iPhone App Directory
RPG Maker VX

Gallery Members Search Calendar Help

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Collapse

>Announcement

Keep an eye out for the upcoming 3rd Quarter Contest!
9 Pages V  « < 7 8 9  
Closed TopicStart new topic
> Twice Upon A Hero
LusterMX
post Aug 12 2011, 01:54 PM
Post #161

Group Icon

Type: Designer
Alignment: Neutral Good

Wow Lunarea, you're so lucky to have so many fans!
I was playing through your demo, it was quite enjoyable, although I was iffy towards the battle system, after I was unable to find a simple attack command which wouldn't require any mp. I see that you made it so that the Healer in the game cannot attack either. I encountered the monster with the nectar, however I died. I suppose I found the battle system a bit too difficult and unclear to use. Instead of the rect thing, I think an arrow putting towards the actor is much more useful.
Another one of your weak points I have noticed is the eventing. I think you should spruce up those little bits to make it more appealing. For example, the plant monster... It could have died by lowering it's opacity slowly, but instead it was just taken away by a simple: change graphic - none. Also, I'm pretty sure you can animate those doors that you are using.
When I entered the town for the first time, the mapping didn't look so good at first, because there wasn't much to see (on screen). There was a rectangular brick path, some RTP trees. But of course, with someone of your talents, as I went through the town it looked much better, but the first impression wasn't too good and such a sudden change from the aveyond trees! Speaking of aveyond trees, it didn't seem to blend too well with the other tiles for my liking (since those trees were originally built for XP). I think you should lower the brightness and up the contrast for the trees, but I'm not graphics expert so if you think it's fine...
I must say though, your indoor maps are the best! It's so nice to explore them. And say the lovely details you've added in there.
I haven't played much of the game but those are my first thoughts.

Keep up the good work Lunarea.

--------------------

I support
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Lunarea
post Aug 17 2011, 04:13 PM
Post #162

Group Icon

Type: Artist
Alignment: True Neutral

@ LusterMX:
I noticed the same issue with the early graphics and that's why I'm redoing the early maps. When I started the project, I jumped into it from RMXP and it took a lot of adjusting to a new palette and style. I've redone the forests already and it makes a big difference:
You can read more details in my developer blog. smile.gif

Now, to answer your specific questions ...
Wow Lunarea, you're so lucky to have so many fans!

I sure am! I can tell you how much I appreciate the support and what a great motivator it's been to keep working on the project.

I was unable to find a simple attack command which wouldn't require any mp.

That was intentional. I wanted to move away from the classic strategy where the player spams "attack" until things die and only uses magic if monsters are immune to physical attacks or if it's a boss fight. By having all skills require MP, it should encourage you to try different skills and different strategies. It also encourages you to plan ahead instead of just reacting to the enemy's action.
Since all moves rely on MP, I've also tried to give several ways to recover MP. Each character has an MP recovery skill, which will recover a good portion of their MP over 3 turns. Cordelia has a skill that she can use once per battle that will use up all of her MP to restore the MP of the rest of the party. After each fight, 50% of MP and HP are restored. So, you go into every fight with at least half your mana. I've also made sure you get plenty of potions and restoratives. They restore a % of MP/HP (50% at the lowest) for an individual or a party. You will find quite a bit more of them laying about in chests or through quests and you will also be able to create some through crafting or trade (shopping). So, there's no reason to try to conserve the basic ones.

you made it so that the Healer in the game cannot attack either.

She can attack with Holy Shock. It's at the bottom of the list. You will also have the opportunity to teach her (or another character) a couple other damage skills. But as a healer, she will never cause heavy damage.

Instead of the rect thing, I think an arrow putting towards the actor is much more useful.

Do you mean when an actor is selected? Something like that would probably require scripting, which I can't do.
The selected actor is brighter than the others and each character has an individual skill command name. So, I didn't think it was terribly confusing. But if others agree, I guess I could take a look at it.

I think you should spruce up those little bits to make it more appealing.

It would be great to spend some time making events much fancier. That would also mean that I'd have to delay releasing new content even more, though. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to add all kinds of detail (lots of sprite poses, for example). But in the big scope of things, it's still a very minor detail and it would add a lot of work to what's already on the plate. I'm planning on finishing the project, so I have to compromise somewhere.

Also, I'm pretty sure you can animate those doors that you are using.

They're in the parallax and some walls are lined up a bit different. I probably could spend time animating them and lining them up to work with the new position, but it's such a small thing that I'm not sure that it's worth the time.

Keep up the good work Lunarea.

Thanks! I'm certainly trying. laugh.gif

+Quote Post

Lunarea
post Sep 15 2011, 05:53 PM
Post #163

Group Icon

Time for another update in this thread! As usual, you can read weekly updates (and random musings) in my developer blog.

As I may have mentioned, there's a discrepancy between the early areas and the maps I've done more recently. Some of it is due to just having more resources available now than there were a year ago and the rest is due to developing a mapping style. So, I've redone most of the early maps to reflect the kind of graphical quality you will encounter in later chapters. By "most", I mean that I have 2 maps to go and everything will be up to date.

To show an example of revamped areas, here's an old screenshot of the inn in Summervale:
It's not horrendously bad or anything, but it's definitely not along the same vein as the rest of the maps you've seen.

Here's a screenshot of an updated map:
Much better, no?

I'm hoping to finish the other two maps this week and then work a bit more on polishing the older content. I think I've got all the bugs that have been reported and I've finished most of the re-integration for the new & updated quest script. I will try to release this updated version by mid October - provided I'm not completely overwhelmed with packing and moving.

That's all for this update! Thanks for reading. biggrin.gif

+Quote Post

Ronove
post Sep 15 2011, 06:03 PM
Post #164

I do not bite!
Group Icon

Type: Writer

Your screens always look top-notch. tongue.gif It's all looking very wonderful now!

+Quote Post

Lunarea
post Sep 15 2011, 06:47 PM
Post #165

Group Icon

Thanks, Ronnie!

I totally think the same think when I see your screens. laugh.gif

+Quote Post

quigonkeichy
post Sep 15 2011, 07:17 PM
Post #166

I MOVE THE STARS FOR NO ONE.
Group Icon

Type: Writer
Alignment: Lawful Evil

Looking awesome as usual smile.gif Really looking forward to playing the updated version!

--------------------

My project!

I support:
Spoiler:

+Quote Post

GimmeJakeSauvage
post Sep 16 2011, 11:07 PM
Post #167

Group Icon

Alignment: Unaligned

I LOVE you Lunarea. Seriously, you have the ability to take something like the VX RTP and stylize it so that I feel like it's completely original and unique to your project (EDIT: I know some of the things ARE, but still...). That's only one example too, your previous projects had the same feel to them. AUTHENTICITY. I have nothing bad to say about this, it's the first VX game I've actually committed more than 10 minutes to, and I had such a good time playing it. Thank you so much for being such an inspiring member of the community!

This post has been edited by GimmeJakeSauvage: Sep 16 2011, 11:09 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post

Celianna
post Sep 16 2011, 11:15 PM
Post #168

Group Icon

Alignment: Chaotic Evil

The revamped maps are looking much better! The flower shop in particular looks very ... flowery, for lack of better a word. You're definitely right about there not being many resources available a year ago, there was the option to use the RTP or Mack, and that was it. Not much choice laugh.gif

+Quote Post

Lunarea
post Sep 17 2011, 04:22 AM
Post #169

Group Icon

@Jakey:
Aw, thank you! I'm really happy that you enjoyed playing. Reading comments like yours is such an awesome motivator. It definitely makes the effort and time put into this project worth it.

@Celianna:
Definitely! I love the RTP, but it's so much nicer to have a few extra options. If nothing else, all the tiles give a much bigger base to do lots of editing and customizing. :3

+Quote Post

Croogix
post Oct 7 2011, 11:32 PM
Post #170

Group Icon

Type: Undisclosed
Alignment: Neutral Good

This.Must.Be.Finished.

Do.It.

Nao.

But in all seriousness, this looks awesome. The graphics are very catchy without being distracting, the characters are all well developed, the text is actually grammatically correct and typo free, there are plenty of side quests, lots of storyline gameplay, an interesting plot, and LOADS of potential for future development. Please please please PLEASE don't drop this project, and please try and have it all ready soon (not too soon, that'd be crazy, but soon smile.gif ). I would seriously pay to play the full and complete version of this game.

Out of curiosity, how many chapters do you think there may be? Or is that still undecided/up in the air? Either way, I hope chapter 3 is going well! Can't wait to see that update.

+Quote Post

Lunarea
post Oct 8 2011, 03:09 PM
Post #171

Group Icon

Thank you for your message and your support, Croogix! I'm still very hard at work on the project. I try to save some time every day to do TUAH-related things.

I have 10 chapters planned, with a total of about 10 hours of play. When I came up with the original concept, I was going for around 30ish hours of gameplay, but that is a bit too ambitious. I really want to finish this project, so it's been compacted a bit without sacrificing the story or the gameplay fun.

Chapter 3 development is going very well. I'm currently finishing up some much needed database and script fiddling work that will make it so saved games can transfer over between chapters. There will be a 2.5 release very soon with revamped chapters 1 and 2, as well as a partial chapter 3. wink.gif

+Quote Post

Shasse
post Oct 31 2011, 11:20 AM
Post #172

Group Icon

Im sorry if their private or you have permission from someone else to use them but i cant those trees that you use in most of your screenshots anywhere on this forum maybe i havent looked hard enough but i really cant find them im sure they were made by you but i cant find them ohmy.gif please send a link
or direct me to where you found them. thanks in advance biggrin.gif

Sorry i forgot they're the trees you use in summervale that are scattered everywhere. Im sure there is a snowy one aswell.

This post has been edited by Shasse: Oct 31 2011, 11:21 AM

+Quote Post

Korokage
post Nov 1 2011, 10:13 PM
Post #173

Group Icon

Alignment: Chaotic Neutral

This game is bosses like a boss.

Quick question though. While this is probably something that I can do and I overlooked it for some reason, is there a way to go back to previous areas and turn in my side quests once I've gotten to the tower?

--------------------
I support:

+Quote Post

Lunarea
post Nov 2 2011, 01:45 AM
Post #174

Group Icon

@Shasse:
They're from Amaranth Studios (creator of Aveyond). They were publicly released some time ago. smile.gif

@Korokage:
Thank you!

You will be able to travel more freely in Chapter 3. The first couple of chapters are pretty linear, so you haven't overlooked anything. smile.gif

+Quote Post

Korokage
post Nov 2 2011, 02:53 AM
Post #175

Group Icon

Alignment: Chaotic Neutral

Oh thank goodness. @__@ I was really worried because I'm one of those guys that has to get 100% on whatever game I play, so knowing that I haven't missed anything is reassuring. XD

--------------------
I support:

+Quote Post

Shasse
post Nov 3 2011, 11:05 AM
Post #176

Group Icon

Thanks, I'm following your game closely aswell and i must say the graphics are very nice a good variety and alot of exploration aswell. Puzzles are a nice touch aswell! happy.gif

+Quote Post

Lunarea
post Mar 15 2012, 10:16 PM
Post #177

Group Icon

The list of updates is very extensive, but this is probably as close as I can get to a finalized version of the first two chapters. The updates include graphics as well as new content. The story is, for the most part, still the same. It's a great reminder for those of you who have played it a long time ago.

Chapter 3 is well underway and will be up for beta testing in a few weeks. If you are interested in testing, please let me know! smile.gif

+Quote Post

ak47lol
post Mar 16 2012, 12:19 AM
Post #178

Group Icon

Alignment: Chaotic Evil

Nice surprise, Lunarea. I will try this soon. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

Lunarea
post Mar 16 2012, 10:52 PM
Post #179

Group Icon

A lot of changes are happening on this forum, and I'm no longer comfortable hosting my project here.

You can find my project in my developer blog, or find me over at the official forum. I really hope you will check out either one. Your support has been absolutely fantastic and I am very very fortunate to have been able to share this with you.

I've saved this thread in its entirety, as a way to always feel inspired and motivated.

Thanks so much,
Luna

+Quote Post

9 Pages V  « < 7 8 9
Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st September 2014 - 12:44 PM

RPGMakerVX.net is an Privacy Policy, Legal.