iPhone App Directory
RPG Maker VX

Gallery Members Search Calendar Help

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Collapse

>Announcement

The 2nd Quarter Contest has arrived! Go check it out in the Community Announcements now!

> Note for Tutorial Threads

New threads (tutorials) here will go into a moderation queue. You will not see your thread appear when you create it. A moderator will decide if it will be approved or denied.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> [-Graphics-] Photoshop Selection Tool Options, What stuff like "Contiguous" or "Frequency" mean.. .o.
A.M
post Nov 28 2010, 07:58 PM
Post #1

Pehkachu
Group Icon

Type: Artist
Alignment: Unaligned

Hey there. Welcome to my... er, first-ever tutorial. =o=
This isn’t an exact guide or something, but I’ll try to personally explain how (I think) most of the selection tool options roughly work. (Photoshop 7)
Don’t worry if you’re reading this and have no idea what some things are; what I’m trying to do is hopefully make some of the tools in Photoshop seem less intimating, or clear up any confusion anyone might’ve had on little words here and there. I always forget what 'contiguous' means..."

What you might want to know before reading this:________
> Where the option window is
> A rough idea of how to use the rectangular marquee tool
> That right-clicking on tool icons will let you switch between more tools

---~~~x~x~x~x~xxx~x~x~x~x~~~---

Terms that will be covered:________
Spoiler:
(Excluding Pen Pressure)
> Contiguous
> Anti-Aliased
> Feather
> Use All Layers
> Tolerance
> Frequency
> Width
> Edge Contrast
> Selection: Addition, Subtraction, Intersection
> Style: Fixed Aspect Ratio, Fixed Size

Contiguous: Optional setting for the magic wand tool. - checkbox
Basically, this just determines whether the wand will only be limited to selecting similarly-coloured pixels surrounding the region you chose or throughout the whole layer.
(If it helps, synonyms for “contiguous” include “neighbouring”, “adjacent”, and “nearby”)

Anti-Aliased: Optional setting for all the selection tools excluding the rectangular marquee tool. - checkbox
This determines whether the edges of a transformed selection will be smoothed-out or not.
(Checked = yes, not checked = no)

Feather: Optional setting for all the selection tools excluding the Magic Wand tool. - px
The “roundness” of a selection. Increasing the feather will round out the edges of your selected region more, while decreasing it will make them sharper/straighter.

Use All Layers: Optional setting for the magic wand tool. - checkbox
Having this checked will make the magic wand ignore layers when you make selections; having this un-checked will have the wand make selections solely on your current layer.

Tolerance: Optional setting for the magic wand tool. - #
Basically, tolerance affects how many similarly-coloured pixels the wand will pick up in its selected region(s). A low tolerance will reduce the number of different-coloured pixels that will be included in a selection while a higher tolerance will raise that range.

Frequency: Optional setting for the magnetic lasso tool. - #
This basically just controls how often points on your drawn (selection) path will be made. A higher frequency will make it easier for the lasso to reach little crevices and corners but it’ll also make it more likely to pick up bumps or uneven edges. Plus it also makes it look kinda messy.

Width: Optional setting for the magnetic lasso tool. - px
You could kinda call this the” strength” of the pull to other objects when drawing a (selection) path. Increasing the width will make the lasso begin snapping at objects from a greater distance while lowering the width will cause the lasso to only start snapping at closer distances.

Edge Contrast: Optional setting for the magnetic lasso tool. -%
This affects how easily the path will cling to different-coloured edges in a picture. Setting the edge contrast to a higher value will make the lasso snap to higher-contrasting edges more easily while avoiding lower-contrasting regions.

Selection: AdditionOptional setting for all the selection tools. - icon
This lets you add more than one selected region to the canvas. It also merges touching selections together.

Selection: SubtractionOptional setting for all the selection tools. - icon
The reverse of addition; it lets you remove parts of your laid-down selection by drawing another marquee over it.

Selection: IntersectionOptional setting for all the selection tools. - icon
This will change your selection so that it only covers the area in which two marquees overlap.

Style: Fixed Aspect RatioOptional setting for the rectangle/elliptical marquee tool. - drop-down option
This style will adjust your marquee so that it follows a set width-height ratio. For example, if you typed-in a ratio of 1:3 (width=1, height=3), then the width of your selection would stay equivalent to 1/3 the value of the height, no matter the size.

Style: Fixed SizeOptional setting for the rectangle/elliptical marquee tool. - drop-down option
This style will instantly create a selection box that’s sized to the typed-in width and height values (dimensions).

---~~~x~x~x~x~xxx~x~x~x~x~~~---

I tried to keep things a bit brief but straightforward, since I don't want this page to go on forever.
But I hope you liked this tutorial/guide, and I hope some of the tools will now not seem as... menacing. '^' "

This post has been edited by A.M: Apr 6 2011, 12:22 AM

--------------------
○• Also offering to do headshot or waist-up lineart - You can check out my thread here 'u' •○

....................................................................................................

Ka-P0w (don't worry, it's short, lol):
Spoiler:

Working With Teams - (Interesting) guide involving the (+)s and (-)s of working w/ your forum buddies.

Photoshop Selection Tool Options - Not too sure of what some of the tool options do? This is a guide to what things like contiguous means.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

quigonkeichy
post Dec 1 2010, 02:35 AM
Post #2

I MOVE THE STARS FOR NO ONE.
Group Icon

Type: Writer
Alignment: Lawful Evil

This was actually really handy, I'm always at a loss on what the hell all that shizz means.

--------------------

My project!

I support:
Spoiler:

+Quote Post

A.M
post Dec 1 2010, 03:51 AM
Post #3

Pehkachu
Group Icon

Lol; thanks. =) I'm glad someone said this was handy!
I know quite a lot of people have a hard time trying to use image-editing software because of all the things you can do.
When I first started, seeing all the options and fancy wording really made it seem like such a challenging, pointless thing to learn."

I'm hoping more people read this. .u. I would've loved something like this and looking-up some of the words really helped me.

This post has been edited by A.M: Dec 1 2010, 03:52 AM

--------------------
○• Also offering to do headshot or waist-up lineart - You can check out my thread here 'u' •○

....................................................................................................

Spoiler:

Working With Teams - (Interesting) guide involving the (+)s and (-)s of working w/ your forum buddies.

Photoshop Selection Tool Options - Not too sure of what some of the tool options do? This is a guide to what things like contiguous means.

+Quote Post

Kyriaki
post Dec 1 2010, 07:32 AM
Post #4

Reviewer
Group Icon

Type: Writer
Alignment: Lawful Neutral

Actually, I just started messing around with Photoshop for resource editing and was really needing something like this! For a while I used a lower-end program so the switch was really confusing for me too. ^^; I am glad you made this and maybe in the future you could make mini semi-tutorials like this for working with tilesets and spriting for beginners in particular! Like dealing with deleting and transparency, which still totally gives me problems... Eh, heh. ;;

--------------------
.: Current Project :.

+Quote Post

A.M
post Dec 3 2010, 08:51 PM
Post #5

Pehkachu
Group Icon

Haha, thanks. =)
Yeah, I've been using the same version of photoshop for 4 years and I still don't understand what half of the stuff means.
But before that, I used paint for the longest time ever. (I'm a 90s child :0)
I like making tutorials, though. I might make another sometime soon, but I'm still kinda unsure about what subject to cover.

Thanks for the ideas! I'm not that great at tilesets or spriting, but I'll try to think of something that people might want to know. '^'

--------------------

Spoiler:

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st April 2014 - 11:52 AM

RPGMakerVX.net is an Privacy Policy, Legal.