iPhone App Directory
RPG Maker VX

Gallery Members Search Calendar Help

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Collapse

>Announcement

Keep an eye out for the upcoming 3rd Quarter Contest!

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Layers, just another take on how they MIGHT work
shaz
post Oct 30 2007, 04:07 AM
Post #1

Group Icon

Type: Coder

from http://www.rpgmakervx.com/

About A~E Tile Sets

A... Land and sea, walls and floors, and all tiles that will be the map's ground.
B... Windows and signs, trees and grass, field-use castles, towers and the like.
C... Stairs, cabinets, beds, and all small, indoor items.
D... Pillars and entrances for caves, statues, and small items for dungeons.
E... Space left empty for the user.

It occurred to me that the A-E tabs on the tilesets might represent layers, or be somewhat linked to layers.

I'm a bit confused that there's a layer button, but no indication whether there are unlimited layers, or as someone suggested you just get a drop-down to select which of the existing 3 layers you want to use.

Don't see buildings in the list there anywhere.

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in this world - those who understand binary, and those who don't
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Harmill
post Oct 30 2007, 06:19 AM
Post #2

Group Icon

Type: Writer

I believe it has already been said that it's supposed to automatically recognize layers. The A-E is just so you can have several different tilesets used on one map.

+Quote Post

Bangvang
post Oct 30 2007, 06:46 AM
Post #3

Group Icon

the A-E thing is like RM95. as it says on the site - layers are automatic.

--------------------

+Quote Post

shaz
post Oct 31 2007, 01:30 AM
Post #4

Group Icon

Doesn't seem to be the case, based on what they've said above:

A is land and sea and ground-type tiles. Does that mean you'd have a single tileset JUST for all those things, or that you could specify multiple tilesets, say which tiles represent ground, and it will import them into tab A automatically? You could do that with extra flags like the terrain and counter and bush flags.

And I'm confused about "automatic layers" - how does it know that you want to place a new object on what's already there, rather than replacing what's already there?

I think things will become clear when it's released and we get to have a play around with it. Anything I say now is only speculation. I'm just too impatient...

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in this world - those who understand binary, and those who don't

+Quote Post

Jumbo
post Nov 1 2007, 08:46 AM
Post #5

Highest and Lowest of all Nigel
Group Icon

Type: Designer

1-"A island and sea and ground-type tiles. Does that mean you'd have a single tileset JUST for all those things, or that you could specify multiple tilesets, say which tiles represent ground, and it will import them into tab A automatically? You could do that with extra flags like the terrain and counter and bush flags."

2-"And I'm confused about "automatic layers" - how does it know that you want to place a new object on what's already there, rather than replacing what's already there?"

1-I think it'll be one single and BIG tileset to all those things.
2-Me too.

--------------------

Hello, I am jumbo!
As you can see, I don't post in RMVX related threads (well, sometimes...).
That's because I don't like VX, I'm staying here just because of some friends I met.
So, you'll only see me in the Fun&Games forum.

+Quote Post

Jaceryl
post Nov 3 2007, 02:50 AM
Post #6

Group Icon

Type: Designer

So far it seems like a hierarchy system, with A being the very bottom, and B~E automatically auto-layering on top of A in accordance to their level in the hierarchy.

A lot of it needs to be seen in-play in order to get a feel for how it works, though.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th July 2014 - 04:19 PM

RPGMakerVX.net is an Privacy Policy, Legal.