Author: BulletXt (email@example.com)
A lot of people ask where do they have to start if they want to script. The general reply they get is to learn Ruby. This answer may sound correct, but programming is not a language, it is a process. The process of writing source code often requires expertise in many different subjects, including knowledge of the application domain, specialized algorithms and formal logic. Knowing math is a must, the more you know it the more you will find solutions to your problems.
The language you use when creating a software is just a detail, the most important thing is that you must have the basic knowledge of what programming means and the basic "instruments" you must have in your mind.
I will attempt to explain what are the basic steps before even trying to get into the RGSS2 world. Step 1: The basic
- learn how to create basic variables
, like a string or an integer, and learn how to work with them
- create an if branch
, including the usage of "case"
- create and understand what is a While cycle
- create and understand what is an Array
and how to handle it
- create and understand what is a Hash Hable
and how to handle it (advanced)Step 2: Classes, Methods, Properties
- learn what is a Class
- learn what is a Method
- learn how to create an Object
of a given Class
- learn how to call a Class's method
- learn how to handle variables inside or outside a classStep 3: Get into VX default scripts and its 3 Big Areas
- learn the existance of the 3 big areas: Game, Window, Scene
- learn what Game_Map, Game_Actor, Game_Party and Game_Troop scripts do and handle
- learn Window_Command and the classes it inherences
- learn any Window script you want, for example Window_Skill
- learn what are the Scenes scripts, in the specific learn Scene_Map and Scene_MenuStep 4: Your first scripts
- create a script that makes a Window (for example the gold window) appear/disappear on map if player presses a key button
- create a script that makes a bitmap appear/disappear on map if player presses a key button
- create a script that adds a voice inside Menu commands, and if selected opens a new WindowStep 5: Learn the other scripts
- learn all the other scripts, a little at a time, depending on your needs, for example Scene_Battle to edit battles
These are the basics steps you must learn if you aren't a software developer. Keep in mind the most important things to learn are the steps specified in Step 1. Do not proceed to any further step if you haven't learned in depth those.
A good tutorial for Step 1 and 2 can be found at: hereThis
is a great reference for how your code should be structured to maximize readability (Thanks BigEd781)