iPhone App Directory
RPG Maker VX

Gallery Members Search Calendar Help

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Collapse

>Announcement

Keep an eye out for the upcoming 3rd Quarter Contest!

> Note for Tutorial Threads

New threads (tutorials) here will go into a moderation queue. You will not see your thread appear when you create it. A moderator will decide if it will be approved or denied.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> [-Eventing-] Talking and Battling (Then Afterwards), Another simple tutorial...
Pulse
post Jul 30 2008, 01:28 AM
Post #1

Group Icon

Type: Undisclosed

Hello everyone! I will be showing you how to talk to someone, then how to battle them, and then what you need to do afterwards. For intermediate users, this should be really simple, But for me, it took quite a bit of trial and error! So in order to save someone the trouble of ripping their hair out, I will do my best in presenting this! Okay here goes:

The first thing that needs to be done is: You must figure out what it is you are battling. I will use a bandit as an example.

1. Create a new event and choose a graphic for it. There is no restriction to what should be chosen, just choose something that would make sense! (As in: stray away from choosing a flower pot or sunglasses. tongue.gif)

3. After you have selected the graphic, close the event for and go to database. Click the tab that says: "Enemies".

4. Here you can choose a default enemy or make your own. I will skip the process of making one, as that is for another tutorial, for now, just pick something.

5. After you have chosen your enemy, click the tab that says: 'troops'. Simply add your enemy to the troops list, in whatever quantity you see fit. (One would probably do best, unless you have multiple NPC's that you are talking to)

6. Now go back the the event you were working on. Choose what you want the enemy and character to say to each other. This matters very little, and is entirely up to you. Here is what I would do:

Bandit- Oi there mate, ya gotta pay a toll ta get through 'ere!

Character: Why?

Bandit: Cause I'm the one holdin the sword, that's why! Now pay 400 gold!

Character: No way! I will not pay you to travel on a public road!

Bandit: Then yer dead!

7. Heh heh, sorry for that little skit. Anyway, after you have the conversation or whatever out of the way, go to the event choices and choose "Battle Processing" under tab 3. Here you choose your enemy from the list, and decide if you can continue when you lose, or if you can escape. I obviously chose neither. tongue.gif (Remember, Step 5 MUST HAVE BEEN done in order for this step to work!)

8. After the battle is over you can add some more dialogue (If not, just skip this step). Just for humor, here is some of my own:

Bandit: Urgh...say mate, yer pretty tough...

Character: I told you I would not pay.

Bandit: So...are ya gonna finish me then?

Character: No...IF you quit highway robbing.

Bandit:.....Fine then...this isn't really the job I wanted anyway. I was never cut out for being a thug.

Character: I am glad you made the right choice!

9. Hehe, I know, it is unbearably cheesy. After you have finished with your dialogue (If you had any), create self switch A, and create a new event page.

10. On this event page, be sure t set it to where control self switch A is on. If the event you were battling lived, follow step A. If it perished, follow step B.

A. First choose the graphic for the event. If it's appearence changed because you beat it, now is the time to change it. If not, just choose the same graphic. Now you can just insert the standard randy dialogue such as: "Hey, how are ya doing" for the event, or "get lost, I don't want to talk to you, for the event. It is pretty much up to your imagination from here.

B. If the event died, simply leave this page blank. tongue.gif

There are MANY other ways of doing this, but that is really the easiest way I can explain it. Play around with it once (and if) you get the hang of it. I know this is simple, but even a simple problem is still a problem. wink.gif

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

SilentBackstabbe...
post Jul 30 2008, 12:00 PM
Post #2

Sejourner
Group Icon

Alignment: Unaligned

If you toy around with event then you can figure this kind of thing rather quickly. Since this tut is aimed at newbie, a screenie showing the whole event would be really nice (this thread is a wall of text in it's current state).

SBS

--------------------

+Quote Post

Pulse
post Jul 30 2008, 12:21 PM
Post #3

Group Icon

Sorry, but I always have trouble with screen shots. It sounds weird, but it is true. If I ever make a decent tutorial, I will try harder to make one...

--------------------

+Quote Post

SilentBackstabbe...
post Jul 30 2008, 01:10 PM
Post #4

Sejourner
Group Icon

Alignment: Unaligned

[If you don't know how to take screenies] Press the Print/Screen button to take screenie, open an image editing program and paste (Ctrl+V) the screen. Save and upload, you got your screenies!

SBS

--------------------

+Quote Post

Pulse
post Jul 30 2008, 01:32 PM
Post #5

Group Icon

I kind of knew how to do that, the problem is always in uploading it. tongue.gif It never seems to load my screen shots. Maybe I should switch from photo bucket...

--------------------

+Quote Post

Antares
post Jul 30 2008, 01:48 PM
Post #6

Professional Goose Kicker
Group Icon

Type: Artist

There's always imageshack [dot] us. I use that to upload little random things I don't really need in my photobucket account, and it's pretty helpful.

Anyway, nice tut! Beginners will love you. ;D

--------------------

"LOOK AT HOW GODDAMN SERIOUS THIS HELMET IS."
-MECHANICOR The Drunken Paladin

Supported Games:
Spoiler:

Supported Topics:
Spoiler:

(I love these guys!!!)

Other Stuff:
Spoiler:
Spriting Contest 3rd Place

My Threads:
Antares' Villager/RTP Recolors They're cholesterol-free!.... I mean, credit-free!
Antares' Original RTP Credit-required. Down at the current moment. I intend to get back to it in the very near future.
The Actor Recolor Project So I don't have to see freaking generic Ralph/Elmer used as a main charrie in EVERY GAME. *crazy-person panting*
My Links:
Vivid Style- silly little artblog...

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd August 2014 - 05:39 AM

RPGMakerVX.net is an Privacy Policy, Legal.