iPhone App Directory
RPG Maker VX

Gallery Members Search Calendar Help

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Collapse

>Announcement

Keep an eye out for the upcoming 3rd Quarter Contest!

> Notes for Complete Game Threads

This forum is for completed RPG Maker VX games. Please do not post threads about games being made in other engines here.

19 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Cartographer, [Completed]
Avadan
post Apr 24 2009, 11:36 PM
Post #1

Group Icon

Type: Undisclosed
Alignment: Unaligned

The tale of a young Innkeeper who gets caught by his past and embarks on a
journey that sends him to the far reaches of the world.

The Cartographer is a traditional RPG centered on exploration, from the tropical Howling
Island to the cold kingdom of Bornstad.

The world is constantly threatened by Dragons and to fight them, the "old ones" forged the
Dragon Swords- powerful blades that only the Slayers could wield. Whenever a Slayer died,
his descendant would inherit the title.

The story starts in the kingdom of Althendria, when grim news arrive about the far-away campaign
against the dragon Myrniar. The Kingdom's Dragon Slayer has died and immediately the King sends
various messengers throughout the nation in search for his only son, the rightful heir to the title.
One of the messengers reaches Cinnamon Town...

Characters:

Reuben Rainard grew up moving from one town to another and was always on the
road accompanying his father in the laborious task of hunting Dragons.
Determined to find his own path in life, he stays and opens an Inn in Cinnamon Town- but little did
he know that fate and destiny had other plans for him.

Alina Flagg is a black wizard with a strong adventurous spirit and
a charming curiosity of magic - wanting to learn everything there is to know about it.
Due to her knowledge in ancient cultures, Alina is called to join Arcturus in his expedition
to a mysterious Island that is said to be the core of the ancient Yaxtual Civilization.

Arcturus Mortem was born in the Western land of Epherdon. His parents, however,
were originally from Bornstad. Having witnessed the destructive power of Regnar the Dragon Arcturus
obsesses over them and after years of research has begun to understand their behavior- noticing a pattern
in their landings on the planet. But to conclude his studies he needs the help of a Slayer to reach the
legendary Howling Island.

Screenshots

Spoiler:
This is Cinnamon Town... Luv that name :3

Tropic Exploration! this game has it all!

Omg! A monster from the forgotten XP era! XD

Scripts in use

• Sideview Battle System Version 3.3
    by Enu, Kylock and Mr. Bubble
  • Level Up Stat and Display Window by BigEd781
  • Battle Background by Moghunter
  • Custom Commands by Dargor
  • Party Changer by Dargor
  • Large Party by Dargor
  • Advanced Files by Dargor
  • Advanced Help by Dargor
  • Optional Battle Music by Sandgolem
  • Light Effects VX 1.1 by Kylock
  • Smooth Scrolling by Woratana
  • Map Credit by Woratana
  • Scene_Splash 2.0.2 by D�vic.

Expected game lenght: 4hrs
Game Size: 20m

The Cartographer project started as an excuse to experiment with the mapping in VX, trying to leave behind some of its squareness by slightly editing and mixing its RTP, and of course, working within the program's standard tile spaces. Hopefully RMVX users may use this to see ONE way of mapping. If it is good or bad is up to your interpretation.
The game is completely unencrypted for you, to not only show how the maps are put together but also to show how the cutscenes/dialogues are evented. We still hope you give the story a chance and play through it as it was intended though.
If you get something useful out of this- then our work is done. Leave your thoughts for us to view!

Download The Cartographer

Thanks to everyone that helped improve this post, and specially to Ketski for going through the whole game fixing bugs and spell checking.

Come show your support for this project with a userbar!

CODE
[url="http://www.rpgmakervx.net/index.php?showtopic=13138"][IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v311/ketski/TheCartographerUserbar.png[/IMG][/url]

This post has been edited by Avadan: Feb 2 2010, 11:48 PM

--------------------

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Sasame Kiryu
post Apr 25 2009, 01:09 AM
Post #2

どのような
Group Icon

Type: Writer
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral

This looks pretty good. You'll probably have to add a lot more detail to the topic in order to get it moved though.

Despite my pickyness about a lack of information, I'm giving this a download anyway ^~^

+Quote Post

Avadan
post Apr 25 2009, 01:33 AM
Post #3

Group Icon

Dammit!
Everyone is saying that... guess I´ll have to do it
Though I think the less you know of the game the better

--------------------

+Quote Post

Sasame Kiryu
post Apr 25 2009, 01:37 AM
Post #4

どのような
Group Icon

QUOTE (Avadan @ Apr 24 2009, 09:33 PM) *
Dammit!
Everyone is saying that... guess I´ll have to do it
Though I think the less you know of the game the better

I can definitely agree to that, but there are a number of reasons why you have to do it. One being that you're not a professional video game company ^~^;;

It's quite amusing so far. I've laughed a few times already and I'm not even ten minutes in. I'll definitely tell you my thoughts on the game as a whole once I've finished.

Could you give me an approximation on the play time?

+Quote Post

Avadan
post Apr 25 2009, 01:48 AM
Post #5

Group Icon

...Two to three hours

Depends on how you play it...

--------------------

+Quote Post

wltr3565
post Apr 25 2009, 02:12 AM
Post #6

The best BAKA ever
Group Icon

Alignment: True Neutral

But maybe you could tell us the feature of this game. And the size... you're not using RTP sprites and things like? And the music maybe too much... it will be used in the game right? the unused music is really annoying big for downloaded. If it really unused just delete it.

--------------------
This place is empty, just like I restarted myself.

+Quote Post

Avadan
post Apr 25 2009, 02:59 AM
Post #7

Group Icon

Erh... I included the RTP, just in case.... is the file to big?
Should I include a version without the RTP?

--------------------

+Quote Post

Retired-Pine
post Apr 25 2009, 03:08 AM
Post #8

Not a democracy
Group Icon

Type: Spriter
Alignment: Lawful Evil

Yes please. RTP included versions should be kept for people who don't have it, and being a VX community we pretty much should have it tongue.gif

I like the concept of some Innkeeper explorer, very unusual. Good unusual, though.

--------------------

Spoiler:

Awards
Spoiler:

Games I support [under construction]
Spoiler:

+Quote Post

wltr3565
post Apr 25 2009, 03:09 AM
Post #9

The best BAKA ever
Group Icon

Except you want it playable for someone that doesn't have any RTP. That is.

--------------------

+Quote Post

GrandmaDeb
post Apr 25 2009, 09:38 AM
Post #10

Retired
Group Icon

Intriguing - great start. Thanks for sharing your game faces with us as well!

Any chance you would want to post those angled walls/stairs and such? Your tiles are great!
(and I like Cinnamon town, too - nicely mapped!)

--------------------

+Quote Post

Avadan
post Apr 25 2009, 10:09 AM
Post #11

Group Icon

Of course!
This project started mainly as mapping experiment, so I´ll share an unencrypted version... I just wanted to wait a little to get some opinions on the story

--------------------

+Quote Post

Serpine
post Apr 25 2009, 10:11 AM
Post #12

A Psycologists Dream
Group Icon

Ooo RTP edits??
GIMME GIMME GIMME!! tongue.gif

I love how the characters are edited RTP and as GrandmaDeb mentioned, the tiles are incredible!

After just looking at the screenshots, i'm excited to play a game like this, plus, the idea of a cartographer
maybe having a hidden destiny is a bit cliched but a beloved storyline.

This is a great idea and keep going with it! smile.gif

--------------------
"Dude...did we just get robbed?"
"Yeah...i think we did..."
"....Fuck....i suppose we'd better do something about it, huh?"
"....After O'Brian..."

"What's with the stupid rabbit suit?"
"What's with the stupid man suit?"

Current Projects:

Spoiler:
RTP RPG :

Writing Stage [ | | | | | | | | | | ]

Building Stage [ | | | | | | | | | | ]

Editing Stage [ | | | | | | | | | | ]

+Quote Post

Avadan
post Apr 25 2009, 12:25 PM
Post #13

Group Icon

Ok uploaded a non rtp version.... If you got the Rtp version and aren´t so far away I recommend to switch to this one
solved some mapping errors... they weren´t crashing errors but still

BUT!! If you did not download the rtp version download this one... now... do the clicky, do it now

XD

Edit: Damn mediafire.... had to switch to Rapidshare

This post has been edited by Avadan: Apr 25 2009, 12:26 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post

Sander
post Apr 25 2009, 12:28 PM
Post #14

Reverse the Polarity of the Neutronflow
Group Icon

Well I've played a bit through your game and I must say that I found it impressive. Especially the wide range of poses surprised me. Great job!

--------------------
MY GAMES

Development blog

Support Cry of the Fox!

Support Lunara! Visit her blog!

I SUPPORT:
Spoiler:

+Quote Post

wltr3565
post Apr 25 2009, 12:42 PM
Post #15

The best BAKA ever
Group Icon

Yes, purely impressive, except for some words that having a little grammar mistake. Later, can the words fixed a bit? For other factors like battlers and music, well done indeed. I praise this game.smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

Avadan
post Apr 25 2009, 12:47 PM
Post #16

Group Icon

Grammar is a big issue...it breaks the illusion and the flow of the story... unfurtunatly it's my biggest weakness

If its not such a big pain whould anyone who spots a grammar mistake tell me where it is.... eerh to correct it

--------------------

+Quote Post

Guest_zeroplumber_*
post Apr 25 2009, 01:42 PM
Post #17

Guests

If you add some more info to this topic I would be tempted to move it into the regular dev forum wink.gif. Having a bit of mystery is nice, but explaining what your title is all about will bring in those who want to download but don't know what they are getting into. smile.gif

+Quote Post

Avadan
post Apr 25 2009, 03:48 PM
Post #18

Group Icon

*Jeez... only tempted? XD

Well added a bit more info hope now its more suitable

peace!

--------------------

+Quote Post

Ketski
post Apr 26 2009, 04:48 AM
Post #19

Mustache, Monocle and Tophat Wizard.
Group Icon

Type: Designer

First off, I wanted to say how amazing your game was. There was a lot of character in it - and I loved how your main character actually feels like a real person. All of his employees made the beginning really heartwarming and touching.

And yes, I do have to agree - the biggest problem in this game is your spelling and grammar - because everything else was fantastic! You requested some help in pinpointing where your errors were... so I took the time to do just that!

I hope you look through all of them since I spent a lot of time on this. I stopped where I did because
Spoiler:
after going to the island and gaining control of your character, I fought some random monster and died. I didn't save at all throughout the game so... I really didn't want to go through all those cutscenes again after spending 3 hours with them -editing x_x. If you could provide me with a save file where it starts at that point in the island, I would be very grateful. If not, I'll get back to it some other time. I would suggest lowering the monster's difficulty in the beginning... or force-opening the save menu screen so people save.

Your mapping is excellent by the way. I really loved the starting town. Your interiors are amazing - although they lack doors. I suggest adding them like in this video... Skip to 1:46 to see what I mean.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymRBX3N8VRs

Brace yourselves, it's really long! ohmy.gif

Grammar Errors
Spoiler:

Event Errors
Spoiler:

Bugs/Glitches
Spoiler:

Also, I was curious as to how you got RMXP trees and certain RMXP tiles to appear in your game(?) I could probably look up how to do it manually but is there some kind of demo available for download so that I don't have to manually set it up myself?

P.S. If you ever need help with anything- feel free to PM me or better yet - e-mail me at ketski@hotmail.com.

EDIT: Oh right, I forgot to mention this: You have a lot of doors that you can not enter in your town -> You should show text messages saying how it's locked or something, or even just a sound effect of a locked door. It enhances the game in my opinion. I've been going around pressing enter on random doors with nothing happening. It feels like a void. Just something you might want to consider.

This post has been edited by Ketski: Apr 27 2009, 02:58 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post

Sasame Kiryu
post Apr 26 2009, 05:09 AM
Post #20

どのような
Group Icon

QUOTE (Ketski @ Apr 26 2009, 12:48 AM) *
Also, I was curious as to how you got RMXP trees and certain RMXP tiles to appear in your game(?) I could probably look up how to do it manually but is there some kind of demo available for download so that I don't have to manually set it up myself?

P.S. If you ever need help with anything- feel free to PM me or better yet - e-mail me at ketski@hotmail.com.

EDIT: Oh right, I forgot to mention this: You have a lot of doors that you can not enter in your town -> You should show text messages saying how it's locked or something, or even just a sound effect of a locked door. It enhances the game in my opinion. I've been going around pressing enter on random doors with nothing happening. It feels like a void. Just something you might want to consider.

Wow, you really put a lot of effort into that : D

QUOTE (Avadan @ April 25 2009, 06:09 AM) *
Of course!
This project started mainly as mapping experiment, so I´ll share an unencrypted version... I just wanted to wait a little to get some opinions on the story

The project isn't entirely encrypted. The tilesets, characters, faces, etc. are all in the download, as stated above ^~^

This post has been edited by Sasame Kiryu: Apr 26 2009, 05:10 AM

+Quote Post

19 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd September 2014 - 03:24 AM

RPGMakerVX.net is an Privacy Policy, Legal.