iPhone App Directory
RPG Maker VX

Gallery Members Search Calendar Help

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Collapse

>Announcement

The 2nd Quarter Contest has arrived! Go check it out in the Community Announcements now!

> Note for Tutorial Threads

New threads (tutorials) here will go into a moderation queue. You will not see your thread appear when you create it. A moderator will decide if it will be approved or denied.

Closed TopicStart new topic
> [-Mapping-] Desert Towns, I can't make another tutorial if I don't know how this one was
Rating 4 V
More Tutorials.
Should I Make More, and what? Keep in mind , it's Mack tiles.
Dirt Towns [ 3 ] ** [4.55%]
Abandoned Towns [ 16 ] ** [24.24%]
Ruined Towns [ 23 ] ** [34.85%]
Citys (Modernish looking?) [ 23 ] ** [34.85%]
Other - Post Below. [ 1 ] ** [1.52%]
Total Votes: 66

SamGreen
post Aug 24 2010, 08:47 PM
Post #1

Life Is Good.
Group Icon

Type: Designer
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral

Mack Tiles
Doors Chasst (Needed Later On In The Tutorial)
Spoiler:

Okay, so I was asking for tutorial Ideas and Guth said to make one comparing Towns etc, but I'm too lazy to do that so I'm thinking of just making separate tutorials as to how to make different towns (grassy one (Simple Villages) allready been done).
Hope this one's as good as the others smile.gif
Spoiler:
Okay so first you want to make a map wink.gif, I've used a 33Width by 21 Height for the tutorial, but you can make it whatever you like smile.gif and then fill the map in with the sand tiles.

Secondly start to lay out your tiles so that it resembles some sort of a path and don't forget to add small amounts of water, you don't want your town to seem as if they are living without no water as that would be illogical.

Then you want to start adding your houses I would use only the tent looking tiles as desert villages don't usually have wooden or modern looking houses, plus it will make the village look more nomad like.

Now begin top add layers to the house to give depth to the way they live in shanty and random looking houses and little outstanding stall tiles to give it a place for NPCs to seem as if they are getting shade.

Now add the house's details, using the doors chasst to make sure the doors don't look out of place.

Add a market area to show their nomadity a bit more, as well as showing the cliche fact that they are all merchant people.

Detail, is a hard thing to do with these maps as they are desertous and can't really have that much greenery applied to them so you need to think about your placement of tiles. Start by adding greenery such as cactuses etc near the water and fade the plants away making less and less of them as you get further and further away from the water.

TOTALLY OPTIONAL! Depending on where you've came from in your game add a couple of low cliffs if you want to, but think to yourself, if you were going to set up a camp in a desert, would you like the village to be surrounded by means of advantage in battle or just in a plain outskirt somewhere?

The final town.

Thanks for viewing and please vote!

This post has been edited by SamGreen: Aug 27 2010, 11:42 AM

--------------------

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Zorenic
post Aug 27 2010, 12:46 PM
Post #2

Live life
Group Icon

Alignment: Chaotic Good

Love it! It looks really nice!

Great job, SamGreen!

--------------------
[/ post]

+Quote Post

nexy
post Aug 27 2010, 01:31 PM
Post #3

Group Icon

Nice tutorial although some of the details are off. There really should'nt be grass at the doors as it would be worn away by people coming and going. I know it's a bit critical but it's the small details that show the differences between good and great maps.

--------------------

+Quote Post

SamGreen
post Aug 27 2010, 02:05 PM
Post #4

Life Is Good.
Group Icon

Right, thanks I'll keep that in mind smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

Celianna
post Aug 27 2010, 02:27 PM
Post #5

Group Icon

Type: Artist
Alignment: Chaotic Evil

I usually like your mapping tutorials, but this one is really off ... I want you to look at Egypt for a second to see how real desert towns are. See all the towns crowding around the Nile? Yeah. Most likely a desert town is situated near a river, and if not, they're situated next to a huge fucking lake to survive. Little ponds of water would dry up immediately in the desert heat, or they'd be sucked dry by the people living there. Not only that ... vegetation springs up around a source of water, not away from it (I'm talking about your grass).

+Quote Post

SamGreen
post Aug 27 2010, 05:23 PM
Post #6

Life Is Good.
Group Icon

You're so right, this tutorial is really shit tongue.gif
I'll do it over now smile.gif
Thanks for showing me this, I sort of got this completely wrong sad.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

PheonixGames
post Aug 27 2010, 08:54 PM
Post #7

Group Icon

Nice concept since my desert town is near the mountains i really liked the low cliffs idea that will really help out my town thanks! A good tutorial.

--------------------
I support

+Quote Post

Zorenic
post Aug 29 2010, 08:44 AM
Post #8

Live life
Group Icon

Alignment: Chaotic Good

Wow so am i the only one who liked this?
Well Celianna did had a point there.

--------------------
[/ post]

+Quote Post

InkBlot
post Sep 13 2010, 08:34 PM
Post #9

Group Icon

Type: Writer

I'm currently working on a desert town as well and while mine probably won't look too much like this, I found it useful to see how someone else would do it. Whether or not a map looks good is extremely subjective, but despite any criticism you've gotten, the link to the Mack tiles is useful in and of itself so thanks for that!

I'm also curious if you Playtested this because when I used that same tile for my pools of water, I found it to be pulsating, which looked very weird. While this would look good on a beach, I'd have to make a big pump in the water to justify that movement in a desert. I'm thinking I'll have to use the default water tiles to avoid this unless I'm not aware of something.

As a side note, I'd just like to say that I don't think pools of water are bad in a desert. People have been living in the Middle East since the dawn of mankind and there are not enough lakes/rivers for everyone to live by them. That is why man invented the well. I personally am making my water spring up from under the ground to avoid sticking tons of wells on the map. Either way! smile.gif

+Quote Post

newnexus
post Jul 23 2011, 12:57 PM
Post #10

Group Icon

Type: Undisclosed

cool tutorial

and you wanted what to do next maybe try to make a haunted mansion biggrin.gif

+Quote Post

GrandmaDeb
post Jul 23 2011, 01:04 PM
Post #11

Retired
Group Icon

Type: Undisclosed
Alignment: Unaligned

Hi newnexus.

When you post you need to look at the dates of the previous posts.

When the posts are a year old, and you aren't adding something dreadfully important like
the fact that the links are broken but you have the links for where people can still get the resources, or something
absolutely vital like that, then it is the dreaded NecroPost anf Forbidden.

Since you joined yesterday, I thought I'd explain for you, but you need to read the forum rules, and the stickies and such before you post any more, please.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2014 - 03:27 PM

RPGMakerVX.net is an Privacy Policy, Legal.