iPhone App Directory
RPG Maker VX

Gallery Members Search Calendar Help

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Collapse

>Announcement

Keep an eye out for the upcoming 3rd Quarter Contest!

> Notes for Complete Game Threads

This forum is for completed RPG Maker VX games. Please do not post threads about games being made in other engines here.

2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Closed TopicStart new topic
> [HC09] In Midnight, rpgmakervx.net Halloween 2009 Contest Winner
Kav
post Nov 1 2009, 12:09 AM
Post #21

Group Icon

Type: Undisclosed
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral

Mapping: 8/10

The mapping in this game vas a breath of fresh air. It vas nice to see such creativity in the forest maps and the varied use of tiles helped strengthen the heavy atmosphere in the game. For the most part, it felt like playing a professional published game due to the vonderful use of the tiles. The only real drawback was that some areas had very linear paths and didn't disguise it too vell.

Events and Scripting: 8/10

The use of emote bubbles, appropriate sprite movement, and the level of customization made this game great. A customized version of the default battle system is used vhich shows the characters attacking on screen. The menu is customized to have different categories for items. At the end of battles, characters vill make remarks depending on who's in your party. The system of svitching party members is another script I've seen before that always adds to a RMVX game's enjoyment. There's also an area vhere platforms move the character from platform to platform. Vith no noticeable glitches, the game feels very polished.

Dialog: 8/10

The dialogue is one of the best parts of the game. The characterizations are mostly spot-on (though mine was pretty bland >_>). There are many humorous lines associated vith the real life person connected to each character, evoking their personalities vell, such as scherzo's constant references to B movies. Tentacles' dialogue is especially hilarious, and helped create my favorite scene in the game.

Storyline: 6/10

The storyline's rather basic: get to the Enterbrain Entertain Expo (parody of E3). On the way, the party vinds up at a haunted mansion. Nothing amazing, but the story does have interesting side areas that more than make up for the main plot.

Resources: 8/10

There vas little to no RTP usage. All the maps used mack or other tiles that fit the areas they vere conveying very vell. None of the graphical choices felt out of place, and all the many characters found throughout the game make it feel full of life. The halloween skin for the battle system was a very nice touch. Even better than the graphics vere the music and sound effects. The music fit the atmosphere in all parts of the game, and using "Thriller" for the battle theme added to the comedy horror style of the game. The crisp sound effects vere very pleasant to hear and added a whole new level of enjoyment to the game.

Intangibles: 10/10

This game pretty much captured the contest perfectly. It hit the mood right on the nail, vith its dark brooding atmosphere in the forest and basement areas of the mansion. Many of the community characters in the game were portrayed accurately. The humor was actually funny and didn't feel forced. The Tentacles scene, with his dialogue and the song playing during his monologue, vas vhat I've been waiting for the entire contest. That scene alone made this game great. I'm not batty when I say this is my favorite entry in the contest.

Overall: 8.0

--------------------

Spoiler:
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Sevith
post Nov 1 2009, 04:34 PM
Post #22

Retired Bear Fighter. ಠ_ಠ
Group Icon

Type: Designer
Alignment: Neutral Good

In Midnight by Scherzo
Mapping: The maps were all very well made and provided the game with a fantastic atmosphere. I truly felt like I was lost in a strange and dark place. There were certain parts were the dark screen tone made it a bit hard to see, but it wasn't anything detrimental to the game experience, infact it enhanced it for the most part. 10
Events and Scripting: The cutscenes were all engaging, and I experienced no lag throughout the game. Additionally, the game sported a lot of unique eventing (such as the restaurant minigame) that was both fun to play and very well done. Additionally, all the scripts were used quite well and enhanced the gameplay. It felt like no scripts were used for the sake of using scripts, something that is often hard to find in such a script heavy community. 10
Dialogue: The dialogue was near perfect. T'was all hilarious and captured even the slightest quirk of the community members. Never has a community game captured members' personalities so well. 10
Storyline: The story was very interesting and immediately captivating. I found myself unable to take a break from the game just because I wanted to find out what would happen next. Unfortunately, the awkward jump into the restaurant, undeveloped SBS and MrA sidestories, and the discontinuity between the intro (Deb's storytime) and the end (Scherzo's dream) made the game feel incomplete. I understand that this was because of the time constraint and had you more time, these would have been addressed. Considering all you put in the game in such a short time, it's really quite impressive even without those sidestories. 9
Resources: The abundance of community characters, custom sprites, and fitting tiles greatly enhanced the game. Nothing felt misplaced or out of the ordinary, nor did it feel like you were adding things for the sake of adding things. Also, everything from the music to the window sets added to the unique and captivating feel. I loved the old school game vibe I was getting yet it didn't take me out of the dark, modern tone. The only issue was with the icons. There were a few cases where the items lacked icons that shouldn't have been to hard to find. Kinda made the game feel unpolished, which is a shame since the rest of the game is so... well... great. 9
Intangibles: The game was great. Period. Everything worked out wonderfully. The gameplay was great. Not only was it my favorite contest entry, but it's up there as one of my favorite RMVX games. I hope to see a fully finished version with some of the story elements missing added in. 10
Final Total: 58
Overall Score: 9.7

--------------------
QUOTE (nagilhs @ 2 May 2010)
this guys just a power crazed jack ass.

+Quote Post

scherzo
post Nov 5 2009, 08:31 AM
Post #23

Group Icon

Type: Musician
Alignment: Lawful Neutral

QUOTE (Dracula @ Oct 31 2009, 07:09 PM) *
The dialogue is one of the best parts of the game. The characterizations are mostly spot-on (though mine was pretty bland >_>).

tongue.gif I might change your role, if I remake this, so you aren't shackled to being the shopkeep and telling the player how to play the minigame, etc.

QUOTE (Sevith @ Nov 1 2009, 11:34 AM) *
Not only was it my favorite contest entry, but it's up there as one of my favorite RMVX games. I hope to see a fully finished version with some of the story elements missing added in.

I'm thinking about it, when I get time, and after I've taken a good break. Still undecided.

And yeah, I did totally overlook some item's icons (ex. Aindra's weapons, Prof's armor). I really didn't forget, I just didn't feel like putting icons there.

Edit: Updating the download link with several fixes.

--------------------

+Quote Post

JFJohnny5
post Nov 25 2009, 08:09 PM
Post #24

Sexy shoeless god of war
Group Icon

Getting an "Extract Failed" message while unpacking the exe. The only folder it actually creates is the audio one. I think there may e a corrupt file in the audio folder.

+Quote Post

scherzo
post Nov 26 2009, 06:36 AM
Post #25

Group Icon

QUOTE (JFJohnny5 @ Nov 25 2009, 03:09 PM) *
Getting an "Extract Failed" message while unpacking the exe. The only folder it actually creates is the audio one. I think there may e a corrupt file in the audio folder.

Mediafire just, apparently, cannot handle my horror, that's all. Reuploaded it somewhere else, changed dl link.

--------------------

+Quote Post

llama
post Jan 20 2010, 07:50 PM
Post #26

Group Icon

Type: Writer
Alignment: Chaotic Good

By the beard of Zeus, that was a fantastic game!

It was certainly fun to play, and for someone that isn't a big part of the community i still found it hilarious. "why is there a cafe on the floor below us?" tongue.gif

I'd give it a solid 8/10 for the same reason others were stating about the story not making much sense near the end.

Definitely the most enjoyable VX game i've played so far...Keep em' comin'!

--------------------
Spoiler:

+Quote Post

Retired-Pine
post Jan 20 2010, 11:02 PM
Post #27

Not a democracy
Group Icon

Type: Spriter
Alignment: Lawful Evil

Is this the game that won the corrupted contest? tongue.gif

--------------------

Spoiler:

Awards
Spoiler:

Games I support [under construction]
Spoiler:

+Quote Post

scherzo
post Jan 26 2010, 08:39 PM
Post #28

Group Icon

QUOTE (llama @ Jan 20 2010, 02:50 PM) *
Definitely the most enjoyable VX game i've played so far...Keep em' comin'!

Thanks, I appreciate it.

QUOTE (PINEDAVX @ Jan 20 2010, 06:02 PM) *
Is this the game that won the corrupted contest? tongue.gif

What a crock, huh? Whoever was in charge was probably some tyrannical packrat.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Dayner
post Feb 3 2010, 02:44 AM
Post #29

Group Icon

i may found a bug

after the cafe and troll fight , if you exit from bottom exit then return , the room light wont let up and you have to make your way to exit in the darkness

*update*

its seem even if i exit the cafe after the bug , the next room wont even light up

This post has been edited by Dayner: Feb 3 2010, 02:46 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post

Kyle?
post Feb 16 2010, 06:40 AM
Post #30

Psi My Faveroute Letter!
Group Icon

Alignment: Chaotic Evil

Hmm.....
DL Link Isn't Working
I Think It's Because That Site Crashed
Your Using
Maybe Some Mirrors Are In Order

--------------------

Spoiler:

I SUPPORT:
Spoiler:

MY AWARD(S):
Spoiler:

MY PROJECTS:
Spoiler:

The Return: The Elements - 1.0%

FIGHT THIS NAO!
http://kinghax.mybrute.com

JOIN THESE NAO!
Spoiler:

+Quote Post

sarbethan
post Mar 13 2010, 04:24 PM
Post #31

Group Icon

not working again, can you try another hosting service? (not mega upload or rapid share they seem to work 10% of the time in public places)

+Quote Post

scherzo
post Mar 14 2010, 11:36 PM
Post #32

Group Icon

Alright, fixed the link, it's back to mediafire again.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Andinatοr
post Mar 15 2010, 02:56 AM
Post #33

Laziest Artist NA
Group Icon

Type: Artist
Alignment: Unaligned

man... no one adds me to their Community Games

Just kidding. I wasn't even an active member in 2009 and I'm not that big of a member now either XD. But I'll download this since it seems pretty fun XD

--------------------

+Quote Post

hkoz
post Sep 18 2011, 02:44 PM
Post #34

Group Icon

Alignment: Chaotic Good

i cant say anything but " you are epic" i wanna be like u sometime biggrin.gif

--------------------
My Projects:
-The Lost Myth(in progress)
-Soul list (my game for the free for all contest 2011)

Spoiler:

I support:

+Quote Post

IceDragon
post Sep 18 2011, 04:00 PM
Post #35

I demand cookies.
Group Icon

Type: Coder
Alignment: Neutral Good

:X

OMFG: DUDE DATE;
DATEEEEEEEE (points at the 1 year gap)

OMG

You know what:

CLOSED:

PS. Check the date, Don't necro again.

>_> Carry on

--------------------
Spoiler:

To be Hexa-fied

Spoiler:
Other/Reminders--
Support your cookie loving dragon!

CODE
[url="http://www.rpgmakervx.net/index.php?showuser=52960"][img]http://i56.tinypic.com/2d1pfmw.png[/img][/url]

http://www.rpgmakervx.net/index.php?showto...amp;#entry48215 HA AUTOTILES
Pine's Birthday is the 2th of July

WORK ON YOUR TIME MEMORY @___@

+Quote Post

Tomaru Aku
post Apr 28 2013, 03:35 PM
Post #36

Group Icon

Alignment: Lawful Good

I can't download the game. It's error. Could you fix it?

+Quote Post

Akod
post Apr 28 2013, 04:27 PM
Post #37

Group Icon

Type: Designer
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral

There seems to be an issue with the format that this game had when mediafire changed the way it works with those files and this seems to be a common error that no one knows how to get past unless you actually pay for your mediafire account.

Since Scherzo has been gone for quite a while and probably won't ever come back I'll close this for now. If anyone has a copy of this game please message me with the link and I'll reopen and update this thread.

--------------------

Having issues eventing something? Feel free to send me a message and I will see what I can do!

I Support
Spoiler:

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd September 2014 - 08:24 PM

RPGMakerVX.net is an Privacy Policy, Legal.