iPhone App Directory
RPG Maker VX

Gallery Members Search Calendar Help

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Collapse

>Announcement

Keep an eye out for the upcoming 3rd Quarter Contest!

> Note for Tutorial Threads

New threads (tutorials) here will go into a moderation queue. You will not see your thread appear when you create it. A moderator will decide if it will be approved or denied.

2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> [-Eventing-] Interesting Boss battles., Tired of the same old Bland boss battles?
kingmakerspider
post Feb 16 2012, 11:38 PM
Post #21

Group Icon

Type: Undisclosed
Alignment: Chaotic Good

Really Enjoyed the tutorial!
I don't believe in having the same plodding boss fight over and over....
It seems you came prepared to shell out some great ideas. Kudos! biggrin.gif

--------------------
"Rule #13: Think faster, shoot slower."

How few there are who have courage enough to own their faults, or resolution enough to mend them.
-Benjamin Franklin

I support:
Spoiler:

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

ave369
post Mar 14 2012, 07:03 AM
Post #22

Group Icon

Type: Writer
Alignment: Lawful Good

Here are some more interesting types of JRPG bosses.

Cadence Boss

This boss acts according to a tight schedule of attacks. For example, it always begins battle with Flame II, on the next turn it casts Death, on the third it uses Sickle Weasel. On the fourth turn the cadence is reset and it casts Flame II again. If you learn its cadence you'll have an easier time predicting its moves.
Examples from Final Fantasy: Omega Weapon (FF8), one of Yunalesca's forms (FF10).
How to make: just program its attacks in the Enemy database, in the field below the battler image.

Flunky Boss

This boss is similar to the multi-part boss, but it uses common "mook" monsters as its extra parts. Some of these bosses have an endlessly regenerating supply of mooks.
Examples from Final Fantasy: Hojo's mutant monster, whatsitsname (FF7), Granaldo (FF8)
How to make: add some extra enemies on the Troop database. If you want the mooks to be regenerating, you should use scripts that allow the Auto-Life state and create a battle event that gives that state to the mooks.

Achilles Heel Boss

This boss is hard to defeat, but it's vulnerable to a single spell. Maybe it one-shots it, maybe it's the only thing that can damage it.
Examples from Final Fantasy: Gi Nattak (FF7), Gerogero (FF8), Soulcage (FF9) all can be one-shotted with a resurrection spell or item. The Red Giant from FF8 is invulnerable to everything except Demi.
How to make: make the enemy resistant to everything except one element or state. If you want some special attacks, like healing or percentile damage, to hurt it, you'll have to fiddle with scripts somewhat.

Reverse Boss

You cannot win over this boss, you have to lose to it to continue. Use only one of these per game, since lots of these can cause frustration.
Examples from Final Fantasy: Beatrix (FF9)
How to make: give him an overpowering attack and add "Continue even when lose" to the Battle Processing event commsnd.

This post has been edited by ave369: Mar 14 2012, 07:05 AM

+Quote Post

CAB_333
post Apr 6 2012, 10:16 AM
Post #23

I am still here - Making things. :)
Group Icon

Type: Designer
Alignment: Chaotic Good

God, if I said this later, it'd be necroposting, but I have a nice idea for a boss:

3 turn-to-defeat boss:
Basically, the boss is just like a normal enemy, but with one fatal twist: after 3 turns, the boss will release a torrent of attacks.
If you want a boss like this, you'd make an event in the troops tab that goes as follows-

Condition: Turn 1x0 (So it doesn't repeat)
Show text: 3 turns remaining!

Condition: Turn 2x0
Show text: 2 turns remaining!

Condition: Turn 3x0
Show text: 1 turn remaining! Muahaha!

Condition: Turn 4x0
Show text: Your too late! Prepare to die!
Force action: [BOSS]: (Powerful attack here)

If you'd prefer just a simple defeat, just choose [Add state: Defeat: Entire Party]
I hope that some people will use this in their RPG's, it's something I haven't seen before.

This post has been edited by CAB_333: Apr 6 2012, 10:19 AM

--------------------
I like to use THIS FONT on the forum.

I support

+Quote Post

Anero Sigma
post Apr 16 2012, 08:36 PM
Post #24

Group Icon

Type: Undisclosed

Great strategies. I'll keep this in mind.

--------------------
"Men not cry for themselves, but for their comrades."

+Quote Post

KinjiroVX
post Jun 12 2012, 11:58 PM
Post #25

Group Icon

Type: Musician

I created a boss battle where you battle a Vampire, Lamia, and Succubus all in one and it can be very difficult depending on you're level.

+Quote Post

KinjiroVX
post Jun 12 2012, 11:59 PM
Post #26

Group Icon

Type: Musician

QUOTE (KinjiroVX @ Jun 12 2012, 07:58 PM) *
I created a boss battle where you battle a Vampire, Lamia, and Succubus all in one and it can be very difficult depending on you're level.

But then again, it can also be very easy for those who just choose to overtrain to the maximum level.

+Quote Post

Rifall
post Jul 18 2012, 03:19 PM
Post #27

Group Icon

Type: Designer
Alignment: Lawful Good

What do you mean by a "Death Sentence Boss"?

--------------------

Click to view our official web site.

+Quote Post

amerk
post Jul 19 2012, 07:55 PM
Post #28

Group Icon

Type: Writer
Alignment: Unaligned

Something like in Final Fantasy VII (I believe) where a boss casts a spell that puts a time limit over a particular character. If the character doesn't negate the effect or defeat the boss in that time, they die.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 31st July 2014 - 08:46 PM

RPGMakerVX.net is an Privacy Policy, Legal.