iPhone App Directory
RPG Maker VX

Gallery Members Search Calendar Help

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Collapse

>Announcement

The 2nd Quarter Contest has arrived! Go check it out in the Community Announcements now!

> ATTENTION!

Do not post questions about Ace in this section. Any and all Ace related support should be posted in the Ace section found here.

Closed TopicStart new topic
> Scroll map problems
Puff
post Aug 10 2009, 11:07 PM
Post #1

Group Icon

Type: Musician

Hey, I have a problem with an event witch is including scroll map. I'm in a long opening conversation and the map slowly starts to scroll down. Then I want it to keep scrolling down to a certain part of the conversation were the map comes back to the character and event talking. To make it come back I used transport player, and the map comes back to were it started. But my problem is that it now starts to go down AGAIN. Is there any way of stopping scroll at any selected point of the event?

I want to be able to fix this without using a script if possible.

Thanks //Puff

--------------------
Remember... I'm a NEWBIE... not a NOOB

Completed:

-

Currently working on:

-
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

BigEd781
post Aug 10 2009, 11:12 PM
Post #2

No method: 'stupid_title' found for 'nil:NilClass`
Group Icon

Type: Coder
Alignment: Chaotic Good

Just don't use a teleport to reset the map, simply scroll it on back. That is a hackish way to do it anyway, that is why it is causing problems.

--------------------
My blog - It's awesome, I assure you
While sloppy writing does not invariably mean sloppy thinking, we've generally found the correlation to be strong -- and we have no use for sloppy thinkers. If you can't yet write competently, learn to. - Eric Raymond

---
My awards for being so awesome
Spoiler:

+Quote Post

Puff
post Aug 10 2009, 11:16 PM
Post #3

Group Icon

But if I use like scroll down 40, and then scroll up 40, it will have 2 problems:

the first is that if they finished talking before it reach the bottom it will only scroll with no conversation until it get's there. I want like a slow background scrolling while talking.

The second is that I don't want it to scroll up again slowly I just want to get it back in an instant. :/

--------------------

Completed:

-

Currently working on:

-

+Quote Post

BigEd781
post Aug 10 2009, 11:19 PM
Post #4

Group Icon

You need to think outside of the box a bit more.

QUOTE (Puff @ Aug 10 2009, 04:16 PM) *
But if I use like scroll down 40, and then scroll up 40, it will have 2 problems:

the first is that if they finished talking before it reach the bottom it will only scroll with no conversation until it get's there. I want like a slow background scrolling while talking.

There is no reason that you cannot scroll and show text at the same time, you just need to order the commands properly and work out the timing through trial and error.

The second is that I don't want it to scroll up again slowly I just want to get it back in an instant. :/

Then fade the screen out, perform your scroll, fade back in. It is the same thing, but you are not resorting to using a teleport for something it is not intended to be used for.

--------------------
While sloppy writing does not invariably mean sloppy thinking, we've generally found the correlation to be strong -- and we have no use for sloppy thinkers. If you can't yet write competently, learn to. - Eric Raymond

---
Spoiler:

+Quote Post

Puff
post Aug 10 2009, 11:25 PM
Post #5

Group Icon

QUOTE (BigEd781 @ Aug 11 2009, 12:19 AM) *
Then fade the screen out, perform your scroll, fade back in. It is the same thing, but you are not resorting to using a teleport for something it is not intended to be used for.

That did really NOT work :/ Becouse I have a scroll down 40 to begin with, I can put a scroll up 40 at highest speed with a fadeout before it, and a fadein after it.
But all that did was at the middle of the conversation, at the point I want the map to go back, it first when black (fadout) but the scroll down was still in progress. So it was just black for a good while, then the scroll up and fadein went in. It worked, and it got the map back up, but I didn't work with the scroll down. Isn't there anyway to stop that one at a certain point?

--------------------

Completed:

-

Currently working on:

-

+Quote Post

BigEd781
post Aug 10 2009, 11:34 PM
Post #6

Group Icon

QUOTE (Puff @ Aug 10 2009, 04:25 PM) *
That did really NOT work :/ Becouse I have a scroll down 40 to begin with, I can put a scroll up 40 at highest speed with a fadeout before it, and a fadein after it.
But all that did was at the middle of the conversation, at the point I want the map to go back, it first when black (fadout) but the scroll down was still in progress. So it was just black for a good while, then the scroll up and fadein went in. It worked, and it got the map back up, but I didn't work with the scroll down. Isn't there anyway to stop that one at a certain point?

I think that you need to do a better job timing all of this. If the conversation is ending half way through the scroll, well, scroll half as far then! I think you were relying on the behavior of the scroll not completing. That is just a bad design and any change would have caused a problem.

--------------------

---
Spoiler:

+Quote Post

Puff
post Aug 10 2009, 11:42 PM
Post #7

Group Icon

QUOTE (BigEd781 @ Aug 10 2009, 11:34 PM) *
I think that you need to do a better job timing all of this. If the conversation is ending half way through the scroll, well, scroll half as far then! I think you were relying on the behavior of the scroll not completing. That is just a bad design and any change would have caused a problem.

I can't predict the timing becouse I have a normal conversation that can take a year if the player never press any button or take like 10 seconds is the player keeps pressing enter.

Now I even tried with switches and deleating the whole event, while the conversation keeps on going in an other event but the map still scrolls :/

I'm really clueless about what to do

--------------------

Completed:

-

Currently working on:

-

+Quote Post

BigEd781
post Aug 10 2009, 11:45 PM
Post #8

Group Icon

QUOTE (Puff @ Aug 10 2009, 04:42 PM) *
I can't predict the timing becouse I have a normal conversation that can take a year if the player never press any button or take like 10 seconds is the player keeps pressing enter.

And that is your problem. there is no reason that the player should control when the messagebox is advanced if you are in the middle of a cutscene and panning around the map. There is no way that you can pull that off correctly.

So, use the messagebox codes \| and \. to control the flow yourself.

--------------------

---
Spoiler:

+Quote Post

Puff
post Aug 10 2009, 11:49 PM
Post #9

Group Icon

QUOTE (BigEd781 @ Aug 10 2009, 11:45 PM) *
And that is your problem. there is no reason that the player should control when the messagebox is advanced if you are in the middle of a cutscene and panning around the map. There is no way that you can pull that off correctly.

So, use the messagebox codes \| and \. to control the flow yourself.

I really hoped it would be another solution but I guess not. I guess this is solved (not really) but I'll take my time to make the timing perfect. (god this already took me over an hour to make >__>)

Thanks anyways BigEd tongue.gif

--------------------

Completed:

-

Currently working on:

-

+Quote Post

BigEd781
post Aug 10 2009, 11:53 PM
Post #10

Group Icon

No problem. I really do believe that there is no good reason to allow the player to cycle through the text at any speed when the scene depends on the flow of it. I even think that the scene will turn out better because of it.

QUOTE (Puff @ Aug 10 2009, 04:49 PM) *
(god this already took me over an hour to make >__>)

Heh, let me know when you hit 10 wink.gif

--------------------

---
Spoiler:

+Quote Post

Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2014 - 10:37 AM

RPGMakerVX.net is an Privacy Policy, Legal.