iPhone App Directory
RPG Maker VX

Gallery Members Search Calendar Help

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Collapse

>Announcement

The 2nd Quarter Contest has arrived! Go check it out in the Community Announcements now!

> Note for Tutorial Threads

New threads (tutorials) here will go into a moderation queue. You will not see your thread appear when you create it. A moderator will decide if it will be approved or denied.

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> [-Graphics-] Parallax Mapping Techniques
Rating 5 V
DojoDesigns
post Jun 18 2009, 04:05 AM
Post #21

Enigma Machine
Group Icon

Type: Artist

Yo! Thank you so much for this tutorial!

For your efforts to help us break through to incredible maps, you can be guarantted a seat of honor in my credits... This is amazing!

--------------------

PROJECT IN WORKS: Enigma Machine (0% DONE)

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

C-7
post Jun 29 2009, 06:36 PM
Post #22

Group Icon

Type: Musician
Alignment: Unaligned

QUOTE (DojoDesigns @ Jun 18 2009, 12:05 AM) *
Yo! Thank you so much for this tutorial!

For your efforts to help us break through to incredible maps, you can be guarantted a seat of honor in my credits... This is amazing!

Well, thanks! I'm honored. Look for part two of this tutorial this evening!

--------------------

+Quote Post

Guth
post Nov 7 2009, 09:01 PM
Post #23

Stranger than a kitten in a shoe store.
Group Icon

Type: Undisclosed
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral

The Images get too big, and you can't choose what part you want when choosing graphic, it shows up as the blank option (the blue (not the transparent) pattern).

Help please!

--------------------

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

+Quote Post

fmjpr
post Nov 7 2009, 09:28 PM
Post #24

Group Icon

Type: Writer

What? This doesn't even sound related to this tutorial. Clarify what you mean, please.

--------------------
Trailer for It Came From Yesterday: Click Me

This was made by a dear friend of mine. Any support is appreciated! Also, Like the Facebook page while you're at it: It Came From Yesterday

New and improved official site: ICFY

Swagbucks referral link: http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/jbart321

+Quote Post

Guth
post Nov 7 2009, 09:30 PM
Post #25

Stranger than a kitten in a shoe store.
Group Icon

When you make the second layer and import it, once you try and select the image in the event for the second layer, it shows like the blank option, the blue "criss-cross" pattern. Sorry, forgot to tell what I was talking about sad.gif

*Edit* I can choose the image, but when I try to test it, it says "Failed to create image ..."

This post has been edited by Guth: Nov 8 2009, 03:45 PM

--------------------

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

+Quote Post

Noctrama
post Nov 16 2009, 01:19 AM
Post #26

If you haven't seen Ghostbusters, we have nothing to discuss
Group Icon

Type: Designer
Alignment: Neutral Good

Thnx, I was trying to do this, but kept getting messed up on how to make the grids work together. Now I know how to, thanks to you.

+Quote Post

Noctrama
post Nov 16 2009, 01:20 AM
Post #27

If you haven't seen Ghostbusters, we have nothing to discuss
Group Icon

Alignment: Neutral Good

Sorry for double post, accidentwith computer, though message didn't load.

+Quote Post

C-7
post Nov 16 2009, 02:00 AM
Post #28

Group Icon

I'm glad this is helping people!

@Guth: I'm not sure what you're doing wrong. Are you sure you're making a characterset out of your second layer? If its big, you'll likely not see it all in the editor selection windows and, hopefully, most of it will be transparent so of course you'll see the blue and black grid. It is the exact same process as placing a regular non-playable character in the map except you don't give them any commands and the graphic is, of course, much larger.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Mooseface
post Feb 10 2010, 04:53 PM
Post #29

Group Icon

Alignment: Chaotic Good

That's genius!!!!!

Edit: AGH!! I'm so sorry! I didn't realize I totally just necroposted! X___X Forgeev meeee!!!

This post has been edited by Mooseface: Feb 10 2010, 04:56 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post

C-7
post Mar 24 2010, 02:52 AM
Post #30

Group Icon

Just in case, I've added a mediafire link to the main post.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Celianna
post Apr 1 2010, 10:27 PM
Post #31

Group Icon

Alignment: Chaotic Evil

Hey C-7, maybe it's a good idea to link to KGC's Tile-extension script. His script makes it possible to allow different passabilities for tiles, and it works excellent with custom-made parallax maps.

+Quote Post

C-7
post May 18 2010, 03:23 AM
Post #32

Group Icon

Yeah, I've seen a few people doing it. I haven't actually tried it myself--I've tried to keep things as simple as possible, but I'll look into it and probably incorporate it into a part three.

Yes, I'll be making a part three.

--------------------

+Quote Post

IxionVI2
post Jun 4 2010, 11:50 AM
Post #33

Group Icon

hello, i think that this technique is awesome, but i do have some questions if you think you can answer them..
I have been making all my maps using your technique but like you said, the file sizes are HUGE.!!! I have made over 200 parallax maps and my game size is almost at 1 gig..but i am not worried about that.. there are many memory problems that come with making a parallax map game.. One of the problems is that while in the rpgvx editor, after i click on around 15 big parallax maps, rpgvx crashes due to memory. Also when in rpgvx editor, i will click on an event to add the 2ed layer image which is the x3 width and x4 height image, WOW, these images are also so big, and alot of the times, rpgvx crashes when i click on the event. another BIG proble that i discovered today, is i tryed to do a walk threw of all of my maps, i was going to do an in game play threw of just walking onto every map i created. I have over 200 maps.. what i discovered is that after around 20 map, the game Will crash. So i cannot play threw my whole game becasue i will not be able to get past around 20 maps before the game runs out of memory.. I know its not my computer becasue i have 4 gigs of ram... anyways, i have been trying to find another way of making the layer 2 file size not as big.. I have tryed using a picture file instead of the character file because the picture file doeant need to be the x3 width and the x4 height size.. This make the layer 2 file size MUCH smaller, but i am having difficulties making it work. When i go to my map the picture file will move when the actor moves, instead of the picture standing still. How do I stop the picture from moving when the actor does?? if we work at this new way of making layer 2 with pictures, I know we can figure out how to make it work. becasue the actor can still go under the picrure and the actor will be seen going underneath the picture, and this is exactly what we want from a layer 2, but we need to stop the picture from moving, and i dont know how to do that... my game will not work using this parallax map technique because it takes up too much memory, i have worked too hard and long to make my 200 maps, and now it seems that it will all go to waste....i have tryed another method to fix this problem. I tryed deleting the catch script that is the deafult script that comes with rpgvx, but this didnt work, it just made the screen go black and you can onlt hear sounds when playing the game... please help me, i have been working on my game for 6 months now, and now i realzie that i may not be able to even play my game.!!!!! i have attached the error messages that come up when the game crashes
Attached File  rpgvx_1.jpg ( 31.01K ) Number of downloads: 12

Attached File  rpgvx_2.jpg ( 31.02K ) Number of downloads: 9

Attached File  rpgvx_3.png ( 13.2K ) Number of downloads: 9

Attached File  rpgvx_4.jpg ( 52.99K ) Number of downloads: 10

edit--- ok i think i have a solution, i am going to decrease the file size of all my maps, i just decreased one of my maps from 5 MB to 600 KB, so i just have to do this to all 200 of my maps now, and then i will see if this works or not

edit#2---ok decreasing the file size for the parallaxes didnt work, but what i did discover was that, if i delete all of the 2ed layer charactersets, is thta i was able to run threw allo of my maps, so i defeanatly think i have isolated the probelm, which, just happened to be the exact same proble i was already trying to fix.. I need to find away to decrease the file size of the 2ed layer cractersets, but if i try and change the png formate to jpg, it will get rid of the transparecy, and i need the transparency for the 2ed layer.. so i dont know how to fix this problem..hmmmm

This post has been edited by IxionVI2: Jun 5 2010, 08:18 PM

+Quote Post

C-7
post Jun 6 2010, 01:52 AM
Post #34

Group Icon

The point of the character sets was to fix the picture problem. I've never had an issue like you're talking--and I have a TON of maps in my game. There exists a multiple parallax script, (it may just fix this problem for you), but I'll have to pm you the link since its not from this site. I saw your other topic, too, so keep my posted on what happens because I'd like for everyone who sees this to have a solution if one comes up.

--------------------

+Quote Post

IxionVI2
post Jun 6 2010, 02:32 AM
Post #35

Group Icon

QUOTE (C-7 @ Jun 5 2010, 05:52 PM) *
The point of the character sets was to fix the picture problem. I've never had an issue like you're talking--and I have a TON of maps in my game. There exists a multiple parallax script, (it may just fix this problem for you), but I'll have to pm you the link since its not from this site. I saw your other topic, too, so keep my posted on what happens because I'd like for everyone who sees this to have a solution if one comes up.

thast awesome that there is a multiple parallax script, i would like to use it, let me know when you find this script.. anyways, i just used phtoshop and shrunk my game from 800 MB to 400 MB, and this didnt fix my probelm.... im still getting the failed to load bitmat error at line 80, after around 20 maps, i just dont know what to do.............. noooooooooooooooooo, also i am doing a full system visus scan right now, but i doubt this will help at all also... hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

edit-- ok virus scan is complete and found no virus detections... so im back to stuck again..

This post has been edited by IxionVI2: Jun 6 2010, 03:12 AM

+Quote Post

Celianna
post Jun 6 2010, 01:40 PM
Post #36

Group Icon

QUOTE (IxionVI2 @ Jun 6 2010, 05:32 AM) *
thast awesome that there is a multiple parallax script, i would like to use it, let me know when you find this script.. anyways, i just used phtoshop and shrunk my game from 800 MB to 400 MB, and this didnt fix my probelm.... im still getting the failed to load bitmat error at line 80, after around 20 maps, i just dont know what to do.............. noooooooooooooooooo, also i am doing a full system visus scan right now, but i doubt this will help at all also... hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

edit-- ok virus scan is complete and found no virus detections... so im back to stuck again..

To reduce the file sizes of your second layer, only make 1 character set so to speak. Then put !$ in front of the filename so you can make only one character set out of it (3x4 tiles).

That said, have you tried adding the Bitmap fix script into your game to see if it works then?

+Quote Post

IxionVI2
post Jun 6 2010, 06:17 PM
Post #37

Group Icon

QUOTE (Celianna @ Jun 6 2010, 05:40 AM) *
To reduce the file sizes of your second layer, only make 1 character set so to speak. Then put !$ in front of the filename so you can make only one character set out of it (3x4 tiles).

That said, have you tried adding the Bitmap fix script into your game to see if it works then?

on my charactersets, yeah i already only use the upper left corner of the graphic, the rest is blank, and yerterday i just tryed the bitmap fix script.. it didnt help

im not totally sure i undersatnd what youmean by only use one chracterset out of 3x4 tiles... have you found a way to only use the actual graphic with out increaing the size of it by 300%x400%? becsue thats what i have to do in order to use a event graphic....

anywasy, yeah i defantlantly have localized the problem to to the event graphics, i just did another test run after i deleted all of the event graphics and i was able to run threw 200 maps.... do it is defanly not a script error, or corrupt rpgvx data, or anyhting else.. i need to find a way to fix this event graphic failing all the time... if the events didnt have to be x300 by x400 of my graphic, then i know for sure the game would run noramlly... and i cant just make tile sets to use to substitute the event graohics becsue there are not enought tiles sets in the world to be enought to cover all of my event graphics, let alone rpgvx only uses 5 tile sets, and i do have all of the extended tile script scripts, but this is not the answer......i really wish i could use 2 parrallexs i my game instead of one per map, that way i dont have to use evnt graphics as my second layer.. a second parrallax would be the perfect fix for my game......hm..... where is this paralax script??

This post has been edited by IxionVI2: Jun 6 2010, 07:51 PM

+Quote Post

feedingwolves
post Jun 27 2010, 02:16 PM
Post #38

Group Icon

Thanks for the tute! I'm definately going to try this...sometime...

This is probably a stupid question...

When using parallaxes, does the whole game have to be parallaxes or can you hve a mixture of normal maps and parallaxes?

+Quote Post

mitchi.exe
post Jun 27 2010, 03:40 PM
Post #39

Welcome to RMVX.net, B*tch
Group Icon

When using parallaxes, does the whole game have to be parallaxes or can you hve a mixture of normal maps and parallaxes?

You can have both.

--------------------

Spoiler:

CoA Playable Character Spr completion: 7/13 (~54%)
Spoiler:

+Quote Post

Celianna
post Jun 27 2010, 03:55 PM
Post #40

Group Icon

You know, instead of using event graphics to make a top layer, you could easily make a picture out of your top layer (make sure it's the same size as the entire map), and then use the 'show picture' command. Use OriginalWij's fixed image to get make the image stay stationary on the screen. Put the code [FIXED] in your graphic's name and poof you got it. The bad thing is that you need to tint the picture individually if you're tinting your map as well. Here's the script:

Spoiler:
CODE
#==============================================================================
# Sprite_Picture
#==============================================================================

class Sprite_Picture < Sprite
#--------------------------------------------------------------------------
# Update (Overwrite)
#--------------------------------------------------------------------------
def update
super
if @picture_name != @picture.name
@picture_name = @picture.name
if @picture_name != ""
self.bitmap = Cache.picture(@picture_name)
end
end
if @picture_name == ""
self.visible = false
else
fixed = @picture_name.include?("[FIXED]") ? true : false
self.visible = true
if @picture.origin == 0
self.ox = 0
self.oy = 0
else
self.ox = self.bitmap.width / 2
self.oy = self.bitmap.height / 2
end
self.x = @picture.x
self.y = @picture.y
# added
self.x += (self.ox - ($game_map.display_x / 8)) if fixed
self.y += (self.oy - ($game_map.display_y / 8)) if fixed
self.z = 100 + @picture.number
self.zoom_x = @picture.zoom_x / 100.0
self.zoom_y = @picture.zoom_y / 100.0
self.opacity = @picture.opacity
self.blend_type = @picture.blend_type
self.angle = @picture.angle
self.tone = @picture.tone
end
end
end

It will certainly reduce your filesizes.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2014 - 06:42 PM

RPGMakerVX.net is an Privacy Policy, Legal.