iPhone App Directory
RPG Maker VX

Gallery Members Search Calendar Help

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Collapse

>Announcement

Keep an eye out for the upcoming 3rd Quarter Contest!

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What tiles do you use?, As a "home base"
Iysif
post Jan 23 2012, 05:05 PM
Post #1

Group Icon

Type: Designer
Alignment: Neutral Good

I've been trying to decide on a tileset to use for my first game! I know the basics of editing tiles and have managed to replace / alter some but I really need to decide on a basic set to begin from. I like Mack's tiles but have been unable to decide on a version or a specific set. Is 4.3 the latest version? Are there other tilesets that are considered "standard" other than the RTP (I guess that's what you call the tiles that come with the vanilla rmvx?)

I know that most of you experienced members probably make your own tiles, but you must have started somewhere? Was it mack's? was it the RTP with some of mack's/others added in?

Any input would be be appreciated. I find mack's (at least one of the versions I have) tiles lack snow and world map tiles, which I do like. 4.3 seems to have some worldmap tiles but I think it has less of other tiles (significantly less) than the other version of mack's that I have. I have been unable to find an appropriate download for the "normal" mack's tiles or whatever.

Thanks again!

This post has been edited by Iysif: Jan 23 2012, 05:23 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Faalhaasje
post Jan 23 2012, 06:12 PM
Post #2

Dutchman
Group Icon

Type: Coder
Alignment: Chaotic Good

I suggest lunarea's and celianna's tiles. they are good for parralaxing, even for starters. they offer alot of scene possibilities. I really like them smile.gif

--------------------
Y can't we event our own lives ლ(ಠ益ಠლ

+Quote Post

Iysif
post Jan 24 2012, 02:07 AM
Post #3

Group Icon

Hmm I'll give them a look. Do you know where I can find a link to the latest compilation? I've had trouble with unmarked versions in the past

+Quote Post

Lunarea
post Jan 24 2012, 04:15 AM
Post #4

Group Icon

Type: Artist
Alignment: True Neutral

Links to my threads are in my signature. Celianna also has a link to a compilation of her resources in her signature. smile.gif

Oh, and to answer your question ... I've always used RTP as a base, though I've edited and customized it to better suit me. If you're not making custom tiles, RTP would really be your best bet, as it has the most edited/original content.

+Quote Post

Celianna
post Jan 24 2012, 09:09 AM
Post #5

Group Icon

Type: Artist
Alignment: Chaotic Evil

QUOTE (Iysif @ Jan 23 2012, 07:05 PM) *
I know that most of you experienced members probably make your own tiles,

No ... no they don't laugh.gif

Only a select few do, including me and Lunarea (our resources can be found in our signatures), and then we still use other people's tiles as well.

But I think you meant compiling your own tileset together, instead of actually making it. There's a difference. Making it means you're creating the tiles yourself, compiling means you're just taking other people's stuff and putting it into a tileset.

Either way, most people use Mack, or stick with the RTP, and then there are others who simply parallax their maps, using resources found on this community. We've got loads and loads of tiles lying around in our resource showcase forum, take a look. Though good luck finding any snow covered tiles, they're not exactly common. Even I don't bother making them.

The best way to start editing tiles to create your own, would be to start from the RTP and go from there. With very little editing, you can create countless of new things.

+Quote Post

Iysif
post Jan 24 2012, 02:29 PM
Post #6

Group Icon

Ah I appreciate it! I think I'll use mostly mack but edit in some RTP (maybe for world map/snow) and some of those fine looking tilesets you both made to replace some of the mack's I don't like! Here goes nothing!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th September 2014 - 08:56 AM

RPGMakerVX.net is an Privacy Policy, Legal.