iPhone App Directory
RPG Maker VX

Gallery Members Search Calendar Help

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Collapse

>Announcement

Keep an eye out for the upcoming 3rd Quarter Contest!

> Note for Tutorial Threads

New threads (tutorials) here will go into a moderation queue. You will not see your thread appear when you create it. A moderator will decide if it will be approved or denied.

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Closed TopicStart new topic
> Beginner's Guide to Events, How to do the most simplest of things.
Rating 4 V
Harmill
post Mar 14 2008, 01:52 AM
Post #1

Group Icon

Type: Writer

It's understandable that not one everyone is at the same level with RPG Maker. Some have all the events memorized and can improvise to create their own events. Others struggle with simple events like Teleporting or creating a simple cutscene. Well, this guide will cover the most basic of questions. If anyone wants me to add a question/solution, then just tell me.

Table of Contents
1. How to make a Teleport Event
2. How to make a Cutscene.
3. Types of Movement
4. How to make a Treasure Chest
5. Make a character appear during a cutscene and then leave.
6. How to change your Title Screen or Icon Set.
7. How to change your battle backgrounds.
8. Quick Events
9. Priority
10. Changing your initial party members.
11. Letting the Player choose a character's name.

1. Teleport
I'll start with this one because it is - hands down - the easiest thing to event.

Make sure you are currently on Event mode in the editor, and right click wherever you want the teleport to occur. You will notice a small window with some options comes up. Look for 'Quick Event Creation' and go over to 'Transfer'. Take note the 'Ctrl+1' command to the right.

The box labeled 'Destination' is where you choose where you get teleported to. The box labeled 'Direction' allows you to pick which way you will be facing after the teleport.

Now, the Ctrl+1 provides an even faster way to make these teleport events. Instead of right clicking on the tile, you just press Ctrl+1. Try it out for yourself.

2. Creating a cutscene that doesn't loop.

This has been a frequent question, too. My event keeps looping! What do I do? Well, it's simple.

It's repeating itself because it's set to 'Autorun' and there's no switch to stop the cycle.

Here's a screenshot:

Circle #1 shows the Conditions in which an event will occur. If left alone, the event can activate anytime, depending on the Trigger (Circle #2).

Circle #2 decides how an event starts. The options are:
1. Action Button: Event starts when you press space at/on the event.
2. Player Touch: Event starts as soon as the player steps on or tries to move on the event.
3. Event Touch: Event starts as soon as the player touches the event.
4. Autorun: Event starts right away. Keep in mind that the event will continuously loop until there's a 'switch' to cancel the actions.
5. Parallel Process: Event starts right away but player can move around during the event.

If you want the event to start right away but not loop, you have to insert a switch at the end(or whenever the looping stops) of the event. A switch is created by going to Page1 of the events list, and clicking on 'Control Switches', which is found under Game Progression. Name your switch, then create a second page to the event. Just click the big 'New Page' button found at the top of the screenshot. With this 2nd page, you can set the Conditions in Circle #1 to the switch you just created. In doing so, the event plays, and when it's done, it flips a switch, which triggers the events on Page2. But we leave Page2 blank, and keep Circle #2 set to 'Action Button' so that nothing happens and the event finishes.

3. Types of Movement

***Now, let's take a break and take advantage of this visual screenshot to explain some other things.
Under the heading Options, you'll see checkboxes for Walking Anim., Stepping Anim., Direction Fix, and Through.
Walking Animation: If this is checked, that means it will display the walking animation whenever that sprite moves. If it's unchecked, the sprite will seemingly float around, without moving it's legs or arms.
Stepping Animation: If this is checked, the sprite will appear to be moving without actually travelling anywhere. Even though the event is sitting idly, it's still swaying its arms and moving its legs. Think of it like the sprite is on a treadmill.
Direction Fix: If this is checked, the sprite won't turn to face you when you talk to it. This is useful if you want to approach two NPCs having a conversation, ignoring you while talking. Keep in mind that this will affect the event when you try to move it around with the 'Set Move Route' command. You will have to go to Set Move Route, and on the third column, click on 'Direction Fix OFF' if you want that event to start moving or changing directions.
Through: If this is checked, the sprite can move through objects and won't get stuck. Good for ghostly characters or spirits, etc.

Now, to actually move a character, you have to know the name of that character's event. At the top left of each event, they'll have a default name of EV# (the # is the number of the event on that map). This makes it hard to remember which event is which, so we can rename it something better. Like, in my scenario above, name the Mother event 'Mom' or 'Mother'. Once you know which event is which, you can move them by going to Page2 of the events list, clicking on 'Set Move Route' under Movement and in the drop down box on the upper left, choose which event to move. Then just select the different commands through the three columns as you see fit.

4. How to make a Treasure Chest.

This is just as simple as the teleport event. You can do the whole right click --> 'Quick Event Creation' --> Treasure Chest method or you can simply press Ctrl+3. Select the contents from the drop down boxes and the program does the rest for you.

5. Make a character appear during a cutscene and then leave.

So you want a character to appear part way through a cutscene and either leave partway or at the end. Well, here's some screenshots to aid in the explanation.

Alright. So you want the game to start out in your room, sleeping/thinking/getting dressed, etc and then your mom comes in and tells you it's breakfast and then leaves. Well, here's how to pull this off. The mommy will appear right where her event is placed. Just to clarify. The blank event is where we place the cutscene's content. So now let's take a look at the cutscene event.

OK, so Ralph starts off talking to himself. Then his mom appears. Her appearance is triggered by a switch. In this case, I've named the switch "MomAppears". Now after this switch is turned ON, mom will be on screen. She tells Ralph to come eat breakfast and then do his chores. After some dialog, she leaves. There's 2 methods you can make her leave.
1. Simply turn OFF the switch that triggered her appearance. So in this case, we turn off the 'MomAppears' switch.
2. You can also turn ON a different switch, and on the second page of Mother's event, you can set the Condition to that new switch. Make sure that there's no graphic selected on the second page. With this new switch ON, she will disappear.

Now let's check out Mom's event to see how she's affected.

Oh wow, this event is empty, isn't it? All that's needed is her graphic, and her condition for appearance. Notice that the switch 'MomAppears' is selected as the 'Condition' for her to appear. If it's OFF, this event won't occur and she won't appear. So we turn it ON to make her appear, and turn it OFF to make her disappear.

6. How to change your Title Screen or change an Icon Set

You want to put in your own Title to get away from that boring town screen, right? This is incredibly simple. So you have the image that you're going to use as your Title screen. All you do is rename that image, 'Title', and import it under 'System'. Voila, your title screen has been changed.

Changing your icon set to a more updated one is just as simple. Take your image, rename it 'IconSet', and import it under 'System'.

7. How to get battle backgrounds instead of the 'wavy' default ones.
The only way to get some actual battle backgrounds is with a script. Here's a link to a script by Synthesize that allows battle backgrounds. Please note I haven't tested it so any questions should be posted in the appropriate thread.
Synthesize's Battle Backgrounds

8. Quick Events

There are four events that Enterbrain decided were used so often they would just turn them into Quick Events. The four Quick Events are: Teleport, Door, Treasure Chest, and Inn. You create them by either right clicking a tile and going down to 'Quick Event Creation' and clicking on whatever event you want. Or you can do the shortcut and press Ctrl+#.
Ctrl+1 = Teleport
Ctrl+2 = Door
Ctrl+3 = Treasure Chest
Ctrl+4 = Inn
Simply pick where to teleport, what the chest contains, or how much the Inn costs and the program does the rest for you.

9. Priority

What is priority? Priority is which plane an event occurs on. More accurately, whether the event is beneath the characters (ie. must be stepped on), same level (NPCs), or above the characters (birds or butterflies). Circle #3 back in the reference screenshot at the beginning of this post shows where you set the Priority of events.

If you've ever made a sign in a village before that says something, you most likely have the sign as a tile, while the event just as the message. By default, this message event is set at 'Below Characters', which means you'd have to be ON the sign to be able to read it. To people who can never get their signs to be readable, it's because you forgot to set the Priority to 'Same as Characters'.

Here is a rundown of how each Priority can affect the triggering of an event. Props to Alibi for the explanation:

You see, events have three priority settings: "Below Characters", "Same as Characters", and "Above Characters."
-When an event is assigned any (IIRC) graphic, it automatically becomes "Same as Characters." That's why you can't walk over/under events after you assign them a "person" graphic. So it changes the "passable" nature of the event... for one thing.
-It also effects the visibility of the event. Something "above" the character will have a higher priority in visibility.. and will cover up your character.
-'CONTACT'** with events also change in accordance to the three settings. While being in an adjacent tile counts as "contact" when the character and event (or event and event with the "Event Touch" trigger...) are the same priority... the player won't be in contact with the event if its priority is set to "Below Characters" or "Above Characters".

This will probably be explained better by some pictures...
(Shown in "elevation")

Thank you Alibi for this. As for the rest of you, please remember that if you want a question to be added, PM me or say so in this topic.

10. How to change your starting party

To change which party members you start the game with, enter the Database, and go to the 'System' tab. It's the second last tab in between 'Common Events' and 'Terms'. Once in the System tab, look at the top left for Initial Party. Edit the actors in that field as you see fit.

11. Letting the Player choose a character's name.

If you want the players to be able to name the characters, then go to Page3 of the events list. Look for 'Name Input Processing' under Scene Control. Choose the letter limit for the character's name, and you're done.

To have that character's name said in messages no matter what the player names him, use \n[id] and it will use that characters name. Replace 'id' with the Actor number of the character in the Database. So the first character in the Database would use the command \n[1].

This is it for now. If you have any further questions that should be included, then inform me and I'll try to get them up sometime soon.

This post has been edited by Harmill: Mar 24 2008, 08:45 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Retired-Pine
post Mar 14 2008, 01:57 AM
Post #2

Not a democracy
Group Icon

Type: Spriter
Alignment: Lawful Evil

Awesome, stickied Harmill, thanks a lot man! Please keep on updating this thing

--------------------

Spoiler:

Awards
Spoiler:

Games I support [under construction]
Spoiler:

+Quote Post

Harmill
post Mar 14 2008, 06:19 AM
Post #3

Group Icon

Hmmm....I'm actually wondering whether this is better suited for the VX Help and Support forum. Sure this is considered a tutorial, but it might catch more attention if this was in the forum people would go to to ask their question. Y'know?

Anyways, I'm doing a quick update. Realized I didn't include the famous "How do I change titlescreen?" question.

+Quote Post

Retired-Pine
post Mar 14 2008, 07:24 PM
Post #4

Not a democracy
Group Icon

Ok, you want me to move it? Just say the magical words and I will. It seems more suited there to me as well

--------------------

Spoiler:

Awards
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

+Quote Post

Harmill
post Mar 14 2008, 07:48 PM
Post #5

Group Icon

Sure, move it.

+Quote Post

Metian
post Mar 14 2008, 10:22 PM
Post #6

Lord of the Recolours.
Group Icon

Type: Undisclosed

Harmill.. He said "Just say the magical words and I will"..

And you say "Sure, move it",, no no no.. it's Sure, move it PLEASE tongue.gif..

No just jokin.. but need to say, this "Guide" looks nice.!! thanks men smile.gif

--------------------

Metian.TheDarkUnknown

+Quote Post

Retired-Pine
post Mar 15 2008, 12:28 AM
Post #7

Not a democracy
Group Icon

I have a suggestion Harmill, do a small tut on quick events wink.gif

--------------------

Spoiler:

Awards
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

+Quote Post

SilentBackstabbe...
post Mar 15 2008, 07:19 AM
Post #8

Sejourner
Group Icon

Alignment: Unaligned

Harmill, you are kicking! Keep up the good work man, it will surely help lots of newbie.

SBS

--------------------

+Quote Post

jeremyah
post Mar 16 2008, 06:19 PM
Post #9

Berserk
Group Icon

Type: Artist

sweet tutorial. thanks alot ... .je.

--------------------
" you're a huge stud. i said it, man!"

+Quote Post

Harmill
post Mar 19 2008, 10:33 PM
Post #10

Group Icon

Alibi's Priority explanation has been added. Keep telling me things to add so this can be as complete as possible. Hopefully this guide will be able to reduce the amount of repeated threads.

+Quote Post

Jumbo
post Mar 19 2008, 10:58 PM
Post #11

Highest and Lowest of all Nigel
Group Icon

Type: Designer

I think lots of people will thank you for this tutorial.
Thank You, Harmill.

--------------------

Hello, I am jumbo!
As you can see, I don't post in RMVX related threads (well, sometimes...).
That's because I don't like VX, I'm staying here just because of some friends I met.
So, you'll only see me in the Fun&Games forum.

+Quote Post

cyrus_the_virus
post Apr 1 2008, 06:00 AM
Post #12

Group Icon

Type: Coder

blink.gif i get events i work with them alot and having fun while doing so
but 1 thing is bothering me when i play the game everything works my events are good and the graphics are vx'ish
but i made a boss with text and so when that's over the event is erased as usual but if i then walk away into another map and back the event is also back how can i stop that from happening smile.gif
please help me then i can get back to my game which has
500x500 world map
already 23 maps
areas to stop creatures from getting on roads
and a good story nice characters and good battles

--------------------

+Quote Post

hikkiko
post Apr 8 2008, 12:45 PM
Post #13

Group Icon

A question about choosing the player character name: I set mine to autorun as I want the player to choose the name at the very beginning. But after inputting the name and submitting, the event will run again and ask to enter a name again as it is autorun. Is there any way I can make it run once only at the start of the game? Thanks.

+Quote Post

Alibi
post Apr 8 2008, 12:52 PM
Post #14

Self-Proclaimed Narcissist
Group Icon

Do a "find" command for "Creating a cutscene that doesn't loop", and you'll find your answer in Harmill's first post.

Short version (or if you're too lazy to scroll up, heh)
1-At the end of your event commands, turn on Self-Switch A or a Specific Switch.
2-Create a new page to that event.
3-Set the Condition on that page that corresponds to whatever switch you used in step 1.

--------------------
projects:
» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

+Quote Post

RegalKain
post Apr 14 2008, 09:48 PM
Post #15

Group Icon

Much appreciation, just got VX a few days back and have enjoyed it alot so far. And this has really helped me understand a few things I didn't before. (Like the titlescreen thing ^^;; ) So yeah big props and much apprciation. :: Goes back to lurking to see what else he can figure out by way of this place.::

--------------------

+Quote Post

Diablo5141
post Apr 16 2008, 03:44 PM
Post #16

Group Icon

Type: Coder

I still have a bit of a problem with the Character entering then leaving, Say i wanted the character to move around in the room a bit before leaving. (Trying to do this with the mains sister, but she refuses to move when she enters the room. Not sure if its my coding i'm doing wrong, but when i set it for her to jump to the side or somthing, She does that fine, but she just won't move (walk) anywhere.

--------------------
"Your base is now belong to us."

We all love the Japanese

"I did not sleep with that women...But i will be resigning as president!"

We all love the Violent Americans

+Quote Post

kiruha
post Apr 22 2008, 04:28 AM
Post #17

In Soviet Russia, RPG Makes you!
Group Icon

Thanks! I never thought about all that stuff.

You're a genius.

--------------------
My Current Game:

Games I Support!

+Quote Post

nyzbadboy02
post Apr 22 2008, 04:59 AM
Post #18

Group Icon

QUOTE (Diablo5141 @ Apr 16 2008, 04:36 PM) *
I still have a bit of a problem with the Character entering then leaving, Say i wanted the character to move around in the room a bit before leaving. (Trying to do this with the mains sister, but she refuses to move when she enters the room. Not sure if its my coding i'm doing wrong, but when i set it for her to jump to the side or somthing, She does that fine, but she just won't move (walk) anywhere.

Post a screenshot. I'd think the passability on whatever tile you're using might be set to "x".

+Quote Post

Moogle
post May 1 2008, 05:40 PM
Post #19

Group Icon

Thanks I've been tampering with my copy of VX since I got it and i worked out somethings that are here but i was really struggling with others so thanks

--------------------

+Quote Post

leino
post May 2 2008, 05:27 AM
Post #20

Scmlurker
Group Icon

I have to say that I don't really get the loop thing, at all x.x
When I tested the "5. Make a character appear during a cutscene and then leave."
and made a scene exactly like it, it still looped. It was the same commands and stuff..

This post has been edited by leino: May 2 2008, 05:27 AM

+Quote Post

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd July 2014 - 06:28 AM

RPGMakerVX.net is an Privacy Policy, Legal.