iPhone App Directory
RPG Maker VX

Gallery Members Search Calendar Help

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Collapse

>Announcement

Keep an eye out for the upcoming 3rd Quarter Contest!

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Increasing Frame Rate
Increasing Frame Rate
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total Votes: 31
Guests cannot vote 
Svoltzilla
post Jul 20 2009, 11:33 AM
Post #1

But soon enough you will care by the time I'm done.
Group Icon

Type: Musician
Alignment: True Neutral

I don't know if there's already been a topic like this, I can't exactly search for 'fps'.

So, I'm wondering what kind of frame rate everyone is getting when they play games using VX. And I'm also wondering if there are any quick ways to increase it, or just make games run faster in general. I'm running generally between 5-10 FPS and the game stutters regularly every 5 seconds, which makes playing any RM game a complete nightmare. If there are too many events on screen, I can end up with load times upwards of 20 seconds going between screens.

FPS, for anyone who doesn't know, refers to Frames Per Second and if you play a game in windowed mode, it should say what you're running at in the information bar at the top next to the game name.

I'm not even sure if low frame rate is really what's making my game stutter, since I know next to nothing about that, so if I'm misunderstanding something, please tell me. And I know that 60 FPS might be stupidly high, I just wanted to make sure the poll would have enough options.

--------------------
Click here to find some great resources and VX help. Click here to listen to my music.

Other great games:
Gettin' Dizzy! by MrAnonymous
Ravenwood Horror by Min Chan
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

fmjpr
post Jul 20 2009, 11:38 AM
Post #2

Group Icon

Type: Writer
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral

It is the low frame rate most likely causing your stutter. If you have an older pc that may be the problem as well. My games run pretty smooth even with a decent number of events on screen.

--------------------
Trailer for It Came From Yesterday: Click Me

This was made by a dear friend of mine. Any support is appreciated! Also, Like the Facebook page while you're at it: It Came From Yesterday

New and improved official site: ICFY

Swagbucks referral link: http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/jbart321

+Quote Post

Svoltzilla
post Jul 20 2009, 11:45 AM
Post #3

Group Icon

QUOTE (Jasonicus @ Jul 20 2009, 04:38 AM) *
It is the low frame rate most likely causing your stutter. If you have an older pc that may be the problem as well. My games run pretty smooth even with a decent number of events on screen.

My computer is incredibly old, so it doesn't necessarily surprise me that I'm having the problem. I'm not sure exactly how old... but it doesn't support USB 2.0, so that should give you an idea. mellow.gif

--------------------
Click here to find some great resources and VX help. Click here to listen to my music.

Other great games:

+Quote Post

wltr3565
post Jul 20 2009, 12:03 PM
Post #4

The best BAKA ever
Group Icon

Type: Undisclosed

To increase your framerate, press F1 while playing an RGSS2 game, click general tab, and uncheck the reduce screen flickering. And viola, FPS is maxed! It only lagged while playing complex events though (40 FPS). It happened while I'm testing my game. Awesome lag it was... After I done the above, the lag decreased, trust me. To note that my game used KGC map lightening.

--------------------
This place is empty, just like I restarted myself.

+Quote Post

Retired-Pine
post Jul 20 2009, 12:30 PM
Post #5

Not a democracy
Group Icon

Type: Spriter
Alignment: Lawful Evil

Never I have to use that... to be honest, even my old PC, which was a K7 at 900Mhz with XP and 512 RAM, could run without lags tongue.gif

--------------------

Spoiler:

Awards
Spoiler:

Games I support [under construction]
Spoiler:

+Quote Post

Svoltzilla
post Jul 20 2009, 12:38 PM
Post #6

Group Icon

QUOTE (PINEDAVX @ Jul 20 2009, 05:30 AM) *
Never I have to use that... to be honest, even my old PC, which was a K7 at 900Mhz with XP and 512 RAM, could run without lags tongue.gif

I just checked and I'm running with XP at 863 Mhz and 256 RAM. That's not my only computer, but it is the one I use VX on. It's just kind of puzzling for me because I can run some pretty resource intensive programs (Sibelius 5, Sonar 4 etc.) with only occasional issues, it just seems like VX games should be able to run lag free.

I'm trying to play War of the Nigel and it's excruciating because all the waits he has programmed into the dialogue just get even more extended because of the slow speed. tongue.gif

--------------------

Other great games:

+Quote Post

Seaniscool
post Jul 20 2009, 05:59 PM
Post #7

Group Icon

Type: Designer

Mine doesnt show that, anyway I dont have lag.

--------------------

+Quote Post

SporkOfDoom
post Jul 21 2009, 07:45 PM
Post #8

Group Icon

Alignment: Unaligned

QUOTE (Svolta @ Jul 20 2009, 01:38 PM) *
I just checked and I'm running with XP at 863 Mhz and 256 RAM. That's not my only computer, but it is the one I use VX on. It's just kind of puzzling for me because I can run some pretty resource intensive programs (Sibelius 5, Sonar 4 etc.) with only occasional issues, it just seems like VX games should be able to run lag free.

I have an old computer that runs them really slowly too. It's Enterbrain's fault - they were very unoptimized with how they handled some of the coding. There's a reason they recommend 2ghz processors & 512 ram for running RMVX games ohmy.gif

Unfortunately, the basic lag is not even something you can fix with custom scripts

--------------------
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Rpg Maker VX Resources - rmvx.gameClover.com
- - - -- - - - - - Blogthing updated daily with new stuff you can use

(Ok, maybe not daily anymore :))

+Quote Post

Kav
post Jul 21 2009, 09:09 PM
Post #9

Group Icon

Alignment: Chaotic Neutral

QUOTE (Svolta @ Jul 20 2009, 07:33 AM) *
And I know that 60 FPS might be stupidly high

No it isn't. RMVX games are supposed to run at 60 FPS. And newer games run at speeds higher than that.

--------------------

Spoiler:

+Quote Post

Svoltzilla
post Jul 21 2009, 09:12 PM
Post #10

Group Icon

QUOTE (Kav @ Jul 21 2009, 02:09 PM) *
No it isn't. RMVX games are supposed to run at 60 FPS. And newer games run at speeds higher than that.

Yeah, I just assumed since some newer games run at even lower than 60 in some cases, that RMVX games wouldn't be running that high. But like I said, I don't really know much about it.

--------------------

Other great games:

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 31st July 2014 - 04:30 AM

RPGMakerVX.net is an Privacy Policy, Legal.