iPhone App Directory
RPG Maker VX

Gallery Members Search Calendar Help

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Collapse

>Announcement

Keep an eye out for the upcoming 3rd Quarter Contest!

> Note for Early Project Feedback Threads

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Luigi's Adventure: Divide and Conquer, Some positions still available! See my last post!
RECKENEFIN
post Jan 31 2010, 01:36 AM
Post #1

The smallest seed of an idea can grow to define or destroy you.
Group Icon

Type: Undisclosed
Alignment: Lawful Good

I originally posted this over in the recruitment forum, but after careful consideration, I decided I'd rather try and do as much of this on my own as possible. I guess it'll feel more satisfying that way. Anyway, this is all basically the same stuff that was in the original post, with a few things added toward the end.

Inspiration:
Spoiler:

I don't know why I like Luigi. It could be because he's tall (like me); it could be because he wears green (my favorite color). Regardless, the fact remains that Luigi is my favorite character in Mario continuity. The thought occurred to me one day that Luigi has never had his own adventure. "Luigi's Mansion" doesn't count; he was stuck in a haunted house scared out of his wits. None of the games where you play as Mario AND/OR him count (although the M&L Series and Super Paper Mario are a step in the right direction). No, Luigi needs an adventure that is his. He's the main protagonist. He saves the girl. He defeats evil. And since I like RPG's and the style of the M&L Series, I set out on a quest to create a game for him.

Story (Knowledge of past Mario games may be helpful in understanding the plot, but I'll do my best to help you out. May contain spoilers from past games.):
Spoiler:

Luigi is doing what he does most of the time: watching the house while his brother, Mario, is off battling Bowser. When Toad drops by with a message from Princess Daisy about a cake for Mario, Luigi offers to go pick it up for him. When he arrives at Daisy's Castle, however, he discovers that it's a trap set by none other than Dimentio, the evil magician whose game was ended during the events of "Super Paper Mario" . . . or so they thought. He's holding Daisy hostage and has taken over her castle to proceed with his schemes. To prevent Luigi from interfering with his plans for revenge, he blasts him to a distant place.

He lands unconscious on Starry Hill (not to be confused with Star Hill) where Twink (a Star Spirit in training) and Rosalina (an expert on all things "star" and Twink's teacher) discover him. In a bright flash of light, Luigi splits into three versions of himself: Luigi, his dark-side alter ego Mr. L., and an over-cowardly version of himself whom Mr. L. later dubs "Squeegee" (Squeamish Luigi).

After they come to and Rosalina gets a handle on the situation, they're all off to Star Haven, where things are even worse than originally thought. Dimentio has stolen the Dark Crystal Star, a container designed to store all of the negative energy from selfish and evil wishes. The only possible way to cancel its power is to find the scattered and long-forgotten pieces of the legendary Star Stone, the first shooting star ever to be wished upon.

With Mario preoccupied with Bowser and Luigi now directly involved in the situation, it's up to the man in green to recover the scattered fragments and save the day! With the help of Twink (as his final test for Star Spirit status) and Mr. L. and Squeegee (because they have no choice), this is bound to be Luigi's biggest adventure yet!

World:
Spoiler:
It's the Carbona Kingdom. This land is distant from both the Mushroom Kingdom and Sarassaland. It is largely uninhabited by civilization, but certainly not void of monsters (what fun would that be tongue.gif). In Star Haven, there are 5 doors. Each has been sealed for longer than anyone can remember. Each one leads to the location of one of the scattered Star Stone pieces, and each door can only be opened if one is in possession of the piece found in the previous door (except the first one, because there is no previous door). These doors lead to five locations:
Starry Hill: it's a hill . . . in the stars. Every region needs a way to reach the stars in Star Haven, and this mountain is the Carbona Kingdom's path. You actually start your adventure here, but it still holds a shard.

Sarsparilla Sea: It's the ocean. You're at the bottom of it. Finding the shard shouldn't be too difficult . . . unless someone else has already found it.

Root Beer Rainforest: a dense jungle. The mists hold many secrets, but where does it hide the third shard?

Cola Canyon: a rocky region with many pits and caves. Finding the shard will be like finding a needle in a haystack . . . only with rocks.

Float Forest: a dark, creepy forest area. Luigi thought he had escaped the haunted mansion routine; he was wrong.

Once the five fragments have been found, it's time to take on Dimentio at his fortress in the dark sky.

Characters:
Spoiler:

Luigi, Mr. L., & Squeegee: Luigi is the younger brother of Mario. Usually playing second string during the adventures, he longs to have one of his own. On the adventure in Flipside, he was actually turned into the villainous Mr. L. by Count Bleck. Fearless and self-serving, Mr. L. had a knack for technology and a thirst for battle. He remained dormant in Luigi's subconscious until the personality split. In the need for universal balance, the release of Mr. L. also created his polar opposite: Squeegee, being Mr. L.'s opposite, has a desire to help those in need, but is hindered by an extreme amount of fear. Can Luigi find balance between his inner demons, both inside and out?

Twink: an adventurous star kid with big dreams. After helping defeat Bowser in the events of "Paper Mario", Twink began the training process to become a full-ranked Star Spirit. His desire to his best in everything and his willingness to help are his greatest assets. He does have a slight tendency to be rush into things without thinking, but when the cards are on the table, there's no one more reliable. Now presented with the "final exam" of helping Luigi save the world, Twink's dreams are within reach. His real desire, however, truly is to help Luigi succeed on his quest.

Dimentio: the evil manipulator of time and space. It was presumed that his game was over after the events of "Super Paper Mario", but, when he absorbed the energy of the Chaos Heart, he received enough points to continue his game. Comparable to Heath Ledger's Joker (just in personality, not necessarily in total awesomeness), Dimentio has some backwards priorities, believing that chaos is order, for one. Now, with the ultimate power of darkness in his possession and Mario completely distracted, nothing can stop him from destroying all of existence and reshaping it to fit his own vision of a perfect world.

Screenshots

Spoiler:

And some screenshots of the battle system in progress.

REALLY Short Demo:

Click here to download a minutely large demo than last time!
NOTE: I'm pretty sure you'll need to install the included font from the "Fonts" folder.

I also threw together a support bar, just because I could (and I was bored wink.gif ):

Spoiler:
CODE
[url="http://www.rpgmakervx.net/index.php?showtopic=26232"][img]http://img688.imageshack.us/img688/4947/luigissupportbar.png[/img][/url]

So, that's about it. Comments are always appreciated, and I'll generally take any criticism in a positive manner (unless I'm having a REALLY bad day, but even then, I'll probably get over it). I'll try and keep the demo up-to-date as I get more done. So enjoy!

This post has been edited by RECKENEFIN: Sep 28 2010, 02:49 AM

--------------------

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Omegas7
post Feb 2 2010, 12:40 AM
Post #2

stai sprecando il tuo tempo
Group Icon

Type: Coder
Alignment: Chaotic Evil

Nice demo there wink.gif!

I am a great fan of Mario&Luigi and Paper Mario series, and was glad to see you used these graphics smile.gif.
I always loved Dimentio XD, didn't want his game over =/...

Looking forward yer game, I always wanted to make a fan Mario&Luigi game as well ohmy.gif.

Edit: Though I would still recommend a few screenshots =/...

This post has been edited by Omegas7: Feb 2 2010, 04:38 AM

--------------------
Chooo Chooo

+Quote Post

RikuCotton
post Feb 2 2010, 06:57 PM
Post #3

Group Icon

um, I'm making a game called luigi's adventure, that's all it's called, you won't get mad with that title will you/

+Quote Post

RECKENEFIN
post Feb 2 2010, 07:10 PM
Post #4

Group Icon

Not at all! My subtitle should set them apart, and I'm assuming we have different story lines. "Luigi's Adventure" just seems like the best title for a Luigi fangame because . . . well . . . he hasn't really had one yet. So, yeah, I'm cool with it. Be sure to let me know when you've got a demo together! wink.gif

This post has been edited by RECKENEFIN: Feb 2 2010, 07:24 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post

Ihsorak
post Feb 2 2010, 11:54 PM
Post #5

Extinct Species
Group Icon

Type: Spriter
Alignment: Chaotic Good

This is beautiful so far! You and your crew should keep up the work!

I always liked Luigi, even more than Mario and the rest of the characters in his series, and now you go and make a whole fan-game dedicated to Weegee!
It was disappointing when the demo ended, because it was so good!

Please continue! smile.gif

Edit: I also noticed you were having trouble with the "code" box holding the code for the user-bar. Use the "code" code instead of the "codebox" code in order to rid the bar of its silly tendency to want to turn into its natural user-bar self! You won't need to insert quotation marks.

Example:
Spoiler:
Code:
CODE
[URL=http://img688.imageshack.us/i/luigissupportbar.png/][IMG]http://img688.imageshack.us/img688/4947/luigissupportbar.png[/IMG][/URL]

Codebox:
CODE

This post has been edited by Ihsorak: Feb 3 2010, 12:01 AM

--------------------
My Current Games!
&
Huge supporter of:

+Quote Post

mnMetal
post Feb 3 2010, 02:12 AM
Post #6

Group Icon

Alignment: Unaligned

QUOTE (RECKENEFIN @ Feb 2 2010, 01:10 PM) *
"Luigi's Adventure" just seems like the best title for a Luigi fangame because . . . well . . . he hasn't really had one yet.

Hey! Mario gave him "Mario's Missing!" and... "Luigi's Mansion."
Damn that Luigi, never satisfied.
By the way, downloading demo.

EDIT: I love it so far. Great music, great graphics, interesting story and cameos. I can't wait to see where this goes.
By the way: did you make the graphics yourself, or find them/had someone make them for you?

This post has been edited by mnMetal: Feb 3 2010, 02:26 AM

+Quote Post

RECKENEFIN
post Feb 3 2010, 03:26 AM
Post #7

Group Icon

QUOTE (mnMetal @ Feb 2 2010, 09:12 PM) *
Hey! Mario gave him "Mario's Missing!" and... "Luigi's Mansion."

I don't count those two. Both of those games, he's saving Mario. While this does exemplify the strong family ties and loyalty of Luigi, it still doesn't solve the fact that, unless you beat player one to the end of the original Mario games, Luigi never saved a princess. Just seems slightly unfair to me, but that's just my opinion.

As for the graphics, I got the (few) sprites and tilesets from MFGG & Spriter's Resource and did some recoloring on a few. The faces were made by Nintendrawer on deviantart. And I made the title and windowskin background (not exactly the most complicated things, but still). I did make the Dimentio sprite, but that was heavily based off of a battle-view sprite done by someone else (I mean really heavily).

To everyone else, I'm going to try and keep the production moving along. I might hit some snags when I need some custom sprites, but once those are out of the way, it's just a matter of putting it all together. Thanks for the feedback! I really appreciate it! laugh.gif

@Ihsorak: Thanks for pointing that out! I was wondering why it was doing that. Never really posted up a support bar before. tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

catcat
post Feb 4 2010, 01:46 AM
Post #8

a human cat hybrid
Group Icon

Type: Artist

This is really good RECKENEFIN I really enjoyed the opening scene, it clearly was a true reminiscence of a mario game opening biggrin.gif
Really cool demo I enjoyed it alots biggrin.gif
Remember all us luigi fans gotta stick together!

This post has been edited by catcat: Feb 4 2010, 01:48 AM

--------------------
I proudly support:

+Quote Post

Kyle?
post Feb 4 2010, 07:47 AM
Post #9

Psi My Faveroute Letter!
Group Icon

Type: Writer

Very Nice Game
The Demo May Be Short But It Shows Off Alot Of The Game
And I Like The Idea
And Luigi Only Had 2 Games About Him
And Sqeeque Funny Name

--------------------

Spoiler:

I SUPPORT:
Spoiler:

MY AWARD(S):
Spoiler:

MY PROJECTS:
Spoiler:

The Return: The Elements - 1.0%

FIGHT THIS NAO!
http://kinghax.mybrute.com

JOIN THESE NAO!
Spoiler:

+Quote Post

Kumi
post Feb 4 2010, 04:04 PM
Post #10

Wannabe Goddess
Group Icon

Type: Artist

The game looks really good so far! It's nice to see Luigi as the main character (I don't count "Mario's Missing" or "Luigi's Mansion" either).

--------------------

+Quote Post

RECKENEFIN
post Feb 4 2010, 11:24 PM
Post #11

Group Icon

QUOTE (catcat @ Feb 3 2010, 08:46 PM) *
Remember all us luigi fans gotta stick together!

Amen to that! laugh.gif

Just a quick note for all who might not have noticed, I switched the support bar code to link back here. The former one linked to the image, which wasn't what I wanted to do. Just for your own knowledge.

I'll update the demo once I'm done setting up the battle system. There's a lot of script to sort through, but it'll help me out in the end if I know what I'm doing.

--------------------

+Quote Post

nigromante
post Feb 6 2010, 07:23 AM
Post #12

Evil Regular
Group Icon

Alignment: Chaotic Neutral

Hmm...I liked the intro, but some of the maps seemed quite empty. I strongly suggest you make the Luigi sprite bigger (as well as the tilesets).

+Quote Post

RECKENEFIN
post Feb 6 2010, 02:32 PM
Post #13

Group Icon

Yeah, I was thinking that a little too, but those are the actual sizes of everything. I know I can make the sprites bigger, but aren't the tilesets limited as to how big they can be?

--------------------

+Quote Post

Avalon
post Feb 6 2010, 03:25 PM
Post #14

Group Icon

Just remember, Nintendo have a habit of filing a C&D against everyone ;_;.

--------------------
Avapi - Indie Games Development (PC/PS3/PSP).
Currently hiring, both paid and volunteer. Check out http://avapi.eu for more information.

+Quote Post

RECKENEFIN
post Feb 6 2010, 03:30 PM
Post #15

Group Icon

Noted, but I have seen other games much more well-known than mine out there that haven't gotten hit yet. Still, thanks for the reminder.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Avalon
post Feb 6 2010, 03:31 PM
Post #16

Group Icon

I've also seen games on a small scale such as this one being proverbially bitch slapped by the long arm of Nintendo.

--------------------
Avapi - Indie Games Development (PC/PS3/PSP).
Currently hiring, both paid and volunteer. Check out http://avapi.eu for more information.

+Quote Post

RECKENEFIN
post Feb 6 2010, 04:01 PM
Post #17

Group Icon

Well, if I get a C&D notice, I'll . . . well . . . cease and desist. I'm pretty sure this falls under fair use though. Not commercial, criticizing the fact that Luigi hasn't had a decent game, etc.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Epic Ancient
post Feb 6 2010, 04:03 PM
Post #18

If it's a choice between life and death, I pick Purgatory.
Group Icon

Alignment: Lawful Neutral

Great Demo, for sure. happy.gif

I liked the majority of it. Though, your facesets could be worked on a little... The random white outline throws the quality off big time.

I can attempt to do it for you, if you wish.

--------------------
IQ: 134 - According to a professional, paid-for quiz.

Cheating is Valued - Community Game!

My Signature:
Spoiler:

My Resources:
Tutorials
Spoiler:
Click here to learn how to create a battle outside of an actual battle!

Click here to learn how to change your Game.exe, or any other program's, Icon!

Click here to learn how to remove the Enemy Alphabetical Naming System from Battles!

Click here to learn how to add more title menu options!

Click here to learn how to make a transformation occur when equipping any items!

Click here to learn how to make a fully evented Summoning/Pet system!

Projects/Games:
Spoiler:

The Ultimate Puzzle
Progress: 49%
The Ultimate Puzzle Dev. Topic! Click itttttttttttttt. :]

Legacy of The Furry & Land of The Animals game links broken; cannot be replaced. Sorry.

Supportnessness:
Spoiler:

Free Web Hosting:
Spoiler:

Thanks Pine for directing me to this awesome hosting site.

I dare you to look inside.
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

+Quote Post

RECKENEFIN
post Feb 6 2010, 04:14 PM
Post #19

Group Icon

QUOTE (Epic Ancient @ Feb 6 2010, 11:03 AM) *
Great Demo, for sure. happy.gif

I liked the majority of it. Though, your facesets could be worked on a little... The random white outline throws the quality off big time.

I can attempt to do it for you, if you wish.

I might just have to take you up on that. I tried to get rid of those lines, but I always ended up making it looks worse. I'll PM you with links . . . as soon as I get some links.

And, as a shout out to everyone, if anyone is interested in lending a hand with tilesets, I'd appreciate it. Scripting and eventing are technical things that I can handle, but tilesets are beyond my limited artistic abilities. It might be handy to have more than just a Tile_E to work with happy.gif

Also, I updated the demo. Now you can move to another map from the top right corner. There's nothing there, but it's progress!

This post has been edited by RECKENEFIN: Feb 7 2010, 01:24 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post

xXCronoXx
post Feb 8 2010, 08:50 PM
Post #20

Can you feel it?
Group Icon

Type: Designer
Alignment: Chaotic Good

Excellent! My brother and I think the start of this is amazing, and I don't like the Mario series very much. Can I make one teeny-tiny suggestion?

You should make Mario the backup character. That would be so wacky. Like, Luigi will still be the main, but Mario kinda follows him around and let's Luigi take charge. Making Mario go somewhere else still makes Luigi seem like less of a man, like Mario would be doing this adventure, were he there.

--------------------
It has moved. SOIL is my power! The SOIL Charge Triad to use on you has been decided!

+Quote Post

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th July 2014 - 11:51 AM

RPGMakerVX.net is an Privacy Policy, Legal.