iPhone App Directory
RPG Maker VX

Gallery Members Search Calendar Help

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Collapse

>Announcement

Keep an eye out for the upcoming 3rd Quarter Contest!
12 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Gender Preference
I'm a Male and I prefer Male Leads.
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total Votes: 525
Guests cannot vote 
Kyuu694
post Sep 30 2009, 05:40 PM
Post #1

i like LIGHTS.
Group Icon

Type: Undisclosed
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral

What is your gender and what is your gender preference for a Main Character?
Tell us your gender and discuss why do you prefer Male/Female lead laugh.gif

This post has been edited by Kyuu694: Sep 30 2009, 06:25 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Guest_Fandaxu_*
post Sep 30 2009, 05:56 PM
Post #2

Guests

I like main characters that are well thought out, developed, and are good for players to "get". Gender is the last thing on my mind.

+Quote Post

Moururi
post Sep 30 2009, 06:09 PM
Post #3

Ocean Stars Falling...
Group Icon

Type: Designer
Alignment: Neutral Good

Gonna agree with Fandaxu.

I fit somewhere in the middle of both genders, though i'm slighty biased towards a female character, i don't really care. As long as they're well written.

+Quote Post

Celianna
post Sep 30 2009, 06:20 PM
Post #4

Group Icon

Type: Artist
Alignment: Chaotic Evil

You didn't add the 'I don't care' option.

I'm female, but would play any gender, unless it's one of those 'choose your gender!' like Harvest Moon or Pokemon game.

+Quote Post

BigEd781
post Sep 30 2009, 06:20 PM
Post #5

No method: 'stupid_title' found for 'nil:NilClass`
Group Icon

Type: Coder
Alignment: Chaotic Good

Sorry ladies, but I can't stand female leads. That is one of the first things that I noticed about FFXIII, and I don't like it.

That said, Terra in FFIII was a good character, but the structure of that game was a bit different.

--------------------
My blog - It's awesome, I assure you
While sloppy writing does not invariably mean sloppy thinking, we've generally found the correlation to be strong -- and we have no use for sloppy thinkers. If you can't yet write competently, learn to. - Eric Raymond

---
My awards for being so awesome
Spoiler:

+Quote Post

Kyuu694
post Sep 30 2009, 06:24 PM
Post #6

i like LIGHTS.
Group Icon

QUOTE (Celianna @ Sep 30 2009, 06:20 PM) *
You didn't add the 'I don't care' option.

I'm female, but would play any gender, unless it's one of those 'choose your gender!' like Harvest Moon or Pokemon game.

Ahh, alrighty then XD I'll add that option.

+Quote Post

Malexos
post Sep 30 2009, 06:46 PM
Post #7

[Insert Kiriban Title Here]
Group Icon

Type: Writer
Alignment: Unaligned

I'm a guy...
Technically, I don't care what gender a main character is, as long as they're a well-made character.

ALTHOUGH-- if it's a choose your gender game, I'll most likely play as a male.

Also, female leads usually suck in commercial games for some reason...they're either mindless sex objects or....okay, so they're almost always mindless sex objects XP, and when they're not brainless whores, they're sure to be poorly thought out/overdramatic....wow, FFX-2 falls into all three of those categories!

Terra is one of the only good female leads I can think of at the moment...

OH! And Amaterasu in Okami, but she's a wolf-goddess thing, and a silent protagonist... so that doesn't really count XD

This post has been edited by Malexos: Sep 30 2009, 06:47 PM

--------------------
Support Mr. Peebles!

Or better yet; Visit my blog!

Other stuff:
Spoiler:
Awards:
Spoiler:

My User-Card (Thanks to Holder from RRR)
Spoiler:

The Longest Necropost In the World:
Spoiler:
QUOTE (Liana @ Dec 29 2007, 07:55 PM) *
QUOTE (lumine99 @ Feb 17 2010, 01:58 AM) *

where did you download it??? i've found a link but it always dc during downloading
QUOTE (PINEDAVX) *

Oh. My. God.

+Quote Post

BigEd781
post Sep 30 2009, 06:48 PM
Post #8

Group Icon

QUOTE (Malexos @ Sep 30 2009, 11:46 AM) *
okay, so they're almost always mindless sex objects XP, and when they're not brainless whores, they're sure to be poorly thought out/overdramatic....

Wait, are you saying that there are real life women who are not whorish, emotional basket-cases?!?!?!

JUST KIDDING smile.gif

--------------------
While sloppy writing does not invariably mean sloppy thinking, we've generally found the correlation to be strong -- and we have no use for sloppy thinkers. If you can't yet write competently, learn to. - Eric Raymond

---
Spoiler:

+Quote Post

Retired-Pine
post Sep 30 2009, 07:35 PM
Post #9

Not a democracy
Group Icon

Type: Spriter
Alignment: Lawful Evil

I'm a male and I DO prefer female leads (provided they are as less psycho as possible tongue.gif ) KoTOR's Bastilla is a great female lead (considering that the PC doesn't say a single word as is mute lead) Elly (Elhaym Van Houtten) is a great lead for Xenogears (you can't put her in any level that's not the same as Fei's, considering the game is about THE TWO of them) and when I play Pokemon I play as female and that's not for any funny business.

I dunno, I like female leads. I guess there's more room to make them an emotions wreckage than with guys wink.gif

--------------------

Spoiler:

Awards
Spoiler:

Games I support [under construction]
Spoiler:

+Quote Post

Soruve
post Sep 30 2009, 07:39 PM
Post #10

Inactive, but still here.
Group Icon

Alignment: True Neutral

I don't care what sex the lead character is as long as they're well developed. However, I kind of have to agree with BigEd and Malexos as well. It seems that a lot of RPG game developers don't know how to write a good female character even if their life depended on it. :/ At least there are some good female leads here and there- like Terra and Lenneth

Yeah, Amaterasu doesn't count as she is deliberately written to be genderless in the game.

--------------------

(Added "new" content as of Jan. 1st 2012)

2008-10 ReStaff Archive
Two Years of hard work providing resources for the community from our ReStaff team. <3
All compiled together in one place.

2011 Restaff Compilation
Another year of hard work from the Restaff team!

+Quote Post

Astel
post Sep 30 2009, 07:49 PM
Post #11

Elitists of the world, beware.
Group Icon

I'm sorry to say that i don't like female main characters. For me, main characters are all about identification with the player, and i have a hard time trying to identify myself with a female character.
Maybe the best option is to give the player the chance to choose the gender of the character, but that works better with open-ended games.

--------------------
Under Construction

+Quote Post

Sen?
post Sep 30 2009, 08:59 PM
Post #12

Group Icon

Alignment: Lawful Good

I don't really mind the gender of the main character, though I really have to consider who are my audience and why do they want to walk in his/her (main character) shoes.

--------------------

-UNDER CONSTRUCTION-

Supporting:

+Quote Post

BigEd781
post Sep 30 2009, 09:00 PM
Post #13

Group Icon

Astel pretty much summed it up for me. When I play a role-playing game, I always name the main character Ed (make fun of me and you are banned). I just cannot identify with a female character.

--------------------

---
Spoiler:

+Quote Post

Celianna
post Sep 30 2009, 09:08 PM
Post #14

Group Icon

Alignment: Chaotic Evil

I'm proud to say that I'm a girl and have no trouble identifying with male characters. Some of my favourite main characters are male.

I also like to name my characters (it's it's possible) to 'God', hilarity ensues when some NPC is like "... it's .. GOD!! O___O")

+Quote Post

Sen?
post Sep 30 2009, 09:21 PM
Post #15

Group Icon

Alignment: Lawful Good

I'm pretty much like Celianna though quite the opposite. (Not the naming though xD)

I quite agree though that most female leads become poorly-thought out, lots of skimpy revealing clothing out there to compliment that supposedly sexy-figure which I dislike in characterization, they're just becoming shallow archetypes. (That's why I'm having an fat ogre as a leading lady, no joke)

This post has been edited by S-EN.a: Sep 30 2009, 09:21 PM

--------------------

-UNDER CONSTRUCTION-

Supporting:

+Quote Post

Getdizzy
post Sep 30 2009, 09:22 PM
Post #16

Group Icon

In a game with a set main character, I really don't care whether it is male or female. As long as it fits the story.

Oddly enough though, when playing a game in which I get to pick, I almost always pick female.

+Quote Post

Bleud
post Sep 30 2009, 09:24 PM
Post #17

Group Icon

Hmm...as a male, I could care less what gender the main character is. I do have preferences though...

For males: It's has to be a hero who isn't slightly retarded and goes around asking questions like he was born yesterday. And hopefully one that doesn't resemble a chick. Those really annoy me.

For females: Big tits and a fat ass: these would be things to avoid. Most likely she's a sex object for teenage boys and lonely old men. They try to counter it by making her super smart or something, but it usually backfires. If the main character has something covering her chest and is not reading a book upside down, it's a step in the right direction for me.

--------------------

Spoiler:

Characters: 91% Done
Storyline: 62% Done
Database: 81% Done
Maps: 60% Done

Intergrating features: Update!!!
    Systems
  • Expansive Bank System: Done
  • Gun System: Done
    Mini Games
  • Gambling Mini-game: Done
  • Rabbit and Tortoise Mini game: 54%
  • Apple Collecting Game: Done

New!!Main Characters
KaneLaurieTaurusIsis

More to come soon Demo coming soon! (an early May a some time soon deadline Whenever the hell I damn well finish!!1!) POSTPONED :(

---

+Quote Post

Astel
post Sep 30 2009, 09:55 PM
Post #18

Elitists of the world, beware.
Group Icon

About female characters in general, i have nothing against strong women like Ripley from Aliens... however i'll stay away from anything resembling Lara Croft or the Charlie's Angels.

--------------------
Under Construction

+Quote Post

Xalidir
post Sep 30 2009, 11:14 PM
Post #19

Group Icon

i'm a male, but i don't give a crap about who is the main character, as long as the character is developed beyond an archetype. in the Great Kingdoms, i have a female as the main character, but if i could make her have a 3d look, she'd be covered almost head to toe in armor (as she does in Soulcalibur III, but that's different)

i agree with both Ed and Astel on the whole stereotype for the female. i can't stand seeing a skanty cladded chick going up against the evils of the world. my girls are like Joan of Arc (fully armored), unless it's part of the character.

i have no objections to playing a female character, but i will avoid games where the girl is skimpy outfitted. to date, i regret ever getting Final Fantasy X-2. i can't see Yuna, who was a priestess and summoner, going Lara Croft like she did. 10-2 was obviously an attempt to get the raging hormoned teens to play it.

as i stated, i'd rather have a girl covered from head to toe if she's going up against an armada. i cannot, and will not, see ANY of my own females wearing nothing less than the provisions they need (one reason i hated some of the outfits in World of Warcraft).

all in all, it just boils down to preferences. if i ever make a pick your gender game, or played one for that matter, unless i'm making my main character (which will always be named Justice), i'd end up making either Cadyna or Justine, depending on what class i have available. i'm very fickle about that, as i've developed my characters beyond the archetypes of their respected classes. hell, in Champions of Norrath, i made a female High Elf cleric cause clerics in that game were paladins, to an extent.

for me, i need to have a comfort level with the character. and depending on what i see with the character, i either stop playing or restart with a new name. i'm incredibly fickle with that

that's the end of my small rant, i voted, and my preferences is don't care really, as long as the character is developed beyond the archetypes.

--------------------
| |

My Request: Great Kingdoms RTP Portraits Request Form
IMPORTANT TO READ!!!
Board Rules

Want to Sprite?
An Introduction to Frankenspriting and Editing

Spoiler:
QUOTE (PINEDAVX @ Dec 20 2010, 08:22 PM)
If tomorrow we want to ban all idiots we have, we'll do it and no one has any right to appeal. Guess what? You don't have rights here, only privileges. Privileges we can and will take away from you as we see fit.

Pretty much, being here is a priviledge, and it CAN be revoked.

Supports:

---
Jet's Handed Weapon Snippet (Requested by me, ask Jet for permission)
Spoiler:
CODE
#===============================================================================
# Handed Weapons
# By Jet10985 (Jet)
# Requested by: Xalidir
#===============================================================================
# This snippet allows you to specify if a weapon is main or off-handed.
# Main handed can only be equiped in the first weapon slot.
# Off handed can only be equipped in the second weapon slot.
# This script has: 0 customization options.
# Overwritten Methods:
# None
#-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
# Aliased methods:
# Scene_Equip: update_item_selection
=begin
To make an item Main-Handed, put this in the notebox:

<main hand>

To make an item off-handed, put this in the notebox:

<off hand>
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: Off-handed weapons cannot be equipped at all if the actor can't dual-wield
=end

class RPG::BaseItem

def hand
    if @hand.nil?
      i = 0
      for note in [/<main hand>/i, /<off hand>/i]
        @hand = self.note[note].nil? ? nil : i
        break if @hand != nil
        i += 1
      end
      @hand = 2 if @hand.nil?
    end
    return @hand
  end
end

class Scene_Equip

alias jet9842_update_item_selection update_item_selection unless $@
  def update_item_selection
    if Input.trigger?(Input::C)
      item = @item_window.item
      equip_type = @equip_window.index
      if equip_type == 0 and !item.nil?
        Sound.play_buzzer if item.hand == 1
        return if item.hand == 1
      elsif equip_type == 1 and !item.nil?
        Sound.play_buzzer if item.hand == 0
        return if item.hand == 0
      end
    end
    jet9842_update_item_selection
  end
end

How to Fix Actor Related Variables the Lazy Way
Spoiler:
In the Game_Interpreter script, there's a line that is messed up.
CODE
Line: 750      actor = $game_actors[@parameters[1]]
Line: 751      actor = $game_actors[@params[4]]

To fix this, change Line: 750 from above to the one below
CODE
when 4 # Actor

This will fix any Actor Related Variables for you. I recommend grabbing the Variables Fix from the site.

+Quote Post

Svoltzilla
post Sep 30 2009, 11:35 PM
Post #20

But soon enough you will care by the time I'm done.
Group Icon

Type: Musician
Alignment: True Neutral

I couldn't say I have a preference. Although, I can't think of a game with a female lead off the top of my head that I would place as one of my favorites. It seems like generally female leads, especially in non-RPG's, are really badly done. But it isn't an immediate turn-off for me.

If it's a choose your gender type game, then I generally choose male, but if playing as a female affects the story in some way I'll usually go back and play again as a female. I enjoyed Mass Effect a lot more when I played as a girl actually.

I'm male by the way.

Edit: It's kind of interesting that all the females so far don't care either way.

--------------------
Click here to find some great resources and VX help. Click here to listen to my music.

Other great games:
Gettin' Dizzy! by MrAnonymous
Ravenwood Horror by Min Chan

+Quote Post

12 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th July 2014 - 10:24 PM

RPGMakerVX.net is an Privacy Policy, Legal.