iPhone App Directory
RPG Maker VX

Gallery Members Search Calendar Help

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Collapse

>Announcement

The 2nd Quarter Contest has arrived! Go check it out in the Community Announcements now!

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Script: Confused Player Walk, My very first script
Maximilian
post Apr 3 2008, 05:43 PM
Post #1

Group Icon

EDIT: My mistake, I didn't see the subforum for finished scripts, but I'm not sure how to move this post over there. Could a moderator do this for me please?

Hello everyone.

Feel free to skip my introduction, which follows, and go to the script if you want.

I'm an aspiring programmer who has almost no programming experience and I know absolutely nothing specifically about Ruby/RGSS2 except what I've picked up just by looking at others' scripts that I found on here. This script took me a combined total of 8 hours to get it right. I'm sure anyone reading this could do it in minutes but bear with me as it is my first VX script.
What I was aiming for was Earthbound-SNES and its manipulation of the walking-around-map depending on character status. I started with Confusion, which, in Earthbound rotates the D-pad every minute or so making left become up, up become right and etc.
The hard part for me was figuring out how to ask the question "Is Actor 001 inflicted with state Confusion?". I had no idea how to do this but finally figured it out by trial and error. The rest came easily enough from my one semester of C++, adapting the syntax for RGSS2.

So I'll get to the point.
I'm posting this for two audiences,
  1. RMVX RPG Makers to use in their games, you have my permission.
  2. Any form of scripter that would like to view it and offer guidance/criticism/improvements of any kind. Even telling me the script is terrible is fine. smile.gif

In the future I'd like to expand this to include a manipulation for almost every character state.

This post has been edited by Maximilian: Apr 3 2008, 06:52 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Aindra
post Apr 4 2008, 01:15 AM
Post #2

• Inactive
Group Icon

Type: Undisclosed
Alignment: Unaligned

I tried your script out, and it works. smile.gif

How do it check if you're confused, exactly? Does it check if State ID 005 (default confusion is there) is on and activate the script? I want to know because I don't use the default states, since I tend to change them.

I'm not a scripter so I can't give any professional advices or anything like it, sorry!

--------------------

Award & To-Do List & Status
Spoiler:

To-Do List
  1. Custom List & Pages 2.0 Version
    Contains few bugs that I don't quite know how to fix. Am taking time to study and figure how to fix them, so it takes time. (I'm still a rookie scripter.)
  2. Surprise Graphic Package #1
  3. Surprise Graphic Package #2

To Do List - At Lowest Priority
New version of RPG School Maker. I originally planned to make a new version back in July 2009 but it fell apart due to teammates disappearing. Maybe I'll take it up again when my knowledge of RGSS2 improves. I had to include this in here because I've been asked often for it.

+Quote Post

Maximilian
post Apr 7 2008, 06:15 AM
Post #3

Group Icon

QUOTE (Aindra @ Apr 3 2008, 05:07 PM) *
I tried your script out, and it works. smile.gif

How do it check if you're confused, exactly? Does it check if State ID 005 (default confusion is there) is on and activate the script? I want to know because I don't use the default states, since I tend to change them.

I'm not a scripter so I can't give any professional advices or anything like it, sorry!

Good to hear that it works for someone else too.
The .confusion? on line 16 is a built in command that the game uses during the battle system to see if your character is restricted to attacking teammates or something like that. I just borrowed it and wrote in what was necessary so the confusion script knew where to find that built in command.
The actual check sees what restriction is applied, and more specifically, restriction 3. Which is: Attack teammates only. Confusion normally has that applied to it, so no matter what state your character has, if he can only attack teammates because of it, it assumes that is confusion.

Thanks for the comment!

+Quote Post

isaacsol
post Apr 7 2008, 01:54 PM
Post #4

Watashi-wa... omoide niwa narenai sa.
Group Icon

Type: Musician
Alignment: Chaotic Evil

Wow, thanks for this.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Leventhan
post Apr 8 2008, 12:46 PM
Post #5

<insert member title here bleep>
Group Icon

Pretty nice little script here, Maximillian.
Good job. wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

manderson
post Sep 2 2009, 08:40 PM
Post #6

Group Icon

Works good for me, one thing is when i held right to see what it would do in a small area, the direction would change about every 3 seconds, worked perfectly in an open area though

+Quote Post

gurvmlk
post Oct 27 2011, 05:28 PM
Post #7

Group Icon

Very nice script, but is there a way to modify it so the confused movement directions are set, rather than fluctuate randomly? I've tried everything I could think of, but I really don't know anything about scripts, so nothing I could come up with worked.

+Quote Post

Nelderson
post Oct 27 2011, 06:21 PM
Post #8

Group Icon

Type: Designer
Alignment: Lawful Good

Gee Wiz Holy Necro-Post Batman!!!!

--------------------
STOP BEING A JAPFAG CRIMSON!!!

Meh.....F$#@ you Mike <=== Still applies....<_<

+Quote Post

gurvmlk
post Oct 28 2011, 05:04 AM
Post #9

Group Icon

QUOTE (Nelderson @ Oct 27 2011, 11:21 AM) *
Gee Wiz Holy Necro-Post Batman!!!!

Yeah, but I figured this would be the easiest way to possibly get an answer, and also allow the answer (if received) to be displayed in a place where others who may someday need the same information can easily locate it.

Edit* Found a way to make it work by changing the '100' to '10' in line 50, and adjusting the numbers relating to the directional inputs. However, now I'm having a problem with the character turning and stepping in the opposite direction when they collide with a wall, or stationary collideable event. That I won't be able to fix by myself because I don't even know where to begin, and the best I can do when it comes to scripts is delete things, and change numeric values assuming I can guess what the number is meant to represent by observing the rest of the script.

This post has been edited by gurvmlk: Oct 29 2011, 10:17 PM

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2014 - 10:56 AM

RPGMakerVX.net is an Privacy Policy, Legal.