iPhone App Directory
RPG Maker VX

Gallery Members Search Calendar Help

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Collapse

>Announcement

Keep an eye out for the upcoming 3rd Quarter Contest!

> Note for Tutorial Threads

New threads (tutorials) here will go into a moderation queue. You will not see your thread appear when you create it. A moderator will decide if it will be approved or denied.

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> [-Eventing-] Interesting Boss battles., Tired of the same old Bland boss battles?
Bizarre Monkey
post Oct 7 2010, 02:20 PM
Post #1

Modesty is like a laxative you shove deep into your butt of smug
Group Icon

Type: Designer
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral

Introduction
Hello, and this is my third tutorial [Unless my second one didn't get approved]. In this tutorial we will be discussing how to make bosses more interesting. I've been meaning to do this for a while but have been too busy with my game's development, but here we go. In my games I always have strived to make bosses, and normal enemy battles quite fun and interesting for the player. A lot of this experience comes from playing games like Final Fantasy X and world of warcraft where the boss battles always had interesting factors to them. I will discuss some of these as well as on death sequences. [Tankentai and otherwise.]

Kind of boss battles you should avoid vast quantities of:
Tank bosses, while these are good in a small variety, its not very fun when every second boss takes a good ten minutes to kill, i'd limit these to 2 a game depending on length.
Death Sentence battles: these are good in a small quantity. It makes the player think about his actions instead of just spamming attack. But when every second or third boss is a death sentence battle, it becomes irritating.

How to make on death events
If any of you have played final fantasy and have gotten to an on on death spell cast mob [a good example is a behemoth who casts meteor.], you will know what I am talking about.

How we do this in VX is simple, but rather out of most peoples mind sets. As not a lot of people use the immortal quality that you can set on the troops in the database.

To do this, you will have to right click an enemy in the troops area and select immortal. then have an enemy page with a condition of HP at 0%, then in the event. do a force action of the skill you want [like meteor] and after that do an event command of inflict enemy state>death. that is all, that is all you need to do, this works for both tankentai and normal, as I have tested it in both. You need no scripts to do this. Just remember to set immortal, this is why we need to inflict enemy death through events. because unless that happens, he wont die. and will remain on 0 HP.

Boss battle examples
To avoid spoiling all the boss battles in my game, I will give you a few examples, and you can think on from there.

Healer/Caster combo:
This is [IIRC] like Zorn and Thorn in Final Fantasy IX[9], one would do damaging offensive spells while the other would heal, the idea was to kill the healer first, because if you didn't, they would cast life on the other one. [For those who haven't played FF9 but have played wow, Scarlet Commander Mograine and High Inquisitor Whitemane are good examples.

What you would do is have a Caster at 0% Condition and in the event page have Healer cast life on index X, X being the index of the Caster. You would also have the healer cast heal on said index at 20% or so, you could have this as span turn or span battle, depending if you want to have the Caster healed once or every time she falls below 20% or so.

I would also suggest as well as casting offensive spells, the caster would cast protective spells on the healer, not only does this add a bit of realism, but it make it a little more challenging for the player who is now hitting for half the damage.

Suicide Bombing Monsters:
Noting the On Death events I posted above, this is pretty much the same. Except with a battle system like tankenntai [or eventing] they can use Use auto-life at 50% or so, and when they hit 20% they could use detonate, doing massive damage to players and destroying itself in the process, but if they used auto-life, they would rise again, with players brutally damaged, it makes the moment of which they revived very intense for the player as they have to heal [and sometimes resurrect] their allies and deal with the bomber from whichever % of health he healed too. If you dont use tankentai auto-life, there is a way to do this with events, that you can do with tankentai and isn't so buggy.

First, you'll need a "false" auto-life ability if you don't use Tankentai, if you do, you will have to remove it if you wan to event it because honestly it makes it very buggy and if you do it the way I suggest you'll have two bombers on top of each other. Since this is rather hard to explain Ill use screenshots instead.

No spoilers for ye... asides from the enemy I am illustrating.

For the transparent Kobold, you have to right click and select appear halfway, they should also be on the same spot, just did that to show you how it all works.

I am using tankentai as you can probably see, but I still prefer to do it with events because auto-life is rather buggy. sometimes it'll work, sometimes it wont. And dispelling auto-life will make it say the things but not resurrect them, when combined with a special victory scene, this looks quite awkward.

Also, I forgot to but you should make a conditional to see if auto-life is inflicted, If it is not inflict, with the event command I showed you earlier but with no resurrection.
If it is inflicted make this happen as it does in the screenshot. I didn't do this because It escaped me and you don't have the character with dispel this early in my game.

So more like this.

I had to cut some lines out so I could fit it on one page.

Reflect centric monsters [Tankentai Only]
For those of you who use Tankentai, the reflect system makes a battle very fun and Interesting, what we are going to do is have an enemy cast a spell which does an insane amount of damage, and the only way to avoid being hit by it and one of your party members instantly dieing is to use Repel or Reflect to bounce it back. We also want to warn the player to use the repel/reflect spell before it happens. so make the warning event.

CODE
End of Turn>Turn no 2:

Show text:
\>\c[6]\n[x]\c[0]\< [You don''t have to do this this is just what I do.
\n[x], you need to cast reflect on yourself[or \n[x]. Try to make these message differ so its not all the same.

Change X to the Actor speaking [if you use the first line in messages], and the Fist x of the second line is the person who can cast reflect\repel and the second x is who to cast it on as he will and should be the target of the powerful spell. Then, in the next page:

CODE
End of Turn>Turn No 3:

Force Action: [X.Enemy name], [Skill name], Index X

And thats it, select the enemy which will do the skill and match the x's to the index of the monster and the Index of which player he is casting it on respectively.

I use Repel and reflect as the names for physical reflection Magical Reflection.

For those who don't know Reflection in games is usually referring to bouncing back spells, if anyone has played FFX, you'll know what I'm talking about, and anyone who has tried out the features in tankentai will also know what I'm talking about. You'll also want to make sure the spell kills the player, but if bounced back doesn't do SO much damage that the enemies end up dying too fast, but fast enough that iit doesn''t feel like a tank battle.

and now for the last example.

Multi-part boss battle:

If any of you have watched or played Final Fantasy VII[7] and fought with Bizarro Sephiroth, you will know what I'm talking about.

These are battles where bosses have multiple parts that you have to destroy to make his core destructible: this is a little tricky to do and people who use tankentai will have to use a special action sequence to prevent the parts from moving when attacking.

For non-tankentai, Assemble the parts in the troops scene, ofcourse you'll have to make different enemies in the database for each part. I would suggest using a different name for each part, even if going to as little effort to put part A part B etc.

Once assorted the core should be immortal and you should make an invulnerability state, to do this you'll need a script which makes enemies completely immune, this is difficult to do without tankentai. The Reason we want to make them immune is that we don't want player getting them to 0 hp, ad have them not die, then when all the parts are dead they die instantly or will live forever, if you don't have immortal checked.

Once you have taken care of that, you'll need to make an event like this.

When end of Turn: Span Turn.

CODE
If Part A is state inflicted: [001: Death]
  If Part B is state inflicted: [001: Death]
    If Part C is state inflicted: [001: Death]
      If Part D is state inflicted: [001: Death]
        Show text
          Well done, mortals!
        Show Battle Animation: [1. Core] [Animation]
          Wait: 40 Frame(s)
        Show Battle Animation: [1. Core] [Animation]
        Change Enemy State: [Core], - [Invulnerability]
        Show text:
          Who removed my Barrier?
        Show text:
          I did!
        Show text:
          A Possible challenge, Excellent...

That's basically it, the show text and animations are optional, they just spice it up.

I hope you enjoyed this tutorial and hope to see more battles where enemies are interesting instead of bland. Happy RPG Making.

--------------------
The Crazy Chimp Collective Blog
Founder of the Crazy Chimp Collective (CCC) and Award-winning developer.
Spoiler:
Current CCC Contributors:
Bizarre Monkey (Creative Developer, Artist and Founder)
Andinator (Album Artist and Fan Artist)
AngryPacman (Coder and Composer)
Apoc (Tile, Album and Planetary Artist) Resigned
Basil (Album Artist)
UsagiShinobi (Concept Artist, Album Artist and Voice Actor)
KaptainJ (Security Camera and Podcasting)
Loion (Doer of Naught)
Moneymenace (Composer)
Notte Eterna (Artist and Tester.)
Peva (Promoter and Supporter)
Pjcr (Pixel and Iconset Artist, he also makes the CCC Portraits.)
Qtpi0121 (Pixel Artist) AWOL
Rgangsta (Panorama Designer and Enhancer)
RavenBlueIndigo (Composer)
Tsuyoi Raion (Marketing) Resigned
Xiie (Logo Artist and HUD Designer)
Xzygon (Coding support and Voice Actor)
Zadorain (Composer)

Why can't I... hold all these awards??
Spoiler:

--

Thank you everyone! :D
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

OVAN66
post Oct 7 2010, 09:15 PM
Post #2

Fsteak
Group Icon

Type: Musician
Alignment: Chaotic Evil

But i love tank boss battles! nah just kidding laugh.gif

Man! This is my favorite tutorial now! wink.gif
I can't believe there was not a topic about this yet.Congrats.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Bizarre Monkey
post Oct 7 2010, 11:09 PM
Post #3

Group Icon

Thank you, I'm glad you like my tutorial! :D

I'm a bit intrigued myself no one had posted anything like this. The Motivation to write this tutorial was to hopefully see not so many games with the usual battles that you can just spam attack to win and have no events attached. The on death is especially good if you want to give players extra items or a special currency like AP without having to have an enemy have it in his drops. You can also make enemy drop quest items only if they are on a quest as well. I just use variables and a quest script to do this but I still have on death events to show "Item(s): X/X", first x being the amount you have and the second X being the amount you need.

But I'm rambling now.

This post has been edited by Bizarre Monkey: Oct 7 2010, 11:15 PM

--------------------
Spoiler:
Basil (Album Artist)
Loion (Doer of Naught)
Moneymenace (Composer)
Zadorain (Composer)

Spoiler:

--

+Quote Post

???nOBodY???
post Oct 8 2010, 07:33 PM
Post #4

moogles + nightmares + coffee = Scripting Psychopathic Tendency
Group Icon

Type: Coder

This is a decent tutorial. I myself use more tank bosses, since my game is very long, but you should include more details on what you mean by "2 tanks per game depending on length". In other words, what would you call a decent point to start increasing that number?

Also, you should provide several examples for beginners on how to implement scripts, such as a DNS, with making a unique boss battle. Such as a boss that can only be defeated at a certain time of the day, otherwise it's immortal.

I agree witht he fact that having boring, bland boss battles in a game isn't cool. My rule of thumb is that almost every single one of my bosses must have something that makes that battle unique and rememorable. Granted, you may want a more powerful version of a style you've already used later on, but overusing a specific style isn't very cool either. Anyways, there's my two cents' worth. Nice tut!

--------------------
*The Master List Update Project is currently up-to-date with the latest scripts for that dream project!
*By entering the RGSS2/Ruby Scripting section, you are agreeing to abide by The Coder's Creed.

My Scripts
Spoiler:

ACK Script Requests
Spoiler:

Scripts
Stat Change Formulas
GTBS Ziifee's spin menu Submenus
GTBS Weapon Unleash
GTBS Enemy Status
Attack Command Submenu
Jump To (X,Y)
BGM/BGS Fadein
Window_Message - Pop Text
Spell Management Menu
Melee Mastery Management Menu
Ghost List
Save / Autoload
Some Popup v2.9 => v2.91
Scene_StringEntry v1.02
Scene_StringEntry: More Than 24-Character Input
Scene_StringEntry: Scrolling Character Input Window
Scene_StringEntry: Typing Input
MA's Quest Journal - Accept Quest Add-On (internal)
MA's Quest Journal - Accept Quest Add-On (external)
Easy-to-Add Extra Ziifee Spin Commands
Scrolling Battle Message
Non-Differentiating Enemies
Quest Item Drops
(VX) FP Conditional Drops
FFTA World Map HUD bugfix
RSSBS / SSS - Wereforms patch
Death Counterattack
Targetting Extension

My Heart (Resources)
Spoiler:

Projects
Project AMBROSIA
*something generically clever*

Support these:
Spoiler:

Awards:
Spoiler:

+Quote Post

Bizarre Monkey
post Oct 9 2010, 10:47 AM
Post #5

Group Icon

Also, you should provide several examples for beginners on how to implement scripts, such as a DNS, with making a unique boss battle. Such as a boss that can only be defeated at a certain time of the day, otherwise it's immortal.

I don't use scripts for boss battles other than tankentai and KGC_rate damage, Nor am I a scripter myself, so I can't really give examples like these.

I myself use more tank bosses, since my game is very long, but you should include more details on what you mean by "2 tanks per game depending on length". In other words, what would you call a decent point to start increasing that number?

This is more of a user decided decision then mine, but say your game was 4 hours long, id say maybe 2 tank boss battles in a game that long, 1 more for every 2 hours, but it can be increased if said boss battle has other things than being tank, for example if the reflect example was used, it can make tank bosses not so tank and give them a more enjoyable sense.

I agree witht he fact that having boring, bland boss battles in a game isn't cool. My rule of thumb is that almost every single one of my bosses must have something that makes that battle unique and rememorable. Granted, you may want a more powerful version of a style you've already used later on, but overusing a specific style isn't very cool either. Anyways, there's my two cents' worth.

I agree with you, doing something to death isn't cool either. If you want to reuse some boss mechanics once in a while thats fine so long as they have new tricks.

This is a decent tutorial.
Nice tut!

Thank you I'm glad you liked it.

--------------------
Spoiler:
Basil (Album Artist)
Loion (Doer of Naught)
Moneymenace (Composer)
Zadorain (Composer)

Spoiler:

--

+Quote Post

Achiro
post Oct 11 2010, 09:19 PM
Post #6

Group Icon

This helped me out alot, I don't have many tank bosses and the ones who are tanks generally are only tanks for lower levels to get use to the game.

--------------------
I'll die someday.

+Quote Post

Bizarre Monkey
post Oct 12 2010, 02:15 AM
Post #7

Group Icon

QUOTE (Achiro @ Oct 12 2010, 08:19 AM) *
This helped me out alot, I don't have many tank bosses and the ones who are tanks generally are only tanks for lower levels to get use to the game.

I am glad that my tutorial aided you.

--------------------
Spoiler:
Basil (Album Artist)
Loion (Doer of Naught)
Moneymenace (Composer)
Zadorain (Composer)

Spoiler:

--

+Quote Post

nicolechan63
post Oct 14 2010, 04:52 AM
Post #8

Group Icon

Type: Undisclosed
Alignment: Unaligned

Nice Suggestions, I really didn't think of so many ways to setup bosses, The ones I use in my game are mostly Skill Spamming Bosses sleep.gif But I believe your ideas are a great help to me now biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by nicolechan63: Oct 14 2010, 04:53 AM

+Quote Post

Bizarre Monkey
post Oct 14 2010, 11:02 AM
Post #9

Group Icon

Making cool interesting bosses is one of my favorite things about RPG maker, mainly because it is so simple. But some people just haven't gotten into the mindset of making interesting battles. and some just haven't figured out how. Which is the exact point of this tutorial, is to teach those without the knowledge or mindset of making interesting battles.

I'm rambling now [I tend to do that a lot] so I'll just say that I am glad this has aided as many people as it has.

This post has been edited by Bizarre Monkey: Oct 14 2010, 11:03 AM

--------------------
Spoiler:
Basil (Album Artist)
Loion (Doer of Naught)
Moneymenace (Composer)
Zadorain (Composer)

Spoiler:

--

+Quote Post

mudducky
post Oct 17 2010, 12:54 PM
Post #10

Lurking...
Group Icon

Alignment: True Neutral

Glad to see some people do use the battle events to their advantage.

The enemy attack patterns on bosses can also quite useful.

I.e. You can have them use more powerful skills when their health is lowered.

Another example merging the two, have an enemy cast healing skills only when a switch is on and then use the battle events to set the switch on when ever an enemy in the troops HP is below 50%

--------------------
Want help with learning the RPG Maker VX events?

Support. Check out these projects! They are not placed in top ranking order or anything like that.

+Quote Post

Lord Bluffkin
post Oct 19 2010, 12:23 PM
Post #11

Group Icon

For the multi-part boss battle, there is an alternate method of keeping the boss at full HP:
Just replace the boss with a new copy of the boss once the troops are killed.

This post has been edited by Lord Bluffkin: Oct 19 2010, 12:23 PM

+Quote Post

MagicKid
post Oct 19 2010, 01:19 PM
Post #12

I walk into walls.
Group Icon

Type: Writer
Alignment: Chaotic Evil

For the multi-boss battle immortality, I just say "Elements to Guard" and "States to Cancel" and tick them all.

--------------------
QUOTE (CUTmayne @ Aug 4 2010, 01:20 AM) *
paying for rm resources is like paying for porn.

I'm back! And I'm more mature than the last time you saw me. I hope.

+Quote Post

Bizarre Monkey
post Oct 21 2010, 08:20 PM
Post #13

Group Icon

Thanks for the replies, I've been busy with my game and haven't had much of a chance to read up at RPGmakerVX.net

@Lord Bluffkin: You can do that, but if you have a script that shows how much hp the enemy has, then its a bit tragic if the player gets the enemy to 0 hp and finds out they cant kill them, and then they are replaced by another one and the player has to knock down his hit points again.

@MagicKid: I didn't think of that, but doesn't the Elements to guard only guard 50% or is it a whole 100%? I am pretty sure its only 50%, as I tick those when I make Protect and Shell skills. When a monster uses it I only do half damage from my observations, of course, I may have a script that edits that, I'm not completely sure.

@Mudducky: I'm glad you liked it. I did sort of put an example of the health below x% with Zorn and Thorn's example. Though I didn't cover the switches, mainly because people have got to have some room left to explore. I didn't want to cover everything, just a few examples so we don't see so many 1-Dimensional Boss battles.

@Everyone: Asides from the reflect example, All of these can be done with Yanfly Engine melody as well, but Reflect would need a separate script, or Yanfly would need to implement it.

--------------------
Spoiler:
Basil (Album Artist)
Loion (Doer of Naught)
Moneymenace (Composer)
Zadorain (Composer)

Spoiler:

--

+Quote Post

Jake Yuminichika...
post Oct 28 2010, 03:41 AM
Post #14

Come test your might on me!
Group Icon

Type: Writer
Alignment: True Neutral

I was hoping for someone talking about interesting fights/bosses. There's quite a good bunch of it in my RPG (Talk about 20 and more?). Though I had a good idea to not get a feeling of "Spamming attacks", your tutorial learned me new things
to avoid when going for bosses.
Thank you smile.gif

--------------------
is recruiting (:
Want to support us? Click on the image and put the code in your signature! :D
Random Quotes in The One : Legend Of The Luckiest
Spoiler:
"We shall wage war unto these corrupted stickmen!!! ONWARDS, loyal fighters!!!" -From Ulric Dehot, preparing to engage Moan Sped.

"So, that's the only worthy general that the Ninth has; Zarrstonic Karumatov, with your steed Steel Wind! Let's have a duel, like in the old times!" From The Elemented One, duelling Zarrstonic.

"WUAHAHAHAH!!! Feel the insanety of Hakipo's Alysum, the blades of Mochi!!" -From Ayate Mochi.

+Quote Post

Bizarre Monkey
post Oct 30 2010, 07:21 AM
Post #15

Group Icon

Thank you smile.gif

You're Welcome. I'm glad you liked it.

--------------------
Spoiler:
Basil (Album Artist)
Loion (Doer of Naught)
Moneymenace (Composer)
Zadorain (Composer)

Spoiler:

--

+Quote Post

Takujei
post Jan 5 2012, 05:03 PM
Post #16

Group Icon

Type: Musician

Nice tuto, i've just started using VX and this gave me a lot of ideas. But i still have one problem that i haven't been able to solve, and that is about the enemies "action patterns". created a cool super mega boss, and i wanted him to attack and cast at least a fire and an ice spell, but when i test the battle, he only repeats the "attack" action, no ice or fire spells. I even tried changing the attack rating to 1, and the spell's rating to 10, but he still only does the attack action. What am i doing wrong? or do i need some kind of script to make him do more than one action in battle? Thanks in advance!

--------------------
TAKUJEI

+Quote Post

Bizarre Monkey
post Jan 17 2012, 06:28 AM
Post #17

Group Icon

Necropost and a half you made there, but heres some help.

In the troops tab of your mega boss, you'll want to double click on a page, go to tab 3 of event commands, and find the force battle action event command, then you can have enemy 1. Big Bad Boss; cast skill; Fire, and then copy + paste the command and edit so its 1. Big Bad Boss; use skill; Ice. Do it like that and he should cast Fire and Then ice in one turn, respectively.

--------------------
Spoiler:
Basil (Album Artist)
Loion (Doer of Naught)
Moneymenace (Composer)
Zadorain (Composer)

Spoiler:

--

+Quote Post

xein
post Jan 17 2012, 10:52 AM
Post #18

Group Icon

Check how much mp your boss has. If it's lower than the skill mp cost then the boss won't execute the skill.

--------------------
Working on:

Visit My Blog

+Quote Post

Bizarre Monkey
post Jan 17 2012, 09:22 PM
Post #19

Group Icon

Thats true too, but force action ignores MP requirements, it also allows your boss to use more than one skill in a single turn.

--------------------
Spoiler:
Basil (Album Artist)
Loion (Doer of Naught)
Moneymenace (Composer)
Zadorain (Composer)

Spoiler:

--

+Quote Post

jfitz
post Feb 16 2012, 11:14 AM
Post #20

Group Icon

hey do you have any idea how i can utilize this system using an ABS like PRABS or Vampyr?

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th August 2014 - 01:20 PM

RPGMakerVX.net is an Privacy Policy, Legal.