iPhone App Directory
RPG Maker VX

Gallery Members Search Calendar Help

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Collapse

>Announcement

Keep an eye out for the upcoming 3rd Quarter Contest!
9 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Closed TopicStart new topic
> Twice Upon A Hero
Halik
post Dec 26 2010, 08:29 PM
Post #21

Group Icon

Type: Designer
Alignment: Neutral Good

I've downloaded it and played a bit, haven't finished yet but I plan too.
I'm enjoying the story but the combat has to be balanced. As it is now is plain boring and a matter of how many turns
Alistair takes to kill things! In the few battles I was involved (which were against a plant 2 bettles and the hornet) I felt annoyed, Alistair did all
the damage and Penelope was useless, since Alistair has all her spells and a couple more and actually deals damage!
I would hate to see such a beautiful and interesting game being destroyed by careless balancing.
I understand and actually praise all the work done in the story and character development you made, but at least make the combat bearable.

I won't review it because I've yet to finish the game, but my expectations are high!

Keep the good work.

--------------------

Spoiler:

I support:

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Sephigruen
post Dec 26 2010, 10:44 PM
Post #22

Rhuddblaidd
Group Icon

Type: Writer
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral

Yay, best VX game I ever played! It's so great and I'm so sad it's over. Will it go on soon? I needed about one hour and I didn't realized the time going by. XD I want to play on. Someone should make a Let's Play about this. (Well, there is some of my game and it's far away from this. U__U)

My opinion:

+ Mapping. Btw, the Tiles are great and the mapping is so awesome. I guess I can learn a lot from this.
+Characters. I can feel with them.
+ Battle System. Is it the normal one? I love frontview, too many people use sideview.
+ Everything else ...

- ... There's nothing to write here.

Go on this way.

~ Alex.

This post has been edited by Sephigruen: Dec 26 2010, 10:48 PM

--------------------
Canta pro me..

+Quote Post

Lunarea
post Dec 27 2010, 03:30 PM
Post #23

Group Icon

Type: Artist
Alignment: True Neutral

@Halik:
As I mentioned in a previous comment, I haven't decided on a battle system yet. I've barely touched the database concerning the battles, and they're mostly there for story-telling purposes. It seemed a better idea than just a "this is where a battle you win goes" message. Once I've decided on how battles (or lack thereof) should go, I will be sure to create just the right challenge for the players.

One thing that will stay, however, is that Alistair will be overpowered in the beginning. He's had a lot more experience and training than his companions. As the story progresses, his companions' unique talents should prove to be more useful.

I'm looking forward to your review!

@Sephigruen:
Wow, thank you for the kind words! I'm very happy you've enjoyed it.

I am still working on this whenever I have a spare moment. The second chapter has more puzzles, more quest and more places to explore. Consequently, it's taking a little longer to pull together. Right now is a very busy time for me in terms of work and family obligations, but I'm hoping to release chapter two within weeks.

+Quote Post

Feldschlacht IV
post Dec 27 2010, 05:58 PM
Post #24

renegade interrupt
Group Icon

Type: Undisclosed
Alignment: Unaligned

I'm definitely going to check this game out; its focus on characters and relationships seems to hark back to the days of Romancing Walker. I, however, insist on having an equally balanced approach to gameplay though; that's incredibly important.

+Quote Post

Lunarea
post Dec 29 2010, 03:50 AM
Post #25

Group Icon

@Feldschlacht IV:
That's one of the reasons why the chapter 2 release is taking longer, actually. I'm trying to increase the gameplay elements and give the player something to do - rather than just walk around or stare at lengthy cutscenes.

I do realize that the first chapter is more story-oriented than anything else, but I hope I've at least made it entertaining.

+Quote Post

Celianna
post Dec 29 2010, 05:13 AM
Post #26

Group Icon

Alignment: Chaotic Evil

I'm trying this out and I've liked the beginning so far. The way Alistair interacts with people, it's pretty realistic and cozy. I really liked the first map (the snow town) where it started, very cute! I'm of the opinion that the mix matching of pixel-art plus the RTP doesn't go well together. Seeing the forest, and then transferring to the town, it's such a big contrast. That's the only gripe I have with the mapping.

Oh, I spotted an error when Cordelia fainted in the garden thingy. Once the cutscene starts, I think your overlapping image (the trees) went poof, and thus the rocks on the map show up on top of the trees, like here:

+Quote Post

Lunarea
post Dec 29 2010, 06:10 PM
Post #27

Group Icon

@Celianna:

Thanks for trying it out! I hope to continue to develop the characters through interactions and dialogue. I'm currently working on adding more observations and interact-able objects.

I fixed the erase picture error (no idea why it was there in the first place >_>). I, personally, don't mind pixel and non-pixel together. I do try to at least soften the pixel a little by blurring and I did some hue/contrast changing so the colors would match a bit better. Unfortunately, I don't have the time to do completely custom graphics for everything, and the pieces I'm using are really exceptional. But it's definitely something to consider once the project is done.

+Quote Post

BlazeC
post Jan 6 2011, 03:53 AM
Post #28

Group Icon

Very nice game so far! I can't wait for the rest of the game to be done. Please keep up the good work.

+Quote Post

K-REX
post Jan 12 2011, 02:27 PM
Post #29

Group Icon

Type: Designer

Wow, I loved the demo it was so well made, loved the mapping! Can't wait for more, seriously keep up the good work! This is one great game!

+Quote Post

Emmych
post Jan 22 2011, 10:28 AM
Post #30

Group Icon

Alignment: Chaotic Neutral

Holy mackeral, this is excellent so far! I just finished chapter one and I am very, VERY impressed! c:
I really like Alistair as a character. He's well written, consistent, and just plain likeable! I think that's what impresses me most about this project so far - the consistency of the characters.
Also: mapping? Holy bajeezus, I wish I could map like that! xD I'm guessing it's parallax mapping, right? Simply lovely.

Ooh, and one more thing: that track, "mount01": what's it from? It sounds super familiar and it's driving me crazy trying to figure it out. xD

Soooo, yeah. Can't wait to see it finished~!

+Quote Post

Lunarea
post Jan 22 2011, 08:24 PM
Post #31

Group Icon

Chapter 2 is progressing very well. I'm hoping to be able to give you a partial release within a week. If things go well, the full chapter should be complete in 2 weeks! *happy dance*
I've added a quest log script, so I've had to go back and re-do certain events. However, it should help you keep track of side quests a lot better.

~
@BlazeC:
Thank you! I am spending most of my free time working on it. Chapter 2 is starting to shape up already. It took a lot of work, but it's nice to see it flow well together

@K-REX:
Thanks so much for your kind words! I hope that future releases will be up to your liking.

@emmych:
Aw, such a sweet reply. Thank you! I'm always amazed at how many little things players pick up. Like character continuity and subtle development, for example. It's something that was definitely on my mind as a developer, but I never thought the players would notice it a whole lot.

The mapping is, indeed, parallax. It just appeals to the artsy side of me, and I can't help but fiddle with it. I'm very happy with the results, and even more happy to hear you guys like them too.

The track mount01 is from Freedom House. The music on that website is really wonderful, and very familiar! I think some songs are arrangements of RPG-Maker music, dating back to 2K, and others are originals along the same vein.

+Quote Post

Alismuffin
post Jan 23 2011, 05:35 AM
Post #32

Group Icon

Finally! A hero with the same name as me. I've awaited this day since... well actually I haven't really waited for it.

It's a great story, and I can't wait to play this

+Quote Post

.victini
post Jan 24 2011, 09:06 PM
Post #33

Group Icon

Although I have only place a few VX games from this site, I have to say... This is AMAZING!

I was semi-devastated when I reached the end of Chapter I! I was like, " NOES!" and I ended up playing again. I love this, Lunarea, you have definitely inspired me to give a second thought to my game. I thank you immensely! I've been working on the game for about a year now, and thanks to the loss of my data due to my computer dieing on me, I think a fresh start and inspiration from a game of this magnitude will help. smile.gif

The mapping... is simply breathtaking. I never realized the power of parallax.. it truly allows an artist's creativity to flow. I give the beautiful maps a thumbs up! Interiors are always my weak point, but yours are small but they work. Fabulous job! The characters are very realistic. Especially Alistair. His interaction with this around him. Cordelia, while I didn't like the part where she became infatuated with him, she's cute; I can learn to deal with that.

Everything else, like I said earlier, is fabulous!
Keep up the amazing work on this excellent example of a game!

~ .victini

+Quote Post

Paschendaele
post Jan 24 2011, 10:13 PM
Post #34

Che
Group Icon

Type: Spriter

Impressive screens so far, gonna download and provide criticism

--------------------
I am a spriter in:
Spoiler:

+Quote Post

Lunarea
post Jan 24 2011, 11:33 PM
Post #35

Group Icon

@Alismuffin:
It's an awesome name! Looking forward to hearing your thoughts. smile.gif

@.victini:
First, let me say that I am absolutely beaming, reading over your comments! There is no greater compliment than knowing that what one makes inspires someone to be creative. Reading your post really made my day, heck, made my week probably. biggrin.gif

It really sucks that you lost all of your project data. It's such a depressing thought. But maybe it will give you a chance to create something even better. I'll definitely be on the lookout for your new project.

Thank you so much for your kind comment! I hope I can continue to share Alistair's story with you, and I promise I'll try to hurry up with new content.

@Paschendaele:
Thanks! I hope you enjoy playing, and I'll watch out for your review smile.gif

+Quote Post

Paschendaele
post Jan 25 2011, 12:12 AM
Post #36

Che
Group Icon

I reached Summervale town. Review so far:

Mapping: 9/10

Can't seem to find a better one.

Storyline 8/10

Not many have a badass start, and a badass main character.

Battles 3/10

The worst part, too easy, and not that original, sorry bra.

Characters 8/10

As stated before

Music 4/10

Could use some help.

All in all 7/10

--------------------
I am a spriter in:
Spoiler:

+Quote Post

Lunarea
post Jan 25 2011, 01:39 AM
Post #37

Group Icon

Thanks for the review!

I've mentioned this in the thread, but I really hadn't touched the battle system. I'm still in the process of of figuring out how the battles will go, and I don't really anticipate having done anything until chapter 3. I may look into recruiting one of the wonderfully talented people on the forums here. What you see in game right now, is the equivalent of "now you fight a boss battle" text. It's more of a reminder for myself of the abilities the bosses will have (plants will be mostly inert/defensive, the bee will have some sort of status effect, imp will be able to heal himself,etc). I do appreciate the reminders that it needs to be tackled before too long.

I have a few original compositions in chapter 1, and a fantastic piece by Joerao in chapter 2. For size issues, I've used mostly midis for background area music (ex: towns), mainly to tone down the size of the download. I'm not against changing things around to add more originality, but finding that perfect song can be a big challenge! Is there any particular themes that were worse than others?

+Quote Post

Paschendaele
post Jan 25 2011, 01:52 AM
Post #38

Che
Group Icon

QUOTE (Lunarea @ Jan 25 2011, 01:39 AM) *
Thanks for the review!

I've mentioned this in the thread, but I really hadn't touched the battle system. I'm still in the process of of figuring out how the battles will go, and I don't really anticipate having done anything until chapter 3. I may look into recruiting one of the wonderfully talented people on the forums here. What you see in game right now, is the equivalent of "now you fight a boss battle" text. It's more of a reminder for myself of the abilities the bosses will have (plants will be mostly inert/defensive, the bee will have some sort of status effect, imp will be able to heal himself,etc). I do appreciate the reminders that it needs to be tackled before too long.

I have a few original compositions in chapter 1, and a fantastic piece by Joerao in chapter 2. For size issues, I've used mostly midis for background area music (ex: towns), mainly to tone down the size of the download. I'm not against changing things around to add more originality, but finding that perfect song can be a big challenge! Is there any particular themes that were worse than others?

I am truly sorry about that, they were great if done by you. Thought they were rtp. My bad. I will provide a better review once I nailed it. Still in the beginning right?

--------------------
I am a spriter in:
Spoiler:

+Quote Post

Lunarea
post Jan 25 2011, 02:48 AM
Post #39

Group Icon

I wish I had musical talent! No, the custom pieces are the opening (which was made by Reives) and the original midis are from a couple very lovely Japanese midi blogs. biggrin.gif

+Quote Post

Paschendaele
post Jan 25 2011, 11:47 AM
Post #40

Che
Group Icon

QUOTE (Lunarea @ Jan 25 2011, 02:48 AM) *
I wish I had musical talent! No, the custom pieces are the opening (which was made by Reives) and the original midis are from a couple very lovely Japanese midi blogs. biggrin.gif

Oh I see, that would make you up to 8/10 in overall biggrin.gif

--------------------
I am a spriter in:
Spoiler:

+Quote Post

9 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th September 2014 - 05:01 PM

RPGMakerVX.net is an Privacy Policy, Legal.