iPhone App Directory
RPG Maker VX

Gallery Members Search Calendar Help

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Collapse

>Announcement

Keep an eye out for the upcoming 3rd Quarter Contest!
17 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Linus, UPDATE 3/08/12: Demo released (page 17)
blueperiod
post May 12 2009, 08:32 PM
Post #1

twigs and mud
Group Icon

Type: Writer
Alignment: Unaligned

L I N U S

Introduction

LINUS is a project I've been working on for quite a long time. It's a story-driven game focused primarily on drama. My main goal with LINUS is to tell a memorable story. This is mainly because writing and world-building are my favorite aspects of creating games. While the game will feature battles and puzzles, they will be a bit light in number. Thus, I would think that people who prefer more gameplay in their games won't enjoy it as much as people who like to experience a well-told story.

World Overview

Spoiler:
The world the story takes place in is both similar to ours yet very different.

The most prominent feature of this world, and perhaps the most mysterious to all of the world's cultures, is the presence of a massive storm which has eternally permeated the western skies for as long as humanity has existed. The storm, known by many names, is an ominous dark mass which has befuddled the human population of the planet for eons. Not one person has ever navigated through it as those foolish enough to attempt it have all lost their lives in the process.

The Storm is looked upon with different perspectives by different cultures. Some believe it to be the place where the dead congregate, while others even go as far as worshiping it as a kind of living deity. Whatever the people believe, no one can fathom what lies beyond the western skies.

The people of the world are a mish-mash of different real-life civilizations and cultures. The range of the world's countries is pretty extensive, with civilizations ranging from ancient Spain to modern-day Africa being used as "inspirational sources". Even though the world is very large, the player won't visit each and every one of these countries (you will hear about and meet characters who hail from these places however). The reason being that the story of LINUS does not involve in any way the saving of the planet, so visiting these places without a good reason is kind of unrealistic.

Instead, the story is centered around the most ancient civilization in the known world: The Empire of Terragama.

Story Overview

Spoiler:
The storyline of LINUS centers around the most ancient and wartorn empire of Terragama. The game's story in itself is basically the history of this empire as it intwines around the destiny of one person. That person is the main character, a man by the name of Linus Milhaven.

Linus Milhaven is a man who's life is tied to a cruel and violent legend. The people of Terragama curse his name for the actions he commited during the latter years of his life. His story is one that every soul in Terragama claims to know all too well. It's conclusion brought about the catalyst that has resulted in the dark age the people of the empire currently find themselves in.

Still, despite the terrible crimes which he has commited, not everyone in the empire curses at Linus' memory...

His mother, now an old woman, remembers the bright, loving, and intelligent boy she once called her son. Now in her fading years, Emily Milhaven has set out on a journey to write her son's final remembrance: A biography that will showcase Linus' journey from a bright and promising adolescence to a dark and murderous future.

Terragama Overview

Spoiler:
The Empire of Terragama is an ancient, spiritual civilization not unlike the old empires of our own ancient world. It is the oldest empire in humankind, said to be founded man thousands of years ago. It is located on the westernmost continent of the known world. This continent is the largest landmass, and is the closest to the mythical storm which darkens the skies over the western sea. Because of their close presence to the storm, the people of this land have worshiped it since the founding of their empire.

Terragama is divided into nine vastly different kingdoms, while an emperor/empress typically rules over all. The nine kingdoms each have different laws and customs, but all swear fealty and obey the kingdom of Lorimaris, which is the historical home of the empress/emperor.

For many of the Empire's kingdoms, a strict class system dominates daily life. At the bottom of this social pyramid are slaves brought in from underdeveloped countries to serve as labor for the typical Terragaman family. Slightly above the slaves are the people known as Wards, a modern-day term used for the men and women hailing from the kingdoms which revolted against Lorimaris in a civil war that took place 15 years ago. Wards have very few rights, are not allowed to own land, and are treated with a general scorn for their part in rebelling against Lorimaris during the civil war.

Above the lower echelons of the class pyramid are the regular folks. Farmers, artisans, vendors, soldiers, and the like are grouped into this tier. They make up most of the Terragaman population.

High above every other class are the Great Houses-- ancient, powerful families who hold considerable influence over every facet of Terragaman society. The Great Houses are all at least a thousand years old, and are considered the nobility of the empire. Terragama is a culture which values tradition and the "old ways" above all else, thus those who are descended from "ancient blood" are held in high esteem. Politics, the economy, and most areas of government are dominated by the Great Houses. They serve as the leaders of the Terragaman people.

As powerful as the Great Houses are, none compare to the two most powerful and ancient families of Terragama. The first being House Lunet, also known as the "The First Family". They are the sovereign dynasty who have ruled the mighty kingdom of Lorimaris and therefore the entire Empire for thousands of years.

The second such family is House Milhaven, a dynasty of warriors as old as House Lunet itself. The members of the Milhaven family hold the most esteemed rank of commanders of Lorimaris' all-powerful army, a group of highly trained knights known as The Spire. They have served as
House Lunet's champions ever since the founding of the empire.

Here you will see the major regions of the continent-- the Belen Valley, Aruman Desert, Nevenmire Plains (also known as the Eastern Embrace), and the northernmost subcontinent of Aternelle (which is the home of Samuel and his men). Also of note are the eight Great Houses as well as the kingdoms they rule over. Last but not least, is the impenetrable Storm, which dominates the western sea.

Cast

Spoiler:
Linus Milhaven
Birthdate: 3rd of Mistfall, 1900
Birthplace: Belen, Lorimaris

The first born son to Teign and Emily Milhaven. A sullen yet likeable child who spent most of his childhood in the reknowned Etonmarch Military School. He is a caring and highly intelligent boy who has trouble coming to grips with the future that the empire has planned for him. From an early age, he has been groomed to follow in his father's footsteps as the strong and capable leader of the Spire, Lorimaris' powerful military. His purpose, as it was ingrained into him, is to serve the sovereige Lunet family as their champion and protector. Linus however, dreams of a life filled with less responsibility. What he wants most in this world, is the freedom to live the type of live he envisions for himself.

Teign Milhaven
Birthdate: 13th of Moonrise, 1868
Birthplace: Belen, Lorimaris

The legendary knight who brought peace to the warring empire during the Reunion War. He is the father of the three current-generation Milhaven brothers: Leigh, Linus, and Ariston.

He was born in Lorimaris, during the apex of the century-long civil war which had seen the once peaceful empire torn asunder by malevolent kings and their power struggles. Lorimaris, the former ruling kingdom of Terragama, had been reduced to the level of it's peer kingdoms due to the poor kingship of it's sovereign, Tiberius Lunet. King Tiberius, who was a weak-willed and some would say cowardly individual in comparison to his ancestors, forbid Lorimaris' intervention during the war. No matter how many deaths arose from the war between the eight kingdoms, Tiberius would not relent in his isolationist ideals. However, it was the king's children who inherited the traditional House Lunet cunning, and plotted to overtake the empire and restore it to the prosperity it enjoyed when it was under their family's rule. All it took was time, as the twin sisters Athelia and Amadea were the inheritors of the Lorimaran throne.

Teign, a member of House Milhaven (House Lunet's traditional champions), grew up with the royal Lunet children, and became quiet close to the twin sisters. Athelia, a little girl who by the age of nine already possessed the dangerous natural gifts of her family, was smitten with the young Milhaven boy, who loved her in return. As the two of them grew to become lovers in their teenaged years, King Tiberius' health deteriorated, and the Lunet sisters became the ruling monarchs of Lorimaris.

By the time the Lunet sisters waged their war against the eight kingdoms, Teign had grown into a powerful and feared knight. He took leadership of the Spire, the great army of men loyal only to House Milhaven, and waged the sisters' campaign to reclaim their family's empire. One by one, the eight kingdoms fell to his sword, and four years since the campaign began the empire finally returned to it's rightful place under House Lunet's rule.

The campaign however, was not a victory for Teign. During those four years, he was subject to terrible experiences which took a heavy toll on his emotional and physical state. On more than one occassion, he was forced into murdering children who were conscripted by enemy monarchs. This caused the stirring of a dark hurt within him, as he and Athelia's son Leigh was but a child during the campaign. Thus, he voiced his displeasure with Athelia during the war's end, and was in turn called a coward and weakling by the woman he had so loved.

By the time he had remarried and his second son Linus was born, Teign was a shadow of his former self. Despite only being 41 years of age, the war had aged him terribly. His skills in the ways of war have faded considerably, and though he still acts as the acting commander of the Spire, many wonder if he still has it in him to lead the empire's army.

Screenshots

Spoiler:
Prologue

Chapter I

Video

Spoiler:
Chapter 1 : The Lake Cavern
Here's a little video I put together. It's a short preview of one of the dungeons in Chapter 1. The music in the video is a first-draft of one of the songs Joerao composed for the game's soundtrack. I think it sounds pretty good, even in it's early state.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJj_tdt_EiM

Chapter I : Memories

Another video featuring Joerao's composed music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwFeg5AKkWk

Chapter I : Etonmarch

The first five minutes of the upcoming Chapter I demo. I know it doesn't show much, but I figured those who are interested in this project would like a bit of a sneak peek. The music for this particular video is placeholder.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JpSnB9f0n1s

Chapter I : The Milhaven Crypts

This video shows a small bit of the gameplay in Chapter I. There are a few noticeable passability errors that will be fixed in time for the demo. Also, the music is all placeholder.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7yhFd60I70

Soundtrack

Spoiler:
Joerao, the wonderful composer for this project, has created a topic where you can hear some songs from the still-in progress LINUS soundtrack.
He is trying to make the musical accompaniment to the game as good as it can be, so any feedback at all would be greatly appreciated. Please
listen and give him your thoughts about the music.

http://www.rpgmakervx.net/index.php?showto...48&hl=linus

Demo
Spoiler:

Linus Prologue Demo v2: http://www.mediafire.com/?mjytzmhyyun

This is a revamped version of the first demo. It includes new cutscenes, sprites, music, and a couple of other things.
However, it doesn't finish the events of the prologue. It ends at about the same time as the last demo. I also took into
account a lot of the criticisms I got from you guys.

Those who've played the original demo dont necessarily have to play this one, since it's very similar to the old one except for
the changed dialogue and other additions.

I would also like to point out that this isn't the "real" new demo. That one will include the completed prologue as well as the first chapter of the game.
I posted this version for a couple of reasons:

- I barely got any feedback outside of this community. I believe it's probably because of the game ending bugs (which are now fixed
on this demo). Hopefully more people will be able to play through the entire thing.

- I wont be able to work on Linus for a month (I'm moving back home), so I figure I at least post an updated version of the original demo
for the people who are interested in this project. I'll resume working on the game once I move and have everything up in order.

Anyway, thanks for taking interest in the project!

Support

Support Linus by placing this code in your signature!
CODE
[url="http://www.rpgmakervx.net/index.php?showtopic=13932"][img]http://i529.photobucket.com/albums/dd338/grayperiod/userbar.png[/img][/url]

Features

- Sideviewbattle system.
- Custom soundtrack composed by Joerao.
- A realistic, dramatic storyline with a large cast of nuanced characters.
- Lengthy and involved optional sidequests which enhance the storyline of the main plot.
- Split into three volumes- Each lasting 10 hours in length for a total of 30 hours of gameplay.

-----

This post has been edited by blueperiod: Mar 8 2012, 10:30 AM

--------------------
Writer and Developer of:

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Ketski
post May 12 2009, 08:45 PM
Post #2

Mustache, Monocle and Tophat Wizard.
Group Icon

Type: Designer

I've read the story, and it seems quite interesting! The concept of this storm is very unique. Looking through your screenshots, they look really good! I see that you've mashed in quite a bit of RMXP and custom tiles in this game. I can't say I'm a fan of that font or style of faces though. They differ in style which can be a bit disturbing.

I'll definitely be looking forward to the demo when it comes around smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

Sasame Kiryu
post May 13 2009, 04:17 PM
Post #3

どのような
Group Icon

Alignment: Chaotic Neutral

Besides the mix in face styles, this sounds and looks quite intriguing. Always nice to know that not everyone has the same basic story overview on their projects. I'll be keeping an eye on this.

+Quote Post

Bleud
post May 14 2009, 04:22 AM
Post #4

Group Icon

I do love the way it looks. I hope the fogs aren't present throughout the whole game. I also have a question. You said you have worked on the project for 3 months and you have/going to have 30-35 hours of gameplay? 3 months seems like a short time to make a game of that length. Do you have a target date to release the demo? Is it demo or the full game that's going to be 30-35 hours?

--------------------

Spoiler:

Characters: 91% Done
Storyline: 62% Done
Database: 81% Done
Maps: 60% Done

Intergrating features: Update!!!
    Systems
  • Expansive Bank System: Done
  • Gun System: Done
    Mini Games
  • Gambling Mini-game: Done
  • Rabbit and Tortoise Mini game: 54%
  • Apple Collecting Game: Done

New!!Main Characters
KaneLaurieTaurusIsis

More to come soon Demo coming soon! (an early May a some time soon deadline Whenever the hell I damn well finish!!1!) POSTPONED :(

---

+Quote Post

blueperiod
post May 14 2009, 05:08 AM
Post #5

twigs and mud
Group Icon

QUOTE (Bleud @ May 14 2009, 04:22 AM) *
I do love the way it looks. I hope the fogs aren't present throughout the whole game. I also have a question. You said you have worked on the project for 3 months and you have/going to have 30-35 hours of gameplay? 3 months seems like a short time to make a game of that length. Do you have a target date to release the demo? Is it demo or the full game that's going to be 30-35 hours?

Thank you for the compliment. As for your inquiries.

- No, the fogs wont be used for every single map. They'll only be used if they're required or if the scene calls for a bit of ambience. I do like the way they look though. Do you think they're distracting or anything like that?

- I have an hour at most completed so far for the demo. The full game will be 30-35 hours. I basically have most of the game planned out already.
It might be less depending on unforeseen problems. But that's how long I think the game will be given what I have mapped out.

- The demo itself should be finished early next month if i keep up the pace Im currently working at.

Lastly, thanks for taking interest!

This post has been edited by blueperiod: May 14 2009, 05:09 AM

--------------------
Writer and Developer of:

+Quote Post

Bleud
post May 14 2009, 09:25 AM
Post #6

Group Icon

QUOTE (blueperiod @ May 14 2009, 06:08 AM) *
Thank you for the compliment. As for your inquiries.

- No, the fogs wont be used for every single map. They'll only be used if they're required or if the scene calls for a bit of ambience. I do like the way they look though. Do you think they're distracting or anything like that?

- I have an hour at most completed so far for the demo. The full game will be 30-35 hours. I basically have most of the game planned out already.
It might be less depending on unforeseen problems. But that's how long I think the game will be given what I have mapped out.

- The demo itself should be finished early next month if i keep up the pace Im currently working at.

Lastly, thanks for taking interest!

Fogs are little distracting to me, but that all personal preference. As long as you game doesn't depend on the inclusions of fogs in every map, you should be good. So far, all of the pics with fogs in them look very nice. A nice combination with the light script as well. [rant]It just irks me when games have things like a fog in every possible place, whether it be a cave or a desert. I get it! You want to build ambiance! Try something different!
[/rant]

I am excited for your game though. Hopefully you can release it within your deadline. I know how hard it is to release a game on deadline. I've had to push my own game back several times laugh.gif

--------------------

Spoiler:

Characters: 91% Done
Storyline: 62% Done
Database: 81% Done
Maps: 60% Done

Intergrating features: Update!!!
    Systems
  • Expansive Bank System: Done
  • Gun System: Done
    Mini Games
  • Gambling Mini-game: Done
  • Rabbit and Tortoise Mini game: 54%
  • Apple Collecting Game: Done

New!!Main Characters
KaneLaurieTaurusIsis

More to come soon Demo coming soon! (an early May a some time soon deadline Whenever the hell I damn well finish!!1!) POSTPONED :(

---

+Quote Post

blueperiod
post May 19 2009, 06:30 PM
Post #7

twigs and mud
Group Icon

BUMP/UPDATE: Added some (lengthy) character profiles.

This post has been edited by blueperiod: May 19 2009, 06:30 PM

--------------------
Writer and Developer of:

+Quote Post

blueperiod
post Jun 1 2009, 02:05 AM
Post #8

twigs and mud
Group Icon

BUMP/UPDATE #2: Demo should be completed next week.

--------------------
Writer and Developer of:

+Quote Post

IMP1
post Jun 1 2009, 01:02 PM
Post #9

Retributionist.
Group Icon

I await your demo eagerly. I really like the sound of this game. And your mapping, from what I've seen, is superb.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Vecks
post Jun 10 2009, 11:17 PM
Post #10

Group Icon

This sounds like an interesting game smile.gif
Keep up the good work!
(For a second though, I thought that the game was about Linux Torvalds)

+Quote Post

blueperiod
post Jun 11 2009, 03:03 PM
Post #11

twigs and mud
Group Icon

UPDATE: New screenshots for Chapter I added.

--------------------
Writer and Developer of:

+Quote Post

echorev
post Jun 12 2009, 12:04 AM
Post #12

Group Icon

Type: Musician

Wow!!!!! The screenshots look incredible!! It all looks incredibly realistic and very well proportioned. Where did you get all of those sprites and artwork?

Looking forward to trying this out! Keep it up!

--------------------
Working on: Lodestone2d

+Quote Post

Confederacy
post Jun 12 2009, 12:50 AM
Post #13

Hello, my sweet lil' honey bee.
Group Icon

Type: Designer
Alignment: Chaotic Good

Wow, this looks really good. I can't wait to try this game out.

--------------------

Games (they have links! Click them!): Coming soon with *truly* remarkable games!
Oh oh oh, can I contribute to this conversation!?
I have an opinion about a game.

You're an idiot!

+Quote Post

jnicho19
post Jun 12 2009, 01:19 AM
Post #14

Composer
Group Icon

I personally am incredibly intrigued by this game and all it's aspects. I don't know why, but the idea of the Storm just fascinates me; it's role in the game is a mystery. The mapping is excellent, and I love the characters. Keep up the great work on this!

--------------------
Listen to some of my compositions here and let me know what you think
Thread for my project: Rainworld

+Quote Post

vivaxx
post Jun 16 2009, 01:38 PM
Post #15

Group Icon

Type: Undisclosed

Looking good...I love the mistery feel

lol I got to say this my hero name Linus too
He also got blond hair and green eyes......
, how ever..I better spell him Lynus tongue.gif

This post has been edited by vivaxx: Jun 16 2009, 01:40 PM

+Quote Post

blueperiod
post Jun 17 2009, 05:02 AM
Post #16

twigs and mud
Group Icon

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I know there are quite a few mapping errors in the screenshots. I'll try to fix them up in time for the demo.

This post has been edited by blueperiod: Jun 17 2009, 05:10 AM

--------------------
Writer and Developer of:

+Quote Post

scherzo
post Jul 17 2009, 03:42 AM
Post #17

Group Icon

Alignment: Lawful Neutral

The idea of the "Storm" and the role it plays in your story intrigues me. I like the societal hierarchies, the characters and their motives, and the attention to detail in the world-setting you've done, as well. Your screenshots show a very well constructed game. This looks like a first-rate effort and I'll be looking forward to the demo. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

blueperiod
post Jul 25 2009, 06:32 PM
Post #18

twigs and mud
Group Icon

Finally! Demo is here!

The original demo was supposed to be a lot longer. But I've been incredibly busy lately so i havent been able to finish it.
Anyway, I just wanted to put up something playable for the people who are interested in this project.

*Any* feedback at all would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

--------------------
Writer and Developer of:

+Quote Post

Drunken Paladin
post Jul 26 2009, 05:55 AM
Post #19

Killed a Man in Reno
Group Icon

This is one of the few demos here I have been able to thoroughly enjoy. I'm particularly impressed by the music and the lighting effects used in the cutscenes. More than anything, however, I'm impressed by the allusions to multiple theorists and theosophists.

Jean Luc Russeau-- is that a nod to Jean-Jacques Rousseau? I also saw Lacan and Cagliostro. I like to think that these aren't coincidences. =P

There are several errors, however, that allow me to walk over objects that should not be passable. The chest-looking objects, as well as the shield on the table. Also, at the pub when the bartender leaves, there is an error that closes the game on account of a missing graphic file.

I look forward to seeing the game progress, and wish you all the best.

--------------------

+Quote Post

blueperiod
post Jul 26 2009, 08:48 AM
Post #20

twigs and mud
Group Icon

^Actually, yes. Most of the characters were named after people or locations in real life. Lacan and Russeau were named in tribute to their real life counterparts, but I'm afraid I have no idea who Cagliostro is (I took that one from the Ghibli film.)

Most of the "good guys" were named after certain people/towns in Britain. For example, Teign is named after a river and it's pretty obvious what Etonmarch is an allusion to.

Anyway, thanks for playing the demo. Did you happen to play through that little error by the way? I'll upload a fixed demo with that and all of the passability errors
fixed.

This post has been edited by blueperiod: Jul 26 2009, 09:38 AM

--------------------
Writer and Developer of:

+Quote Post

17 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th July 2014 - 11:52 AM

RPGMakerVX.net is an Privacy Policy, Legal.