iPhone App Directory
RPG Maker VX

Gallery Members Search Calendar Help

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Collapse

>Announcement

Keep an eye out for the upcoming 3rd Quarter Contest!

> Note for Tutorial Threads

New threads (tutorials) here will go into a moderation queue. You will not see your thread appear when you create it. A moderator will decide if it will be approved or denied.

Closed TopicStart new topic
> [-Graphics-] Recoloring Using Hue/Saturation., Improper Pain Free Recoloring... =D
Venndetta
post May 20 2009, 11:21 AM
Post #1

Terrorists of Peace
Group Icon

Type: Undisclosed
Alignment: Lawful Neutral

I think most people know how to do this but just in case some don't know, I'll post it here...

First off we'll need a sprite and use him for recoloring... (D'uh... >.>)

Let's take this green haired villager as an example.

|---Getting the Skin and Hair Template---|

What we want to do next is get a template of his skin and his hair... But the question is how we'll do it?

Step 1 - Produce at least 3 copies of this sprite

Step 2 - To get the Skin Template simply take one copy of the sprite and start deleting parts of his body that's covering
his skin BUT don't delete the visible skin... (I think we all know what the skin looks like in sprites now right?).

Assuming you got it correctly, this should be the product of the work you've done.

Only the visible skin is not deleted.

Step 3 - To get the Hair Template, take another copy of the sprite and start deleting parts of his body except the hair.

If you've done it correctly, it should result into this...

Only the hair is left.

Now that we've got both templates, what do we do next?

|---Applying the Templates in the Hued or Edited Sprites---|

Step 4 - Like the title that was stated above, We'll apply it to the colored or Hued sprites by opening the 2
templates and the original sprite in Photoshop.

Step 5 - Next, we'll start changing the Hue and Saturation and Lightness of the original sprite by selecting it
and go to Image > Adjustments > Hue/Saturation option. (Just play around with it until you get to the color you want.)

Step 6 - Now that you've changed the color of the sprite, even his skin is changed as well... so to fix that up, just copy the skin
template and paste it over to the original sprites changed skin. The result...

And there you have it... a recolored sprite... If you want, you can also use the Hair Template and paste it over to his changed hair.

You can also changed the Hue/Saturation of the hair template to have different hair colors as well... Just remember to keep the skin
a constant color... (D'uh... >.>)

Well that's just about it... simple and easy... should take you the work less in 20 minutes... You can make as many recolors you want
with this...

This post has been edited by Ven Juliene M. Corpuz: May 21 2009, 04:08 AM

--------------------
My Current Project in VX...

Special thanks to Hanzo Kimura for my game logo.

Progress: 40% ... o_-

NOTICE: Project is on hold due to emotional stress.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Trelin
post May 20 2009, 07:43 PM
Post #2

Project Leader
Group Icon

This is pretty neat, only problem... when you just mess with the hue or the colours they look a little out of place with the rest of the RTP. But if you don't have a problem with that than all power to ya tongue.gif

--------------------

In the name of God, impure souls of the living dead shall be banished into eternal Damnation. Amen

Spoiler:
My tutorials
Simple Submarine
Bridges made simple
Events Battle System
TEBS

+Quote Post

Venndetta
post May 21 2009, 01:31 AM
Post #3

Terrorists of Peace
Group Icon

Yah. laugh.gif I just discovered this myself... and I think this is how some people do their recolors and stuff. But if I'm the 1st one to actually post this here, then yay! :3

P.S. The sprite above is HEFG's steampunk sprite. I made recolors of them since he's gone.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Sevith
post May 21 2009, 03:19 AM
Post #4

Retired Bear Fighter. ಠ_ಠ
Group Icon

Type: Designer
Alignment: Neutral Good

This isn't the proper way to recolor. Can you do it this way? Yes, but it'll give you, as Trelin has pointed out, the wrong colors. These colors won't blend in with the RTP and look bad. If you want to learn how to properly recolor, I suggest checking out Pine's tutorial: http://www.rpgmakervx.net/index.php?showtopic=11341 .

But if I'm the 1st one to actually post this here, then yay! :3

You're not :\. There are an unfortunate number of tutorials that suggest this "easy" method, and unfortunately, a lot of people use this method for their recolors. The results are... bad. Help spread proper recoloring smile.gif .

--------------------
QUOTE (nagilhs @ 2 May 2010)
this guys just a power crazed jack ass.

+Quote Post

Venndetta
post May 21 2009, 03:54 AM
Post #5

Terrorists of Peace
Group Icon

QUOTE (Sevith @ May 21 2009, 04:19 AM) *
This isn't the proper way to recolor. Can you do it this way? Yes, but it'll give you, as Trelin has pointed out, the wrong colors. These colors won't blend in with the RTP and look bad. If you want to learn how to properly recolor, I suggest checking out Pine's tutorial: http://www.rpgmakervx.net/index.php?showtopic=11341 .

You're not :\. There are an unfortunate number of tutorials that suggest this "easy" method, and unfortunately, a lot of people use this method for their recolors. The results are... bad. Help spread proper recoloring smile.gif .

Well at least I just tried letting out my ideas anyway...*bonks head* I CAN RECOLOR THE PROPER WAY... It's just that recoloring the proper way is a little more time consuming and caused me back pains... xP
And I made some sprite recolors using these templates myself since HEFG was not around in the forums anymore... T_T how sad...

QUOTE (Sevith @ May 21 2009, 03:19 AM) *
I suggest checking out Pine's tutorial: http://www.rpgmakervx.net/index.php?showtopic=11341 .

That's the method that I was referring to that caused me back pains...xD

This post has been edited by Ven Juliene M. Corpuz: May 21 2009, 04:19 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post

hkoz
post Nov 27 2011, 10:34 PM
Post #6

Group Icon

Alignment: Chaotic Good

thank u for the good tutorial XD it helped alot biggrin.gif

--------------------
My Projects:
-The Lost Myth(in progress)
-Soul list (my game for the free for all contest 2011)

Spoiler:

I support:

+Quote Post

Pentagonbuddy
post Nov 28 2011, 08:25 AM
Post #7

Obligated To Love <3
Group Icon

Alignment: Unaligned

Do check the date before posting in topics, as we have a rule against necroposting! This is quite an old tutorial by now, so closing this~

--------------------

+Quote Post

Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd September 2014 - 05:52 AM

RPGMakerVX.net is an Privacy Policy, Legal.