iPhone App Directory
RPG Maker VX

Gallery Members Search Calendar Help

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Collapse

>Announcement

The 2nd Quarter Contest has arrived! Go check it out in the Community Announcements now!

> Notes for Complete Game Threads

This forum is for completed RPG Maker VX games. Please do not post threads about games being made in other engines here.

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Closed TopicStart new topic
> [HC09] In Midnight, rpgmakervx.net Halloween 2009 Contest Winner
scherzo
post Oct 26 2009, 03:00 AM
Post #1

Group Icon

Type: Musician
Alignment: Lawful Neutral

Story

Four friends on a road trip find themselves lost... and on a road to hell!

The Enterbrain Entertain Expo is held every year, in Resurrection Valley, near the town of Midnight. Our four youths
(excepting Touchfuzzy who is approximately 85 years old), Pine, scherzo, Touchfuzzy, and MrAnonymous, have
set out to visit the RM company's show, with hopes of seeing what new programs they are preparing - instead, they are in for a howl of a surprise
when MrA's car breaks down, and the situation gets dicey. Their plight includes running into one of the strangest jails, catching undead monkeys,
dining in a devilish cafe, and learning all they want and more about what happens to those In Midnight!

Characters

Featuring the thrilling personalities (and talents) of a community cast:

Pine - scherzo - Touchfuzzy - MrAnonymous - Pyro - Kav - Aindra - Prof. Meow Meow
TheOriginalWij - Solistra - Svolta - Tetraflame - Ookie Panda - Moururi - ZB Darkflame - BigEd
Mithran - Macy's Hero - Lyonn - Harmill - silne30 - MasterChris - GrandmaDeb - Lunara
Aerendyll - JonnyRoxard - VIII - Vizzy - Brawen - KLB

With special appearances by none other than Tentacles and Poad as well as Razvan Sedekiah

Screens

Credits

They're in the game folder, as well as at the end.

Update: I have to add in a credit here to VIII for his torture chamber set!

Download

Download 1.3 ... extract to a folder and embrace the terrors of Midnight!

Tips

If you get stuck in the Cafe, here are four people's orders:
Spoiler:

Svolta - 3 Spaghetti & Eyeballs
Vizzy - 1 Trollfingers, 1 Horror Meal
Moururi - 2 Gruel Sammich, 3 Candy Bowl, 1 Garlic bread
Pine - 3 zombie taco, 3 wretch burrito

If you can't see in the forest maze, here is the map, seen in the editor:

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

MASH_MX
post Oct 26 2009, 03:11 AM
Post #2

"Everyone Is Unique In There Own Defined Way."
Group Icon

Type: Writer
Alignment: Chaotic Good

Very impressive scherzo. happy.gif Screen shots are nice and the overall gameplay is smooth and entertaining. tongue.gif Lots of laughs.

--------------------
My Projects:

Other:

Who and what I Support:
Spoiler:

+Quote Post

zbdarkflame
post Oct 26 2009, 03:23 AM
Post #3

Mysterious Shaman
Group Icon

Type: Designer
Alignment: Neutral Good

Hmmm...I don't know if its just me, or what, but I can't seem to get the download link to work. It just continues to load, always saying connecting to zshare. Unfortunate since I'd like to play this game.

--------------------

---
------

+Quote Post

Retired-Pine
post Oct 26 2009, 03:33 AM
Post #4

Not a democracy
Group Icon

Type: Spriter
Alignment: Lawful Evil

Same as ZBD :<

--------------------

Spoiler:

Awards
Spoiler:

Games I support [under construction]
Spoiler:

+Quote Post

Guest_Kalikya238_*
post Oct 26 2009, 04:45 AM
Post #5

Guests

same thing scher fix it i want to play so baddddd

+Quote Post

scherzo
post Oct 26 2009, 06:56 AM
Post #6

Group Icon

OK, fixed it. Sorry about that.

The link should still work on zshare, but their website is (and has been for last couple hours) down, for whatever reason.

@MASH_MX: Thanks, I appreciate it. I recommend you play the whole game btw.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Ryan A
post Oct 26 2009, 06:57 AM
Post #7

You make me smile just like this
Group Icon

Alignment: Unaligned

I'm getting really into this o_o After the first battle though, the game closed with an audio error of some kind o_O

--------------------

+Quote Post

scherzo
post Oct 26 2009, 08:37 AM
Post #8

Group Icon

QUOTE (Ryan A @ Oct 26 2009, 02:57 AM) *
I'm getting really into this o_o After the first battle though, the game closed with an audio error of some kind o_O

Ok, fixed. I... messed up when removing some excess sfx.

Hopefully everything is good now. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

Moururi
post Oct 26 2009, 10:19 AM
Post #9

Ocean Stars Falling...
Group Icon

I'm utterly stumped in front of the castle.

I've got the rope and flint, and i've tried every combination of fires possible, but nothing happens D=.

Can i get some help? XD

Edit: Started the puzzle over, i see now that the flames are just to get the rope? XD

Edit again: Figured it out, lol

This post has been edited by Wereruri: Oct 26 2009, 10:40 AM

+Quote Post

Guest_Kalikya238_*
post Oct 26 2009, 10:44 AM
Post #10

Guests

bug hunn at the restaurent place i am stuk with 2 customers now what the dude wants 4

+Quote Post

KLB
post Oct 26 2009, 11:19 PM
Post #11

W7's Paint RULES! >=D
Group Icon

Alignment: Unaligned

"I'll have the same Mr.Pine is having!!! XD" <---- LOL!! laugh.gif

thats just like me xD I loved the game definetly and with the Final Boss I couldn't stop laughing xD Very nice game!!

--------------------
I support:
Spoiler:

+Quote Post

zbdarkflame
post Oct 26 2009, 11:31 PM
Post #12

Mysterious Shaman
Group Icon

Played this game, I must say that it was very well done. I enjoyed it greatly, for the most part. So, here's a quick run down.

(in case I give away something)
Spoiler:

===Pros===
--Music selection was very good. I laughed so hard when I first heard Thriller.
--Graphics were awesome. Helped make the game feel just that much more unique and amazing.
--Maping was excellent. Very good job there. I loved the atmosphere, and everything.
--Story was good up to the dinner.
--Very few bugs that I could think of. A couple of minor ones I think, but otherwise very good debugging.
--The puzzles were very good. I enjoyed them all. I just want to ask what the purpose of the rope was...never used it.
--Battles were balanced and fun.
--Use of scripts was good. Helped make the game feel more unique.

===Cons===
--The dinner...I feel as though you were rushing to finish at this point. Suddenly everyone is in a dinner at the top of a castle? Kinda odd I thought, and didn't do much to add to the story.
--Tentacles...he just let you free his prisoners without a fight?
--Sometimes a little too dark. Not a big deal.
--Minor errors here and there, such as text cutting off. Again, not big deal. What was a sorta big deal was the errors in passibility.
--Ending felt odd to me too. You start with Deb telling a story, and then you leave three years into the future.
--Not much in replay value.

Overall, a very solid game. I feel like it may have been rushed a little towards the end, but that's likely because of the time limit set on the contest. My only complaints were some story points, and everything else was very good. Overall, I'd have to give it a 7.5/10

Good job!

--------------------

---
------

+Quote Post

scherzo
post Oct 27 2009, 05:02 AM
Post #13

Group Icon

@Moururi: Glad you figured it out tongue.gif.

@KLB: That line wrote itself though. biggrin.gif

@Cyn: What do you mean? The customers only give their orders once.

@ ZB: Thank you for the comments! I really appreciate it. I enjoyed your pros a lot, glad to hear you liked it. As for your cons (spoilering):
Spoiler:

The rickety rope was to open the way to the basement, that's all.

- About the cafe, I just wanted to throw in something off-key, unexpected, cheesy. What would a cafe be doing in the middle of an evil castle? laugh.gif More problematic to me was Pine's random reappearance after the SBS scene earlier. That is something I really wanted to expand on, as well as MrA's disappearance.
- Tentacles can't be defeated. Also, adding in a Tentacles fight would be too predictable for me, I think, as Sevith and jonny's rocking adventure did that already. I probably could've found some other way for the events to unfold though.
- The maze was meant to be very dark, I didn't want you to see easily. tongue.gif
- Passability errors happened because I added in some things late.
- Yeah, I realized this (large story inconsistency) as I was coming to the end. I didn't want to redo the beginning, because I liked Deb, but I also saw a way to end ahead of me, and went with it. Time constraints and all. It is odd, you're right.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Lunara
post Oct 27 2009, 01:49 PM
Post #14

Moon Lady
Group Icon

Alignment: Chaotic Neutral

I loved this game a lot. The atmosphere, the dialogue, the visual elements, it was all brilliant. The story kind of didn't make sense near the ending, but of course, it's because you were rushing, and I understand that.

When I first got to the café, I was kinda thinking, "What? Where am I? What am I doing? Why didn't I save?!". xD And for some reason, the first time I was in there, I was running around as BigEd. I have no idea how that could have happened. I went back a second time, though, and everything was as it should be.

I think you did an excellent job with this, especially with the limited amount of time you had to make it. (:

( Ahh. Now I want a bag of Gummy Worms. :3 )

--------------------

+Quote Post

mudducky
post Oct 27 2009, 07:22 PM
Post #15

Lurking...
Group Icon

Type: Undisclosed
Alignment: True Neutral

I’ve played through your game Scherzo. The mapping looked excellent to me. I’m surprised how well you managed to design it in the time given. The battles were good and the plot was full of laughs. Overall I had a lot of fun playing your game. smile.gif

--------------------
Want help with learning the RPG Maker VX events?

Support. Check out these projects! They are not placed in top ranking order or anything like that.

+Quote Post

IMP1
post Oct 27 2009, 08:56 PM
Post #16

Retributionist.
Group Icon

Type: Writer

I realise I'm not a judge or anything, but I want to give you people the credit you deserve.
This was one of my favourites. I loved the creatures than ran across the screen when you walk, and the battles were... surprisingly fun, though I sucked at avoiding the monsters and so they kinda get old (mainly, because of the way the SBS is overused).

Nice use of scripts for small, but jolly, extras, like the

And your music! Fantastic choices of sounds in general really. And your inclusion of the community members made me laugh.

--------------------

+Quote Post

scherzo
post Oct 28 2009, 07:34 AM
Post #17

Group Icon

@Lunara
Thanks for playing! I don't know how you ran around as BigEd... that's definitely not supposed to happen. But I'm glad you enjoyed the game, and your role, too. Wasn't going to leave you out. :3

@mudducky
Thanks for the comments, and haha, I was going for a "camp" approach, so good to hear you got some laughs.

@IMP1
Well thank you sir for your badge of merit. I spent a good chunk of time understanding the tankentai system so I could implement it (having never used it before), though I didn't think there were too many battles overall. I probably should've allowed you to escape from my wicked throes at least though. tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

JoRu
post Oct 28 2009, 01:31 PM
Post #18

The 15-year old Swedish Meatball
Group Icon

I haven't played 'til the end just yet, but man this is one awesome piece of entertainment! The use of graphics and music is awesome, the battles are, even if they could be even sharper a lot of fun to mess around with. But the best part is obviously the dialogue. Lots of people have done humoristic games for the contest (I seem to have been the only one who didn't happy.gif) but this one is by far the funniest. It succeeds magnificently in meeting the demands required to make a funny game thanks to clever dialogue and a very broad and interesting use of vocabulary. You've definitely deserved this very ugly, but still very honorable seal of quality:

--------------------

Spoiler:

QUOTE (JoRu)
Life is a game!

Stay tuned for more information about Fairytale. To stay updated on all my project videos, visit my YouTube page!

+Quote Post

kalez238
post Oct 28 2009, 05:01 PM
Post #19

Successfully Failing
Group Icon

Alignment: Lawful Evil

i thought the game was great up until the cafe. i hadnt saved since near teh beginning and my memory sucks, so i gave up trying to please them and pissed them all off XD. no, i didnt beat it.

This post has been edited by kalez238: Oct 28 2009, 05:03 PM

--------------------
If you like my art, check out my novel series

+Quote Post

scherzo
post Oct 29 2009, 07:58 AM
Post #20

Group Icon

@JoRu
Thanks. I tried to make the dialogue sound realistic to their character. I credited the IRC because, well, that's how I know everyone. And thanks for the ugly seal! tongue.gif

@kalez
Haha, good, you got to see everyone's "you failed" message. I'm planning on putting a reset/choose-difficulty option or something in the cafe whenever I get around to updating this.

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2014 - 09:41 PM

RPGMakerVX.net is an Privacy Policy, Legal.