iPhone App Directory
RPG Maker VX

Gallery Members Search Calendar Help

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Collapse

>Announcement

Keep an eye out for the upcoming 3rd Quarter Contest!

Closed TopicStart new topic
> Before requesting a custom battle system!
Shanghai
post Jul 10 2009, 11:30 PM
Post #1

Group Icon

Type: Undisclosed

Request your own custom battle system here! I'll totally make it for you! ^______^

No.

There's a lot of things needed to be known about making custom battle systems that many people making requests tend to ignore. Of these things are three very important factors:
1) your own abilities,
2) scripters' desire to help you,
3) and scripts that are already available for use.

Your own abilities will make YOUR own game. Considering battle systems generally make up a third or more of an RPG, asking someone else to do this for you is completely selfish. Especially if they have never even met you before in their life. Let's not forget that many of the scripters here aren't necessarily professionals either, so they won't be able to bring out the scripter's own abilities to make the systems for you even if you somehow did manage to convince one to do so. With that said, it's better to look around for something you can work with than not work with anything at all. If you can't have the battle system EXACTLY the way you want, stop being so spoiled and choose the closest thing similar to it. There's already a lot of battle systems available and already made around here. However, just because they don't fit your every inch of desire doesn't mean you shouldn't use them.

That is exactly why anyone making a custom battle system request will never ever get it fulfilled. If you do want it fulfilled, there's two options.

1) You learn RGSS2 for VX and you make it yourself. This most likely isn't going to happen because anyone who's already developed the mindset of asking for a pre-made custom battle system will almost never do anything like that by themselves. Also, a complete beginner to programming will not make a custom battle system in such a short period of time. That just isn't going to happen.

...the other thing...

2) You work with what's already out there and you make small adjustments here and there to SLOWLY make the battle system closer to what you have in mind. And that's the BEST course of action to do not to mention you will also develop your own skills and understanding about HOW to make a battle system work. You will also learn that battle systems don't come in just one piece either.

So what are your options for starting out?

First things first, KNOW how to use RPG Maker. There's several things you absolutely need to know and MUST know before working on something as complex as piecing together a complex battle system:
1. How to use events.
2. How to use switches.
3. How to use variables.
4. How to install scripts.
5. How to use common events.

Why are those important? I'll explain everything.

Eventing, in short, is a form of programming. It's much easier to grasp than general programming because it's point and click and the things the events are programmed for are very much self explanatory. By learning how to event, you in short learn how to "program" basic functions for your RPG to handle. By learning these small little things such as making messages appear, moving a character to this location, etc. you learn a little bit more about RPG Maker. So what does all of that have to do with a custom battle system? Everything. Knowing how to piece together a battle system is just like eventing. How's that related? Let's say you want to add in a steal system, then a morale system, then a limit break system, etc. That's actually very similar to making an event work. Knowing how to piece together parts of various programming will not only let you create your custom battle system from a basic foundation but also teach you ABOUT programming.

Switches are very important. Though most programmers refer to them as flags, switches determine what can work and will not work. They determine what's on or off, what's true or false, what's allowed and not allowed, what's... yeah, you get the point. Though you may not encounter switches as often in a battle system, they are still vital knowledge that you cannot ignore. They are used for customized enemy actions in the database, they determine when certain battle events occur, they determine a number of things. This isn't just limited to battles either. Switches are used almost always in progressing an RPG. What does this go back to? Learning how RPG Maker works.

Though people may already know how events and switches work, a lot of beginners ignore how variables work (or even fail to realize they exist). For everything that switches can't do, variables most likely can do them. Variables are also going to be used even moreso in a custom battle system than switches. Variables can be used to determine custom damage formulas, accuracy of skills, the number of allies in your party, the number of enemies that are alive, the level of certain characters, etc., etc. Although many scripts don't require you to use variables, you absolutely have to use them when you cannot find a script that appeals to your needs. Variables are used in every which way when that happens.

Knowing how to install scripts is extremely important, too. If you're a beginner and you don't know how to install a script, move on. You're not ready for any of this yet. If you're not a beginner and you do know how to install scripts, continue reading this paragraph as it's extremely important, too. Just installing a script doesn't mean it's going to work. You need to understand the options the script has for compatibility with other scripts. Not every script you install is going to work with the other. You also need to know how to prioritize some scripts over others. What does this mean? It means knowing how to order your scripts. Yes, the order does matter since it determines which script is going to work and overwrite the other. If you don't understand how that works, I strongly suggest taking a visit to the support forum.

And finally, knowing how to use common events. Common events are VITAL to your custom battle system when you cannot find a script that does something you need. Why is this? Because common events can be launched from skills, items, and even the battles themselves. This means that if you can't find a script that does what you want, you don't have to be a cry-baby about it and yell HALP ME! on this forum for something that can be evented. Like I said earlier, eventing is just another way of programming. If a script can do it, chances are, a common event can also do it. Of all the battle scripts I've seen, so many of them can be remade with common events. They may not be as clean or whatever, but when those scripts aren't available, your own experience as an eventer can make what you need for you.

And so... I've emphasized why all of those five points are important.

Why should you listen to any of that though? Because if you aren't making your own game, nobody else will. If you're in a team and you're screaming for script requests, your team isn't going to get anywhere. That's why YOU need to do everything in YOUR own hands. If you can't get past that block, you need to let your dream die and deal with the default battle system. Because, like I said earlier, no one else is going to make it for you.

So what kind of pre-made battle systems are out there?

This is not a list of everything you can use. In order to use these scripts, you have to understand them before even trying to stick them into your game. Because let's face it, if you're using a script you don't even know how it works, you fail! Of these scripts, lots of them include various instructions on how to get working, lots of them require a lot of experimenting before you get something right, and lots of them you won't get working on the first get go. I'll be listing them from here on out in the following format:

Battle System Name: This will be the name of the battle system.
Description: A small description of the battle system.
Installation: Installation process and requirements and difficulty of using the system.
Pros: The pros of the system.
Cons: The cons of the system.

Here goes.

Battle System Name: Enu's Tankentai Sideview Battle System (normal and ATB)
Description: This is a very strong sideview battle system and probably the reason why it's the most widely used. Like its title says, it's a sideview battle system that can be either normal turn based or active turn based. Animations can be pretty much customized to the extent of your own understanding of the battle system itself. You can also adjust various mechanics within the battle system as well. There's also the Kaduki version you can find here.
Installation: This script requires deep script configuration if you want to get to get far. You also need custom battlers for your individual characters and know how to use them properly. Furthermore, you also need to learn the "Tankentai Language" used to animate skills, actions, and other good stuff. If you don't have time or brain cells to understand all of that, the battle system is not for you. We don't need to make that system into more of a noob magnet than it already is.
Pros: The battle system is very animated and very strong with its innate mechanic add-ons. This is one heckuva eye candy battle system and probably the reason why it's the most popular. You can do so many different things with this battle system that the possibilities seem endless.
Cons: This battle system has some serious compatibility issues with other scripts, namely the ones that affect other battle properties. This is because Tankentai overwrites so many different things and makes them near completely unusable unless compatibility patches are made for them. Thankfully, there's some already included inside the thread themselves.

Battle System Name: ziifee's Wait Gauge Battle System
Description: Compared to another particular battle system, ziifee's Wait Gauge Battle is much simpler. It adds an active time battle system similar to Final Fantasy, but keeps the simple front-view aesthetic of the default battle system. Animations and damage pop-ups appear on actors' face graphics similar to RMXP's battlers.
Installation: Much easier to install than Tankentai. Still requires a lot of attention to get right, however. Install hud images in proper folders.
Pros: Easy to install and simplistic. Doesn't require heavy duty maintenance like Tankentai does.
Cons: Like most ATB battle systems, battle scripts have little compatibility.

Battle System Name: Yanfly's Scene Battle ReDux
Description: This is a remake of the frontview default battle system to reflect a better battle sequence and provide damage popups that the default system didn't have. It gives the option to get rid of the annoying messages such as enemies taking damage and entering such and such states. If you preferred the front view to the side view, this is the script for you. This system is normal turn-based only.
Installation: Installing this script is practically plug and play. However, there's many settings installed within the script that you can alter to fit your style. It's highly recommended that you adjust these settings to make it meet your expectations.
Pros: Because the system is modified to be very similar to the default battle system, pretty much any battle script out there that's compatible with the default battle system will be compatible with this one. The fact it's made by Yanfly also means all the other Yanfly scripts will be compatible with it.
Cons: The lack of sideview battlers may be a turn off for others. And other than the few visual changes, this in short is nothing other than the default battle system with annoyances fixed.

Battle System Name: Vlad's Requiem ABS
Description: This is an on-screen battle system. Similar to Zelda and Secret of Mana, you run around on the map striking at enemies and they strike back at you all in real time. This is the best on-screen system we have available to date for RPG Maker VX and for several reasons. Most of these reasons include high customization potential and overall control through evented monsters.
Installation: Getting it set up at first is the hardest part. This is because you need to carefully follow the instructions on how to set up your monsters, how to make your spells a certain way, adjust your menus a particular way, etc.
Pros: Very flexible on-screen battle system. Includes spell capabilities, easy to customize monsters, everything is pretty good.
Cons: Because it's on-screen, you can expect a lot of battle scripts to not work with this. Even worse, a lot of on-screen map scripts will also not work with this.

Battle System Name: Gubid's Tactical Battle System
Description: For those who would like to make a battle system similar to Final Fantasy Tactics or Fire Emblem or Disgaea, this is the script for you. You place your party members on certain maps, enemies, too. You control the turn flow and they'll control theirs. Gubid's system gives a lot of control over what you can do with the script.
Installation: Creating a battle maps can be a nightmare in the beginning. Some users say they still remain nightmares towards the end, but that's entirely dependent on the skill of the user. Otherwise, installing this script is not problematic at all.
Pros: This is the only script where you can turn off the tactical battle system and resume with the default (or whatever else you have rolling with it). On top of that, the battle system is pretty flexible in how you want its mechanics to work.
Cons: Just like Vlad's ABS, this one will have a lot of battle scripts incompatible with it for many obvious reasons. Although I've yet to see any non-battle scripts have conflicts with it, that may also be a possibility considering the fact the tactical battle maps use... well, maps.

And those are the various bases you can work with. If you want to do more, you build up from what they've already made. They don't have a package of everything you want in it at once. If you want to add more, look for these extra scripts to find the effects you need.

So what kinds of extras can I add to my battle system?

These kinds of things are better off investigated by yourself. Before everything else, there's a number of places you should look at first before even considering asking for a script add-on made just for you (you selfish cod). What are these places?

1) The master script list. This is a VERY informative and VERY important list put together by this community. It contains battle scripts, battle enhancements, and even other battle systems. They're made by many different scripters of many different backgrounds. If you can't find a script you want from that list, you probably need to get your eyes checked again.

2) KGC's Script Library. KGC is a Japanese-origin scripter that has made several useful scripts both for in-battle and out of battle. They're easily installed, highly compatible with many scripts, and provide many lost features previously available in older iterations of RPG Maker. KGC's scripts are also very easy to use as they do not require script diving to get skills and other functions working properly. Very newbie friendly.

3) Yanfly Engine ReDux. Yanfly's a recently appeared scripter and a recently departed scripter. But before departing, Yanfly has left us with a huge library of scripts that function for both battle and out of battle. Very similar to KGC in programming style and ease, you can expect high compatibility with many scripts, too. Not to mention they're all compatible with the frontview system listed above.

4) And finally, check out other RPG Maker VX sites. This is not meant as a form of advertisement, but as a form of bettering your own game. Do not limit your findings to just this community alone as great as it is. All in all, we're here to help YOU improve YOUR game and YOURSELF as a game creator. However, this will only go as far as the effort you put into making your own games.

So am I all alone in making my own custom battle system?

No, you're not. We're all making our own custom battle systems. Some are just a lot more customized than others. If you ever stumble on yourself or need some help, we're here to answer questions for you. However, we're NOT here to baby you and make things for you. Your own customized battle system will only be as good as the effort you put into it, not ours. There's two sub forums on this site to help you out in making your own system fit for your game. Be sure to check them out.

Learning Ruby and RGSS2

and

Scripting Language Support

Take your first step on your own and reach your hand out to grab hold of what you really want to make.

~Shanghai

This post has been edited by Shanghai: Jul 11 2009, 05:08 PM

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

BigEd781
post Jul 10 2009, 11:32 PM
Post #2

No method: 'stupid_title' found for 'nil:NilClass`
Group Icon

Type: Coder
Alignment: Chaotic Good

Well, I appreciate your effort in this thread, I hope you are up to the task. seaniscool should be swinging by any minute now...

--------------------
My blog - It's awesome, I assure you
While sloppy writing does not invariably mean sloppy thinking, we've generally found the correlation to be strong -- and we have no use for sloppy thinkers. If you can't yet write competently, learn to. - Eric Raymond

---
My awards for being so awesome
Spoiler:

+Quote Post

Omegas7
post Jul 11 2009, 02:23 AM
Post #3

stai sprecando il tuo tempo
Group Icon

Alignment: Chaotic Evil

Wow great topic...

Here is my request:

... biggrin.gif ...

-----

I had no idea about ziifee's Wait Gauge Battle system, it looks really nice...

This post has been edited by Omegas7: Jul 11 2009, 02:24 AM

--------------------
Chooo Chooo

+Quote Post

MASH_MX
post Jul 11 2009, 02:34 AM
Post #4

"Everyone Is Unique In There Own Defined Way."
Group Icon

Type: Writer

As far as what I read here this is not for people to have custom battle systems made here.
In that case it would be false for the title to be what it is.
This threads title should be changed to avoid the confusion of newer users wanting a battle system made.
dry.gif This whole thread seems to be your own opinion on the matter of scripting a battle system.

--------------------
My Projects:
My User bar for the thread is broken click this instead. >.> (Project XeroMX)

My new incoming Community Terraria Server! =)
Other:

Other People and things I support:
Spoiler:

+Quote Post

BigEd781
post Jul 11 2009, 02:40 AM
Post #5

Group Icon

Wow, didn't even notice that MASH...

Well, the title is highly misleading, but now that I read the whole thing, I think I will change the title and sticky it.

--------------------
While sloppy writing does not invariably mean sloppy thinking, we've generally found the correlation to be strong -- and we have no use for sloppy thinkers. If you can't yet write competently, learn to. - Eric Raymond

---
Spoiler:

+Quote Post

MASH_MX
post Jul 11 2009, 02:47 AM
Post #6

"Everyone Is Unique In There Own Defined Way."
Group Icon

Type: Writer

QUOTE (BigEd781 @ Jul 10 2009, 06:40 PM) *
Wow, didn't even notice that MASH...

Well, the title is highly misleading, but now that I read the whole thing, I think I will change the title and sticky it.

No problem Ed, Just getting it across before some confusion arose. wink.gif I'm looking out for this community and all who inhabit it.
And yeah The title just had that " Oooooo someones offering to make a battle system for a (insert name here) like me WoOot! " feel to it,
Which when introduced to the wonders of the human brain make you skip any point in what is truly being pointed out.

--------------------
My Projects:
My User bar for the thread is broken click this instead. >.> (Project XeroMX)

My new incoming Community Terraria Server! =)
Other:

Other People and things I support:
Spoiler:

+Quote Post

Mithran
post Jul 11 2009, 04:07 AM
Post #7

Scripter
Group Icon

Alignment: True Neutral

Very informitive post. The original title was a bit sarcastic, and I could see now how that might have confused some people (especially those that just go around requesting custom battle systems with a two sentence post and expect results in a couple days).

--------------------

+Quote Post

Archeia
post Jul 11 2009, 04:18 AM
Post #8

豁下愛麗斯
Group Icon

Type: Designer

But you know, Yanfly's script is just a rewrite of the default and yeah idk. I guess it really doesn't count?

--------------------

Spoiler:
Bars and Stuff

+Quote Post

Shanghai
post Jul 11 2009, 04:28 AM
Post #9

Group Icon

It doesn't but I think it's a good idea to list it since it has stuff people want in the defualt if they want to use that. Namely the damage popups, the removed annoying messages, and always being able to see the party window during battle phase.

--------------------

+Quote Post

BigEd781
post Jul 11 2009, 06:26 AM
Post #10

Group Icon

QUOTE (Mithran @ Jul 10 2009, 09:07 PM) *
(especially those that just go around requesting custom battle systems with a two sentence post and expect results in a couple days).

And me too smile.gif

--------------------

---
Spoiler:

+Quote Post

GrandmaDeb
post Jul 11 2009, 09:49 AM
Post #11

Retired
Group Icon

Alignment: Unaligned

Wow, Shanghai!

I mean, W0W!

Thanks for taking the time to summarize all of this information! Great contribution!

(also, just FYI, I had hoped to update that script list by the end of summer, but as it stands now, it is only updated thru 2008)
/me shrugs a "sorry"

--------------------

+Quote Post

wltr3565
post Jul 11 2009, 11:25 AM
Post #12

The best BAKA ever
Group Icon

Err, Shanghai, ziife's wait battle gauge battle system is not sideview, but frontview. It's the atb version of the default battle system with the spin menu installed.

This is a good one to be wrote, especially for stopping those battle system requestors to scream. As a battle system eventer(minigame) I agree, if that's out of our scripting skills, let's event ourselves.

--------------------
This place is empty, just like I restarted myself.

+Quote Post

Shanghai
post Jul 11 2009, 05:08 PM
Post #13

Group Icon

Oops, thanks for notice. I've fixed it.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Overlord_Dave
post Jul 14 2009, 03:01 PM
Post #14

Overlord of your face! Yeah, I went there.
Group Icon

Alignment: Neutral Good

I'm really pleased you've made this post.

A few months ago it took about 4 posts to explain to someone that not matter how simple their battle system looked on paper, it was too much to expect someone to make it for them.

Now all I need to do is post a link...

...as you've been doing so effectively biggrin.gif

--------------------
Overlord_Dave's super-awesome blog

EVERYBODY LOOK: modern algebra's Script Searching Tutorial
I'm getting tired of seeing him plug this every time someone requests a script that already exists :)

BEFORE REQUESTING A CUSTOM BATTLE SYSTEM, THINK! (<-- clicky clicky)

My To-do list:
Spoiler:
  • v2.0 of Overlord_Dave's World Map (needs a complete re-write :s)
  • RTP dungeon crawler (as yet unnamed)
  • InstaGame script
  • The Corridor (this'll take a while)
  • TREv3 battle system (which will take the remainder of my life)
  • Pillars of D'Mahnia (which, due to the fact above, is as yet beyond the realm of physical possibility. Yay!)

My contributions:
Spoiler:

My tutorials:

My scripts:
Spoiler:

DRIAC System - massive overhaul of the item system, with a restricted inventory and chests which remember their contents
Overlord_Dave's World Map - highly customisable world map system
Overlord_Dave's Full HP After Battle - does what it says on the proverbial tin
Overlord_Dave's AnimSprite class - a class that makes animating sprites ludicrously simple

I did a silly test:
Spoiler:

(I AM AWAKE AT 4AM TO THE TERRIFYING UNDENIABLE TRUTH THAT THERE IS NOTHING I CAN DO TO STOP THE MONSTER)

+Quote Post

D.elisy
post Oct 22 2009, 09:57 PM
Post #15

Group Icon

It is apparent that when we all have good ideas we just blurt them out, I know Im guilty of this as well. But before creating a new post for a really cool feature youd like to see in the next version, please scan the titles of the posts on at least the first page here and maybe even the second page. There is nothing wrong with bringing an old post back from the dead. I see 3 posts on the first page right now anyway requesting the same thing. Just trying to clean up around here. Thanks.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Retired-Pine
post Oct 22 2009, 10:01 PM
Post #16

Not a democracy
Group Icon

Type: Spriter
Alignment: Lawful Evil

dry.gif

--------------------

Spoiler:

Awards
Spoiler:

Games I support [under construction]
Spoiler:

+Quote Post

Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd August 2014 - 03:36 AM

RPGMakerVX.net is an Privacy Policy, Legal.