iPhone App Directory
RPG Maker VX

Gallery Members Search Calendar Help

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Collapse

>Announcement

Keep an eye out for the upcoming 3rd Quarter Contest!

> Note for Tutorial Threads

New threads (tutorials) here will go into a moderation queue. You will not see your thread appear when you create it. A moderator will decide if it will be approved or denied.

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Closed TopicStart new topic
> Beginner's Guide to Events, How to do the most simplest of things.
Rating 4 V
nightwingmaster
post May 21 2008, 11:52 PM
Post #21

Group Icon

how about making a common event called changing scrolls you you can change character and class in game, but keep the same name.

--------------------
"if you build it, they will play it"
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

tommymason
post May 29 2008, 03:59 PM
Post #22

Group Icon

Type: Artist

I'm confused.... very on 5. to make a cutscene, I did the exact commands on rpg vx but mine loops over and over and over, somebody please help me...

lmao!! Nevermind I figured it out biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by tommymason: May 29 2008, 04:03 PM

+Quote Post

GrandmaDeb
post May 30 2008, 09:52 PM
Post #23

Retired
Group Icon

Type: Undisclosed
Alignment: Unaligned

Can someone explain to me why it is better (or preferred by some folks, anyway) to separate the event from the graphic sometimes?
What I mean is that in Harmill's example, he has "Mom" (a wonderful character, I'm sure! wink.gif )
as an event with a graphic only. It's almost like he's defining the term.

But couldn't he just make the graphic appear on the page when the event is triggered?

Is this a "don't rely on paged events too much" practise?

Thx in advance. (have a cookie!)

Thx, ZBD, enjoy the cookie! wink.gif

This post has been edited by RPGIdealist: May 31 2008, 12:12 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post

zbdarkflame
post May 31 2008, 12:04 AM
Post #24

Mysterious Shaman
Group Icon

Type: Designer
Alignment: Neutral Good

Ok, I'll try to explain the simple reason behind the putting the mom graphic as a seperate event, and not have any events attetched to it. (Right, this is what your asking?)

The simple reason is that it keeps the number of of Autorun events and pages at a minimum. Basiccaly, if you were to run the entire event with the mom event, you would have 3 pages of auto run events, and a fourth of nothing. It just keeps things a whole heck of a lot more simple.

So, your first page would be a blank page with the kids diolouge. The second page would be mom appears, the secon would be after she leaves, and the fourth would be the blank page. Although this could save on switches, meaning you could use self switches, it just can get complicated.

Also, in events that move 1+ character at a time, it is really nice to be able to see the character, instead of a dark square. It can be hard to coordinate a lot ov movement, and then to also control that from one of the moving event, it justs get really confusing, really quickly.

I think those are the biggest reasons why we just use a single event on autorun, to move and run everything. It really is preference though, and the way you were describing is just as correct, but may be more confising. I don't really know though.

--------------------

---
------

+Quote Post

GrandmaDeb
post May 31 2008, 02:44 PM
Post #25

Retired
Group Icon

Attached File  Doc1.doc ( 270K ) Number of downloads: 5

Thanks, everyone. I have a few more simple questions...

I know my characters float a little above the edge of the tiles, and I understand why the game does that.
But every time I go through a one-tile-high door, I can see Ralph's spikey hair sticking through the doorway from behind the door! Do I have to make all my doors two tiles high? Or am I missing something in how to arrange movement through doors?

Also, I am getting what seems to be lag time as my character just walks around in my main map.
His movements are jerky, I think. (It isn't because of the knee-high grass he walks in is it?)
I am nowheres near 100 events!
<< Edit - Well, maybe somewhere near...
I have 32 door events, 22 character events, 15, scenery events, and I am definitely adding more... >>
I only have one autorun - for a fountain which is running.
Everything else is event triggered.
Are there other drags I should look for? (animated waterfalls, etc.?)

Again, thanks in advance!

This post has been edited by RPGIdealist: May 31 2008, 03:54 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post

zbdarkflame
post May 31 2008, 07:45 PM
Post #26

Mysterious Shaman
Group Icon

Alignment: Neutral Good

Well, to answer your first question, just teleport the person on the tile infront of the door. I'm assuming, alhough I could be wrong, that you're teleporting the Ralph on the door tile, and then walk outside. I suggest that you just teleport the actor infront of the door, because then you dont have the hair sticking up, and you don't look like you're walking through or under a door.

As for the second, no matter the mount of events, the map will alwasy refresh itself, and you'll get a couple of lines and a slight jump, but nothing major. Its when the game looks like it actually frezzes is when you really get lag. Also, just to mke sure, in testplay mode, press F1 to make sure you don't have the reduce screen flickering cheaked, because that will cut FPS. You really shouldn't have much lag at all with a map like that.

Umm...what concerns me is the fountain thing. How is that on an autorun, or did you mean parallel process. In either case, if all your trying to do is get that walking in place movement, all you have to do is click stepping animation.

Hope this helps.

Z.B.

--------------------

---
------

+Quote Post

GrandmaDeb
post May 31 2008, 07:49 PM
Post #27

Retired
Group Icon

Thx, ZBD, you're right; I meant the fountain was on walking animation.
Appreciate the help!

Another poster left me with this question in my mind...

If you change the passibility option on a tile, is it changed for the entire game?

<<Yikes! Thanks, BigED!>>

This post has been edited by RPGIdealist: Jun 4 2008, 07:41 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post

BigEd781
post Jun 4 2008, 07:13 PM
Post #28

No method: 'stupid_title' found for 'nil:NilClass`
Group Icon

Type: Coder
Alignment: Chaotic Good

Yes. Passablility is pulled from the database for every map that uses that tileset. Each tile can only have one value. Adding a duplicate tileset would solve that though.

This post has been edited by BigEd781: Jun 29 2008, 08:46 PM

--------------------
My blog - It's awesome, I assure you
While sloppy writing does not invariably mean sloppy thinking, we've generally found the correlation to be strong -- and we have no use for sloppy thinkers. If you can't yet write competently, learn to. - Eric Raymond

---
My awards for being so awesome
Spoiler:

+Quote Post

Mareus
post Jun 19 2008, 08:34 PM
Post #29

Group Icon

QUOTE (Harmill @ Mar 14 2008, 02:48 AM) *
11. Letting the Player choose a character's name.

If you want the players to be able to name the characters, then go to Page3 of the events list. Look for 'Name Input Processing' under Scene Control. Choose the letter limit for the character's name, and you're done.

To have that character's name said in messages no matter what the player names him, use \n[id] and it will use that characters name. Replace 'id' with the Actor number of the character in the Database. So the first character in the Database would use the command \n[1].

This is it for now. If you have any further questions that should be included, then inform me and I'll try to get them up sometime soon.

Ok, just one question? Where is page 3 of the event list? I R click to get events, and there is no name input processing. Please help.

+Quote Post

GrandmaDeb
post Jun 19 2008, 09:29 PM
Post #30

Retired
Group Icon

If you are in a new event, on the right hand side is a window called "list of event commands."

If you right-click and choose insert, or double-click the "@>" symbol, a window opens up with
"event commands."

At the top of that window are TABS. That's what you're looking for!

Deb

--------------------

+Quote Post

Cederic
post Jun 29 2008, 06:45 PM
Post #31

Group Icon

Type: Writer

can i make more input name situations. like, what if i want them to name several characters.. or can i only do one?
also.. i'm having trouble having an event face my character, longer than 1 frame, while i want him to face me the whole time he's talking, then go back to doing what he was doing.. i'm sure this is answered somewhere else, but it seems like a common event question people would have, and would appear on this list :]

--------------------
My Band:
NoNonsense
Current Projects:
Odin's Fury (Short Side Project)
Gova: Rebellion (Long Term Project)
In The Works Resources:
Huge Item Set Based off FFXI

+Quote Post

chayd
post Jul 15 2008, 04:09 AM
Post #32

Group Icon

Why does the IconSet changing is not working?
i followed your instruction master.

Edited:

sorry i was referring to the game icon. not the iconset sorry my bad.

This post has been edited by chayd: Jul 15 2008, 04:58 AM

+Quote Post

look.to.the.sky
post Jul 15 2008, 02:50 PM
Post #33

take my soul
Group Icon

This is a great post! Eventing seems daunting, though I'm sure it's just a beginner's feeling. This was well organized and had pictures to boot, I'll definitely benefit having this guide smile.gif

+Quote Post

BigEd781
post Jul 16 2008, 02:47 AM
Post #34

No method: 'stupid_title' found for 'nil:NilClass`
Group Icon

Type: Coder
Alignment: Chaotic Good

And we love people like you who actually read this before asking "how do I use rpg maker DER?" Glad to have ya look.

--------------------
My blog - It's awesome, I assure you
While sloppy writing does not invariably mean sloppy thinking, we've generally found the correlation to be strong -- and we have no use for sloppy thinkers. If you can't yet write competently, learn to. - Eric Raymond

---
My awards for being so awesome
Spoiler:

+Quote Post

Flux
post Aug 19 2008, 03:02 PM
Post #35

Chotto Matte Kudasai?
Group Icon

Type: Artist

One question how do you excatly create switch events or what ever. Like for example; I made this puzzle that requires you to push this cube onto a switch, which in turn causes the gate to open. Now you need the block to sit on the switch in order to proceed through the gate. Only problem is, I don't know how to excatly approach it. What would be some of the steps or methods I could possibly use.

This post has been edited by Flux: Aug 19 2008, 03:05 PM

--------------------
Why are we DYING to LIVE when we're LIVING to DIE?

+Quote Post

Douglas HC
post Sep 23 2008, 02:39 PM
Post #36

Group Icon

thx this is a lot of help

+Quote Post

IMP1
post Sep 25 2008, 05:55 PM
Post #37

Retributionist.
Group Icon

This was briefly touched apon and is probably rediculously easy to answer: If something (i.e a bird) was flying above the character, and so had a higher priority, would the character have to be directly underneath it to engage with it or can it not engage with it at all?

Thank you, by the way, a very informative and clear guide! Very Helpful biggrin.gif

+Quote Post

Retired-Pine
post Sep 26 2008, 02:06 AM
Post #38

Not a democracy
Group Icon

Type: Spriter
Alignment: Lawful Evil

Let's think for a second, for explaining purposes that you have 3 layers in event. The player is always in 2nd and the bird is on 3rd. They can interact with each other when in the same place using either player touch or event touch

--------------------

Spoiler:

Awards
Spoiler:

Games I support [under construction]
Spoiler:

+Quote Post

heysem
post Sep 27 2008, 08:45 PM
Post #39

Group Icon

Type: Musician

EDIT: nvm just found it
( delete if you wish)

This post has been edited by heysem: Sep 27 2008, 08:49 PM

+Quote Post

Retired-Pine
post Sep 27 2008, 08:48 PM
Post #40

Not a democracy
Group Icon

Type: Spriter
Alignment: Lawful Evil

No no, inside RPG Maker VX there is a thing called Resource Manager, you import your image using that feature, which opens at F10 I think, or F9

--------------------

Spoiler:

Awards
Spoiler:

Games I support [under construction]
Spoiler:

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Closed TopicStart new topic
3 User(s) are reading this topic (3 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd July 2014 - 04:34 PM

RPGMakerVX.net is an Privacy Policy, Legal.