iPhone App Directory
RPG Maker VX

Gallery Members Search Calendar Help

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Collapse

>Announcement

The 2nd Quarter Contest has arrived! Go check it out in the Community Announcements now!

Closed TopicStart new topic
> RPG maker VX specific scripting tutorial!?
trysil
post Feb 20 2009, 03:19 PM
Post #1

Group Icon

Type: Undisclosed

Is there a scripting tutorial out there somewhere that teaches scripting from a
RPG VX specific standpoint? A lot of RUBY tutorials but haven't found any that
teaches how to script in RPG VX.

What I mean is a collection of tutorials rather than a forum... biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by trysil: Feb 20 2009, 04:41 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

BigEd781
post Feb 20 2009, 06:42 PM
Post #2

No method: 'stupid_title' found for 'nil:NilClass`
Group Icon

Type: Coder
Alignment: Chaotic Good

Here is my opinion on this (whether you want it or not smile.gif)

If you study just ruby first you will be a lot farther ahead than if you study "VX Related scripting (which I guess means RGSS2 classes). The reason is that the language is the same. People can argue about whether RGSS2 is technically it's own language or an API, but from a user's standpoint it is an API. That means that it is a collection of classes and data structures that make our lives easier. Now, if you already know ruby, it will be easy for you to swoop in and get familiar with the scripting side of rpg maker. However, if you study "VX related scripting tutorials", you will not get a sense of the bigger picture. You will learn how to create windows, or how to modify the menu, but you won't learn the fundamentals of object oriented programming, and you will not learn concepts like polymorphism, and you will not understand the difference between a strongly typed dynamic language and a strongly statically typed language. The list could go on. Learning ruby will teach you how to be a programmer, which will in turn allow you to write much more impressive code in rpg maker. The other way around is like learning how to play football by watching it on TV. You will pick up a few things, but you will never progress beyond a certain point.

My $.02

--------------------
My blog - It's awesome, I assure you
While sloppy writing does not invariably mean sloppy thinking, we've generally found the correlation to be strong -- and we have no use for sloppy thinkers. If you can't yet write competently, learn to. - Eric Raymond

---
My awards for being so awesome
Spoiler:

+Quote Post

Getdizzy
post Feb 20 2009, 11:06 PM
Post #3

Group Icon

Alignment: Unaligned

Wrong fiefdom

Moved.

+Quote Post

Gingercake
post Mar 2 2009, 12:07 AM
Post #4

I want a Mokona too....
Group Icon

Type: Designer
Alignment: Neutral Good

QUOTE (BigEd781 @ Feb 20 2009, 01:42 PM) *

If you study just ruby first you will be a lot farther ahead than if you study "VX Related scripting (which I guess means RGSS2 classes). The reason is that the language is the same. People can argue about whether RGSS2 is technically it's own language or an API, but from a user's standpoint it is an API. That means that it is a collection of classes and data structures that make our lives easier. Now, if you already know ruby, it will be easy for you to swoop in and get familiar with the scripting side of rpg maker. However, if you study "VX related scripting tutorials", you will not get a sense of the bigger picture. You will learn how to create windows, or how to modify the menu, but you won't learn the fundamentals of object oriented programming, and you will not learn concepts like polymorphism, and you will not understand the difference between a strongly typed dynamic language and a strongly statically typed language. The list could go on. Learning ruby will teach you how to be a programmer, which will in turn allow you to write much more impressive code in rpg maker. The other way around is like learning how to play football by watching it on TV. You will pick up a few things, but you will never progress beyond a certain point.

My $.02

I totally agree there. Personally, I've always wanted to program games (though I've found its not exactly what I'm into, I'm more in the designing aspect), and when I learned about RPGMaker (back when XP was just coming out) I always wanted to be the person who was able to make the awesome scripts for battle systems and what-not. After messing with RMXP a while, I started learning the C programming language for fun (via a "For Dummies" book, which actually works rather well), which made a lot more sense because I had learned about variables (assigning, calling, etc.) from RMXP, as well as some other things. I later went onto a few object oriented programming languages, Visual Basic and Visual C# to be specific, but never finished learning the languages. I, however, did learn a lot from them. Now, years after I ever set eyes on RMVX, I can do small edits to RGSS2 code without actually knowing the coding language at all.

In general, learn some sort of other programming language, or even Ruby itself (though its way more complicated to me than C is, then again its also object oriented lol) and then you can pretty much just look at the code and say "OH! Now it all makes sense!" and start coding away!

[By the way, just noticed the date on this, sorry if it is a rather old post by a week, just thought I should say something :x]

--------------------
My Signature
(Its like a portable profile xD)

*Gasp* I have a deviantArt now, come check it out! http://gingercake725.deviantart.com/
Yep, I'm a sucker for free pageviews :P

My SigBars
Spoiler:

---
My SigStuff
Spoiler:

Fun-fun Quiz Stuff

Haiku-styled poems
Spoiler:

Dripping ruby rain
Leaking from a crystal heart
hanging among the trees

A heart of bright gold
Corroded em'rald green
Pierced with icy lance

A light in the dark
Embraced by the coldest depths
Refused hope's last wish

Moon in the morning --
A sil'vry cresent of light
On an orange canvas

With a pen in hand
I can raise nations from dust
Or tear it to ash

Never clsoe your mind
Free your imagination
Unleash your true dreams

A single picture
A moment in time held still
Always to be seen

There, an apple sits
Dark red, the color of blood
Crying once bitten

Skies of baby blue
In the infinite beyond
Always out of reach

A plastic device
Warmed by my aching fingers
Texting to my friends

A bright ray of light
Breaking through the clouds above
Upon a trash heap

Rain falls from on high
Crashing to the ground, it drops
Music to my ears

A pink pen, why's that?
I ponder this and answer
A pink pen, why not?

To be who I am
Is to disagree with what
Others think I am

Throw rocks at the water
Watch the ripples that follow
Waves that shake the world

Sit in the corner
Set your tears free on the world
Drown away sorrow

Ice-encrusted hair
Blowing with the frozen snow
A story to tell

I know there's a lot of them, but its really only a small selection of what I've written ;P
Leave a comment on my profile here of the ones you like, or just your general thoughts about my haiku-styled poems!

My rating system for games
Spoiler:
1 - Makes-me-wanna-gouge-my-eyes-out bad
2 - My eyes bleed a bit upon viewing it, but in a bad way
3 - I *sigh* at the mundane-ness of it
4 - It was a little better than "okay"
5 - I drooled over the awesomeness that it is!

My Pandora profile and music!
Random Unpronounceable Names
Spoiler:
Yquex'suhthzik Tan'kivrurstitht
Kakh'ittizhi Jjygiut
Lvi'riyk Avbt'ytraunvti
Byayjio'kithitht Ulth'izha'evrithli

Youtube Favorites :3
Spoiler:
---
My Quotes
Spoiler:

QUOTE (BigEd)
Hold on, let me use my psychic powers to solve your problem...oh crap, it didn't work, sorry
QUOTE (BigEd -- to a beginner about what should be learned first)
Switches.

For the love of all that is holy, switches.
QUOTE (Malexos)
And just so you know, i've just adopted you as my new god. :mellow:
QUOTE (The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time Commercial)
In the end, willst thou soar? Or willst thou suck?
QUOTE (Shigeru Miyamoto)
"Video-games are bad for you? That's what they said about Rock 'N' Roll."

+Quote Post

BigEd781
post Mar 2 2009, 12:23 AM
Post #5

Group Icon

QUOTE (Gingercake @ Mar 1 2009, 04:07 PM) *
In general, learn some sort of other programming language, or even Ruby itself (though its way more complicated to me than C is, then again its also object oriented lol) and then you can pretty much just look at the code and say "OH! Now it all makes sense!" and start coding away!

[By the way, just noticed the date on this, sorry if it is a rather old post by a week, just thought I should say something :x]

Yes, C is a simple language that makes it very easy to shoot your own foot off smile.gif. Each language has it's own lessons to teach and I would recommend learning a language like C before ruby to anyone who is serious about software development (though I didn't).

Also, I don't mind you reviving old topics if you have some useful input to add (which you did).

--------------------
While sloppy writing does not invariably mean sloppy thinking, we've generally found the correlation to be strong -- and we have no use for sloppy thinkers. If you can't yet write competently, learn to. - Eric Raymond

---
Spoiler:

+Quote Post

Zeriab
post Mar 4 2009, 08:25 PM
Post #6

Group Icon

I'll add that C is more complicated than Ruby is to me, so it can be different from person to person.
I have not seen a RGSS2 tutorial which assumed the reader already was decently good at Ruby.

--------------------

+Quote Post

BigEd781
post Mar 4 2009, 09:27 PM
Post #7

Group Icon

QUOTE (Zeriab @ Mar 4 2009, 12:25 PM) *
I'll add that C is more complicated than Ruby is to me, so it can be different from person to person.
I have not seen a RGSS2 tutorial which assumed the reader already was decently good at Ruby.

C as a language is very simple. If you have a problem in C, you are going to solve it by using variables, pointers, functions, and structs. that's all the language offers. Using the language is a different story and requires a lot more knowledge of how the underlying hardware works, but as a language it is about as simple as it gets,

--------------------

---
Spoiler:

+Quote Post

Rozenblade1
post Jun 2 2009, 05:38 AM
Post #8

Group Icon

Type: Writer

I'm learning Ruby in hopes of gaining a greater understanding of RGSS2. I have always wanted to mess around with battle systems and what not. I have looked into a few different online tutorials for Ruby, then I just went to a book store and grabbed a book on it (which works best for me)... I have no prior programming experience, but I seem to be picking up Ruby pretty well.

--------------------

rozenBLADE games

+Quote Post

twinrose
post Jun 5 2009, 03:00 PM
Post #9

Group Icon

I'm actually in the process of making one via a game I'm making in RPG Maker VX (though I can't tell you when I'll have the demo up because I'm working on it between other projects). If I can at least finish up the Beginner's/Novice part of my game, then I'll upload it to share with everyone. I'm not an experienced coder, but I know my way enough around Ruby/RGSS2 now to teach it to other people. And some say once you know enough to be able to teach it to others, you're on the right track. tongue.gif

I kind of take a bare bones approach to it, so it covers Ruby AND RGSS2 within it. That's another reason why it's taking so long to build, because I'm trying to go about the best way of teaching it. I should note that I started learning Ruby before I started learning RGSS2 (which I'm still combing through even now), so I would also say it's a good idea to learn Ruby before jumping into RGSS2 specific stuff. It's not terribly hard to learn, especially if you spend some time practicing with it.

This post has been edited by twinrose: Jun 5 2009, 03:07 PM

--------------------
Game(s) in Progress: (Updated October 14th, 2009)

Project 1: Created 4/24/09
Tentative Title: A Warrior's Heart - Demo Down - Version 1.0
Story: 100% complete (written), 20% integrated into game
Characters: 100% complete
Mapping: 40% complete (WIP)
Scripting: 6% complete (WIP)
Music: 20% complete
Weapons/Armor/Items - 100% complete

+Quote Post

darkSage
post Jul 4 2009, 11:28 PM
Post #10

Group Icon

QUOTE (BigEd781 @ Feb 20 2009, 02:42 PM) *

My $.02

Where can I find the RGSS2 API? I never learn Ruby but I do know Java, C, and C++. So I may be able to jump to RGSS2 without learning Ruby from the beginning.

+Quote Post

Retired-Pine
post Jul 5 2009, 12:04 AM
Post #11

Not a democracy
Group Icon

Type: Spriter
Alignment: Lawful Evil

Well, apparently you can code but know nothing of Programming. RGSS2 being an API of Ruby means it's a sort of "sub-language". You can modify its structure and/or commands to create or edit new functionalities but still using the syntax of Ruby Programming Language (which is btw an OOP too ).

--------------------

Spoiler:

Awards
Spoiler:

Games I support [under construction]
Spoiler:

+Quote Post

BigEd781
post Jul 5 2009, 04:02 AM
Post #12

Group Icon

QUOTE (darkSage @ Jul 4 2009, 04:28 PM) *
Where can I find the RGSS2 API? I never learn Ruby but I do know Java, C, and C++. So I may be able to jump to RGSS2 without learning Ruby from the beginning.

It is simply a collection of classes and data structures available to you within the RMVX environment. You can find all of the documentation that you need in the help file.

--------------------

---
Spoiler:

+Quote Post

bulletxt
post Jul 5 2009, 02:08 PM
Post #13

bullet inside me
Group Icon

QUOTE (BigEd781 @ Jul 5 2009, 04:02 AM) *
It is simply a collection of classes and data structures available to you within the RMVX environment.

Hopefully one day people will understand this.. smile.gif

--------------------
Working on the following games: Lodestone2d , World Truck Racing

+Quote Post

Retired-Pine
post Jul 5 2009, 05:15 PM
Post #14

Not a democracy
Group Icon

Type: Spriter
Alignment: Lawful Evil

Don't get your hopes too high. Are we done here?

--------------------

Spoiler:

Awards
Spoiler:

Games I support [under construction]
Spoiler:

+Quote Post

lakam
post Mar 13 2012, 12:20 AM
Post #15

Group Icon

Type: Designer

Here's a really good site to learn Ruby in general
I found it to be really helpful afterwards cuz the entire RGSS2 thing seemed so much more easier
http://www.ruby-doc.org/docs/ProgrammingRuby/

+Quote Post

Hacker
post Mar 13 2012, 06:25 AM
Post #16

Group Icon

QUOTE (twinrose @ Jun 5 2009, 08:00 AM) *
I'm actually in the process of making one via a game I'm making in RPG Maker VX (though I can't tell you when I'll have the demo up because I'm working on it between other projects). If I can at least finish up the Beginner's/Novice part of my game, then I'll upload it to share with everyone. I'm not an experienced coder, but I know my way enough around Ruby/RGSS2 now to teach it to other people. And some say once you know enough to be able to teach it to others, you're on the right track. tongue.gif

I kind of take a bare bones approach to it, so it covers Ruby AND RGSS2 within it. That's another reason why it's taking so long to build, because I'm trying to go about the best way of teaching it. I should note that I started learning Ruby before I started learning RGSS2 (which I'm still combing through even now), so I would also say it's a good idea to learn Ruby before jumping into RGSS2 specific stuff. It's not terribly hard to learn, especially if you spend some time practicing with it.

Hey, I'd like to play your game. Hit me up when you wanna show off. I'm making a game myself. haha

+Quote Post

Necromus
post Mar 13 2012, 11:09 AM
Post #17

is it morning already ._.
Group Icon

QUOTE (Hacker @ Mar 13 2012, 08:25 AM) *
Hey, I'd like to play your game. Hit me up when you wanna show off. I'm making a game myself. haha

The post is almost 2 years old and the user you're talking too hasn't been online since almost a year, chances are kind bad to see something tongue.gif

+Quote Post

BigEd781
post Mar 13 2012, 04:15 PM
Post #18

Group Icon

Don't necro, and don't continue to necro to point out a necro... closed.

--------------------

---
Spoiler:

+Quote Post

Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2014 - 05:34 AM

RPGMakerVX.net is an Privacy Policy, Legal.