iPhone App Directory
RPG Maker VX

Gallery Members Search Calendar Help

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Collapse

>Announcement

Keep an eye out for the upcoming 3rd Quarter Contest!

> Notes for Complete Game Threads

This forum is for completed RPG Maker VX games. Please do not post threads about games being made in other engines here.

8 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Kazeko and the Midnight Guild, Remade | Stealth | Time Trial | Now with Hardcore Difficulty!
Prof. Meow Meow
post Jul 29 2008, 04:56 AM
Post #1

Group Icon

Type: Designer
Alignment: Neutral Good

Downloads
K&MG: The Remake (With Hardcore Difficulty) - Released October 2nd, 2009, Updated December 9th, 2009
Speak with Prof. Meow Meow in the Midnight Pub to play Hardcore difficulty.
Original K&MG - Released December 2008, Updated May 4th, 2009

TOP FIVE HARDCORE TIME TRIAL SCORES
1. LordValdyr - 10,986
2. Epic Ancient - 11,286
3. Prof. Meow Meow - 140,000
4. Prof. Meow Meow - 140,000
5. Prof. Meow Meow - 140,000

TOP FIVE NORMAL TIME TRIAL SCORES
1. Epic Ancient- 8126
2. haml0u - 9639
3. Epic Ancient - 9,905
4. Tatsh - 12,115
5. Epic Ancient - 13,309
Honorable mentions: chaoticjoy1(19120), scherzo(20655)

Introducing Time Trial! Please read the rules!
Kazeko and the Midnight Guild: The Remake now includes a time trial! I will keep track of top scores here in this thread. If you would like to submit your score, PM me your score and the verification code you are given at the end of the game. You may screen shot the score screen that is displayed at the end of the game, or just give me the numbers. You may submit as many scores as you'd like, but please be sure it beats (is lower than) the 5th place score. I will not accept any scores that are posted anywhere except to my personal inbox here on this forum! Thank you, and have fun!

Features
Kazeko and the Midnight Guild is an action/stealth game. All in-game systems (stealth, lockpicking, combat, items/equipment) have been developed by myself, with a combination of scripting and eventing. K&MG incorporates some light RPG elements. You will not gain experience points or level, but you will be able to tweak your stats (attack, health, & speed) with different equipment (the equipment you run into in Kazeko 1 is slim, but there's a good selection in Kazeko 2). By default, you will have low attack and health, but high speed. You can carry heavy arms or wear heavy equipment to increase your attack and/or health, but at the expense of your in-game movement speed. Note that Kazeko will never be overly strong. No matter how good your equipment is, or how well you understand my combat system, stealth should always be your top priority.

The Remake AKA "Why the heck did you remake K&MG1 instead of working on Kazeko 2?!"
This is the remake of the original Kazeko and the Midnight Guild. Created on a slightly modified version of what I like to call, "the Kazeko 2 engine", the remake is a way for me to have Kazeko 2's gameplay get reviewed. I'd like to know which features players enjoy, which ones they don't, and if I should implement more, or different, features. Here are a few changes I made when developing the improved Kazeko 2 systems:
1. Guards can no longer see through collisions so you can take cover behind a wall or some other obstacle.
2. Guards generally don't make 180 degree turns. Guards will no longer do a full 180 just as you are running behind them!
3. Guards can figure out how to get around obstacles (large structures, even) instead of running directly into them.
4. Homemade combat system. Loosely based on Paper-Rock-Scissors, my combat system is fast paced and high risk!
5. Action & turn-based systems. While the Kazeko 2 engine is mostly action gameplay, during certain events, such as combat and lockpicking, the game switches to a turn-based system where every action you make allows 3 seconds to pass.

Kazeko &
the
Midnight
Guild________________________________

Who's Who? - The patrons of the the Midnight Pub meet every night for a pint of ale. The Midnight Pub might seem like an ordinary pub, but when the clock strikes midnight, the patrons leave their sanctuary and run across the city, stealing from the rich and giving to the poor, for they are Medaeva's guild of thieves, The Midnight Guild! The cheerful, young, and talented ex-ninja, Kazeko , owes The Midnight Guild a favor. The Midnight Guild calls upon her to help with their largest heist yet: to steal the Crown of the Crimson Bloodline! The dedicated master thief of The Midnight Guild, Quinne , is partnered with Kazeko for the mission. The powerful and proud, Macys , with his guards and soldiers, patrols the chambers of The Crimson Castle, an old castle where the Crown is on display.

Special Thanks
Thanks to all those who play! Double thanks to those who left feedback! Kazeko Sprite by Pineda. Sneaking Behind Guard Art by rad-i-cal. Game Breaker/Script Tinkerer: iKuro. Official Editor & Muse: Peachy Nichi. Moon Window & Professor Meow Meow Portrait by Aindra. Game Icon (.ico) & Original K&MG Title Screen by Awesome Elephant. Basic HUD, NMS, Special Move Commands, Outline Text, & Neo Gauge by Woratana. Light Effects by Kylock. Dynamic Sound Emitting Areas/Events by Modern Algebra. Tilesets by Mack. Jingai Makyou Resources owned by Nitro+. Other music owned by Aphex Twin.
Inspiration: Metal Gear series, Elder Scrolls series, playing hide-and-go-seek-tag in the middle of the night.

This post has been edited by Prof. Meow Meow: May 19 2010, 04:10 PM

--------------------
8 lives remaining.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Blank
post Jul 29 2008, 05:19 AM
Post #2

Lord o' Death <BLANK>
Group Icon

heh, reminds me of Metal Gear...testn tommarow Proph.

--------------------

+Quote Post

redboy878
post Jul 29 2008, 05:22 AM
Post #3

Group Icon

Type: Musician

Wow thats sweet i like the lockpicking and stealing =) Good Luck with your game!!!

--------------------
DEMO OFFICIALLY RELEASED!!!
Check out my game Dungeons VX right here at rpgmakervx.net by clicking on this link: http://www.rpgmakervx.net/?showtopic=3697

+Quote Post

Retired-Pine
post Jul 29 2008, 11:23 AM
Post #4

Not a democracy
Group Icon

Type: Spriter
Alignment: Lawful Evil

Oh wow Prof! Marvelous work, you got me interested and I'll play this when I get back home in 16 hours (from University and Work tongue.gif) I really love the custom stuff and your character girl seems superb!

You might wanna add a screenie of your characters and some more text, but the in-game screens sure add a LOT to this game, really great work, WoTN might have competition now

--------------------

Spoiler:

Awards
Spoiler:

Games I support [under construction]
Spoiler:

+Quote Post

scherzo
post Jul 29 2008, 01:48 PM
Post #5

Group Icon

Type: Musician
Alignment: Lawful Neutral

Looks like it has merit, Proph. I think the screenies should maybe just go outside the spoiler, because they are definitely must-see items. The lockpicking reminds me of Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion ('specially the tumblers). Anyhow, I think I've seen maybe some of the character art for this and I liked what I saw. I'll try it when I can!

--------------------

+Quote Post

Blank
post Jul 29 2008, 07:22 PM
Post #6

Lord o' Death <BLANK>
Group Icon

Nice demo but the demo's AI in practice mode was annoying and took forever, other than that it is pretty nice.

I have a feeling you just set the move pattern to random...

This post has been edited by Blank: Jul 29 2008, 07:23 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post

Supergodjesus
post Jul 29 2008, 09:03 PM
Post #7

Group Icon

Alignment: Unaligned

Hey, that looks very cool indeed! It reminds me very much of the Thief line of games and MGS. Keep up the good work!

--------------------
Keep up-to-date with the greatest RPGs ever: Pioneer Valley Games

Need inexpensive art resources? Let me know!

Need AMAZING game music? Note by Note Studios

+Quote Post

look.to.the.sky
post Jul 29 2008, 10:20 PM
Post #8

take my soul
Group Icon

Type: Writer

Overall, this game was really well done! smile.gif I believe the demo just features the first three room of the castle place, as after I unlocked the door it would send me to the same room.

For the beginning part, the self introduction seemed a little strange, as there was no more narration afterward. I actually wouldn't have minded there not being so much of a direct introduction, so it keeps the whole "secrecy" bit, and we get a more full introduction to our character. The patrons in the bar could have been used to be more informative about the setting and our character, I personally thought the responses they gave didn't add much and it was kind of a let down to go through all of those options to barely get anything. Maybe they could hint at the reputation of the guild, or introduce it to the player, and then the main character responds back so we get a picture of her personality since we didn't get much with her intro.

I really liked the music that came along with this game! It's probably my favorite part, it adds a lot of atmosphere to the game, which I think is one of your strengths. The mapping is over all very good, I thought that the rooms you sneak around in are a TAD too dark, if it could be just a touch lighter, it would be perfect. I like how it is dark and it adds to the whole sneaking scene, but there were times I couldn't tell what I was looking at. Unless that's what you wanted, of course tongue.gif It's nice to see a break away from the typical games you see developing, with this being a more sneak and steal and puzzle solve more than grind your way through the story. The battles seem a little too easy, but I can see this not being a problem as the point of the game isn't to have epic battles.

It was really sad when I realized the demo had come to an end! Such a teaser! I really liked it and can't wait for more. Good job so far! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post

kwanzaabot
post Jul 30 2008, 02:05 AM
Post #9

Group Icon

Brilliant. Absolutely brilliant.

My only complaint is that a stealth/stealing system is exactly what I need for my game, but the demo's encrypted so I can't look at your events and scripts to figure out how to implement it in mine. :'(

This post has been edited by kwanzaabot: Jul 30 2008, 03:09 AM

+Quote Post

Neru
post Jul 30 2008, 09:17 PM
Post #10

Close, but no phoenix down.
Group Icon

Its very creative, and very good. Myself I think it would have worked out better with having no battles at all. The overall game awsome enough as it it, which seem rather rare, and turn based battle serves only to throw you off. Makes you kinda lose that tense feeling you had when sneaking around.
Also, since this is a sneaking game, grinding for levels seem kinda off since you're trying to avoid the enemy, not the other way around.
What makes this game a RPG is what keeps it from begin truly great. Or at least that's what I think. tongue.gif

+Quote Post

Prof. Meow Meow
post Jul 31 2008, 12:41 AM
Post #11

Group Icon

Just uploaded an updated demo!

look.to.the.sky,
The demo was not supposed to end there. There were 3 more rooms to explore and that glitch has now been updated.

kwanzaabot,
Just for you, the newly updated demo is not encrypted. You will probably not understand my system without explanation but now anybody can poke around at it if they please.

Thanks for all of the feedback folks!

The gameplay is indeed based on The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion and Metal Gear Solid. I'm just a fan of stealth.
Blank, the AI is stupid I know. Oh well. tongue.gif
look.to.the.sky, I very much appreciate your feedback. I will definitely come back to reread your comment when I continue working on my game (taking break for SoulCalibur IV).
Neru, I understand that the RPG part of my game is out of place. I want the combat to remain but I will brainstorm on how to make if fit better.

This post has been edited by Prof. Meow Meow: Jul 31 2008, 06:25 AM

--------------------
8 lives remaining.

+Quote Post

kwanzaabot
post Jul 31 2008, 01:26 AM
Post #12

Group Icon

QUOTE (Prof. Meow Meow @ Jul 31 2008, 11:37 AM) *
Just uploaded an updated demo!
kwanzaabot,
Just for you, the newly updated demo is not encrypted. You will probably not understand my system without explanation but now anybody can poke around at it if they please.

Oh, awesome. You didn't have to do that, but thanks dude. biggrin.gif
So, it's a completely original system, then? I figured it might be a much better version of cmpsr2000's Stealth Detection System over at RPG RPG Revolution. I like your way better though, the other's a little too restrictive for my liking.

As a suggestion for the battles, what if you go with an action battle system like The Elder Scrolls (which you said was an inspiration) or Zelda? (I talk about that series way too much tongue.gif)
That way, you can attack the enemies, but your environment is still important (so you can hide if you need to), and the other guards can gang up on you, instead of going one at a time?

This post has been edited by kwanzaabot: Jul 31 2008, 02:10 AM

+Quote Post

Min Chan
post Aug 14 2008, 03:40 PM
Post #13

Groovy
Group Icon

Very nice! I like the game mechanics even tho something seems to be missing.. But hey it's the first demo, so I'm gonna stay put and see.

Something that bugged me: everytime I escaped from a battle the guard was knocked out, is it supposed to work that way?

Anyway great job, I'm waiting for more wink.gif

--------------------
Ravenwood Horror
» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

+Quote Post

Leventhan
post Aug 15 2008, 01:30 AM
Post #14

<insert member title here bleep>
Group Icon

This game seems to have a great system and great gameplay!
Downloading the demo...

--------------------

+Quote Post

LilRainChan
post Aug 16 2008, 05:43 PM
Post #15

Art is something noone can correct
Group Icon

Type: Artist

Amazing demo, i really enjoyed it . but i did spot one glitch in the demo.... on the tutorial 3 map there is a box in the right corner. you cant hide in it. the conditional branch should read, 'Player is Facing Up' unless you purposely did that and i look/sound like a complete idiot.... happy.gif *jumps onto cloud and floats off*

--------------------
For all those just dying to know, the MLA auto list is down so my anime can't be updated in my sig for now...

Yeah, yeah, I'm behind them 100%

+Quote Post

The Almighty Tik...
post Aug 16 2008, 05:53 PM
Post #16

Call me Tiki. ;)
Group Icon

Very small demo, but it was fun nonetheless.

--------------------

^^ Best RMVX game right here. ^^

IRC Quotes:
Spoiler:
<+Ziukeal> <+Tetra_Flame> <TikiShades> <&scherzo> [16:30] <~Kav> i bet scherzo's recording that
<~Kav> :|
<~Kav> stop

On the topic of Diner Dash:
<TikiShades> It's where you take people's orders, and need to remember them, and where they sat.
<%BigTalkNoGame> TikiShades enjoy working at Dennys.

+Quote Post

Prof. Meow Meow
post Aug 20 2008, 05:49 AM
Post #17

Group Icon

kwanzaabot, yes my system is completely original. :3
Min Chan, when you run from an encounter, I give the player 10 frames to run away before the guards begin chasing again.
LilRainChan, that is a glitch and I corrected it in the newest demo! Thanks for pointing that out.

Too all of the feedback, thanks a lot!

By the way, I'm updating the demo now. There aren't many changes to it other than doing several adjustments.

-Proffie

--------------------
8 lives remaining.

+Quote Post

LilRainChan
post Aug 22 2008, 07:42 PM
Post #18

Art is something noone can correct
Group Icon

Type: Artist

phew... ok, glad i could help. wish i could get my game up to this point, looking this good.... im starting to be discouraged. 0.0

--------------------
For all those just dying to know, the MLA auto list is down so my anime can't be updated in my sig for now...

Yeah, yeah, I'm behind them 100%

+Quote Post

Prof. Meow Meow
post Sep 4 2008, 02:40 AM
Post #19

Group Icon

I've uploaded a 2nd Demo!

This demo has more than double the content of the 1st Demo.

To those who've completed the 1st Demo, you've got 16 new rooms to explore and 21 more guards to avoid!

Enjoy! smile.gif And leave feedback!

--------------------
8 lives remaining.

+Quote Post

SilentBackstabbe...
post Sep 4 2008, 11:42 AM
Post #20

Sejourner
Group Icon

Type: Undisclosed

The gameplay is the strength of this game and the mapping is above par. I have not been able to play the demo properly though, mainly because some transfer event. When i try exiting the cell, am transfered to the back of the door and if i return to the cell, the cutscene will fire up again. I have encounter the same transfer problem when i try using the south exit in the court, am transfered on the wall ( ??? O_o).

Put the above problem aside, it's really a good demo with unique feature... i like it!

SBS

--------------------

+Quote Post

8 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd August 2014 - 05:03 AM

RPGMakerVX.net is an Privacy Policy, Legal.