iPhone App Directory
RPG Maker VX

Gallery Members Search Calendar Help

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Collapse

>Announcement

Keep an eye out for the upcoming 3rd Quarter Contest!
4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Closed TopicStart new topic
> Fairytale, Escape the nightmare, enter the dream! *CHAPTER ONE RELEASED!*
JoRu
post Aug 28 2009, 02:26 PM
Post #1

The 15-year old Swedish Meatball
Group Icon

Type: Designer
Alignment: Neutral Good

This project started out as an experiment to improve my mapping and try out my skills making fun and entertaining gameplay, and I almost instantly got hooked on my results and decided on making an actual game out of it. Fairytale is not a RPG, although there are parts of the game that might suggest that it is. It's more similar to Zelda, an adventure-game with puzzle elements.

Fairytale follows the story of a young woman named Violet as she attempts to escape from the grasp of her wicked granduncle. When her parents mysteriously disappeared one night when she was only a child her granduncle took over the custody of Violet and her three sisters. Her granduncle had been living in his small house (that he liked to call Fairytale) in his own, private woods his entire life and never had any real connection with the outside-world. This had made him very unaware of what you can and can't do, and immediately tried to take control over the young girls to his own winning.

They had to work for him all day without anything in return, and was senselessly beaten if done wrong in any way. One after one they had tried to escape, with devastating results, until only Violet remained of the four sisters. Even though she was aware of the past results she had to try. She would die from all the work and punishments anyway, at least she had a chance of survival.

Violet has already succeeded with one part of the escape. You've already escaped from your uncle's house, and now you're the one who's going to lead Violet further until she's finally free. Perhaps you'll even uncover the unsolved mysteries of your missing parents. Are they alive, or are they lost forever?

Violet (age 27):
Our young protagonist who has been striving for true happiness for her whole life. She hasn't experienced much true happiness in her life, but deep within she feels the joy from her early childhood and realizes that there's more to life than the work she has endured for so long. Violet is a very shy person, and never speaks unless she feels entirely safe. She must be absolutely sure that no one can harm her before she decides to express herself. She's also very vulnerable in new situations and often loses control completely. Her sisters are often there to calm her down, though.

"The Uncle" (unknown age):
A very old man who has lived in his small house in Fairytale Forest for his whole life. For every year away from society his mind has become more and more twisted, and that in turn lead to unwanted consequences that affected the few around him. He had only had access to information through a few, old books in his house, most of them were fairytales about witches for example. Uneducated as he is he started to think that his very own relatives also were witches which very soon ended in disaster for Violet and her three sisters.

The Three Sisters (Petal, age 30 | Daisy, age 28 | Clover, age 24):
Violet's three sisters (Petal, Daisy and Clover) have also been enduring the tyranny of their granduncle, even to the death. However, as Violet begins her escape they can communicate with her through her dreams and sometimes even appear as ghosts in the real world to aid her. They see Violet as a last resort to finally defeat their wicked granduncle and take him down before doing even more harm to other people.

Petal is a person who is fascinated by the wonders of nature and all it has to offer. For most people this fascination fades out with age but considering the small amount of time Petal gets to spend outside there's rarely nothing new to discover each time. She likes writing short books in the form of tales or fables, especially about her imaginary character Lady Tranquility and her magic garden that instead of requiring light to grow needs darkness. Though Petal died at the age of 30 she never quite grew up.

Daisy is a very protective person and truly cares about all her sisters, and especially Violet nowadays since she's the only one still alive. When Violet doubts her strength Daisy's the one who most of the time can be of help. Daisy is a nice person, at least to those who treats her the same way. She isn't afraid to question people with higher authority than herself, which has cost her a lot over the years.

Clover doesn't talk much, much like her sister Violet, but she can be of much help. She can help Violet find her way through a blizzard (oops, spoiler wink.gif) for example and a lot of other small but very helpful things.

* Chapter-based linear story with 4-5 chapters planned and perhaps some kind of epilogue in the end. Each chapter will be at least one hour long.
* Many puzzles and mini-games to make the experience as interesting as possible at all times.
* Uses Mr. Anonymous' fantastic RGSS2+ system (which means 640x480 resolution, different menu-system and more).

MORE SCREENSHOTS:
Spoiler:

DOWNLOAD (35,6 MB, NO RTP Included)
Includes Chapter One, v. 1.01
-------------------------------------------------

Full credits is in the game. Thanks for your attention! smile.gif

If you'd like to support Fairytale, copy this code into your signature:

CODE
[url="http://www.rpgmakervx.net/index.php?showtopic=19335"][img]http://pici.se/pictures/DDjOxvNgD.png[/img][/url]

This post has been edited by JoRu: Apr 5 2010, 04:52 PM

--------------------

Spoiler:

QUOTE (JoRu)
Life is a game!

Stay tuned for more information about Fairytale. To stay updated on all my project videos, visit my YouTube page!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

jaydee15
post Aug 30 2009, 05:44 PM
Post #2

Something coherent... Also Muscle Milk
Group Icon

Type: Writer
Alignment: Lawful Good

@JoRu:
Very nice! I liked the Intro video. Simple but very appealing! XD

--------------------
"Kinda bored, but still working on my project."
==========
I support:

==========
If you are a believer of Jesus Christ, and are 100% proud of it, put this in your sig.

+Quote Post

JoRu
post Aug 30 2009, 06:26 PM
Post #3

Group Icon

Thank you very much! Glad you liked it! smile.gif

I'll have two more features added soon to the topic that I think you'll enjoy. I just have to make sure I can make them before promising something I can't keep. happy.gif

--------------------

Spoiler:

QUOTE (JoRu)
Life is a game!

Stay tuned for more information about Fairytale. To stay updated on all my project videos, visit my YouTube page!

+Quote Post

JoRu
post Sep 1 2009, 03:33 PM
Post #4

Group Icon

Updated with one more feature added to the already existing list. This one is called Alchemy and lets you mix flower nectar you find across the world into new items. Let me explain it in more detail:

There are four different kinds of flower nectar spread across the game's world. They're called Sky Nectar, Sweet Nectar, Sun Nectar and Plain Nectar. There are two major differences to these nectars. The first is that they all are to be found on different locations. If you're outside you should be able to find Sky Nectar, Sweet Nectar or Sun Nectar. Plain Nectar can only be found inside where it's dark. Sweet Nectar are often found where there's lots of vegetation, for example next to a tree or in a garden. If the sun is shining you should without major trouble find a Sun Nectar somewhere, and Sky Nectar is easy to find on heights.

Another difference is that they are used to make different items. As for now, you can only make two kinds of items with Alchemy: potions and valuables (rings, gold bars and such). Sky and Sweet Nectars are great for making potions. A Health Potion requires two Sky Nectars and one Sweet Nectar. Sun and Plain Nectars are great for making valuables on the other hand. A Robust Gold Bar requires three Sun Nectars and one Plain Nectar.

The system itself is completely evented and is executed using an Alchemy Kit you'll find in your items menu. A simple, but effective system that gets the work done. Fairly simple to add new items to it as well. That's all for now, folks! wink.gif

--------------------

Spoiler:

QUOTE (JoRu)
Life is a game!

+Quote Post

Tamar
post Sep 4 2009, 07:24 AM
Post #5

Oh, the horror.
Group Icon

Alignment: Unaligned

Oh, this looks like it might be a good one... so long as you can keep the dark backstory from veering into melodrama, it looks like it's got potential. Imma keep an eye on this smile.gif

+Quote Post

JoRu
post Sep 5 2009, 12:43 PM
Post #6

Group Icon

Updated with a new video! It doesn't give any more information about the game as it's meant as an entry to a Mapping Contest on YouTube. Still, it's footage that will be used in the game so if you want to see some more of the mapping-style of the game this video works great!

I also fixed the link to the "Test of Navigation" video. It's my favorite from all the videos I've uploaded so if you haven't watched it before, feel free to watch it now! It shows both the atmosphere of certain areas of the game and an example of how a puzzle in the game may be laid out.

--------------------

Spoiler:

QUOTE (JoRu)
Life is a game!

+Quote Post

White Shadow
post Sep 7 2009, 10:29 AM
Post #7

The Alien Robot
Group Icon

I just don't get it.

How do you make your maps so detailed? It's fantastic! I've tried like crazy to find resources such as
this and you've got me going rather insane about it! smile.gif

--------------------

Teh White Shadow graduated from Armvex School of Events! Huzzah!

This user bar is officially click-able now!

Dare you enter the White Shadow's Mind?

=Enter if you dare=

+Quote Post

JoRu
post Sep 7 2009, 01:10 PM
Post #8

Group Icon

@White Shadow: Thank you, I'm glad you enjoy my maps! smile.gif I simply work hard on them to make them look as good as possible. This also means that I make fewer maps since each map takes more time, but by making every map important and interesting enough for the player to stay there and do stuff and not just rush through them creates a good balance. happy.gif

--------------------

Spoiler:

QUOTE (JoRu)
Life is a game!

+Quote Post

Legion6115
post Sep 7 2009, 07:32 PM
Post #9

Crimson Warrior
Group Icon

Alignment: Chaotic Good

I like your maps, there's something tangible about them that I can't quite put my finger on. I do like the concept as well, it being a darker-themed RPG and one of your inspirations being LOTR, one of my favorite series of books. Can't wait to try out the demo, when one is released. Hopefully it is as polished as your presentation. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

JoRu
post Sep 9 2009, 07:51 PM
Post #10

Group Icon

Updated today with some music examples that will be used in the game. All the music-examples here was composed by Kevin MacLeod. The music is completely royalty-free so there's no copyrighted material involved here. Since it's even allowed to burn a CD of his work and redistribute it for money (as long as he gets credit) I think this should be fine. smile.gif

--------------------

Spoiler:

QUOTE (JoRu)
Life is a game!

+Quote Post

JoRu
post Sep 12 2009, 12:33 PM
Post #11

Group Icon

I've seen alot of views but very few replies which makes me sad. sad.gif Still, alot of views still means that people has at least checked out the page! So I've got some new updates to the page that might be of interest!

- Two new screenshots!

- One feature removed, but at the same time one more added. It's all about the battle-system, which will not be GubiD's TBS but instead an evented one. It's not that I don't like it, but I had a bit of trouble implementing the battle-system with my higher resolution so I've gone with an evented battle-system that will be much more difficult to make for me, but much more original for you players. To start off, I have a new evented secondary currency, apart from the regular money. It's used to buy battle upgrades and such things from my evented battle shop from the menu. You can convert regular money into the new currency, or gain it by finding it in the game world, exploring or doing other things away from the main story.

- I might have some sort of gameplay demo up soon. It's not a full-fledged demo, simply a short 5 minute puzzle to get some response on. I'm not sure whether I'll do that, or simply continue waiting with a demo until I've got Chapter One completed but we'll see.

--------------------

Spoiler:

QUOTE (JoRu)
Life is a game!

+Quote Post

Sen?
post Sep 14 2009, 12:22 AM
Post #12

Group Icon

Alignment: Lawful Good

You're very skilled at mapping, It kinda makes you feel you're already part of the world. I'm hoping for the demo to be out soon, I would really love to try this. smile.gif

--------------------

-UNDER CONSTRUCTION-

Supporting:

+Quote Post

NeoMarmar
post Sep 15 2009, 12:14 PM
Post #13

Custom title loading... Please wait.
Group Icon

Alignment: Unaligned

This new game looks pretty awesome. I really love the look and feel you're trying to show us players and I really can't wait until your demo is up happy.gif
I will be more than happy to write a review.
In the mean time, can you post a list of custom scripts implemented made by others? I can't recognize loads of scripts used in those videos such as the random falling leaves effect, rain droplets on the ground, sparkling 'options', and map-like titlescreen.

--------------------

+Quote Post

JoRu
post Sep 15 2009, 01:29 PM
Post #14

Group Icon

QUOTE (NeoMarmar @ Sep 15 2009, 02:14 PM) *
This new game looks pretty awesome. I really love the look and feel you're trying to show us players and I really can't wait until your demo is up happy.gif
I will be more than happy to write a review.
In the mean time, can you post a list of custom scripts implemented made by others? I can't recognize loads of scripts used in those videos such as the random falling leaves effect, rain droplets on the ground, sparkling 'options', and map-like titlescreen.

Thanks! Sure thing, I'll throw up a list of scripts incl. credits for them. I don't really have the time to provide links for everything, but most of it can be found here on the site. Here's the list:

RGSS2+ by Mr. Anonymous
Overhead Ceilings by OriginalWij
Variable Controlled Dashing by Yanfly
Fullscreen? by game_guy (RGSS2-version of Blizzard's original)
Map Story Title by Vixotic
Chest Item Pop-Up by OriginalWij
Ultimate Shadow Remover by rmvx.gameclover.com
Thomas Edison VX (a.k.a. Light Effects) by BulletXt & Kylock
Neo Message System 3 by Woratana
Simple Footstep by Miget man12, Modern Algebra, Yanfly & DerVVulfman
Sparkle Selectable by rmvx.gameclover.com
PlayerPlus by SojaBird
Limited Vision by reijubv
Omega Ultimate Quest by Omegas7
Spriteset_Weather (rewrite of the original) by ccoa

That weather-script has been removed by author ccoa everywhere as far as I know so I'm not really comfortable with providing some sort of link to it. There must have been some reason for the removal so I won't do that.

--------------------

Spoiler:

QUOTE (JoRu)
Life is a game!

+Quote Post

JoRu
post Oct 1 2009, 04:07 PM
Post #15

Group Icon

UPDATE:

New Feature: Yes, that's right, I've got another feature up my sleeve that could lengthen the game quite a bit actually. This one is called Challenge Mode and this is how it works: After each chapter of the game you'll gain access to a new challenge. These challenges are based on one of the puzzles you have encountered in that particular chapter (they'll be chosen depending on how good I think they are and how well they would fit). The Challenge Mode is always available through the menu-screen. The challenge here is not only actually completing the puzzle but also doing it fast enough. Depending on how much time that's left once you hit the finish line you'll get medals, ranging from bronze to gold. These medals actually earns you some money for you to use in the main game.

October Break: During October 1st - October 25th there is a contest here in the community that's about making a horror game. I'll be making my very own horror game in that timeframe and I'd like to fully focus on that. That means that I won't work anything on Fairytale, except for some small stuff perhaps (maybe I'll work a little on my Evented Battle System and update the game on the script front). That could possibly mean that my demo won't be out until 2010 since I definately don't want to rush anything. We'll see how fast I'll work in November and December and then I might be able to be a little more clear on the subject.

Thanks! smile.gif

--------------------

Spoiler:

QUOTE (JoRu)
Life is a game!

+Quote Post

Cass
post Oct 6 2009, 04:00 AM
Post #16

*Insert something slightly wise and satirical*
Group Icon

Alignment: True Neutral

I must say, this is quite a good catch, in my opinion. It sounds a little spooky, a little mystical, and etc. tongue.gif

This "Uncle" character sounds like your typical phychotic villain who has been sealed in a land for a long time.
I am hoping you will spice up his character then, yes?

Also, I feel it to be sort of odd for The Main Character's sisters to be recolours of each other. At least give each a new dress code, and maybe different hair..

--------------------

*Mwah*

+Quote Post

JoRu
post Oct 8 2009, 12:45 PM
Post #17

Group Icon

QUOTE (Cass @ Oct 6 2009, 06:00 AM) *
I must say, this is quite a good catch, in my opinion. It sounds a little spooky, a little mystical, and etc. tongue.gif

This "Uncle" character sounds like your typical phychotic villain who has been sealed in a land for a long time.
I am hoping you will spice up his character then, yes?

Also, I feel it to be sort of odd for The Main Character's sisters to be recolours of each other. At least give each a new dress code, and maybe different hair..

Thanks! smile.gif

In the beginning the Uncle will seem just like your typical psychotic guy but as the story progresses you'll get glimpses of more details about this man. I haven't decided completely how his story works out yet but I'll try to set this story apart and make this villain original of his kind.

I'll see how I'll do with the sisters. I'm awful at spriting, but I'd very much like to be able to make more differences to the sisters' appearances so perhaps that's something I'll try to do later on. smile.gif

--------------------

Spoiler:

QUOTE (JoRu)
Life is a game!

+Quote Post

Cass
post Oct 9 2009, 03:58 AM
Post #18

Group Icon

QUOTE (JoRu @ Oct 8 2009, 01:45 PM) *
Thanks! smile.gif

In the beginning the Uncle will seem just like your typical psychotic guy but as the story progresses you'll get glimpses of more details about this man. I haven't decided completely how his story works out yet but I'll try to set this story apart and make this villain original of his kind.

I'll see how I'll do with the sisters. I'm awful at spriting, but I'd very much like to be able to make more differences to the sisters' appearances so perhaps that's something I'll try to do later on. smile.gif

You are very muchliness of welcome~! =)

Ah, I see. I can't wait to see this progression, stuff like that often rises a bit of suspense, where you just can't wait to see what is about to happen.

Alright then. I too am quite awful at spriting, I don't see how people do it. D: BUT, I do know a thing called Frankenspriting can also be good.
Just see what happens. biggrin.gif

(Aha, I noticed all the sister's names are revolved around flowers...Also, is "The Uncle" the real uncle of the four sisters?)

--------------------

*Mwah*

+Quote Post

JoRu
post Oct 9 2009, 12:30 PM
Post #19

Group Icon

QUOTE (Cass @ Oct 9 2009, 05:58 AM) *
(Aha, I noticed all the sister's names are revolved around flowers...Also, is "The Uncle" the real uncle of the four sisters?)[/color]

That's right, you're the first one to notice! smile.gif "The Uncle" is the real uncle so that isn't a metaphor for something else in this case.

--------------------

Spoiler:

QUOTE (JoRu)
Life is a game!

+Quote Post

Cass
post Oct 10 2009, 01:28 PM
Post #20

Group Icon

QUOTE (JoRu @ Oct 9 2009, 01:30 PM) *
That's right, you're the first one to notice! smile.gif "The Uncle" is the real uncle so that isn't a metaphor for something else in this case.

I first realised "Petal", and then looked at all of them. I think that is really cool. =D But...Is there a reason they were called those names?

Oh..Heh, I thought the Uncle was like, you know....Well, actually, I can't explain it. But basically, I thought he would have given himself that title,
like being "The Uncle Of The Forest", or something. ;P (Also, do you meet each sister in each chapter?)

--------------------

*Mwah*

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th July 2014 - 10:30 AM

RPGMakerVX.net is an Privacy Policy, Legal.