iPhone App Directory
RPG Maker VX

Gallery Members Search Calendar Help

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Collapse

>Announcement

Keep an eye out for the upcoming 3rd Quarter Contest!

> ATTENTION!

Do not post questions about Ace in this section. Any and all Ace related support should be posted in the Ace section found here.

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Closed TopicStart new topic
> How can I walk "through" walls?, AKA. FF5/Lufia2/other games.
Deathwyvern
post Jul 17 2009, 06:20 AM
Post #1

No idea what is going on.
Group Icon

Type: Writer

I've been trying to figure this out for an hour now and I'm getting quite frustrated because nothing I am doing is working correctly. Basically if you remember for anyone that played Lufia 2 or FF5, there were often places you could see but not get to, unless you found a "fake" wall. You could walk through said wall, on a designated path to said area and receive your treasure or whatever is in there.

For example...in this screenshot

Spoiler:

I want my character to be able to walk "through" the wall from point A to point B. While following only the lined path. I also want my character to be hidden underneath the ceiling so you can't see him.

Sorry if I was unclear at all...any help is appreciated, because I have no idea how to go about doing this. Everything I have tried so far has ended in failure.

By the way, yes I have searched around here for this information and haven't come across it yet, hence why I made this topic. I'd do a more detailed search with the search engine, however the search engine does not like it when I search for specific things...or something.

This post has been edited by Deathwyvern: Jul 17 2009, 06:26 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

MoPo25
post Jul 17 2009, 06:32 AM
Post #2

Group Icon

Making the Map(the one you want) is "above character" and that should do it, I think...

This post has been edited by MoPo25: Jul 17 2009, 06:36 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post

Deathwyvern
post Jul 17 2009, 06:38 AM
Post #3

Group Icon

Not exactly, because I have no event to match the ceiling tiles that the player needs to walk through. I suppose I could make one, but that's something I'd rather not do unless its a last resort...and then I'd have to do it for every place like that in the game. Which would be a tedious/annoying process. I'm sure there must be an easy way to accomplish this without needing 100 tiles to do it. I've tried making it so when the player touches the wall his sprite changes to none and turning on the "through" option to allow him to walk through the wall, however that just lets the player walk wherever they want afterwords. I need them to strictly be stuck on the lined path to point B.

+Quote Post

MoPo25
post Jul 17 2009, 06:42 AM
Post #4

Group Icon

I think the answer is in Aindra's School...Did you download it?
I'm sorry if I can't be much help.

--------------------

+Quote Post

MASH_MX
post Jul 17 2009, 06:42 AM
Post #5

"Everyone Is Unique In There Own Defined Way."
Group Icon

Alignment: Chaotic Good

okay this might or might not work, but its worth a try.
Make an event, then set its property as bellow player and make it blank. Just keep doing that for the path and you should be able to walk through the walls.
wink.gif Let me know how that works.

--------------------
I stream allot through the week and weekends, catch me live here: Ez0Mash's Channel
My Projects:
My User bar for the thread is broken click this instead. >.> (Project XeroMX)
Other:

Other People and things I support:
Spoiler:

+Quote Post

Deathwyvern
post Jul 17 2009, 06:48 AM
Post #6

Group Icon

No go. I set up some blank events as below character along the path, wasn't able to get through. Also tried above character, couldn't get through. Basically, the wall is still there, and the event is on top of the ceiling/wall so it doesn't really work. I also tried checking the "through" option for all of the events, that didn't work either =(.

+Quote Post

Neosky
post Jul 17 2009, 06:50 AM
Post #7

Master of the DarkSyde of Cheese!
Group Icon

Type: Undisclosed
Alignment: Lawful Evil

-----Scratch my post----- I forgot that on VX you can't set those types as over head.

But what you can do is just make a good size block print screen, then cut out each part as it's own tile, when you put it on your tileE it'll look like a box but you can take peices of it to form your walls and such, and you'll have the middle part as your black you could just use fill on. once it looks like your shot again just make those Tiles over head hand make a border of same as character to stop them from going in further then you want.

Sorry I forgot about the default border settings....

This post has been edited by neosky: Jul 17 2009, 06:59 AM

--------------------

Remember, Remember the 5th of November...
Spoiler:

If you are new, please go through this spoiler for VERY useful links.
Spoiler:

Tarris Thread || User Forum || Tarris Hold Website || Twitch.tv

+Quote Post

MASH_MX
post Jul 17 2009, 06:50 AM
Post #8

Group Icon

Can you post a screen shot of what you did for my suggestion?
I might be able to offer a bit more help if you can do that.

--------------------
I stream allot through the week and weekends, catch me live here: Ez0Mash's Channel
My Projects:
Other:

Spoiler:

+Quote Post

Deathwyvern
post Jul 17 2009, 07:05 AM
Post #9

Group Icon

QUOTE (neosky @ Jul 17 2009, 06:50 AM) *
-----Scratch my post----- I forgot that on VX you can't set those types as over head.

But what you can do is just make a good size block print screen, then cut out each part as it's own tile, when you put it on your tileE it'll look like a box but you can take peices of it to form your walls and such, and you'll have the middle part as your black you could just use fill on. once it looks like your shot again just make those Tiles over head hand make a border of same as character to stop them from going in further then you want.

Sorry I forgot about the default border settings....

I know what you mean, I'd have to set down floor tiles that you can walk on, with events that look like the walls/ceilings with the "above character" property along the path. That or edit them into my Tile E set with the * passage setting. Problem with the later is that my Tile E set is pretty much full. I'm just wondering if there is any way to accomplish this without having to make tiles for it? I'm planning on having a lot of areas like this in the game for a lot of secret items. I'd prefer not to have to make tiles for each individual place that I want to do this in, if possible.

For MASH_MX

Here is a screenshot of what you suggested, the tiles in the middle are all set to Above Character, while the ones on the sides are Same as character to keep the character in the boundary. However, it doesn't work. The character will still hit the wall and not be able to move through it/under it.

Spoiler:

This post has been edited by Deathwyvern: Jul 17 2009, 07:18 AM

+Quote Post

MASH_MX
post Jul 17 2009, 07:11 AM
Post #10

Group Icon

You could always use events. Still looking to see screen shots. happy.gif

--------------------
My Projects:
Other:

Spoiler:

+Quote Post

Neosky
post Jul 17 2009, 07:21 AM
Post #11

Master of the DarkSyde of Cheese!
Group Icon

Alignment: Lawful Evil

As far as i know that would be the way to do it since you can't make the actual border tiles over head...

Idk any other way, I know what you mean about the TileE mines full... sad.gif But there is this new endless tile script that work wonders. Just takes a lil getting used to.

This post has been edited by neosky: Jul 17 2009, 07:22 AM

--------------------

Remember, Remember the 5th of November...
Spoiler:

If you are new, please go through this spoiler for VERY useful links.
Spoiler:

Tarris Thread || User Forum || Tarris Hold Website || Twitch.tv

+Quote Post

MASH_MX
post Jul 17 2009, 07:28 AM
Post #12

Group Icon

I'm still pretty sure you can event this... I really wanna see how he did it for my suggestion.
Still curious. tongue.gif

--------------------
My Projects:
Other:

Spoiler:

+Quote Post

Deathwyvern
post Jul 17 2009, 07:32 AM
Post #13

Group Icon

QUOTE (MASH_MX @ Jul 17 2009, 07:28 AM) *
I'm still pretty sure you can event this... I really wanna see how he did it for my suggestion.
Still curious. tongue.gif

I provided a screen shot 3 posts up. It doesn't work, however. The middle tiles I have tried setting their properties to Above character, below character, I've tried turning on through. None of that works, the character still hits the wall and cannot go through because the wall itself is still there. Like I said the only way I've been able to slightly make this work so far has been to set a self switch when the character hits the wall that makes it so they can go "through" objects, but then they can go anywhere they want after that. Which obviously doesn't work =(.

+Quote Post

Deathwyvern
post Jul 17 2009, 07:32 AM
Post #14

Group Icon

Internet messed up and said connection interrupted which resulted in a double post, sorry mods.

This post has been edited by Deathwyvern: Jul 17 2009, 07:33 AM

+Quote Post

MASH_MX
post Jul 17 2009, 07:38 AM
Post #15

Group Icon

Hum..... I have an Idea....
Try making an event and set a move route when the action key is press then sets the player to walk through the wall forcing him too... then set a map transfer and select the secret area. Do this for the secret area but allow him to go back to where he transferred from. Make sure its set to same as player and its on the wall.
I will post a example screen shot if needed. happy.gif Let me know how that works out.

--------------------
My Projects:
Other:

Spoiler:

+Quote Post

Deathwyvern
post Jul 17 2009, 07:47 AM
Post #16

Group Icon

QUOTE (MASH_MX @ Jul 17 2009, 07:38 AM) *
Hum..... I have an Idea....
Try making an event and set a move route when the action key is press then sets the player to walk through the wall forcing him too... then set a map transfer and select the secret area. Do this for the secret area but allow him to go back to where he transferred from. Make sure its set to same as player and its on the wall.
I will post a example screen shot if needed. happy.gif Let me know how that works out.

That would work, unfortunately not what I'm aiming for though. I definitely don't want the players character to walk by itself to the room, I want the player to go there themselves. I especially don't want them transported/teleported there in any way. Thanks for the help everyone who tried, though. I'm going to call it quits on this little idea for now I guess and continue working on other things ;p.

Anyone who has anymore ideas, feel free to post them though.

+Quote Post

MASH_MX
post Jul 17 2009, 07:50 AM
Post #17

Group Icon

Well If I think of another way or I even figure this out I'll let you know either here or VIA PM. Sorry and good luck. wink.gif

--------------------
My Projects:
Other:

Spoiler:

+Quote Post

Mr. Bubble
post Jul 17 2009, 08:52 AM
Post #18

Group Icon

Alignment: Unaligned

Here's a demo of what I would do.

http://www.mediafire.com/?iyk0254ynd3

--------------------
I no longer support Tankentai.

+Quote Post

Deathwyvern
post Jul 17 2009, 09:28 AM
Post #19

Group Icon

QUOTE (Mr. Bubble @ Jul 17 2009, 09:52 AM) *
Here's a demo of what I would do.

http://www.mediafire.com/?iyk0254ynd3

I guess that is the only way to go about doing it, huh? No big problem I guess, just a little more effort I have to put in. Thanks Mr. Bubble, problem solved I suppose.

+Quote Post

Mr. Bubble
post Jul 17 2009, 09:36 AM
Post #20

Group Icon

Alignment: Unaligned

QUOTE (Deathwyvern @ Jul 17 2009, 02:28 AM) *
I guess that is the only way to go about doing it, huh? No big problem I guess, just a little more effort I have to put in. Thanks Mr. Bubble, problem solved I suppose.

Making a game takes time and effort. What else did you expect? tongue.gif

--------------------
I no longer support Tankentai.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st September 2014 - 09:12 AM

RPGMakerVX.net is an Privacy Policy, Legal.