iPhone App Directory
RPG Maker VX

Gallery Members Search Calendar Help

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Collapse

>Announcement

Keep an eye out for the upcoming 3rd Quarter Contest!

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Mark333's RTP Mapping Resources, Graphics to expand the limits of RTP mapping
Rating 5 V
mark333
post Jul 8 2010, 07:07 PM
Post #1

Group Icon

Type: Designer
Alignment: Neutral Good

Welcome

Thanks for checking out my resource thread. I have done several edits of RTP tiles to increase the limits of mapping while still maintaining the RTP style. I hope you find some of them useful, and I highly recommend using them whenever possible. Credit isn't needed unless specified, as these are relatively easy edits.

Overlapping Trees

These are the three basic RTP trees, except offset for use in clumps or forest when you don't want to have them fall into rows.

How to use: The same technique as the Mack overlapping trees. Use the 4X4 dense tree clump and cover what you want with it, then fix the edges by completing the trees using the provided tiles. These graphics must be placed into TileB, C, D or E for use. Not meant to be used as character files. They are included in a downloadable TileE set at the end of the post. Must be named "TileE" for import to work.

Example:
Spoiler:

Shaded Indoor Stairs

I always thought that in order to make the player think that stairs were leading up to another unseen floor, they needed to fade near the top. So I decided to fix them by adding a shadow.

How to use: Replace the topmost part of the stairs in a house using the matching shaded tile. These graphics must be placed into TileB, C, D or E for use. Not meant to be used as character files. They are included in a downloadable TileE set at the end of the post. Must be named "TileE" for import to work.

Example:
Spoiler:

Recoloured Curtains and Beds

I always thought that magenta and sky blue were awful colours for curtains in wooden houses. And why is the only real bed bright pink? I got tired of these few essential tiles ruining my houses, so I toned them down and now I offer you three colours of each. Also, I've raised the beds a half-tile. This makes them look like they're actually against the wall instead of a foot away for some reason.

How to use: Place anywhere for instantly suave interiors. These graphics must be placed into TileB, C, D or E for use. Not meant to be used as character files. They are included in a downloadable TileE set at the end of the post. Must be named "TileE" for import to work.

Cave Overpasses

From a tutorial I did on dungeon mapping. These make it possible to pass under a hole in a cave wall. Only two types have been completed so far. There is also a cracked version of the wall for use in a bomb-type scenario where the hole must be blown open first. I'll leave that to you, but I'll include some basic instructions for now.

How to use: The image must be saved as a character file. The image name must begin with "!$". If not, the graphic will fail to work correctly. This will only work on a flat wall 1-tile thick and 2-tiles high. Make the wall using the tiles in the map editor. Place the cave opening from TileD over the wall. Select your floor tile, and while holding down shift, clear "ceiling" tile above the wall (see the first picture). Place an event with the character graphic on the bottom half of the wall. Make sure it is set to layer above the player. See the second picture for final product.

Example:
Spoiler:

Notes

Although I'm not taking on requested projects and recruitment jobs, if you have something you've been looking for regarding RTP mapping (even if it's just a problem you find yourself running into), feel free to post about it, as I'm always looking for new things to fix and am open to recommendations. Thanks! Let me know what you think!

-Mark333

Support:

CODE
[url="http://www.rpgmakervx.net/index.php?showtopic=33178"][img]http://i30.tinypic.com/2bsad2.png[/img][/url]

TileE:
Spoiler:

This post has been edited by mark333: Jul 8 2010, 07:24 PM

--------------------

Spoiler:
Spoiler:
"All efforts ought to be directed at the present time to the search for that which we will call ‘inspired simplicity’. The greater the number of those who will dedicate themselves to that, the more will disarray be avoided. —The reason why we have in the last twenty-five years attained the greatest confusion from the creative point of view is that very few composers concentrated their efforts toward this goal, and also because musical creation has relied too much on the unique value of the most unexpected and sometimes least appropriate means of expression to convey the inventive idea."

—Béla Bartók
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Jalen
post Jul 8 2010, 07:16 PM
Post #2

Group Icon

Type: Artist

These are absolutely -absolutely- wonderful! I love little RTP edits like these to break up the monotony of the tiles. Thank you so much for editing them. <3 I'll definitely use and credit once I start my own game.

This post has been edited by Jalen: Jul 8 2010, 07:16 PM

--------------------

Visit my blog for all of my released materials!

+Quote Post

elfosng
post Jul 8 2010, 07:21 PM
Post #3

Chuck Norris.......True American Hero
Group Icon

Alignment: Chaotic Evil

very nice work The tiles look very good and I could definitly use them I like the shaded stairs as well it gives more of an ominous look same with the cave stuff this is some wonderful stuff!

This post has been edited by elfosng: Jul 8 2010, 07:21 PM

--------------------
My website!
I support:

+Quote Post

Guth
post Jul 8 2010, 08:10 PM
Post #4

Stranger than a kitten in a shoe store.
Group Icon

Type: Undisclosed
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral

I realized you missed the palm trees, I was going to make them myself for my beach tiles topic but it fits in here, so I will leave that to you. I probably will be checking back on this thread to see more, and possibly use more of them in my games.

Thanks for the resources!
~Guth

--------------------

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

+Quote Post

mark333
post Jul 8 2010, 08:54 PM
Post #5

Group Icon

You are very right, thanks for reminding me! But do they usually grow in clumps? Whatever the case, this will still prove useful. I'll do some up tonight.

This post has been edited by mark333: Jul 8 2010, 08:54 PM

--------------------

Spoiler:
Spoiler:
"All efforts ought to be directed at the present time to the search for that which we will call ‘inspired simplicity’. The greater the number of those who will dedicate themselves to that, the more will disarray be avoided. —The reason why we have in the last twenty-five years attained the greatest confusion from the creative point of view is that very few composers concentrated their efforts toward this goal, and also because musical creation has relied too much on the unique value of the most unexpected and sometimes least appropriate means of expression to convey the inventive idea."

—Béla Bartók

+Quote Post

Jaide
post Jul 8 2010, 09:03 PM
Post #6

ಠ_ಠ
Group Icon

Type: Writer
Alignment: Chaotic Good

ohmy.gif Yay! Your mapping is always awesome, and these are great edits. I especially love the shaded stairs. That looks far more natural than what's actually in the RTP.

+Quote Post

Lord Bluffkin
post Jul 8 2010, 11:19 PM
Post #7

Group Icon

Alo alo
Would you be able to post your giant dead trees from your Gallery 2 post?

That would be si incroyable

+Quote Post

mark333
post Jul 9 2010, 02:53 AM
Post #8

Group Icon

Those are from the RPG Maker XP tilesets, and unfortunately don't go with any of the RPG Maker VX RTP. Their color is a lot paler and lighter, and trying to get them to match is impossible, even the shading is done very differently. They only look alright in my screenshot because for that project I'm using the RPG Maker XP tilesets for everything, even grass etc., so they blend in well. As this thread is dedicated to RPG Maker VX RTP they would be out of place. Sorry! You can get the maker or search for the tilesets, but the reason no one has mixed the two into a popular set is because it just doesn't look good to mix them.

--------------------

Spoiler:
Spoiler:

—Béla Bartók

+Quote Post

Celianna
post Jul 9 2010, 11:46 AM
Post #9

Group Icon

Alignment: Chaotic Evil

Yeah! Lighter colours are the best, right? =D

It's a great resource to make your game not so ... grid-looking and monotone. You should try doing this with flowers and make them overlap each other so you can have flower fields. I always hated seeing 1 flower per square ... looks pretty bad.

+Quote Post

rexilia
post Jul 10 2010, 03:28 AM
Post #10

Group Icon

Alignment: Unaligned

5 stars.

--------------------

Fear No Evil!

+Quote Post

chorrol
post Jul 10 2010, 09:31 AM
Post #11

Trololo
Group Icon

Alignment: True Neutral

Really nice. But why didn't you include the whole stairs in the TileE?

+Quote Post

Luomu
post Jul 10 2010, 10:44 AM
Post #12

Group Icon

Alignment: Lawful Evil

I love em. Going to use in my game.

--------------------
I support:
Spoiler:

+Quote Post

Guth
post Jul 12 2010, 03:26 AM
Post #13

Stranger than a kitten in a shoe store.
Group Icon

Alignment: Chaotic Neutral

QUOTE (chorrol @ Jul 10 2010, 04:31 AM) *
Really nice. But why didn't you include the whole stairs in the TileE?

It's simply an ad-on. If he all the things needed, that would limit his TileE in a lot of ways. You need to get it from Mack. I recommend using the search option.

--------------------

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

+Quote Post

mark333
post Jul 14 2010, 11:29 AM
Post #14

Group Icon

Oh my you know what, I am so used to using those stairs that I thought they were part of the standard RTP! But since they are Mack, I will probably add the whole stairs to the TileE to save people the trouble.

And I think some multi-flower tiles are in the works for my next update. biggrin.gif

--------------------

Spoiler:
Spoiler:

—Béla Bartók

+Quote Post

Ryan A
post Jul 14 2010, 03:27 PM
Post #15

You make me smile just like this
Group Icon

Type: Musician
Alignment: Unaligned

Zomg o.o These rock, now I can make trees which look clumped happy.gif <3 *Download*

--------------------

+Quote Post

NZ Nathan
post Jul 17 2010, 04:49 AM
Post #16

Group Icon

Type: Spriter
Alignment: True Neutral

These's are sweet! The cave overpass is awesome, and I will be using them, thanks so much!

--------------------
I support:
Spoiler:

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd September 2014 - 03:49 PM

RPGMakerVX.net is an Privacy Policy, Legal.