iPhone App Directory
RPG Maker VX

Gallery Members Search Calendar Help

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Collapse

>Announcement

Keep an eye out for the upcoming 3rd Quarter Contest!

Closed TopicStart new topic
> PSP Version of RMVX?, anyone can help
Icy2X
post Nov 29 2010, 10:53 PM
Post #1

~Kir Royale~
Group Icon

Type: Designer
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral

Well, I have thought if this long and hard, and I have finally came up with a platform. I decided that I would try to port RPGmaker VX over to PSP. Of course, I would have to find a Ruby library for the PSP, and if there isn't, well, I would have to make one myself. Thing is, not only will this open new doors in the RPGmaker world, but will also open up some in the PSP homebrew world. I myself have owned a PSP since 2006 (selling,trading,hacking etc) and now I have a slim. I think that the PSP slim has enough RAM (64 MB) and enough CPU (333 when hacked) to be able to play RMVX games very very smoothly. I was hoping if any programmers and scripters want to aid in this project. this will greatly benefit evryone in both communities. Thanks in advance, and feel free to post any ideas.

~ Icy wink.gif

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

NAT_Designer
post Nov 29 2010, 11:02 PM
Post #2

Do not expect me to be nice.
Group Icon

Alignment: True Neutral

I can't count how many times people have come up with the logic that it should work on psps, consoles, etc. It hasn't happened yet, it probably won't happen at all. RMVX never was meant to be played on anything other than pcs, and people underestimate the challenge it would be to change a pc program to one on, say, a psp. It's like trying to convert Microsoft Office to work on an iPod, something that was never meant to happen.

--------------------
Never think of yourself as entitled to know how the world works. Your job is to live in it, and follow it's rules. Nothing more.

+Quote Post

Peva
post Nov 29 2010, 11:08 PM
Post #3

Also racism
Group Icon

Alignment: Neutral Good

Impossible.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Icy2X
post Nov 29 2010, 11:16 PM
Post #4

~Kir Royale~
Group Icon

It's not impossible. It's real simple. Just like how we made it possible to play Java apps on a PSP, or GBA games. Even DS games can be played on a PSP (with lag of course). But all that needs to happen is to create a program utilizing all the PSPs RAM and CPU, then making it able to run Ruby script, and to make it easier, make a program that could convert RMVX games into a full file format(easy) and make it so the Ruby library can link to the RGSS2a file in the game. It can all be accomplished in about ~1 1/2 years. It wouldnt take long, especially with a team.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Avvy
post Nov 29 2010, 11:20 PM
Post #5

Procrastinat-
Group Icon

Alignment: Neutral Good

What Peva said, impossible. This has been discussed way too many times before.

--------------------

+Quote Post

NAT_Designer
post Nov 29 2010, 11:21 PM
Post #6

Group Icon

Tell me, did you search this forum for threads based on 'Oh, RMVX can be played on <insert game console here> if we work on it'? This isn't new at all, and it has failed every time. There should be a rule against not seaching for similar threads before posting the same thing.

--------------------
Never think of yourself as entitled to know how the world works. Your job is to live in it, and follow it's rules. Nothing more.

+Quote Post

Icy2X
post Nov 29 2010, 11:24 PM
Post #7

~Kir Royale~
Group Icon

You see, here's the problem. Just because I say something, does not mean I am the other person. I am not like other people on these forums, I am an ACTUAL game designer, and coder. I am looking forward to a career in the game making business. And I know it is possible. If it isn't, please tell me why, because I remember being here in 09 and reading a thread in that someone asked if it could be done, the response was NO. Why, if you are sure it cannot be dont, tell m why, because I am actually going through with the project.

--------------------

+Quote Post

NAT_Designer
post Nov 29 2010, 11:29 PM
Post #8

Group Icon

QUOTE (Icy2X @ Nov 29 2010, 07:24 PM) *
I am not like other people on these forums, I am an ACTUAL game designer, and coder.

OMFG, somebody who thinks their different. Tell me sir, do you know the others who have attempted? Do you know that they are not programmers? Is your skill with programming in every way better than theirs? Being elitest and saying 'I am an ACTUAL game designer' just makes you sound like a much bigger poser. This isn't a community in which you can be an elitest bastard, sir. If you'd have read the rules, you would know that.

--------------------

+Quote Post

fmjpr
post Nov 29 2010, 11:38 PM
Post #9

Group Icon

Type: Writer

Jesus Christ.

--------------------
Trailer for It Came From Yesterday: Click Me

This was made by a dear friend of mine. Any support is appreciated! Also, Like the Facebook page while you're at it: It Came From Yesterday

New and improved official site: ICFY

Swagbucks referral link: http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/jbart321

+Quote Post

Getdizzy
post Nov 29 2010, 11:39 PM
Post #10

Group Icon

Type: Undisclosed
Alignment: Unaligned

And the person who gave the BIG NO answer, was a REAL programmer. As in his REAL job. You know, the one he does for ACTUAL MONEY. (The Big No comes from the Big Ed biggrin.gif)

Anyway, porting it is more than porting ruby script. thinking it is is dumb as shit. RMVX runs its scripts from ruby... the game itself isn't really executed that way though. Hell, computers some time have trouble running rmvx lag free. Even if you managed to make an emulator that worked (LOL)... it would run really really horribly.

EDIT: Dammit Jasonicus. Why for you shut down my train wreck entertainment ;_;

+Quote Post

BigEd781
post Nov 30 2010, 09:59 PM
Post #11

No method: 'stupid_title' found for 'nil:NilClass`
Group Icon

Type: Coder
Alignment: Chaotic Good

QUOTE (Icy2X @ Nov 29 2010, 03:24 PM) *
Why, if you are sure it cannot be dont, tell m why, because I am actually going through with the project.

Ok.

So here is why I say "NO" (in a big way) to this question about every other week, and also why you claiming to be an "ACTUAL game developer" is so utterly laughable.

RMVX and the executables that it generates are heavily based on the Win32 API (newly dubbed the "Windows API"). If you don't know what that means, stop reading now, slap yourself a few times, and go start learning how to be a programmer.

In order to play games generated by VX in a non-windows environment, you need to emulate *ALL* of the API calls that the game will make. You also need to create a PE format executable loader for the PSP (you do know that different operating systems use different formats for executable files, right?) Hard? Yeah. You are implementing virtual machines on the PSP. Possible? Of course, most things in software are. Practical / Possible for *you*? No way in hell.

Second, you mentioned Ruby. Good point, because you would also need to create a Ruby runtime that works on PSP hardware. Possible? Again, yes. For you? No way in hell.

Now how about space and time requirements (Memory and CPU for you non-CS folks out there)? Have you profiled the performance of the PSP's hardware in regards to space and time? Have you profiled a typical game made in VX on some comparable piece of machinery? Have you even profiled it on your own PC? Do you even know how to gauge performance? (guessing another big *NO* to all of those) VX uses a relatively inefficient engine by gaming standards, you need to make sure it would even work at all.

How about CPU architecture? The PSP sure as hell doesn't use an Intel x86 architecture. Do you know how to program in assembler? Are you familiar with programming for specific, relatively exotic CPU architectures? How do you plan on emulating Windows and porting the Ruby runtime if you don't know a lick of assembler and couldn't make it past page 2 of a CPU architectural specification?

Basically, if you knew what the hell you were talking about you wouldn't be asking this question. Don't be a douche.

--------------------
My blog - It's awesome, I assure you
While sloppy writing does not invariably mean sloppy thinking, we've generally found the correlation to be strong -- and we have no use for sloppy thinkers. If you can't yet write competently, learn to. - Eric Raymond

---
My awards for being so awesome
Spoiler:

+Quote Post

Getdizzy
post Dec 1 2010, 01:57 AM
Post #12

Group Icon

Type: Undisclosed
Alignment: Unaligned

QUOTE (BigEd781 @ Nov 30 2010, 04:59 PM) *
*Snipped for size*

Basically, if you knew what the hell you were talking about you wouldn't be asking this question. Don't be a douche.

*slow clap*

+Quote Post

Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd July 2014 - 08:54 PM

RPGMakerVX.net is an Privacy Policy, Legal.