iPhone App Directory
RPG Maker VX

Gallery Members Search Calendar Help

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Collapse

>Announcement

Keep an eye out for the upcoming 3rd Quarter Contest!

> Note for Tutorial Threads

New threads (tutorials) here will go into a moderation queue. You will not see your thread appear when you create it. A moderator will decide if it will be approved or denied.

Closed TopicStart new topic
> [-Mapping-] Comfy Indoor Maps (Mack Tiles), 1st Tut, Be Critical But Nice ;)
SamGreen
post Jul 25 2010, 03:52 PM
Post #1

Life Is Good.
Group Icon

Type: Designer
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral

SamGreen's Comfy/Small/17*13 Indoor Mapping Tutorial

I've had a couple requests for the tiles so I've put them on mediafire here.

Welcome to my first tutorial, I decided to create one as I've seen way too many indoor maps that are mahoosive and don't actually need to be!

Spoiler:

Okay, so first you want to make the map just the normal 17*13 and draw some roof tiles 2 tiles thick from the side of the walls and add walls 2 tiles high across the top.

Secondly, choose your flooring (go with wooden at first and then add carpets later as shown later)

Now this is the part you big mappers will find hard, crop down your house to a more suitable and "homey" size. Also, don't forget to add a doorway (see screenshot).

This is the size I will use for the tutorial but have a look at the end of tutorial for more sizes and finished houses.

After you've got the size sorted out you can start arranging your other floor tiles, normally one set for the kitchen floor and another for a lounge/dining area.

Now always make sure to add windows before you add the furniture then you can work out when you'll need to use events for mapping clashes!

First add in the kitchen appliances etc making sure to avert clashes, also make sure you have all the necessities for a kitchen such as a cooker/sink/place for plates and cutlery to go etc. If the map's too small then obviously just make it that little bit bigger.

Now add other furnishings such as chairs and stairs (normally I don't make the upstairs accessible but you can map that if you wanted to or I make the map bigger and add a downstairs bed (see screenshots at the end)

Add a fireplace, I normally add a carpet underneath and event the bottom of the fireplace ontop. (I've also added a little picture wink.gif)

All other indoor maps that I was reffering to can be found HERE, check out the second map for a reference to the bedroom being downstairs.

Please tell me what you did or didn't like about the tutorial, or what you think I should do to make it better!
Thanks for looking tongue.gif

This post has been edited by SamGreen: Aug 13 2010, 10:44 PM

--------------------

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Atlantin
post Jul 25 2010, 06:17 PM
Post #2

The Eye of the World
Group Icon

Type: Writer
Alignment: Chaotic Good

nice work! thanks for posting

--------------------
Check out Eye of the World's progress @ emondsfield.wordpress.com

+Quote Post

Guth
post Jul 25 2010, 10:09 PM
Post #3

Stranger than a kitten in a shoe store.
Group Icon

Type: Undisclosed

So that's how you always make nice, comfy homes. Great work!

--------------------

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

+Quote Post

Aquarian Dreams
post Jul 25 2010, 11:01 PM
Post #4

Resident Mermaid
Group Icon

Great tutorial. It really shows how much detail you can have in a very small space. I never really thought about making "small and cute" maps like that, but it's a good way to show the contast between your NPCs' quality of life. This works well for peasant and country homes, while the insides of middle to upper class dwellings could have a little more open space.

+Quote Post

rexilia
post Jul 26 2010, 03:10 AM
Post #5

Group Icon

Alignment: Unaligned

Neat Idea!

--------------------

Fear No Evil!

+Quote Post

SamGreen
post Jul 26 2010, 07:46 AM
Post #6

Life Is Good.
Group Icon

THANKS!!! biggrin.gif
I'm going to add another tutorial showing how to map the village to go with the indoor maps...

This post has been edited by SamGreen1995: Jul 26 2010, 07:47 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post

landis17
post Jul 26 2010, 08:10 AM
Post #7

Yo...I'm back.
Group Icon

You're pretty good with mack tiles, huh?

Btw...you posted this map in the screenshots forum right? Or am I crazy?

+Quote Post

SamGreen
post Jul 26 2010, 08:41 AM
Post #8

Life Is Good.
Group Icon

QUOTE (landis17 @ Jul 26 2010, 09:10 AM) *
You're pretty good with mack tiles, huh?

Btw...you posted this map in the screenshots forum right? Or am I crazy?

You're crazy wink.gif I've posted quite a few maps of the same format but not this one, I used to think I mapped indoors really bad so I posted crap loads of indoor maps only to find people really like the style biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

Isumi
post Jul 27 2010, 12:27 AM
Post #9

Lol
Group Icon

Type: Musician

I can't make map like that.. laugh.gif Thanks for sharing great mapping skill !!
I love your combination of floor tileset, not monotonous.

--------------------
Support Channel I.S.M

My old music shop (Archived, but still downloadable) :

I have composed for :

+Quote Post

Kelranox
post Jun 16 2011, 01:15 AM
Post #10

Dissenter
Group Icon

Alignment: Unaligned

Great Work, though I have two questions:

1. How did you get just one portion of the roof tile showing? IE: The slender wooden bar outlining everything. Is that simply the whole tile?

2. When you decreased the size of the map, how did you allow for the roof tile to connect at the bottom where the door is?

These may be stupid questions but I know nary about mapping in RPG Maker @_@

--------------------

On November 13th, 2009. I was kicked out of the chatroom for using correct grammar. Go figure.

+Quote Post

SamGreen
post Jun 16 2011, 07:00 PM
Post #11

Life Is Good.
Group Icon

I just used the roof tile all the way around although there is a more difficult way to do it, I can't be bothered to tell you but there's a tutorial around somewhere...
Just draw out with the tile the shape mine is XP

--------------------

+Quote Post

nik321
post Sep 7 2011, 07:49 PM
Post #12

Group Icon

How do you make it so the window does not dissapear when you add the top part of cabinet ect?

nvm figured it

This post has been edited by nik321: Sep 7 2011, 09:25 PM

+Quote Post

kingsofrpg
post Sep 8 2011, 04:44 AM
Post #13

Group Icon

Alignment: Chaotic Evil

If I lived in a house that small... I'd tell people I lived in a cardboard box lol. Just messin, it looks pretty good

--------------------
Variable/Game_Interpreter Fix
Spoiler:

Proud Puzzle Maker of "Relic"

CODE
dont_hate_the(player) unless player.is_a?(Game_Enemy)

+Quote Post

Pryde
post Jan 8 2012, 04:21 PM
Post #14

Chancellor of the Capellan Confederation.
Group Icon

The tutorial is great, but with the beginner in mind wouldn't it be better to use only RTP tiles? That would make it much easier for the learner to follow along. People brand-new to RPGM might not even be aware there are tiles beyond the RTP sets and get frustrated trying to make thier house look like the one in the tutorial.

--------------------
OmniMech Bumper Sticker: Some Assembly Required

+Quote Post

Richard Tester
post Sep 12 2012, 12:55 PM
Post #15

Group Icon

the images are gone it really make this tutorial useless so why is it still up? the link in this post says here are the images i am refering too is useless also since the images is not showing up either.

QUOTE (SamGreen1995 @ Jul 25 2010, 08:52 AM) *
SamGreen's Comfy/Small/17*13 Indoor Mapping Tutorial

I've had a couple requests for the tiles so I've put them on mediafire here.

Welcome to my first tutorial, I decided to create one as I've seen way too many indoor maps that are mahoosive and don't actually need to be!

Spoiler:

Okay, so first you want to make the map just the normal 17*13 and draw some roof tiles 2 tiles thick from the side of the walls and add walls 2 tiles high across the top.

Secondly, choose your flooring (go with wooden at first and then add carpets later as shown later)

Now this is the part you big mappers will find hard, crop down your house to a more suitable and "homey" size. Also, don't forget to add a doorway (see screenshot).

This is the size I will use for the tutorial but have a look at the end of tutorial for more sizes and finished houses.

After you've got the size sorted out you can start arranging your other floor tiles, normally one set for the kitchen floor and another for a lounge/dining area.

Now always make sure to add windows before you add the furniture then you can work out when you'll need to use events for mapping clashes!

First add in the kitchen appliances etc making sure to avert clashes, also make sure you have all the necessities for a kitchen such as a cooker/sink/place for plates and cutlery to go etc. If the map's too small then obviously just make it that little bit bigger.

Now add other furnishings such as chairs and stairs (normally I don't make the upstairs accessible but you can map that if you wanted to or I make the map bigger and add a downstairs bed (see screenshots at the end)

Add a fireplace, I normally add a carpet underneath and event the bottom of the fireplace ontop. (I've also added a little picture wink.gif)

All other indoor maps that I was reffering to can be found HERE, check out the second map for a reference to the bedroom being downstairs.

Please tell me what you did or didn't like about the tutorial, or what you think I should do to make it better!
Thanks for looking tongue.gif

+Quote Post

Indra
post Sep 13 2012, 09:37 PM
Post #16

Typo Queen
Group Icon

Necropost and the images are down, so I'm closing this. If the OP wants to reopen the thread PM me.

--------------------
Nowadays I'm in perpetual development hell. Shoot me a PM if you need something.

+Quote Post

Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd July 2014 - 06:10 PM

RPGMakerVX.net is an Privacy Policy, Legal.