iPhone App Directory
RPG Maker VX

Gallery Members Search Calendar Help

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Collapse

>Announcement

Keep an eye out for the upcoming 3rd Quarter Contest!
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Post your dead projects!, Honor those projects you tossed away...
Dark Gaia
post Feb 23 2010, 09:25 AM
Post #1

Group Icon

Type: Designer

Yeah... We've all done it... We've all started projects which were tossed by the wayside in order to make way for something bigger and better. Most never leave the planning stage but a few get decent work in before they're tossed away. Let's honor the fallen today and post any screenshots you may have of your cancelled projects, with a brief description about them. I'd be interested to hear about the projects people tossed away.

I'll start with mine:

One Night Isolation (AKA One Night 1.5)

The original One Night was what I would say quite a successful horror game, remaining even today the most well recieved of my projects. I had intended it to be a once off game but some players were bugging me with requests for a sequel, so I started one, which was named One Night: Isolation.

It was going well... It was a direct sequel to the first game and expanded on the idea of "merges" featured in that game's storyline but when I reached about 60% completion, I realised something; the main draw of the original game was solving the mystery of what had happened and Isolation did not offer this, its story involving pretty much the same events of the first game merely in a different location.

Thus, I restarted. With most of the same characters and some of the same maps being used, I knocked up The Beyond instead.

Chaos Genesis: Paradoxical Political Drama

With its name somewhat inspired by Phylomortis 2, Chaos Genesis was a futuristic themed J-RPG about a maniacal dictator who had come from the future to create a world war by starting conflict between two of the world's great nations. The twist was that the villain was in fact a future version of the protagonist, who defeats him and lives on knowing that in order to preserve the time stream he must one day go back and become his own nemesis.

This was about 20% into development, then a hard drive crash utterly erased every data file it was contained in.

Fated Genesis

Fated Genesis was a side project I had worked on alongside Chaos Genesis, and it was a psuedo spin off of that game which although taking place in an alternate world and having an independent storyline linked in heavily with Chaos.

It was actually a nifty little project. It had a completely custom menu system, and a fully functioning real time battle system too. The story was about a time traveller called Sameal who took it upon himself to change history to suit his own personal liking.

Again, this was wiped out in a hard drive crash in 2008.

--------------------
Click the images below to play my games! All of them are fully complete!

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

wltr3565
post Feb 23 2010, 12:00 PM
Post #2

The best BAKA ever
Group Icon

Type: Undisclosed
Alignment: True Neutral

Hahaha, great idea here, Dark Gaia. *is shot*. This is our dead project's graveyard sad.gif.

R.I.P.(Rest In Pause)

- Winds of Time
An XP project of mine. It's just crappily made, and I got hooked to VX. Hence, this one's dead.

- Fantasy Maker
Another XP project of mine. It's just almost crappily made, and I got hooked to VX. Hence, this one's dead, again.

- Untitled VX project
A.K.A. Chronicling: Adventure the first. It volunteered me so I can script in the first place, for Tankentai. Doh, thanks to a nasty fake antivirus this one's a goner!

- Chronicling: Adventure (Project C:A)
The real first Project C of mine. Hahaha, I already balanced it pretty hard, and with the evented card battle minigame as well. I organized the game to be a quest based JRPG, character relations, etc, etc, but, some flames and my time loss (Thanks to that damned decla and one anonymous lurker! mad.gif Did I met that anonymous lurker twice? They just flame my mapping...) made me felt down of my mapping, and deleted all of my maps and... it ended up forgotten sad.gif. But without this, I won't be driven to script, and I wouldn't have done the ability system script + this game.

--------------------
This place is empty, just like I restarted myself.

+Quote Post

Peva
post Feb 23 2010, 12:37 PM
Post #3

Also racism
Group Icon

Alignment: Neutral Good

R.I.P.

Wandering Warrior
A young warrior quest to travel from forest island, to marsh island, then to smog islands, collecting the forest orb, marsh orb, and smog orb. Then travel to the trial isle and defeat Kujue, master of the elements.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Dark Gaia
post Feb 24 2010, 05:19 AM
Post #4

Group Icon

Remember, if you have any old screens tucked away on your hard drive somewhere, put them up so we can see exactly what you put on the backburner lol. Maybe we could even put up playable versions we might still have as well?

--------------------

+Quote Post

Mihli
post Feb 24 2010, 06:00 AM
Post #5

Eventing deals 999 damage~
Group Icon

Type: Coder
Alignment: Neutral Good

Better yet, I have videos lol

The video above, I was going to do a Lufia game for my friend but lost interest after the first 2 bosses. No storyline~

Wings of Eternia (Version 1)

This was the old version of Wings of Eternia before I switched it over to my own battle system~ I actually liked this version, until I killed it off with this:

Pretty much you could play on two sides of the story as either Felius or Mihli. Mihli was pretty much joining a guild and learning how to be an esper user. That's as far as I got until I dropped it and remade it.

Some projects were just ment to die ._.

+Quote Post

Dark Gaia
post Feb 25 2010, 06:39 AM
Post #6

Group Icon

I normally try to finish my projects in some form or another but unfortunately hard drive crashes can be a bitch.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Yojimbo
post Feb 25 2010, 07:41 PM
Post #7

Activate interlocks! Dynotherms connected!
Group Icon

Alignment: Chaotic Good

Eternal Dawn
RPG Maker 2000
Synopsis
Spoiler:
You are Black Dawn, the once terrifying pirate captain who died at the hands of the empire. During your stay in the underworld, you find all goes awry and are given a chance to escape! Upon your reentry into the real world, you are set upon avenging yourself by slaying the empress, the one responsible for putting you to death. However, during your journey, you find that your quest for vengeance becomes one of atonement for past transgressions. Still, you get to slay the empress because she's a bad guy anyway! Bonus!

I just couldn't fill in all the gaping plot-holes for this one. I even almost pulled the whole bad guy reviving an evil demon god thing once. Bad choices.

Legend of the Dragoncrest
RPG Maker 2003
Synopsis
Spoiler:
Altus Fulbright and the chosen of Bahamut must unite to defeat the evil Seilus, the human incarnation of the dark dragon, before he finds the legendary Dragon Crest and revives the dread goddess Tiamat.

Personally, I really loved developing this game. Sure, it was terribly cliche; you had to hunt down and ally yourself with the human incarnations of the four sacred dragons then foil the villain's scheme before he revived the dragon goddess. Alas, despite your sterling efforts he revives her anyway! Gasp! Too many elements of Final Fantasy and Lunar Silver Star Story but it was still a guilty pleasure of mine. Somehow it got deleted in the move from my mom's house seven years ago. Huge regret, not because the story was great or anything but because it was the only game I actually finished. I tried to recreate it a couple of years ago but my wife deleted it from the zip drive. Man, I must be really disorganized.

There's quite a few others but they barely get past the prologue stage. Sadly, I'm so much of a perfectionist anymore that my games will forever be trapped in development hell. Heh, heh.

+Quote Post

Astel
post Feb 25 2010, 10:00 PM
Post #8

Elitists of the world, beware.
Group Icon

Type: Writer
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral

My projects never die, just get into coma for years.

--------------------
Under Construction

+Quote Post

yoshi71089
post Feb 25 2010, 10:09 PM
Post #9

Professional Procrastinator
Group Icon

Alignment: Lawful Good

R.I.P. (More like good riddance):

The Epic of Rorsha

This game was the first game I started making when I bought VX, and started out as a spoof of a group of my friends in college. Basically, the protagonist Josiah wakes up in the barracks (a spoof of our dorms), and finds out that a dragon has attacked their town, and eventually it becomes his job to defeat the dragon.

Technically I'm still working on this game, but the only thing that still exists from it is the basic layout of the town and some of the characters. I've completely revamped the storyline, the name, the tileset, and basically de-noobified it. This game was fun at first, when I was using it to get a feel for the system, but I grew tired of it when I became more committed to making the game, and realized how generic it actually was.

The barracks, or dorms.

Evidence of my terrible VX mapping; supposed to be a church.

The graveyard, with the dragon flying overhead. Probably my best work from this game.

Fighting the dragon in the church; notice the size difference lol.

And seriously, Rorsha? It's not even pronounceable. And I don't know what I was thinking about the main character's color scheme.

EDIT: Fixed the image links, whoops.

This post has been edited by yoshi71089: Feb 25 2010, 10:13 PM

--------------------

--------------------

+Quote Post

Avadan
post Feb 26 2010, 01:17 AM
Post #10

Group Icon

Alignment: Unaligned

I got lots of canceled projects xD

This is the one the I miss the most working on

A sequel of a XP project (Wich is my favorite game I have done), It was called "Sleepers", the story just got to similar to Persone 3 and 4 so i'm letting it "sleep" a while xD

--------------------

+Quote Post

Rixis
post Feb 26 2010, 01:27 AM
Post #11

Group Icon

Those are some nice resources Avandan, what are they from? smile.gif

--------------------
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I am your Goddess and you worship me then put this userbar in your sig :D!
-------------You must obey! @_@------------

Other stuff you SHOULD look at :].....Obey @_@!!!!!

Spoiler:
------------My current project-----------------

--------------Projects I'm looking forward to----------

+Quote Post

Avadan
post Feb 26 2010, 01:31 AM
Post #12

Group Icon

Characters are editet from snk/capcom neo geo pocket games
Backgrounds are a mix of snes rips and vx walls and tiles but with perspective

--------------------

+Quote Post

Rixis
post Feb 26 2010, 01:35 AM
Post #13

Group Icon

QUOTE (Avadan @ Feb 25 2010, 08:31 PM) *
Characters are editet from snk/capcom neo geo pocket games
Backgrounds are a mix of snes rips and vx walls and tiles but with perspective

Thats a nice combination of resources, looks very unique...though looks like something you should try continuing making with Indie game maker since it has more of an action game feel. Though that screenshot with all the fog makes me quite interested in the story. I think the whole project looks very unique. Just to bad you say it sounded like something far to similar to persona.

--------------------
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Spoiler:

+Quote Post

Avadan
post Feb 26 2010, 01:42 AM
Post #14

Group Icon

I still play the xp version sometimes xD
Modern set games are always fun to play

http://www.rpgmakervx.net/index.php?showtopic=13250

This post has been edited by Avadan: Feb 26 2010, 01:44 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post

Rixis
post Feb 26 2010, 01:46 AM
Post #15

Group Icon

QUOTE (Avadan @ Feb 25 2010, 08:42 PM) *
I still play the xp version sometimes xD
Modern set games are always fun to play

Oh yeah I agree for sure, I love modern games since they are typically scarce they usually have a pretty decent story line as long as its not set in japan and such lol(then it jsut end up being a bunch of teenagers with powers or something).

Id love to play the XP version sometime happy.gif

--------------------

Spoiler:

+Quote Post

Thrillhouse
post Feb 26 2010, 01:56 AM
Post #16

8-bit hero
Group Icon

QUOTE (Mihli @ Feb 24 2010, 06:00 AM) *
Better yet, I have videos lol...Some projects were just ment to die ._.

Nice vids. I liked the battle system in the first and the movement on the map in the second. I thought about trying this before so it was interesting to see it in another game. The third one reminds me of silent hill and scared me.

QUOTE (yoshi71089 @ Feb 25 2010, 10:09 PM) *
R.I.P. (More like good riddance):

Cool idea with the flying dragon's shadow.

QUOTE (Avadan @ Feb 26 2010, 01:17 AM) *
I got lots of canceled projects xD

Neat game. Looks like River City Ransom.

--------------------

RMVX CIVIL WAR - VX LIBRE!

+Quote Post

Andinatοr
post Feb 26 2010, 01:57 AM
Post #17

Laziest Artist NA
Group Icon

Type: Artist

R.I.P. (resigned in pleasure)

Centurion

--------------------

+Quote Post

Ihsorak
post Feb 27 2010, 01:09 AM
Post #18

Extinct Species
Group Icon

Type: Spriter

Karoshi Chronicles
It turned out to be a badly evented, poorly made (complete with trashy sprites), hard to follow movie of the original Karoshi Comics and books when it was meant to be an interactive game. sleep.gif

Of course, that was years ago! biggrin.gif

--------------------
My Current Games!
&
Huge supporter of:

+Quote Post

Dark Gaia
post Feb 27 2010, 01:53 AM
Post #19

Group Icon

Of course the best part of moving on to biggger and better projects is that you grow as a maker...

--------------------

+Quote Post

Rene Aramis
post Feb 27 2010, 02:26 AM
Post #20

Group Icon

R.I.P.
Tales of the Brothers.

I was originally using XP, trying hard to make my own game way back in 2005, or 2006, I don't know when it came out. xD
Its a story about my persona online, along with my two other brothers. One of which is a member on this forum.

But I got fustrated, simply because I was trying to get XP to do things that its not able to do. Drove me right up the wall.
So I took the storyline and the game, and scrapped it. After hearing about VX, I thought I'd give it another try.
So far, its working great. So heres to hoping I can finish it this time. ;D

--------------------
I'm remaking my first RPG. Lets hope I can finish it this time.

Childhood Memories
Chapter One - 13% Done
Overall - 6% Done

I support

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th August 2014 - 02:13 AM

RPGMakerVX.net is an Privacy Policy, Legal.