iPhone App Directory
RPG Maker VX

Gallery Members Search Calendar Help

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Collapse

>Announcement

Keep an eye out for the upcoming 3rd Quarter Contest!

> 

This forum is for recruiting for games in development. Please do not post threads about games being made here.

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> [Horror Anime] Higurashi no Naku Koro ni
Daisu
post May 26 2009, 04:18 AM
Post #1

32-BIT Dreamer
Group Icon

Type: Undisclosed
Alignment: Lawful Evil

UPDATED Dec 23 2011

I am still waiting on feedback of the recently uploaded game as I work on finishing it.
Video links were dead, so providing one of few last videos remaining, I will try to upload new ones.
LINK

Higurashi no Naku Koro ni RPG Games

When They Cry: Rika's Story

I am at the end of the first When They Cry game that I have planned. I am looking for editors/fans to help me polish the game for the soon finished product, maybe do a new battle system over the one I choose to use. I need playtesters and feedback as well, of course. I am interested in tracking down any spelling and grammatical errors so I can fix them. So if you do play it please PM anything I might have missed this time around. A lot of people are downloading but not leaving any feedback sad.gif

If you having problems downloading please contact me so can find way to get you the game.

Story & World Overview

Higurashi no Naku Koro ni (When the Cicadas Cry) also known as When They Cry, takes place mostly during June 1983, at a fictional rural village called Hinamizawa. The character Keiichi Maebara, moves to Hinamizawa and befriends his new classmates Rena Ryuugu, Mion Sonozaki, Rika Furude, and Satoko Hojo. Keiichi joins their after-school club activities, which consist mostly of card and board games (and punishment games for the loser, usually him.) Hinamizawa appears to be a normal, peaceful, rural village to Keiichi. However, the tranquility abruptly ends after the annual Watanagashi Festival, a celebration to commemorate and give thanks to the local god, Oyashiro. Keiichi learns that every year for the past four years, one person has been murdered and another has gone missing on the day of the Watanagashi Festival. Keiichi himself soon becomes drawn into the strange events surrounding the Watanagashi Festival and Oyashiro. In most story arcs, he or one of his friends become paranoid, and a crime is committed. Usually, the crime involves the murder of one of their own friends. While it seems impossible to tell their delusions apart from the mystery of Hinamizawa, slowly the truth is revealed.

At start of the game you begin with Akasaka on a undercover mission to rescue a kidnapped victim. On his journey he meets Rika, who seems to know what the future will hold. Rika is trying to find a way to break her fate by visiting the parallel versions of Hinamizawa, each will end with her death. In this game she mostly stands back and watch the events unfold since she lost hope of ever changing things. By playing through the chapters, she will learn that she has to keep fighting her fate.

Himatsubushi-hen (Time Killing Chapter)

Akasaka Mamoru , a young police investigator from Tokyo who comes to Hinamizawa in order to investigate a kidnapping of a politician's grandchild. Soon, he too becomes implicated in the mysteries of Hinamizawa.

Nekogoroshi-hen ( Cat-Killing Chapter)
After losing a bet, Keichi, Mion, Rena, Satoko and Rika parade around the town in costume. When they come to fork in the road they decide to go to Yagouchi a nearby village which was abandoned. Once there Keichi learns the mystery of strange haunted quarry there from Mion and Rika as they debate whether or not to check it out.

Hinageshi-hen (Poppy Flower Chapter)

All is not right in Hinamizawa when Mion returns from prep school finding her friends are acting weird to her. It is then that she discovers that this Watanagashi Festival will be her last.

Aoginozomi-hen (Reverence Chapter)

After the Watanagashi Festival, Oishi becomes suspicious that Natsumi was involved in the recent murders. Can she clear her and her's friends names or will she become the next victim of the curse?

Tsumihoroboshi-hen (Atonement Chapter) [2 Parts]

Rena discovers the true nature of her father's girlfriend Rina and forms a deep hatred for her. And while studying Takano's scrapbooks, Rena starts to unveil the the truth behind Oyashiro-sama and Hinamizawa's dark past. To save everyone she has to take desperate measures.

Yakusamashi-hen (Disaster Awakening Chapter) (2 Endings)

Satoko notices Rika's odd behavior and hears her speaking of her inevitable murder; Rika denies Satoko's questions about it.

Hirukowashi-hen (Daybreak Chapter) (3 Parts)

One day, Rena accidentally swallows something in her mouth during her usual treasure hunting. According to Rika, the seal of the sacred "Fuwarazu Magatama" pairs were broken and Rena must have accidentally swallowed one of them. The magatama holds mysterious magical powers in which a person that has the red magatama will blindly fall in love with anyone with the white magatama.

Minagoroshi-hen (Massacre Chapter)

After completing certian tasks in the other chapters, this chapter opens up. It is told from the perspective of Rika Furude. Most notably, the true identity of the murderer is finally revealed in Minagoroshi-hen. After Minagoroshi-hen, one more effort is needed to seal the story into a jolly ending.

Characters

Keiichi Maebara

Keiichi Maebara, a young boy who has recently moved to Hinamizawa with his family, and begun to adapt to life in the countryside. Keiichi has a natural charisma which allows him to make friends easily. Since Hinamizawa is a small town of about two thousand people, with only a single school, there are not many children around his own age; he easily meets the others his age and becomes friends with them.

Weapon: Baseball bat
Abilities: Skills

Rena Ryuugu

One of these good friends is a girl named Rena Ryuugu. She, like him, is new in Hinamizawa, having only returned from Ibaraki a year before. She has an obsession with things she considers to be cute generally, others do not agree and she will often scavenge for such things at the local dump and bring them back home. Before she met Keiichi, Rena became friends with a girl one year older named Mion Sonozaki.

Weapon: Bill Hook Cleaver
Abilities: Becomes Powerful when in "Cute Mode"

Mion Sonozaki

Mion Sonozaki acts as the leader of the group and is the president of their club. Mion has a tomboyish personality, a facade for a girlish side she keeps hidden from the others. Mion has a twin sister, Shion, who lives in the nearby town of Okinomiya. Although their personalities are quite different, she and Mion have switched places in the past, and the change is nearly indistinguishable.

Weapon: Dual-Water Pistols
Abilities: Sonozaki Arsenal of weapons and defense

Satoko Hojo

A clever girl who is quite skilled at setting traps when playing games with her friends. She usually has an energetic and mischievous personality, but this hides a past full of trauma. Satoko also had an older brother named Satoshi.

Weapon: Skipping Rope Whip
Abilities: Traps!
Special: Gives friends ability to lure enemies into traps when in party.

Rika Furude

She is revered by the villagers as the heir of the local shrine and plays the role of a shrine maiden in the annual Watanagashi Festival. Despite her young age, she sometimes expresses a type of wisdom which would normally be beyond her years, and is quite fond of sake. Rika is also the girl who becomes the central figure, so that Hinamizawa can avoid a tragic end. Helping her is Hanyu though only Rika could see her.

Weapon: Knife
Abilities: Control Time

Mamoru Akasaka

He is a young police investigator of the National Security Forces. He befriended Rika while investigating a case in Hinamizawa four years ago, where he learns of a prophecy. He is likely Rika's best chance to break her fate.

Weapon: Martial Arts
Abilities: Martial Arts

Natsumi Kimiyoshi

Natsumi just arrived in Hinamizawa, she has to stay at a family friend's place till her mother got better after a nasty divorce. She has shrugged off the beliefs and culture of her ancestral home at Hinamizawa, as well as the warnings from her overly-superstitious grandmother. It does not take long till she is embroiled in Oyashiro's curse.

Weapon: Mother's Kitchen Knife
Abilities: Rituals

Unlockable Characters

Shion Sonozaki

Mion has a twin sister, Shion, who lives in the nearby town of Okinomiya. Although their personalities are quite different, she and Mion have switched places in the past, and the change is nearly indistinguishable. Shion is able to use a wider range of weapons and skills.

Weapon: Tazer
Abilities: Sonozaki Arsenal of weapons and defense

Jirou Tomitake

Jirou Tomitake is a freelance photographer who occasionally visits Hinamizawa (Around three times every year). He gets along well with Miyo Takano, because of their similar interests in photography. Despite being only an occasional visitor, he seems to know a fair amount about Hinamizawa's past (Specifically the Hinamizawa murders).

Weapon: Martial Arts or Camera
Abilities: Powerful Transformation

Game Features

This game is mostly visual novel-based, there are some rpg intermissions and are there to create extra depth and features for fans of the series. I am working with both the anime and manga, hand in hand, though I do have to leave some of the scenes out due to not meshing or too elaborate to redraw.
The game has a lot of hours of gameplay (about 7-8 so far), and covers character levels 1-11.
Currently the game contains eight story arcs.

Beta Screenshots
Spoiler:

Download

Game takes 15 mins to download(~200MB, very visual heavy), self-contained.

Megaupload Linky

Controls

As for controls usually it is straight forward, directional buttons to move. Enter or Space to select. X or Esc for Menu/Cancel. F1 brings up help for controls, though keyboards uses a lot of keys that are not used in the game.

For Returning Playtesters

Reminder: To install new updates it is better to pull out save file from the game and then delete the existing game. Then install new and throw the save file inside. Most of the time there should be no drastic change to effect where you last left off.

Higurashi no Naku Koro ni - Kakera

2nd Game game will be called Higurashi no Naku Koro ni - Kakera, It is currently at standstill due to available content. I have a demo vid of a playthrough of one of the stories. I will be making a game based on the fanfiction. I am going to make a visual novel game but more true to the original visual novels of Higurashi.

LINK

Support
CODE
[url="http://www.rpgmakervx.net/index.php?showtopic=14518&view=findpost&p=126829"][img]http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/7079/cryb.png[/img][/url]
blink.gif blink.gif blink.gif

This post has been edited by Daisu: Dec 23 2011, 04:16 PM

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

BigEd781
post May 26 2009, 04:19 AM
Post #2

No method: 'stupid_title' found for 'nil:NilClass`
Group Icon

Type: Coder
Alignment: Chaotic Good

I would recommend packaging a download without the RTP as well all will have it. 110 MB's is huge, may as well get it as small as possible.

--------------------
My blog - It's awesome, I assure you
While sloppy writing does not invariably mean sloppy thinking, we've generally found the correlation to be strong -- and we have no use for sloppy thinkers. If you can't yet write competently, learn to. - Eric Raymond

---
My awards for being so awesome
Spoiler:

+Quote Post

Daisu
post May 26 2009, 04:46 AM
Post #3

32-BIT Dreamer
Group Icon

Due to the unpacked condition of the base project, I would need help to separate the files for a more compact version.

It seems that trying to find a candidate here might take some time, probably hear from facebook before then.

This post has been edited by Daisu: Jun 1 2009, 08:55 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post

Daisu
post Jun 1 2009, 08:59 PM
Post #4

32-BIT Dreamer
Group Icon

I have updated my game to 2 arcs and working on a third and I also added a link for public download. Plus added updated screenshots.

I am unsure this is the correct forum to get playtesters since have been getting zero interest from this site unlike other channels.

This post has been edited by Daisu: Jun 1 2009, 09:01 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post

Daisu
post Jun 15 2009, 11:38 PM
Post #5

32-BIT Dreamer
Group Icon

Updated, now contains 3 story arcs and twice the game time.

Stay tune for future updates.

--------------------

+Quote Post

twinrose
post Jun 16 2009, 02:40 AM
Post #6

Group Icon

Type: Writer

I really like Higurashi no Naku Koro ni, so I'll give it a try. smile.gif Sounds like it would be cool to play. I'm not sure when I'll be able to give feedback, because I'm uber busy back and forth, but I don't mind doing so.

I'm having some trouble downloading it, but I'll keep trying and at least play through a little bit of it to give you some initial feedback.

This post has been edited by twinrose: Jun 16 2009, 02:52 AM

--------------------
Game(s) in Progress: (Updated October 14th, 2009)

Project 1: Created 4/24/09
Tentative Title: A Warrior's Heart - Demo Down - Version 1.0
Story: 100% complete (written), 20% integrated into game
Characters: 100% complete
Mapping: 40% complete (WIP)
Scripting: 6% complete (WIP)
Music: 20% complete
Weapons/Armor/Items - 100% complete

+Quote Post

Mage_7
post Jun 16 2009, 10:54 PM
Post #7

Group Icon

Well I played through it and I must say I really do love it. If you need me to test any updated versions in the future please email me at cracka3@gmail.com
Also during the start of the 3rd Arch there is a small spelling mistake when Rena and Keiichi are talking.

+Quote Post

Daisu
post Jun 16 2009, 11:37 PM
Post #8

32-BIT Dreamer
Group Icon

unpredictable..

I usually pick up the obvious spelling errors right after I put a new upload link, I just have an uncanny luck of missing some until its too late and have updated the link tongue.gif There is also a chance that I use a Canadian spelling rather then Americanize spelling, or switch between them if different chapters, for example rumour and rumor.

But just in case I still miss it in next update, it is good to send copy of the errors via a PM, so I can double check and make sure its fixed for next update.

Currently trying to figure which chapter to do next, I really wanted to do Utsutsukowashi, but its too much of a side story sad.gif

This post has been edited by Daisu: Jun 17 2009, 12:13 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post

twinrose
post Jun 17 2009, 07:40 PM
Post #9

Group Icon

I finished the game a lot faster than I thought it would, and I really liked it the whole way through. I noticed some grammatical and spelling errors around the time when Keiichi talked to Rena in the forest, so you might want to check back around that part to correct them (i.e. "happen" instead of "happened", etc.) And I don't know if you're particular about it, but check the last chapter for some comma omissions. I know it may not make a difference for some people, but it reads in one big blurb if you're not careful about it. Of course, I might just be overparticular tongue.gif

I really enjoyed it. Right amount of challenges and everything. One suggestion you might want to throw in, if the club is meeting for it's activities, throw in some more random mini games, that would also make it a lot of fun.

--------------------
Game(s) in Progress: (Updated October 14th, 2009)

Project 1: Created 4/24/09
Tentative Title: A Warrior's Heart - Demo Down - Version 1.0
Story: 100% complete (written), 20% integrated into game
Characters: 100% complete
Mapping: 40% complete (WIP)
Scripting: 6% complete (WIP)
Music: 20% complete
Weapons/Armor/Items - 100% complete

+Quote Post

Daisu
post Jun 17 2009, 09:18 PM
Post #10

32-BIT Dreamer
Group Icon

I shall continue trying to track these errors, if anyone encounters one if they can give me the sentence I willl go make the changes right away. [Can private message me.]
I really want to clear these errors so it will not distract the reader.

This post has been edited by Daisu: Jun 18 2009, 03:15 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post

Mage_7
post Jun 18 2009, 11:07 PM
Post #11

Group Icon

To let you know I let two of my friends play it and they really seemed to enjoy it.

+Quote Post

Daisu
post Jul 30 2009, 10:32 PM
Post #12

32-BIT Dreamer
Group Icon

Updated the game with a new chapter. Please leave feedback and if any errors that crop up, I will be rigorously testing the game as well.

Also desperately looking for help on compressing the pictures, requires a lot of event re-scripting if pictures are to be reduced.

I plan on a fix update soon to repair any problems this new update might have as well as some extras to hold one over till next big chapter update. So stay tuned.

This post has been edited by Daisu: Jul 30 2009, 10:32 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post

Kinan
post Aug 1 2009, 02:50 PM
Post #13

Group Icon

I will gladly test your game, as I love Higurashi no naku Koro ni. tongue.gif

EDIT:
I would recommend packaging a download without the RTP as well all will have it. 110 MB's is huge, may as well get it as small as possible.

as BigEd says, please remove the RTP data. Compress it without ticking the box "include RTP data". If this is the game without the RTP data please tell me.

This post has been edited by Kinan: Aug 1 2009, 02:52 PM

--------------------
Tutorials by me

====================
Current Project:
Spoiler:

Working Title: "Crystal Remnant"
Started Working: 29/7/2011

+Quote Post

babyangelgirl2
post Aug 4 2009, 04:07 AM
Post #14

It takes SKILL to be able to trip when you have wings.
Group Icon

Type: Designer

I MEANT to post here almost a month ago as I did complete the demo and had some feedback for you.
Sorry about that.

Okay, to keep this short sweet and to the point I'll just say this: make sure you double check the grammar. There are a lot of glaring mistakes and certain words are misspelled
consistently. Also, sometimes the ext is spaced oddly as if you either forgot to hit re space bar or hit it too many times.

Let's see, as for bugs there was really only one. I think. That would be being able to walk on the lower part of the metal bookshelf in Rena's house (I think, I DID play it over a moth ago).

Um, the game was fine otherwise. I like it. The only thing I'd change really was perhaps making the characters less powerful? It encouraged me to skip a lot of battles
because I felt like they were getting the way of me getting the story and I often lacked items needed for the REAL fights (or maybe that was just me?).
And while the whole picture and sound thing was cool for Rina's attacks and her 'pimp', it got incredibly annoying since they used those attacks almost every single turn.

Keep up the good work.

--------------------
Good stuff, man. Good stuff.

+Quote Post

Radscythe
post Aug 4 2009, 08:58 AM
Post #15

Waiting for life to pass him by.
Group Icon

Alignment: Neutral Good

pretty cool, it actually follows the story.

I don't mind grammar in anything, so long as I can understand it.

Only thing that messed with me was the fact that it's Shion who has the Taser, not Mion, lol

--------------------
The words that sprout of lies to our souls; if they bear fruit the lies disappear.

Games:
Spoiler:
My Stuff:

Award:
Spoiler:

I support:
Spoiler:

<<< Stare at this in awe.

+Quote Post

Daisu
post Aug 4 2009, 10:19 PM
Post #16

32-BIT Dreamer
Group Icon

QUOTE (babyangelgirl2 @ Aug 4 2009, 12:07 AM) *
I MEANT to post here almost a month ago as I did complete the demo and had some feedback for you.
Sorry about that.

Okay, to keep this short sweet and to the point I'll just say this: make sure you double check the grammar. There are a lot of glaring mistakes and certain words are misspelled
consistently. Also, sometimes the ext is spaced oddly as if you either forgot to hit re space bar or hit it too many times.

Sometimes I just miss the mistakes, mostly for older chapters which had already been playtested and if problem was not exactly addressed it likely missed in the next update. Best way to help me if give the scene and some of the sentence so i can find it in the vast logs of text. PM me here please!
Sometimes I type faster then the keyboard lol, I personally use a playstation keyboard and sometimes I can hit a letter or spacebar and does not register or hits it twice due to how long I had this keyboard. I usually catch these errors during my read through. But my love of this keyboard and mqakes it hard to part with.

QUOTE (babyangelgirl2 @ Aug 4 2009, 12:07 AM) *
Let's see, as for bugs there was really only one. I think. That would be being able to walk on the lower part of the metal bookshelf in Rena's house (I think, I DID play it over a moth ago).

Um, the game was fine otherwise. I like it. The only thing I'd change really was perhaps making the characters less powerful? It encouraged me to skip a lot of battles
because I felt like they were getting the way of me getting the story and I often lacked items needed for the REAL fights (or maybe that was just me?).
And while the whole picture and sound thing was cool for Rina's attacks and her 'pimp', it got incredibly annoying since they used those attacks almost every single turn.

Keep up the good work.

I shall check that shelf, but I believed I did catch it earlier but I shall check again.
I gauged the character's strength via my speed-run, and supplied abilities and items based on the difficulty. There is always that random factor of getting tougher or weaker encounters, I will usually supply a way to get back health in these zones where this can be a hassle. Since the game only covers levels 1-8, by the time you hit that cap you should be able to handle anything that comes across, or figure tactics to minimize damage by using status aliments.

Rina picture fight is random, those abilities are suppose to be low scale only taking more effect near end of the fight. But I can see how it will get annoying if they keep being rolled up, I shall find a way to make it so it won't show up as much.

QUOTE (Radscythe @ Aug 4 2009, 04:58 AM) *
I don't mind grammar in anything, so long as I can understand it.

Only thing that messed with me was the fact that it's Shion who has the Taser, not Mion, lol

I shall try tackling the grammar, but PMing me the sentences allow to to find and fix it quicker. Otherwise I have to find them in a playthrough, usually very tired when i am trying to play through the game with my free time.

Sorry about the taser mix up, I was not going to have Shion as playable character in the game and since Alasaka had the kung-fu down, thought hey why can't Mion have a taser too tongue.gif It makes her part in the game easier. Since the twins like changing places, who knows, maybe you are playing Shion all this time around! Its not just the taser, I also borrow pictures of the other sister as well ohmy.gif

Maybe when the game is more complete I shall change the taser around.

QUOTE (Radscythe @ Aug 4 2009, 04:58 AM) *
pretty cool, it actually follows the story.

Well some chapters were manga or OVA only. Poppy flower had a whole different view to the cotton-drifting tongue.gif But I shall be combining both manga and anime for those chapter that have both. I will be coming back to the atonement chapter later to enhance it with the manga. But the current new chapter shows my efforts of combining both mediums.

Thank you all for playtesting, I shall try to get a new update in soon fixing some of the problems expressed above.

This post has been edited by Daisu: Aug 5 2009, 04:00 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post

Daisu
post Aug 5 2009, 08:11 PM
Post #17

32-BIT Dreamer
Group Icon

Just updated, fixing some of the errors that had cropped up, I am hoping to playtest through it more to see if I can spot more. But it would be easier if those who spotted them to private message the sentences so I know where the errors are and cut down some of the time so I can use it elsewhere tongue.gif

Also added more to last chapter that I worked on and added a reward for finishing it, go check it out, it is much different from what the other rewards have been!

I will be working on the next chapter now and hopefully more people get back to me so I can fix some of the old errors.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Daisu
post Aug 12 2009, 04:49 AM
Post #18

32-BIT Dreamer
Group Icon

New update

Himatsubushi-hen is now the new start to the game, Yakusamashi-hen chapter was added.
Plus Quick patch to fix some errors

Next Update: Tackling file size, take a small ding in graphics to lower the size of the game.

This post has been edited by Daisu: Aug 16 2009, 04:15 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post

Daisu
post Aug 28 2009, 01:58 PM
Post #19

32-BIT Dreamer
Group Icon

Just bumping the thread, have yet to hear back from the playtesters.

I am still working on file size by lowering the graphics some, but it is a long process. I was hoping to release the daybreak chapter, but now that I have started on the long task of converting the graphics I cannot finish till I do all the hundreds of pictures tongue.gif

This post has been edited by Daisu: Aug 28 2009, 02:14 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post

Daisu
post Sep 12 2009, 06:16 PM
Post #20

32-BIT Dreamer
Group Icon

I have fixed a lot of errors and added more to all chapters. There still one extra not working properly, I will release the fix in next few days.

This post has been edited by Daisu: Sep 21 2009, 12:52 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th September 2014 - 12:02 AM

RPGMakerVX.net is an Privacy Policy, Legal.