iPhone App Directory
RPG Maker VX

Gallery Members Search Calendar Help

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Collapse

>Announcement

Keep an eye out for the upcoming 3rd Quarter Contest!

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Sore Losers
Fallen-Griever
post Apr 23 2009, 04:32 PM
Post #1

Group Icon

SORE LOSERS

VERSION 1.3 - CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD

NOMINATED "MOST PROMISING DEMO", 2008 MISAOS!!
NOMINATED RRR "FEATURED GAME FOR MAY"!!
FEATURED IN RMN sNEWS!!

"It takes a 12 step program, hypnosis, a sex change, and the whole damn starwars series to break you away."
- Tyrannos

"Sore Losers" is a cyberpunk RPG set in a modern, dystopian world. The gameplay is largely traditional, but shakes things up with interactive mini-game sequences, optional missions and a deeply immersive setting, all of which serve to break up the common roleplaying grind.

The Setting:

The game is set within the nation of Ferusia, with most gameplay taking place in "Ferusia City", the nation's capital. The nation is a totalitarian state led by a single-party Government, but despite this the general populace of Ferusia are happy with their leaders. The Government's efforts to advance technology and science, whilst at the same time irradicating the distractions of religion and beauracracy, have resulting in the nation becoming the most technologically advanced in the world. The Ferusian military is also incredibly advanced compared to the militaries of other nations, and is the only one on the planet with modern firearms and artillery as well as the only military to have access to the more powerful weapons of war; these weapons include inter-continental, nuclear and biological missiles. The military also acts as a Police Force in most Ferusian cities and towns, a factor that the Government believes deters many from committing crimes every single day. Despite all this power, the country is no longer expansive having already taken control of most of its own continent, but it does has active interests in overseas resources. For instance, the recent discovery of an interesting mineral named Ferustine (named after the country by the research group that discovered it) has led to the stationing of many research groups overseas, all protected by a contingent of the Ferusian Military.

Despite the large majority of people being happy with Ferusian life, and despite the power of the Ferusian military, there are still those who believe a democratic state to be the only way a country should be run. They want more control over how the Government is run and want the Government to be more accountable to its citizens, especially when it comes to what the rebels believe are dangerous genetic and mechanic experiments being run by the Government. Without any solid proof, however, the rebels are fighting a losing battle and are gradually being weeded out by the Ferusian Military. Ferusian convicts also believe they are being treated unfairly; sentenced to life within the "slums" of Ferusia City (an area of the city designed specifcally to contain criminals), petty thieves and fraudsters are placed alongside murderers and rapists in a daily fight to survive.

In the middle of it all are Markus and David, two criminals who have accepted their wrongs and simply go about their lives in the slums. Working for a mercenary leader named Jade, they carry out various jobs for those with enough money to pay, and they're about to set out on their latest; one that will drag them into a conflict they don't understand and don't care to be a part of...

Blarb:

Thanks everyone, especially to anyone who helped throughout this.

So, after basically five years of restarting many different projects under the same sort of title, I've finally got one of them finished. I'm actually kind of amazed with myself because, to be honest, I didn't think this would ever happen; I have a massive tendency to get dragged down into remaking early sections of my games or trying to make their storylines more "epic" than they need to be and that usually puts me off track and leads to be abandonning what I have created.

Well, not this time!

This time I decided not to bother with making an "epic". I decided to put my perfectionism to one side and, instead of trying to recreate the overwhelming pretence that is most RM role-playing games, I decided to make a down-to-earth, fun-to-play game that isn't just a space-bashing romp through fantasy locales with bells attatched. And although I think the dystopian, cyberpunk setting I've created is a realistically gritty vision of life as a condemned criminal, and although I think the locales and non-playable characters are some of the best out there, and although I am quite proud of how the story comes together, none of these are what this game is about.

Instead, Sore Losers is only intended to be a fun to play game for the ten or so hours you'll be playing through it. I hope you'll all come out thinking that I've managed to achieve that.

Features Include:

Over 10 hours of gameplay.
A broad synthesis system that allows you to create and upgrade unique weapons.
Dozens of optional quests to complete, all kept track of by a "To Do List" system.
An Active Encounter System (AES) that removes the need for random encounters.
Inventive Lockpicking and Computer Hacking minigames.
More quotable NPCs than you can shake a stick at.

Screenshots:

Spoiler:

It's always good to be able to change your party around...

No prizes for recognising the giant thing that is the focus of this play area. This is one of the few areas to take place outside Ferusia City's slums, hence the presence of PLANTS.

Each character has a unique sequence you must follow in order to learn their skills. In the case of Markus, you must read a magazine and then "practice" the skill he wants to learn in a DDR fashion.

Sore Losers is an RPG set in a modern world. No magic, no faeries, but lots of science and metal!

http://gamejolt.com/freeware/games/sore-losers/screenshots/view/6800/

The storyline in Sore Losers may be one of the weaker points, but it is solid enough to back up the 5-star gameplay!

Lockpicking is just one of the many unique systems present in the game. Always popping up, you need lockpicking to get around without the need to go on elaborate searches for keys. Even then, many doors are not passable unless you lockpick them!

This post has been edited by Fallen-Griever: Mar 3 2011, 06:30 PM

--------------------
<-- Complete
<-- In Development
<-- Complete
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Guest_zeroplumber_*
post Apr 23 2009, 05:37 PM
Post #2

Guests

This looks good, Thank you for the information and screenshots.

+Quote Post

Jasonicus
post Apr 23 2009, 06:00 PM
Post #3

Old Friend
Group Icon

Type: Writer
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral

When I saw "Sore Losers", I thought it was a Philadelphia Flyers fan game. laugh.gif

No, but it looks cool from the screens. Good old RM2K.

--------------------
Trailer for It Came From Yesterday: Click Me

This was made by a dear friend of mine. Any support is appreciated! Also, Like the Facebook page while you're at it: It Came From Yesterday

New and improved official site: ICFY

Swagbucks referral link: http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/jbart321

+Quote Post

Fallen-Griever
post Apr 23 2009, 06:16 PM
Post #4

Group Icon

Well, you know, I never did get used to RMXP and I wasn't around the community when VX came out so it kinda went over my head. If I knew anything about American sports, I am sure I would get that joke...

--------------------
<-- Complete
<-- In Development
<-- Complete

+Quote Post

Fallen-Griever
post May 4 2009, 10:09 PM
Post #5

Group Icon

Version 1.1 Released...

Some people found a bug that was totally game-breaking so I just released this patch quickly to get that fixed. The two small fixes are:

Fixed game-crashing explosion scene.
Fixed Scan skill. No longer scans dead enemies.

This post has been edited by Fallen-Griever: May 4 2009, 10:10 PM

--------------------
<-- Complete
<-- In Development
<-- Complete

+Quote Post

Fallen-Griever
post Jun 16 2009, 03:34 PM
Post #6

Group Icon

Important: Version 1.2 is totally fucked up.

I didn't announce this here, so people here might not have downloaded it, but if you downloaded Version 1.2 of Sore Losers then the starting position is in the wrong place. This means that when you start the game you actually start ~6 hours into the storyline. Obviously, this means the balance is totally off and that the game doesn't make any sense.

For anyone whose time this wasted, I really do apologise.

I will be uploading a fixed version to RMN soon (Version 1.3). The gamepage dissapeared due to a freak bug over at RMN but I am working on it and the new page should be accepted soon. As soon as it is I will fix the links in the main post of this topic. Alternatively, if you have the know-how and you have RM2000 handy, you can fix this problem by moving the Hero Start Position to the map called Opening Sequence; the rest of the game is unaffected by this bug, it is just the starting position that is wrong (this also means that if you downloaded it and used a previous save-file then the bug doesn't affect you unless you are attempting to start a new game).

Again, I am really fucking sorry.

--------------------
<-- Complete
<-- In Development
<-- Complete

+Quote Post

BigEd781
post Jun 16 2009, 04:02 PM
Post #7

No method: 'stupid_title' found for 'nil:NilClass`
Group Icon

Type: Coder
Alignment: Chaotic Good

lol, this looks great. I miss the older makers. I never would have moved past 2k3, but scripting is fun smile.gif. Nice job.

--------------------
My blog - It's awesome, I assure you
While sloppy writing does not invariably mean sloppy thinking, we've generally found the correlation to be strong -- and we have no use for sloppy thinkers. If you can't yet write competently, learn to. - Eric Raymond

---
My awards for being so awesome
Spoiler:

+Quote Post

Fallen-Griever
post Jun 16 2009, 08:18 PM
Post #8

Group Icon

VERSION 1.3 - CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD

lol, this looks great. I miss the older makers. I never would have moved past 2k3, but scripting is fun smile.gif. Nice job.

If I had the drive to learn how to code I would probably make the step up to one of the new makers, but since I don't have that drive I am sticking to what I know. My next project is going to be in RM2K3: it really needs have a side-view battle system that I readily know how to manipulate because it is going to be far more interactive than most battle systems are (I hope).

--------------------
<-- Complete
<-- In Development
<-- Complete

+Quote Post

Fallen-Griever
post Mar 3 2011, 06:30 PM
Post #9

Group Icon

In case you guys didn't know, WIP has decided to take RMN down. Because of this, I've updated the main post with new images and the new download link.

smile.gif

--------------------
<-- Complete
<-- In Development
<-- Complete

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st August 2014 - 03:29 AM

RPGMakerVX.net is an Privacy Policy, Legal.