iPhone App Directory
RPG Maker VX

Gallery Members Search Calendar Help

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Collapse

>Announcement

The 2nd Quarter Contest has arrived! Go check it out in the Community Announcements now!
12 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Gender Preference
I'm a Male and I prefer Male Leads.
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total Votes: 521
Guests cannot vote 
BigEd781
post Sep 30 2009, 11:38 PM
Post #21

No method: 'stupid_title' found for 'nil:NilClass`
Group Icon

Type: Coder
Alignment: Chaotic Good

QUOTE (Svoltzilla @ Sep 30 2009, 04:35 PM) *
Edit: It's kind of interesting that all the females so far don't care either way.

That's just because women are indecisive. I'm on a roll, woooh!

--------------------
My blog - It's awesome, I assure you
While sloppy writing does not invariably mean sloppy thinking, we've generally found the correlation to be strong -- and we have no use for sloppy thinkers. If you can't yet write competently, learn to. - Eric Raymond

---
My awards for being so awesome
Spoiler:
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Retired-Pine
post Oct 1 2009, 12:17 AM
Post #22

Not a democracy
Group Icon

Type: Spriter
Alignment: Lawful Evil

Ok... I can identify myself with a female, I hope that doesn't make me weird....

Also: Ed Strife laugh.gif

--------------------

Spoiler:

Awards
Spoiler:

Games I support [under construction]
Spoiler:

+Quote Post

april.burials
post Oct 1 2009, 12:23 AM
Post #23

Indecisive
Group Icon

I don't see why it matters if it's just a big muscular guy with a buzzed head, and a nickname for game, or a girl with giant jugs, long hair and a microscopic skirt. They're both a thinly veiled attempt at shoddy marketing. Gender shouldn't matter in this case.

I personally prefer to play as a girl, not just because I am one, but because it's different.

+Quote Post

Xalidir
post Oct 1 2009, 12:25 AM
Post #24

Group Icon

Type: Undisclosed
Alignment: Unaligned

nah, some people identify with the other gender, not unheard of. for me, though, it's just how the character is designed, developed, and presented. one reason why i'm never playing 10-2 again, both Yuna and Rikku where shown off as sex objects, and Yuna reminded me WAY too much of Lara Croft (i've played those games, i own Legends, not bad). but using 10-2 isn't exactly fair either, but meh, whatever, don't care really.

i can relate to either a male or female character, and like i mentioned above and in my previous post, they need to be designed, developed, and presented in a way that i won't just simply close or turn off the game (character development is CRITICAL for me, so if the character isn't good, i'll be unable to follow).

--------------------
| |

My Request: Great Kingdoms RTP Portraits Request Form
IMPORTANT TO READ!!!
Board Rules

Want to Sprite?
An Introduction to Frankenspriting and Editing

Spoiler:
QUOTE (PINEDAVX @ Dec 20 2010, 08:22 PM)
If tomorrow we want to ban all idiots we have, we'll do it and no one has any right to appeal. Guess what? You don't have rights here, only privileges. Privileges we can and will take away from you as we see fit.

Pretty much, being here is a priviledge, and it CAN be revoked.

Supports:

---
Jet's Handed Weapon Snippet (Requested by me, ask Jet for permission)
Spoiler:
CODE
#===============================================================================
# Handed Weapons
# By Jet10985 (Jet)
# Requested by: Xalidir
#===============================================================================
# This snippet allows you to specify if a weapon is main or off-handed.
# Main handed can only be equiped in the first weapon slot.
# Off handed can only be equipped in the second weapon slot.
# This script has: 0 customization options.
# Overwritten Methods:
# None
#-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
# Aliased methods:
# Scene_Equip: update_item_selection
=begin
To make an item Main-Handed, put this in the notebox:

<main hand>

To make an item off-handed, put this in the notebox:

<off hand>
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: Off-handed weapons cannot be equipped at all if the actor can't dual-wield
=end

class RPG::BaseItem

def hand
    if @hand.nil?
      i = 0
      for note in [/<main hand>/i, /<off hand>/i]
        @hand = self.note[note].nil? ? nil : i
        break if @hand != nil
        i += 1
      end
      @hand = 2 if @hand.nil?
    end
    return @hand
  end
end

class Scene_Equip

alias jet9842_update_item_selection update_item_selection unless $@
  def update_item_selection
    if Input.trigger?(Input::C)
      item = @item_window.item
      equip_type = @equip_window.index
      if equip_type == 0 and !item.nil?
        Sound.play_buzzer if item.hand == 1
        return if item.hand == 1
      elsif equip_type == 1 and !item.nil?
        Sound.play_buzzer if item.hand == 0
        return if item.hand == 0
      end
    end
    jet9842_update_item_selection
  end
end

How to Fix Actor Related Variables the Lazy Way
Spoiler:
In the Game_Interpreter script, there's a line that is messed up.
CODE
Line: 750      actor = $game_actors[@parameters[1]]
Line: 751      actor = $game_actors[@params[4]]

To fix this, change Line: 750 from above to the one below
CODE
when 4 # Actor

This will fix any Actor Related Variables for you. I recommend grabbing the Variables Fix from the site.

+Quote Post

MrWaltz
post Oct 1 2009, 12:29 AM
Post #25

Group Icon

Type: Writer
Alignment: Neutral Good

Male and I don't care, I just want a legit lead, not a typical hero or someone who isn't confident in pretty much anything he/she does. However, female leads get my attention because...well...you know......there aren't a lot of female leads out there.

--------------------
Do most of our members just go to the Completed Scripts Section?

+Quote Post

Getdizzy
post Oct 1 2009, 01:34 AM
Post #26

Group Icon

I really don't think FFX-2 was meant to appeal to guys... it was meant to appeal to girls. Now, whether it did that well or not, I don't think its intent was to sell itself as "eye candy for guys". If it was, it would not have been j-pop upbeat camp, something that... really doesn't sit well with most guys. Lets be honest, most people aren't upset at the game for featuring 3 hot, sexy females... they are upset at it for being "girly".

Actually, my wife bought X-2... not me... and... if you actually play it, its a good game...

(Also, the change in Yuna's character makes PERFECT sense if you think about it right. She spent almost all of her life up to FFX knowing and preparing for the fact that she was going to die. She never really tried to live her life, all that mattered was her purpose. After that went away... she was left with no real idea of who she was, she had built herself around her position as a summoner. Finally, for once in her life the only person she had to live for was herself. She went back to a kind of teenage mindset because... she missed all of that. Its not exactly a stretch at all.)

(The change in Rikku's character though... is really the one problem I have with that game.)

+Quote Post

Savage Sword
post Oct 1 2009, 02:32 AM
Post #27

Branded and Exiled
Group Icon

If a game allows me to choose gender, I usually pick male first time around and then female second just to see the difference. A good game like Fallout made gender a nifty option as many dialogue options were gender specific. I recall in Fallout 2 trying to kill the slaver guild with a male - it was a long, arduous fight, but with a female I got an addition option of sleeping with the slaver (whom I rightly killed while he slept!)

As far as the X-2 comments, I agree with Carny, but eye candy can go so far. I played about three hours, just seeing how skimpy these costume were gonna get before dropping the controller and forever leaving Final Fantasy. Thank you, Enix! Yes, X-2 was THE last FF game I played and I've yet to return. I watch my friend play some of the last one and I liked the free motion gameplay, but the redundant story and "saving the world" cliques were wearing this gamer down. The teasers for XIII were impressive (graphically) and that was it... I wasn't hyped up by the story, nor the characters... I think I got more hyped by Fallout's 40sec. trailer last year than I did here. I remember back when FF use to be like a movie premiere, we all went nuts, but now so many FF titles exist that it has worn out the crystal magic of it all...

--------------------

Current Project: WRAITH (an RPG based on the works of Alex E. Kane)

PROGRESS:
Artwork: 5%
Music: 0%
Scripts: 50%
Maps: 5%
Story: 80%

+Quote Post

mawk
post Oct 1 2009, 02:50 AM
Post #28

this pi-squarian water vapour originator
Group Icon

for me it's never a thing of Relating to a character. I don't need to impose my Thoughts and Ideas on the main character of a thing. the main character is just the pivotal character of the game's story, and his or her character should be determined by the needs of whichever story is going on. if a male lead would suit your plans best, go with that. if a female lead would be better, go with that instead. gender is just as inconsequential to me as hair colour is. things pivot on how well the main character lends itself to the atmosphere and characterization.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Savage Sword
post Oct 1 2009, 03:22 AM
Post #29

Branded and Exiled
Group Icon

QUOTE (mawk @ Sep 30 2009, 10:50 PM) *
for me it's never a thing of Relating to a character. I don't need to impose my Thoughts and Ideas on the main character of a thing. the main character is just the pivotal character of the game's story, and his or her character should be determined by the needs of whichever story is going on. if a male lead would suit your plans best, go with that. if a female lead would be better, go with that instead. gender is just as inconsequential to me as hair colour is. things pivot on how well the main character lends itself to the atmosphere and characterization.

This much is true, but herein lies the difficulty. Coming from a writer's perspective, even though the characters are mere actors in the story you have develop, they still need to be resonate with the reader. The same goes with games, especially Role-Playing Games. Many of the newer RPGs, like Fallout 3, have opened the doors for more open-ended game play, allowing gamers to interact with the world as they see fit (which was the appeal of older RPGs like Dungeons and Dragons). What makes a character come to life is not atmosphere or characterization, but what the reader finds similar in those characters. That is why there is such a thing as a "target audience."

For all my love of Warhammer, Conan the Barbarian and Sword & Sorcery novels, I still can relate to a certain redhead named Anne Shirley. Yeah, try figuring that one out! tongue.gif

--------------------

PROGRESS:

+Quote Post

mawk
post Oct 1 2009, 03:45 AM
Post #30

Group Icon

gender is just as inconsequential to me as hair colour is. things pivot on how well the main character lends itself to the atmosphere and characterization.

What makes a character come to life is not atmosphere or characterization, but what the reader finds similar in those characters.

thanks for taking the time to respond to an opinion to inform its owner that the actual facts are exactly the converse.

This post has been edited by mawk: Oct 1 2009, 03:46 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post

Savage Sword
post Oct 1 2009, 04:00 AM
Post #31

Branded and Exiled
Group Icon

QUOTE (mawk @ Sep 30 2009, 11:45 PM) *
thanks for taking the time to respond to an opinion to inform its owner that the actual facts are exactly the converse.

My mistake. I'll just keep my opinions to myself from now on as they don't seem to benefit anyone here anyways.

--------------------

PROGRESS:

+Quote Post

mawk
post Oct 1 2009, 04:04 AM
Post #32

Group Icon

fair enough. my objection wasn't to your opinions themselves, though, so much as it was to the fact that you seemed to just be going "nah, you're wrong smile.gif" without any explanation or actual discussion. if you disagree with me, cool, let's talk it out. but don't pop in and say "well, you see, speaking as a writer, the facts are..." and swoop out again.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Savage Sword
post Oct 1 2009, 04:08 AM
Post #33

Branded and Exiled
Group Icon

QUOTE (mawk @ Oct 1 2009, 12:04 AM) *
fair enough. my objection wasn't to your opinions themselves, though, so much as it was to the fact that you seemed to just be going "nah, you're wrong smile.gif" without any explanation or actual discussion. if you disagree with me, cool, let's talk it out. but don't pop in and say "well, you see, speaking as a writer, the facts are..." and swoop out again.

And how else should I speak? I AM a writer and I did say from a writer's perspective, but whatever. Agree to disagree, before this thread gets derailed any further by this pointless debacle.

This post has been edited by Savage Sword: Oct 1 2009, 04:09 AM

--------------------

PROGRESS:

+Quote Post

Mr. Anonymous
post Oct 1 2009, 04:59 AM
Post #34

Group Icon

QUOTE (Savage Sword @ Sep 30 2009, 10:08 PM) *
And how else should I speak? I AM a writer and I did say from a writer's perspective, but whatever. Agree to disagree, before this thread gets derailed any further by this pointless debacle.

Don't be a dick. A writer is someone who has had decades of actual experience. You're not a writer sir, you're an amateur storyteller.

+Quote Post

Sen?
post Oct 1 2009, 05:12 AM
Post #35

Group Icon

Type: Designer
Alignment: Lawful Good

Going back to the topic...

Excluding character design. I find that female leads are mostly my first choice in open ended games, probably because the ability to explore/identify through them. Males are second (lol not following the ladies first rule tongue.gif)

--------------------

-UNDER CONSTRUCTION-

Supporting:

+Quote Post

Kovu
post Oct 1 2009, 06:11 AM
Post #36

Newb Hunter
Group Icon

I dont really care about Genders. I could swing one way and then the other as often as possible(sounds kinda dirty tongue.gif) just to keep it fresh.

Gender doesnt really change much about the story or the game or the characters. Its what you make the characters act like thats important.
You could have a tomboy who is all emo like Cloud, or an optimistic Male swordsman who's 6'7 400lbs and he likes to dance in a field of daisies because it gives him super powers and waht not.

--------------------
Grand Moff Lyonn
two wrongs don't make a right
har har har.

BUT! Two Negatives make a Positive :). And thats Math.
Har Har Har, HAR.

If we burn, you burn with us.

ORIGIN OF PURE EVIL (Read my posts to know)

-Current Projects-

+Quote Post

Sen?
post Oct 1 2009, 07:28 AM
Post #37

Group Icon

Type: Designer
Alignment: Lawful Good

The twist or the method would probably change to compliment the character's strengths and weaknesses in terms of gender.

--------------------

-UNDER CONSTRUCTION-

Supporting:

+Quote Post

Savage Sword
post Oct 1 2009, 08:56 AM
Post #38

Branded and Exiled
Group Icon

QUOTE (The Scryptkeeper @ Oct 1 2009, 12:59 AM) *
Don't be a dick. A writer is someone who has had decades of actual experience. You're not a writer sir, you're an amateur storyteller.

You have never read any of my work too judge me an amateur, sir. I've been writing for the past decade, but because I'm not famous, or some New York Times best seller does not make me no less a writer. I wasn't trying to be a dick. If that's how I see the world, from a writer's perspective, and think like a writer, then I can not help but act like one. Besides, I don't understand how I'm taking the heat over a simple comment, which was simply that - a comment! It was not meant to insult the poster, just provide a different viewpoint on character. However, in return not only do I try to stop this before derailing the thread, but I get insulted not once, but twice. I simply just don't get it.

--------------------

PROGRESS:

+Quote Post

Retired-Pine
post Oct 1 2009, 11:31 AM
Post #39

Not a democracy
Group Icon

What I don't get is how this shit is still going on after I slept and woke up. Back on topic or else.

--------------------

Spoiler:

Awards
Spoiler:

Games I support [under construction]
Spoiler:

+Quote Post

Legion6115
post Oct 1 2009, 11:50 PM
Post #40

Crimson Warrior
Group Icon

Alignment: Chaotic Good

Doesn't really matter to me. It's not the gender - it's the game. If I see a game I'd want to play, and it's led by a woman, I don't care, because I just want to play the game. Same thing with a guy.

--------------------

+Quote Post

12 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st April 2014 - 01:49 PM

RPGMakerVX.net is an Privacy Policy, Legal.