iPhone App Directory
RPG Maker VX

Gallery Members Search Calendar Help

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Collapse

>Announcement

Keep an eye out for the upcoming 3rd Quarter Contest!

> ATTENTION!

Do not post questions about Ace in this section. Any and all Ace related support should be posted in the Ace section found here.

Closed TopicStart new topic
> Mana Regeneration/Show Enemy HP in Battle
Daevo
post Nov 19 2009, 10:25 PM
Post #1

Death from Above
Group Icon

Almost done with a game my group has been working on for almost a year.
Just want to put a few finishing touches on it. Playtesters complain about:

No mana regeneration when you walk around

and also

Enemy HP not showing up in battle

Any ideas on how to do both or either?

Thanks smile.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

zbdarkflame
post Nov 19 2009, 10:46 PM
Post #2

Mysterious Shaman
Group Icon

Type: Designer
Alignment: Neutral Good

OK, so I don't know about any Mana regeneration script, although I swear I've seen one here or around somewhere. Can't say where though.

On the other hand, I do know of an enemy HP script that works well. It has some compatibility issues with custom battle systems, but otherwise works quite well. A link to it is below. Credit KGC.

http://ytomy.sakura.ne.jp/tkool/rpgtech/ph...=enemy_hp_gauge

I'm sorry that the site is in Japanese. It's a plug and play script. Just make sure that you also grab the enemy hp bar picture that is below the script. I believe you place it in the system folder, but I could be wrong and it needs to be in the picture folder.

Hope this helps.

--------------------

---
------

+Quote Post

Epic Ancient
post Nov 19 2009, 10:47 PM
Post #3

If it's a choice between life and death, I pick Purgatory.
Group Icon

Type: Coder
Alignment: Lawful Neutral

Are you using the default battle system? If so, it's easy to show the HP of a monster in-battle.

The

"Turn No. 1*X"

is just saying when to announce the messages/actions; At the beginning of turn 0, or 1, and every turn after it.

If I'm wrong, someone correct me. I was never any good with the settings for when to play a message..

This post has been edited by Epic Ancient: Nov 19 2009, 10:49 PM

--------------------
IQ: 134 - According to a professional, paid-for quiz.

Cheating is Valued - Community Game!

My Signature:
Spoiler:

My Resources:
Tutorials
Spoiler:
Click here to learn how to create a battle outside of an actual battle!

Click here to learn how to change your Game.exe, or any other program's, Icon!

Click here to learn how to remove the Enemy Alphabetical Naming System from Battles!

Click here to learn how to add more title menu options!

Click here to learn how to make a transformation occur when equipping any items!

Click here to learn how to make a fully evented Summoning/Pet system!

Projects/Games:
Spoiler:

The Ultimate Puzzle
Progress: 49%
The Ultimate Puzzle Dev. Topic! Click itttttttttttttt. :]

Legacy of The Furry & Land of The Animals game links broken; cannot be replaced. Sorry.

Supportnessness:
Spoiler:

Free Web Hosting:
Spoiler:

Thanks Pine for directing me to this awesome hosting site.

I dare you to look inside.
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

+Quote Post

Daevo
post Nov 20 2009, 08:42 AM
Post #4

Death from Above
Group Icon

zbdarkflame: The script seems to work well, but the only problem is when one of my enemies uses an attack that damages me and heals themself. It crashes and says-

Script 'Show Enemy HP' line 406: NoMethodError occurred.
Undefined method 'show_hp_gauge='for # <Game_Actor:0x37bb9b8>

399 if obj != nil && !damaged
400 damaged = (obj.damage_to_mp && obj.base_damage == 0)
401 end
402 target.show_hp_gauge = true if damaged
403 end
404 if !@active_battler.actor? && target.absorbed
405 # 吸収
406 target.show_hp_gauge = true if @active_battler.hp_damage != 0
407 end
409 display_hp_damage_KGC_EnemyHPGauge(target, obj)
410 end
411 end

Epic Ancient: Thats a very good alternative. We are using just the basic battle system, so if I can't figure out the method purposed by zb then I will try yours!

+Quote Post

Epic Ancient
post Nov 20 2009, 07:31 PM
Post #5

Group Icon

QUOTE (Daevo @ Nov 20 2009, 03:42 AM) *
zbdarkflame: The script seems to work well, but the only problem is when one of my enemies uses an attack that damages me and heals themself. It crashes and says-

Script 'Show Enemy HP' line 406: NoMethodError occurred.
Undefined method 'show_hp_gauge='for # <Game_Actor:0x37bb9b8>

399 if obj != nil && !damaged
400 damaged = (obj.damage_to_mp && obj.base_damage == 0)
401 end
402 target.show_hp_gauge = true if damaged
403 end
404 if !@active_battler.actor? && target.absorbed
405 # 吸収
406 target.show_hp_gauge = true if @active_battler.hp_damage != 0
407 end
409 display_hp_damage_KGC_EnemyHPGauge(target, obj)
410 end
411 end

Epic Ancient: Thats a very good alternative. We are using just the basic battle system, so if I can't figure out the method purposed by zb then I will try yours!

Mine doesn't fail, aside from the turns, probably. I've used the Battling HP Messages for I don't know how long.

--------------------

My Signature:
Spoiler:

My Resources:
Tutorials
Spoiler:

Click here to learn how to remove the Enemy Alphabetical Naming System from Battles!

Click here to learn how to make a transformation occur when equipping any items!

Projects/Games:
Spoiler:

The Ultimate Puzzle

Legacy of The Furry & Land of The Animals game links broken; cannot be replaced. Sorry.

Supportnessness:
Spoiler:

Free Web Hosting:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

+Quote Post

Archfiend
post Nov 21 2009, 04:29 AM
Post #6

Group Icon

Type: Writer

QUOTE (Daevo @ Nov 19 2009, 02:25 PM) *
Almost done with a game my group has been working on for almost a year.
Just want to put a few finishing touches on it. Playtesters complain about:

No mana regeneration when you walk around

I just came up with a solution myself recently.

First, I use this script: http://www.rpgmakervx.net/index.php?showtopic=7179

This is a simple step counter script that allows you to do... well, anything you want really... after X number of steps taken.

It's fairly simple to configure - just have to set the switch and variable that it references and then you're good to go.

Then, use a common event which runs parallel whenever the step counter switch is on. The common event should check to see how many steps you've taken (how often do you want mana to regen? every step? every 5 steps?) and then increase the party's mp by whatever amount you want if that number of steps has been taken. Unless your planning to use this script for something else, then you simply have the common event reset the variable after each time it regens the party mp.

I can provide pics if necessary, but I think the process is pretty straight-forward.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Epic Ancient
post Nov 21 2009, 02:50 PM
Post #7

Group Icon

QUOTE (Archfiend @ Nov 20 2009, 11:29 PM) *

This is a simple step counter script that allows you to do... well, anything you want really... after X number of steps taken.

It's fairly simple to configure - just have to set the switch and variable that it references and then you're good to go.

Then, use a common event which runs parallel whenever the step counter switch is on. The common event should check to see how many steps you've taken (how often do you want mana to regen? every step? every 5 steps?) and then increase the party's mp by whatever amount you want if that number of steps has been taken. Unless your planning to use this script for something else, then you simply have the common event reset the variable after each time it regens the party mp.

I can provide pics if necessary, but I think the process is pretty straight-forward.

An example of the "whatever else" in that:

Pokémon style "poisoned pokémon" poison. Walk around; every 5 steps, your pokémon that is poisoned takes 1 HP dmg.

--------------------

My Signature:
Spoiler:

My Resources:
Tutorials
Spoiler:

Projects/Games:
Spoiler:

The Ultimate Puzzle

Supportnessness:
Spoiler:

Free Web Hosting:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

+Quote Post

Daevo
post Nov 23 2009, 09:56 PM
Post #8

Death from Above
Group Icon

QUOTE (Archfiend @ Nov 20 2009, 08:29 PM) *

Thats actually a great idea. There are so many things you could do with the step counter. Thank you.

And thanks Epic Ancient for all your help! smile.gif

I'll post the game at the end of the semester when its done!

+Quote Post

Daevo
post Nov 23 2009, 10:16 PM
Post #9

Death from Above
Group Icon

QUOTE (Archfiend @ Nov 20 2009, 08:29 PM) *

Okay I think I have most of it setup correctly. I haven't worked much with common events.. A few questions:
1) How do I make the common event check to see how many steps I've taken? Say every 5 steps, 5 mana should regen.
2) Do I have to set the STEP_COUNTER switch on to Autorun on every screen, so it will turn on no matter where the player loads the game...? or when its a common event will it automatically run when the game starts?

+Quote Post

Epic Ancient
post Nov 23 2009, 10:33 PM
Post #10

Group Icon

QUOTE (Daevo @ Nov 23 2009, 05:16 PM) *
Okay I think I have most of it setup correctly. I haven't worked much with common events.. A few questions:
1) How do I make the common event check to see how many steps I've taken? Say every 5 steps, 5 mana should regen.
2) Do I have to set the STEP_COUNTER switch on to Autorun on every screen, so it will turn on no matter where the player loads the game...? or when its a common event will it automatically run when the game starts?

Don't Double Post. -Famous Mod Edit. tongue.gif

I didn't really look over the script, but it looks like you need to turn the switch on when the player starts the game (Make it autorun, then erase event, somewhere, turning the switch on.).

Have a common event conditional branch for If Switch: [COUNT_STEP_FLAG] is ON
If it's on, check for variable STEP_COUNTER to be => 5. Then, if it's => 5, make it +5 MP to your entire party, then set the variable to 0, and it'll repeat every 5 steps.

For both elses, leave blank.

Make sure the common event can be activated somehow, automatically.

This post has been edited by Epic Ancient: Nov 23 2009, 10:36 PM

--------------------

My Signature:
Spoiler:

My Resources:
Tutorials
Spoiler:

Projects/Games:
Spoiler:

The Ultimate Puzzle

Supportnessness:
Spoiler:

Free Web Hosting:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

+Quote Post

Daevo
post Nov 23 2009, 11:30 PM
Post #11

Death from Above
Group Icon

QUOTE (Epic Ancient @ Nov 23 2009, 02:33 PM) *
Don't Double Post. -Famous Mod Edit. tongue.gif

I didn't really look over the script, but it looks like you need to turn the switch on when the player starts the game (Make it autorun, then erase event, somewhere, turning the switch on.).

Have a common event conditional branch for If Switch: [COUNT_STEP_FLAG] is ON
If it's on, check for variable STEP_COUNTER to be => 5. Then, if it's => 5, make it +5 MP to your entire party, then set the variable to 0, and it'll repeat every 5 steps.

For both elses, leave blank.

Make sure the common event can be activated somehow, automatically.

That worked except 5 mana every 5 steps was WAY too much haha. I lowered it to 1 and now its perfect smile.gif Thanks for like the 8th time :-p

+Quote Post

Epic Ancient
post Nov 23 2009, 11:35 PM
Post #12

Group Icon

QUOTE (Daevo @ Nov 23 2009, 06:30 PM) *
That worked except 5 mana every 5 steps was WAY too much haha. I lowered it to 1 and now its perfect smile.gif Thanks for like the 8th time :-p

You're welcome. happy.gif

--------------------

My Signature:
Spoiler:

My Resources:
Tutorials
Spoiler:

Projects/Games:
Spoiler:

The Ultimate Puzzle

Supportnessness:
Spoiler:

Free Web Hosting:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

+Quote Post

Archfiend
post Nov 27 2009, 03:59 PM
Post #13

Group Icon

Glad this worked for you smile.gif

Not sure if it's still relevant for you, but in case anyone else comes across this, I thought I'd share how I've gone on to refine this particular process.

I decided to regen a random amount of mana per step (2-5), and then after a suggestion I received, decided that this amount should decay over time to simulate exhaustion setting in. I couldn't really achieve this effect using the process as I described above, but after a little more thinking on the problem, I realized that I didn't really need to reset the step counter variable after each tick of mana regen. Instead I set up two common events, the first one sets a new variable to whatever the current step count is +1, then turns on a switch which activates the second event, and finally turns off its own switch. The second event waits until the current step count is equal to the new variable set in the first common event, and then increases mana by a certain amount depending upon how high the step counter is - it starts at 2-5 mana per tick when the step counter is low, and then as more steps are taken, the amount gradually decays until, eventually, the character actually slowly loses mana with each step. After the mana tick, this event switches the first event back on, and itself off. The step count variable isn't reset until you visit an inn, so when a character is well-rested, he gets more mana with each step than after you've been exploring for a while.

I've adapted the same system for encounters in dungeons as well, as the built-in system isn't quite flexible enough for me.

Again, dunno if this is relevant to anyone's interests, but I just wanted to share smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

cuasimodo
post Sep 8 2010, 01:59 PM
Post #14

Group Icon

Type: Undisclosed

Thanx! Works great though there was a little bug, I fixed it already! rolleyes.gif

--------------------
O_o

+Quote Post

ciliboh
post Jan 2 2011, 01:42 AM
Post #15

Group Icon

Type: Undisclosed

this what i get from other forum.
it's a simple enemy hp viewer, but it's working.
http://www.hbgames.org/forums/viewtopic.ph...=26&t=44993

CODE
#==============================================================================
# ** HP_Bar
#------------------------------------------------------------------------------
#  This sprite will show the user how much HP an enemy has.

class Enemy_HPBar < Sprite_Base
  #--------------------------------------------------------------------------
  # * Constant Variables
  # The bar uses a gradient. Default is (red to green)/(left to right)
  # respectively.
  HP_COLOR_LEFT =
    Color.new(255, 0, 0) # The left color of the HP Bar. *Default : Red*
  HP_COLOR_RIGHT =
    Color.new(0, 255, 0) # The right color of the HP Bar. *Default : Green*
  HP_BAR_LENGTH = 64     # The length of the bar. 1 pixel border is not
                         # taken into account.
  HP_BAR_HEIGHT = 6      # The height ob the bar. 1 pixel border is not
                         # taken into account.

HP_BAR_OPACITY = 170   # The opacity of the bar.
  # * Object Initialization
  def initialize(viewport, sprite_battler)
    super(viewport)
    # Save the battler.
    @sprite_battler = sprite_battler

self.opacity = HP_BAR_OPACITY

# Create the bitmap.
    self.bitmap = Bitmap.new(HP_BAR_LENGTH + 2, HP_BAR_HEIGHT + 2)

# Create the outline it will never change.
    self.bitmap.fill_rect(0, 0, HP_BAR_LENGTH + 2, 1, Color.new(0, 0, 0))
    self.bitmap.fill_rect(0, HP_BAR_HEIGHT + 1, HP_BAR_LENGTH + 2, 1, Color.new(0, 0, 0))
    self.bitmap.fill_rect(0, 1, 1, HP_BAR_HEIGHT, Color.new(0, 0, 0))
    self.bitmap.fill_rect(HP_BAR_LENGTH + 1, 1, 1, HP_BAR_HEIGHT, Color.new(0, 0, 0))
  end
  # * Frame Update
  def update
    super()

# Turn it off if the battler is either dead or hidden.
    self.visible = @sprite_battler.visible

# Return if this object can not be seen.
    return unless self.visible

# Put the bar dead center over the sprite.
    self.x = @sprite_battler.x +
      (@sprite_battler.bitmap.width / 2) - HP_BAR_LENGTH
    # Move it up away from the sprite just a little.
    self.y = @sprite_battler.y - 10
    self.z = @sprite_battler.z + 1

if @hp != @sprite_battler.battler.hp
      # Clear out the portion we want to draw to.
      self.bitmap.clear_rect(1, 1, HP_BAR_LENGTH, HP_BAR_HEIGHT)
      # Save the current hp.
      @hp = @sprite_battler.battler.hp
      # Determine how many pixels wide the health bar should be.
      pixel_width = HP_BAR_LENGTH * (@hp / @sprite_battler.battler.maxhp.to_f)
      # Draw the health bar.
      self.bitmap.gradient_fill_rect(Rect.new(1, 1, pixel_width, HP_BAR_HEIGHT),
        HP_COLOR_LEFT, HP_COLOR_RIGHT)
    end
  end
  # * Dispose
  def dispose
    super()
    self.bitmap.dispose unless self.bitmap.disposed?
  end
end

# ** Spriteset_Battle
#------------------------------------------------------------------------------
#  This class brings together battle screen sprites. It's used within the
# Scene_Battle class.

class Spriteset_Battle
  # * Alias Methods
  alias_method :djfl_hpbars_spriteset_battle_create_enemies, :create_enemies
  alias_method :djfl_hpbars_spriteset_battle_dispose_enemies, :dispose_enemies
  alias_method :djfl_hpbars_spriteset_battle_update_enemies, :update_enemies
  # * Create Enemy Sprite
  def create_enemies
    djfl_hpbars_spriteset_battle_create_enemies
    @enemy_hpbars = []
    @enemy_sprites.each { |enemy|
      @enemy_hpbars << Enemy_HPBar.new(@viewport1, enemy)
    }
  end
  # * Dispose of Enemy Sprite
  def dispose_enemies
    djfl_hpbars_spriteset_battle_dispose_enemies
    @enemy_hpbars.each { |enemy_hp| enemy_hp.dispose }
  end
  # * Update Enemy Sprite
  def update_enemies
    djfl_hpbars_spriteset_battle_update_enemies
    @enemy_hpbars.each { |enemy_hp| enemy_hp.update }
  end
end

--------------------

+Quote Post

Cyl
post Jan 2 2011, 06:13 AM
Post #16

inactive.
Group Icon

Creating an MP Regeneration Feature using events is pretty easy.

Create a Parallel Process Common Event and then add this inside:
CODE
Conditional Branch: Down Key is being pressed
- Control Variables: [Mana Counter] += 1
Branch End
Conditional Branch: Left Key is being pressed
Branch End
Conditional Branch: Right Key is being pressed
Branch End
Conditional Branch: Up Key is being pressed
Branch End
Conditional Branch: [Mana Counter] >= 1000     # Note 1
- Change MP: +5, Whole Party
Branch End

Note 1: Can be any number, but make it large because [Mana Counter] will increase by one every frame the player presses the arrow keys. The average keypress lasts for about 4 frames.

As for the other issue, if you are using the default battle system with no add ons attached, I suggest replace it with YERD Scene_Battle ReDux. It's almost a plug and play script and you won't have a hard time customizing it.

--------------------
One word:
Paradichlorobenzene

(Currently inactive)

+Quote Post

kirinelf
post Jan 2 2011, 06:20 AM
Post #17

The Fallen Angel
Group Icon

Wouldn't that make it so regeneration can happen even if you're walking into a wall? IceDragon made a script for me here that uses the step counter itself to recover MP. There're two problems with it: I think it won't work properly if you try to modify the step counter in any way, and I'm not sure if there's a hard coded limit for steps taken. If there is, once it hits the limit, you won't be recovering MP anymore.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Cyl
post Jan 2 2011, 06:23 AM
Post #18

inactive.
Group Icon

Well, it can also check if you actually moved from your spot. It's just way to complicated to do it with just text and without a proper demo.

--------------------
One word:
Paradichlorobenzene

(Currently inactive)

+Quote Post

kirinelf
post Jan 2 2011, 06:37 AM
Post #19

The Fallen Angel
Group Icon

Yeah, I knew about that. You'll need to store current and new X and Y variables, then subtract the old from the new and if the difference is 1 or more, then carry out the regen. But meh. IceDragon's script is easier. xD

--------------------

+Quote Post

Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd July 2014 - 02:41 PM

RPGMakerVX.net is an Privacy Policy, Legal.