iPhone App Directory
RPG Maker VX

Gallery Members Search Calendar Help

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Collapse

>Announcement

Keep an eye out for the upcoming 3rd Quarter Contest!
4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Integrated Reserve Party, A Reserve Party System that is integrated into the DMS
Rating 5 V
modern algebra
post May 29 2009, 04:26 PM
Post #1

Group Icon

Type: Coder
Alignment: Unaligned

Integrated Reserve Party
Version: 1.0d
Author: modern algebra
Date: June 11, 2009

Version History

• <Version 1.0d> 06.11.2009 - Fixed issue with self-targetting skills.
  • <Version 1.0c> 06.10.2009 - Fixed major bug with targeting actors not in the active party with skills.
  • <Version 1.0b> 06.08.2009 - Fixed major bug with event commands that iterated actors
  • <Version 1.0> 05.07.2009 - Original Release

Description

This script allows you to have a reserve party. Basically, this means that it allows you to have a larger number of actors in the party than are active at any given time, and it allows the player to choose which actors are active. This is a system implemented in a number of games in the Final Fantasy series, as well as the Tales series and numerous other RPGs. What makes this different from other reserve party scripts is that it is integrated in the DMS, thus allowing you to access menus such as the status menu on party members in reserve, rather than only in the active party. Characters in reserve can be swapped into the active party by the player at any time and vice versa.

As the game maker, you have a number of options to limit this. You can set a minimum size for the active party, so if you wish the player cannot have fewer than whatever number you set, and as well you can set a maximum size for the reserve party. Further, you can set the percentage of exp received by characters in the reserve party, thus allowing you to limit how much exp is received by characters not in the active party. You can also lock individual actors to either the active party or the reserve.

Features

• Integrated in the DMS, so this gives access to the other options for the reserve members. Thus, you can check the Status or the Equipment of characters in the Reserve Party easily.
  • You can control where the option to alter party composition appears in the command menu and what it is called.
  • You can lock actors in either the active or reserve parties, thus not allowing the player to rotate that character out
  • You can control what percentage of exp is received by actors in reserve.
  • You can enable and disable access to altering party composition option at any time.
  • Easy configuration and a number of options to change settings in game.

Screenshots

Choosing status for a reserve party member:

Switching Party composition

Instructions

Place above Main and below other custom scripts in the Script Editor

Please see inside the header for detailed instructions on configuration and in-game options

Script

Script is too large. Please see the demo, or you can download it as a text document

Credit

• modern algebra

Thanks

• Aranarther and skulper34, for reporting the iteration bug
  • Abimopectore, for reporting the targetting bug

Support

Please post in this topic at rmrk.net with any bug reports or suggestions. You may also post here, and I will provide support, but I may be slower as I do not come on this forum that often.

Known Compatibility Issues

Obviously, it will not work well with other party changing scripts. It does not support an active party larger than 4 characters, but it can support smaller active parties. Just change the constant MAX_MEMBERS in Game_Party to allow for that.

Further, since it is integrated into the DMS, it will likely not work with exotic CMSes. I have, however, taken some effort to make it compatible with scripts that change the DMS in less drastic ways. It ought to work with KGC CustomMenuCommand scripts as long as it is placed below all KGC scripts that utilize CustomMenuCommand. Further, graphical changes that alter how the actor is displayed in the Menu window should also be OK. If it does not work, there are a number of Party Changing Scripts not dependent on the DMS. For instance: KGC Large Party, Prexus' Party Selector or Dargor's Party Changer

It should also work with my Quest System. It likely will not work well with my Multiple Parties script, though I will work on a compatibility patch.

If you encounter any problems, please post here and I will do my best to fix it.

Demo

Integrated Reserve Party Demo.rar

This post has been edited by modern algebra: Jun 12 2009, 01:44 AM

--------------------
ATS 3.0
Quest Journal 2.1a
My Other Scripts
Spoiler:
Alphabetical: A-M; N-Z
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Garkago
post Jun 4 2009, 02:49 AM
Post #2

Group Icon

Quick and easy to use, i'm pretty sure i'm going to use this great script smile.gif

+Quote Post

Wolfram
post Jun 4 2009, 11:16 AM
Post #3

Group Icon

Nice and useful. I love it!

--------------------
Spoiler:
Spoiler: --------------------

©Michele Giulietti (aka Wolfram) 2009
My Project

Save a life. Back up your projects.

©Michele Giulietti (aka Wolfram) & aeriagames 2009

+Quote Post

Aranarther
post Jun 5 2009, 02:07 PM
Post #4

Boredom ;_;
Group Icon

Type: Artist
Alignment: Chaotic Evil

Hmm...i keep having a error when i change all lvls of my party members with a event, in the Game_Intepreter line 144, is it possible to fix this?

--------------------
Current Game In Progress:

Spoiler:

Progress:
  • Storyline: 60%
  • Characters: 100%
  • Enemies: 70%
  • Mapping: 40%
  • Eventing: 10% (I don't like eventing, so I'll do it later/last)
  • Database: 60%
  • System: 95% (only some bugfixes and optimizing left)

+Quote Post

skulper34
post Jun 7 2009, 04:10 AM
Post #5

Group Icon

Type: Undisclosed

There's an error with this by just using the inn. If you make an Inn you get some error. Try it sad.gif

+Quote Post

modern algebra
post Jun 7 2009, 07:26 PM
Post #6

Group Icon

ah, yikes. That is a major problem. I overlooked how iterate_actor_id works. I will fix it as soon as I get to a computer with RMVX.

EDIT::

Alright, it is now fixed. The post is updated to Version 1.0b. Thanks guys, for the bug report.

This post has been edited by modern algebra: Jun 8 2009, 03:56 AM

--------------------
ATS 3.0
Quest Journal 2.1a
My Other Scripts
Spoiler:

+Quote Post

albrave
post Jun 8 2009, 08:33 AM
Post #7

Group Icon

QUOTE (modern algebra @ Jun 7 2009, 07:26 PM) *
ah, yikes. That is a major problem. I overlooked how iterate_actor_id works. I will fix it as soon as I get to a computer with RMVX.

Alright, it is now fixed. The post is updated to Version 1.0b. Thanks guys, for the bug report.

yea heres another error, it says that i need to add "nil:class" to the script so maybe you removed it from script by accident when you fixed the script or maybe i just didnt copy it from txt document (oh and don't worry when making chat for games i dont abreviate, i also make the sentences so short that most of them dont have a period (because its only a segment.)
p.s. it looks like its gonna be a good'n
-alanai.

--------------------

Yeppers thats totally my personality

Infact that describes me too well.......

below, My neighbors, they play dota on wc3 you can really tell right?

+Quote Post

Aranarther
post Jun 8 2009, 12:44 PM
Post #8

Boredom ;_;
Group Icon

Type: Artist
Alignment: Chaotic Evil

Thanks it works perfect for me now :D

--------------------
Current Game In Progress:

Spoiler:

Progress:
  • Storyline: 60%
  • Characters: 100%
  • Enemies: 70%
  • Mapping: 40%
  • Eventing: 10% (I don't like eventing, so I'll do it later/last)
  • Database: 60%
  • System: 95% (only some bugfixes and optimizing left)

+Quote Post

The Nameless One
post Jun 8 2009, 06:34 PM
Post #9

Behind you
Group Icon

Type: Designer
Alignment: Chaotic Good

QUOTE (albrave @ Jun 8 2009, 09:33 AM) *
yea heres another error, it says that i need to add "nil:class" to the script so maybe you removed it from script by accident when you fixed the script or maybe i just didnt copy it from txt document (oh and don't worry when making chat for games i dont abreviate, i also make the sentences so short that most of them dont have a period (because its only a segment.)
p.s. it looks like its gonna be a good'n
-alanai.

Are you using it from a save file? Whenever you add scripts, choose the New Game option.

This post has been edited by The Nameless One: Jun 8 2009, 06:34 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post

Abimopectore
post Jun 9 2009, 07:00 AM
Post #10

Group Icon

This looks like it is exactly what I was looking for, I am new at this, and have been making my first game.
I was surprised that 4 was the maximum number of
characters that you could have in your party, ( and I already created more than that ) so I was glad to find your script here.
I'm not sure if I put it into the game correctly, this is the first time I have done this,
but I don't see the " party " option and the others that are added above my 4 I can't see their stats.
This is what I did.

In the rpg maker vx I pasted your script in the script editor, in the " materials " tab, I deleted the instructions that the game had in it, and left just the " = begin " and " = end " , I pasted your script between these two and clicked on apply. I started pasting from your script where this starts:

#==============================================================================
# CONSTANTS
#==============================================================================

PARTY_CHANGE_RESERVE_EXP_PERCENT = 80 # Percentage of EXP received by reserve actors
PARTY_CHANGE_MENU_INDEX = 5 # The position of the Party option in Menu
PARTY_CHANGE_LABEL = "Party" # The label of the Party option in Menu
PARTY_CHANGE_MIN_ACTIVE_SIZE = 1 # The minimum number of actors in active
PARTY_CHANGE_MAX_RESERVE_SIZE = 4 # The maximum size of reserve party
PARTY_CHANGE_LOCK_ICON_INDEX = 80 # The icon to draw for locked actors

Is this the right place to start? Or should I have started above this or below it?
Any help would be much appreciated, thanks.

Edit: I came back to say that it is now working! It is exactly what I was looking for, thanks for posting this.
I was trying to figure out what went wrong, and apparently it was because I didn't delete the " = begin " and " = end " that was already there,
I thought they were needed, but I deleted them and tried it,and it is working fine. Thanks again.

I came back again, I'm still satisfied with this script, but I found something that creates an error.
When trying to use skills, you have to be careful to only use the ones that are a part of the four active party members in the menu screen.
This is what happens when I try to use a skill to heal one of the people that is not in the active party.

Script 'Scene_skill' line 163: NoMethodError occured.
undefined method ' skill_effect' for nil: Nil Class

This post has been edited by Abimopectore: Jun 9 2009, 11:03 AM

+Quote Post

modern algebra
post Jun 10 2009, 03:09 PM
Post #11

Group Icon

@Abimopectore - That's a problem with the skill thing. Thank you for notifying me and I will fix it. Also, when I said put it under Materials, I meant that you should add a new entry in the Script editor under Materials and paste it there, rather than deleting the instructions. And yeah, =begin and =end comment out the script, but you seem to have figured that out.

@albrave - I'm confused. What is the exact error?

--------------------
ATS 3.0
Quest Journal 2.1a
My Other Scripts
Spoiler:

+Quote Post

Abimopectore
post Jun 10 2009, 03:33 PM
Post #12

Group Icon

Thanks, I still think this is a great script, I just have to remember not to use the skills from someone that isn't in that active party while I'm testing it out.

Just in case someone else has trouble, I also found out that I had to start a new game for the script to take effect. It may be something that most people know, but the first time I tried it I continued a game instead of starting a new one and there was no difference until I started a new game.

+Quote Post

albrave
post Jun 10 2009, 04:04 PM
Post #13

Group Icon

I tried to implement and i start a new game every time i add new scripts, it could be that its not compatable with tankentai but i will try it again.

@ modern algebra - it says nil Nil:class (dont under stand it, i think it may be what i said above but i doubt its incompatable, saw some one on youtube with the tankentai system and your party system.)

--------------------

+Quote Post

Oceano
post Jun 10 2009, 04:19 PM
Post #14

I Shot The Sheriff
Group Icon

Type: Designer

Great work!

--------------------

MISS MAY I
ROSE FUNERAL
EMMURE

+Quote Post

albrave
post Jun 10 2009, 07:26 PM
Post #15

Group Icon

Ok, its in and i am gonna test it (made a few minor edits)

--------------------

+Quote Post

albrave
post Jun 10 2009, 09:18 PM
Post #16

Group Icon

QUOTE (albrave @ Jun 10 2009, 08:26 PM) *
Ok, its in and i am gonna test it (made a few minor edits)

Ok, it works i have retested it, the system just didnt agree with my game.......

--------------------

+Quote Post

modern algebra
post Jun 10 2009, 09:34 PM
Post #17

Group Icon

OK, updated to Version 1.0c - it fixed the bug Abimopectore mentioned.

Sorry for all the bugs, guys.

@albrave. There's more to that error report. Please print out the entire thing, including line number. I'm guessing it's a NoMethodError, which normally prints out like:

Script 'name of Slot in Editor' line xyz: NoMethodError occured.
undefined method 'method name' for nil:NilClass

I need to know all of that information, particularly line number and method name.

I would also like to know where in the Script Editor you put it. It should be between Materials and Main.

Sorry, hadn't seen your post. Good to know it is working.

This post has been edited by modern algebra: Jun 10 2009, 09:35 PM

--------------------
ATS 3.0
Quest Journal 2.1a
My Other Scripts
Spoiler:

+Quote Post

Abimopectore
post Jun 11 2009, 07:59 AM
Post #18

Group Icon

I have already installed this script and tested it, and it does now allow you to use skills in the menu on non-active party members.
I am still having a problem that was in the first one too, and that is when I try to use a skill that in the menu that is targeted toward the user, it goes to the last member of the non-active party, and it will not allow me to use it. I have a skill called " doctor self " and the scope is on the user, to heal HP, but when I try to use it in the menu, it targets the wrong person and will not allow me to use it

Can anyone else use skills in the menu that is targeted toward the user successfully? The skills that allow you to choose one ally work fine, but I can't use this one that targets the user.
Thanks again for posting this script and for fixing the last bug.

+Quote Post

modern algebra
post Jun 12 2009, 01:47 AM
Post #19

Group Icon

Sheesh, this script is bug city. Thanks for reporting that. It is now fixed in the post, updated to 1.0d.

If you wish to do it yourself, it is a minor edit.

Just replace line 534:

CODE
    row = @index / @column_max     # Get current row

with:

CODE
    row = (@index > 100 ? (@index - 100) : @index) / @column_max # Get current row

But it's fixed in the new version anyway, so it is just as easy to get it from there.

--------------------
ATS 3.0
Quest Journal 2.1a
My Other Scripts
Spoiler:

+Quote Post

Abimopectore
post Jun 12 2009, 06:12 AM
Post #20

Group Icon

Thanks for posting a fix, I tested it briefly and it looks like it is working. This is a great script , I really appreciate you posting it on here.
I have a bunch of characters that you can have join the party and it was a surprise to me when I found out you could only have four members in your party,
this script was what I was looking for.

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th August 2014 - 09:32 PM

RPGMakerVX.net is an Privacy Policy, Legal.