iPhone App Directory
RPG Maker VX

Gallery Members Search Calendar Help

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Collapse

>Announcement

The 2nd Quarter Contest has arrived! Go check it out in the Community Announcements now!

> Notes for Complete Game Threads

This forum is for completed RPG Maker VX games. Please do not post threads about games being made in other engines here.

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> One Day Birthday, Simple Short Game
Game
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total Votes: 210
Guests cannot vote 
Etheral
post Jun 27 2009, 11:02 AM
Post #1

Group Icon

Can a mod please move this to the completed games forum?

Introduction
I've spent some time making my "Very Epic Adventure" game which is supposed to be a long epic adventure. Then I realised that the first chapter of my game would make a nice standalone game itself. So with some touchups and whatnot, I've turned the beginning into a game which is short but should be fun. (I hope) By "short" I mean it has about 8-15 minutes of gameplay.

The game uses the RTP which is not included in the download. I'd assume everyone here already has it.

The game runs in a window with a resolution of 1224x936. That may be too big for some monitors but running it fullscreen will be fine on any monitor.

Story + Setting
The story is pretty simple. You play the role of a character named Vien. It is his sister's birthday so he is going to need to get her a present. His sister asks him for a favour which will lead him on a small journey. The siblings live by themselves in a secluded home in the middle of an abandoned forest.

Characters
Vien: The protagonist of the game. Friendly and caring brother who goes to great length for the sake of his sister. His past and his sisters past is unknown but is of little importance to the simple plot of this game.

Leya: Vien's sister. Although she is not a playable character in this game, I tried making her play a large role in the game nonetheless.

Screenshots
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

This post has been edited by Etheral: Jun 28 2009, 12:03 AM
Attached File(s)
Attached File  One_Day_Birthday.rar ( 644.98K ) Number of downloads: 438

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Sevith
post Jun 27 2009, 01:55 PM
Post #2

Retired Bear Fighter. ಠ_ಠ
Group Icon

Type: Designer
Alignment: Neutral Good

Even if this is an 8-15 minute game, I still need atleast a little more info to move it into completed games. Elaborate on the characters.

--------------------
QUOTE (nagilhs @ 2 May 2010)
this guys just a power crazed jack ass.

+Quote Post

Etheral
post Jun 28 2009, 12:06 AM
Post #3

Group Icon

QUOTE (SmallEd @ Jun 28 2009, 01:55 AM) *
Even if this is an 8-15 minute game, I still need atleast a little more info to move it into completed games. Elaborate on the characters.

Well I'm sorry but, there's pretty much nothing more I can add. This game is really short and simple. I don't have any large super big plot going in it so there is absolutely nothing I can say about that. The characters are just two simple characters. There's nothing more to write about them that wont spoil the already little amount there is. Maybe if you'd played the game you would realise that this wasn't the point of this game.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Sevith
post Jun 28 2009, 12:00 PM
Post #4

Retired Bear Fighter. ಠ_ಠ
Group Icon

Alignment: Neutral Good

Played the game, and I see what you mean. Guess I'll make an exception here smile.gif

-Moved

--------------------
QUOTE (nagilhs @ 2 May 2010)
this guys just a power crazed jack ass.

+Quote Post

Skaylea
post Jun 28 2009, 02:26 PM
Post #5

My theme instantly plays as I enter the room
Group Icon

I had to vote 2/5, I just didn't find the game entertaining.
The fighting was been-there-done-that and I felt like there was no real point to the storyline except maybe try out
your VX skills in action. I also didn't really care for the characters so I wasn't that excited in the end.
This is a start though, I could notice some decent eventing which many beginners lack, so good luck in the future. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

StartatZero
post Jun 28 2009, 06:09 PM
Post #6

Group Icon

Alignment: Chaotic Good

I'll give a 2/5, because as said above it wasn't that entertaining, maybe you could add a couple npcs saying stuff about the world from your real game (unless it's not meant to relate to your real game at all, but it says above this is the first chapter), the events were okay and there weren't really any bugs, except at the beginning you could set the player graphic to nothing in the database then in the game you could add his graphic so he doesn't flash on the screen for a second before.

Also, you should add the little graphic under the water fall, I think it's in the "other" graphics in the rtp.

--------------------
Games that are awesome-

+Quote Post

YooCooL
post Jun 28 2009, 07:29 PM
Post #7

Group Icon

QUOTE (StartatZero @ Jun 28 2009, 08:09 PM) *
I'll give a 2/5, because as said above it wasn't that entertaining, maybe you could add a couple npcs saying stuff about the world from your real game (unless it's not meant to relate to your real game at all, but it says above this is the first chapter), the events were okay and there weren't really any bugs, except at the beginning you could set the player graphic to nothing in the database then in the game you could add his graphic so he doesn't flash on the screen for a second before.

Also, you should add the little graphic under the water fall, I think it's in the "other" graphics in the rtp.

i'll try it and tell ya what i think...
edit: OMG i like was goin on enemyes every 2 seconds... barelly survived... anyway... pretty good mini rpg, i give you 3/5 becouse it is too short, and you don't even realise that you could have made an excelent game with that... you could have made like that boy returnes home and his sister isn't home... the house is in mess, than the boy realises that something bad happend, and there... the quest begins... the quest for his sister... so use my idea and continue that game... if you finish it good this time i can give you 6/5 biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by YooCooL: Jun 28 2009, 07:46 PM

+Quote Post

Etheral
post Jun 29 2009, 01:19 AM
Post #8

Group Icon

QUOTE (StartatZero @ Jun 29 2009, 06:09 AM) *

Thanks for the advice. I cannot believe I didn't think of making the main character have no graphic initially. I've been thinking about how to fix that for ages. LOL. This is technically my first time using RPG Maker VX so I had no idea they had that neat "other" waterfall graphic.

QUOTE (YooCooL @ Jun 29 2009, 07:29 AM) *
i give you 3/5 becouse it is too short, and you don't even realise that you could have made an excelent game with that... you could have made like that boy returnes home and his sister isn't home... the house is in mess, than the boy realises that something bad happend, and there... the quest begins... the quest for his sister... so use my idea and continue that game... if you finish it good this time i can give you 6/5 biggrin.gif

Thats kinda what I'm doing now. lol. As I said earlier, this is only part of my game that I turned into a standalone game. I'm using this beginning for the big game that I am currently making.

--------------------

+Quote Post

RaidenPrime
post Jun 29 2009, 02:56 PM
Post #9

Communist
Group Icon

Type: Writer

I'd have to say that your a decent mapper and all of that jazz. Your good at making games, but unfortunately even for a short... (for me it was about 4 minutes) "game" it was fairly... well, to put it bluntly: boring. I can see you making a pretty good game with your skills, but this is kind of a failed experiment in my eyes.

--------------------
SSSR/CCCP Soviet Union & Communist Supporter
Current Project(s): Descent | Recruitment Thread

Favorite Music: Thrash/Speed Metal
Favorite Hobby: Table-top Role-playing

Contact Me at "RaidenPrime@Live.com"
Visit My Blogspot | Visit My Profile Page

+Quote Post

Etheral
post Jun 30 2009, 12:31 AM
Post #10

Group Icon

QUOTE (RaidenPrime @ Jun 30 2009, 02:56 AM) *
I'd have to say that your a decent mapper and all of that jazz. Your good at making games, but unfortunately even for a short... (for me it was about 4 minutes) "game" it was fairly... well, to put it bluntly: boring. I can see you making a pretty good game with your skills, but this is kind of a failed experiment in my eyes.

Haha ok. Thanks for the honest opinion.

--------------------

+Quote Post

LDUK
post Jul 5 2009, 09:19 AM
Post #11

Group Icon

Type: Musician

I think a 2/5 is a reasonable score for this game. I took in to account that it was a short game so I wont take away points for that.
The The level design, although very basic, wasn't too bad as I can see that stacking all those trees may have taken some time lol.
The inside of the house wasn't too bad either, and I liked the lighting effect.
The story was understood and made sence. Not the best story but what more could you put for a short game?
I think the main thing that hurt this game was the gameplay itself. It did lack entertainment and seemed incredibly basic. The fights were (From what I played, I'm not sure if there was something I missed) the same thing over and over. The Experience points had no point lol. So when you receive them no one cares. Maybe you should take it out of this game. Also. I have no clue as to what the stingers were for lol.

But this game was quick, simple and worth a play as it doesn't waste too much time. So I suppose that's a bonus lol. Its a great length game for beginners of RPG maker to sit back and see what element the game could have. So kudos for that.

--------------------
www.youtube.com/lduk

+Quote Post

Scathe
post Jul 5 2009, 08:44 PM
Post #12

Gettin' the hang of chillin' on a pole...
Group Icon

Type: Artist

2/5 Since there is no way to heal, especially when 50% of your attacks miss and u get enemies every 2 steps >.<

--------------------

My Shop
Spoiler:

CODE
[url=http://www.rpgmakervx.net/index.php?showtopic=22317][IMG]http://i347.photobucket.com/albums/p466/nightsnipe11/ShopUserbar.png[/IMG][/url]
CODE
[url=http://www.rpgmakervx.net/index.php?showtopic=22317][IMG]http://i588.photobucket.com/albums/ss324/Elaynii/Graphics/ElayniiUserbar.png[/IMG][/url]

My Tutorials

My Random Stuff
Spoiler:

+Quote Post

wltr3565
post Jul 8 2009, 10:15 AM
Post #13

The best BAKA ever
Group Icon

Type: Undisclosed
Alignment: True Neutral

I can only give you 2/5.

Reasons:
Spoiler:

-Lights are too bright
The light effects has given me some damage to my eyes. Too bright might bad for the player's eyes.

-Shortest story ever played
Rather a little shame to play it too fast.

-Simple story, but not cliche
I can't say this game has a cliche story, but simple. I enjoy a little.

-Risky battles
I suggest to not using battles. I can't say the battle is entertaining.

-Good mapping
Your mapping is good, I should say. Keep that up in your other games, if planning one.

--------------------
This place is empty, just like I restarted myself.

+Quote Post

Svoltzilla
post Jul 8 2009, 06:34 PM
Post #14

But soon enough you will care by the time I'm done.
Group Icon

I actually died in the forest. huh.gif So I have to take a point off the review because if I have only one attack option and no potions, items, etc. then I really shouldn't be dying. I'd tweak the battles a bit or cut them out.

I'm going to give it another chance later but I thought I'd point that out before finishing the game. It is a nice idea for a short game and your maps and eventing so far have been good.

Also, one more thing, and I might be mixing your game up with another one here, so sorry if I am. But with the butterflies that are flying around, you should set the event graphic to 'Above player character' or whatever it is, that way they look like they fly over you as opposed to you stepping on them. wink.gif

--------------------
Click here to find some great resources and VX help. Click here to listen to my music.

Other great games:
Gettin' Dizzy! by MrAnonymous
Ravenwood Horror by Min Chan

+Quote Post

babyangelgirl2
post Jul 8 2009, 08:37 PM
Post #15

It takes SKILL to be able to trip when you have wings.
Group Icon

Alignment: Lawful Evil

I'll give this game a 3/5. Why?
Well, there wasn't anything wrong with the game. Nothing that broke it but it wasn't entertaining either.
Also, like Svolta said, if we have to fight give us a heal spell or a potion or something. Just in case.
It wasn't 8-15 minutes in my case, more like 5.

--------------------
Good stuff, man. Good stuff.

+Quote Post

cyberskelet0n
post Jul 9 2009, 04:32 AM
Post #16

Living Proof of Death
Group Icon

Alignment: Lawful Neutral

Does anyone else get a creepy vibe from this game? ph34r.gif

I thought it was great, to be honest. Basic, but a bit unpredictable.
I was expecting something suddenly tragic or disturbing to happen. Like Vien getting killed by the hornets or drowning in the river on the way back.

The one tip I have to offer is that you need to put the splash on the bottom of the waterfall (in Other 2 in the sprites) to make them connect more naturally. To me, it looked like glacier water running into a tar pit. XD

--------------------

+Quote Post

Maximum
post Jul 9 2009, 10:58 AM
Post #17

Group Icon

I will give this game 2\5 because the story line is good but the rest is down in the gutters

+Quote Post

mudducky
post Jul 22 2009, 12:29 PM
Post #18

Lurking...
Group Icon

The game was nice, but it's not really a game...... If you expand on this more, make a bigger plot (this could still be the plot at the start of your game), add some more conflict etc it would probably turn out as a really fun game.

I don't really think this is a full game since it is only 5-10 minutes long. Instead I think you should rework, or another project, and make it longer. But I enjoyed playing it. smile.gif

I will not give this game a rating because it's too short for me to properly analyse.

--------------------
Want help with learning the RPG Maker VX events?

Support. Check out these projects! They are not placed in top ranking order or anything like that.

+Quote Post

DecroX01
post Aug 6 2009, 06:47 PM
Post #19

Group Icon

it was short, very short, beat it in like a minute. but it kept me entertained lol. when the newer version comse out id deffinently play it tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

Ruby_Dragon
post Sep 7 2009, 04:05 PM
Post #20

Group Icon

Alignment: Unaligned

Hi Etheral! smile.gif

I'll give this game a 3.5/5, I did enjoy it! It has potential! (Please forgive me for being so long-winded, but here are my thoughts!)

- I did enjoy the initial "burst of sunlight," it at least gives the player a sense that's it's morning - as there is often just the one light setting for [these] games!

- I wub.gif the fact that EVERYTHING appears to be interactive! As a player, I then know to search EVERYTHING!!

- Great map layouts!

- I'm no typical gamer in a sense: I often enjoy "exploring areas where I shouldn't be [at certain points in the game," and I *DID* try to go to the left of the home game screen; and COULDN'T: that's a great way to keep players on track!

- The battles weren't too bad, but by the time I reached the flowers, I was at 44HP - maybe he could find something like a Potion or some water in the flower patch? Help him along in his trek back? *Granted, [player] always wants to feel "full" with HP; if someone did die in the forest, I imagine it's becase they were "exploring" more; maybe increase the # of steps to troops? *One run through was perfect (just a few enemies to the flower patch and back); was the perfect amount, when you're going straight to the flowers - if you were to stop and explore along the way, yes it's easier to run into enemies!

Suggestion: *This is a great beginning! Instead of having this as "Chapter 1," have you considered expanding the storyline in chapters, and then you could include THIS chapter with Chapter One, as a Prologue? It would not only be a fun taste of what the game is like, it might come across to [player] that once the game is downloaded, they've acquired a BONUS game/chapter instead!!

*There was a previous suggestion (Vien comes home, and sister is gone) - that's pretty cool - he could continue by avenging his sister's disapearance...granted, it's easy for us to sit back and come up with storylines lol - I have a hard enough time with that as it is!

Thanks for sharing, I enjoyed that ... and I apologize for being so long winded!! I enjoy writing hehe biggrin.gif *hug* I look forward to following your works, I hope to see more - of this story and others! biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th April 2014 - 09:21 AM

RPGMakerVX.net is an Privacy Policy, Legal.