iPhone App Directory
RPG Maker VX

Gallery Members Search Calendar Help

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Collapse

>Announcement

Keep an eye out for the upcoming 3rd Quarter Contest!

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Undying Eternal (Demo 1 released!), A horror adventure/RPG hybrid set in an atmospheric world.
Dark Gaia
post Dec 23 2010, 04:57 AM
Post #1

Group Icon

Type: Designer

Introduction

Undying Eternal is a gothic horror themed role playing game made in RPG Maker VX set in an atmospheric world that draws heavily from writings by H.P Lovecraft, Bram Stoker and Mary Shelley. In Undying Eternal, you take control of a famed demon hunter called to rid the isolated village of Aventhorn of a demonic presence. This is only the beginning of a much more sinister crisis, and as you role play your character in Undying Eternal, you'll be able to influence the plotline and your own reputation through actions, dialogue options and more.

Story

You are a demon hunter. For years, you've spent your life travelling to the darkest corners of the realm and vanquishing horrific, eldritch creatures for gold, glory and fame. Your adventures have become urban legend and your name is whispered in awed conversation in taverns all over the land.
On one stormy, fateful night, you recieve a hastily written letter, informing you of a crisis in the isolated mining village of Aventhorn. Lord Aventhorn has sealed himself within Nightshade Estate and the town is under siege by an army of nightmarish demons. The town seems doomed to fate, unless someone intervenes.
Knowing only that a challenging adveture and malevolent opposition awaits you, you once again sheath your weapon within your trenchcoat, slip your fedora upon your head and set off into the night, to the small trading post in the mountains where you are to meet your contact.

You are the Demon Hunter!

Undying Eternal is designed to flow like an old style pen and paper RPG, rather than a typical Final Fantasy style game. In Undying Eternal you can actually role play your character! As the Demon Hunter, you'll have plenty of opportunities to be altruistic, greedy, scheming and just plain evil. You'll have the chance to influence people, make friends and enemies and even woo a love interest. What kind of Demon Hunter are you? Play how you want to and watch how the story begins to change and NPC reactions reflect your playing style.

The World of Undying Eternal

Spoiler:
Grimlore and Duskmoon

Undying Eternal is set in the dark fantasy world of Grimlore. More specifically, it is set in the kingdom of Duskmoon, a small, temperate mountainous region in the north.

Duskmoon initially resembles a typical fantasy setting; it is home to cosy, isolated hamlets ruled by lords, sprawling trade and port cities, castles, ruins and fortresses. It is a kingdom ruled by a peaceful monarchy, based in the capital of Dawnhold in the east, and its medieval society lives in relative peace.
However, Duskmoon is not what it seems to be on the surface. Ruins of an ancient, unknown civilisation dot the landscape, including the mysterious Demonic Gates that allow demons access from the underworld and an oppressive, inexplicable feeling of dread hangs in there air wherever one goes, and one constantly feels as if they are watched by some eldritch, undying evil.
The people of Duskmoonare occasionally terrorised the demonic visitors who emerge from the bizarre gateways, and people like the Demon Hunter, people both brave and stupid, eke out a living and sometimes a reputation combating these evil foes who have plagued the kingdom since time immemorial.

Once one has spent enough time within its borders, it should become startingly apparent soon enough that Duskmoon is a place under siege by lurking evil and beset by nervous hysteria.
Despite this, it is a beautiful land with breathtaking sights to behold and diverse climates to enjoy. It is a land worth fighting for. As a Demon Hunter, its ultimate fate could very well be in your hands.

The Demonic Gates

The malevolent demons enter Duskmoon through the Demonic Gates, mysterious relics left behind by a lost, nameless civilisation that are scattered throughout the land. The gates form entrances to the underworld, a terrifying hive of evil below the planet's surface where devils and monsters perpetually plot maccabre plans to wrench upon the human population above.

The original purpose of the Demonic Gates is unknown. Why would anyone build doorways that lead to a world of nightmares? There are many theories relating to this topic; some claim that the gateways were used by ancient cultures to siphon dark energy away from the underworld to power their technology. Others suggest that the civilisation that built the gates was demonic itself, and the gateways serve as a means for them to return to the lands they once held. Either way, no matter their purpose, the Demonic Gates are regarded with fear and are typically avoided, as only Demon Hunters and elite clergymen have the ability to seal them and bar the demons access, albeit only temporarily.

Features

- A mysterious, non linear story reminiscent of Lovecraft and Stoker split into four chapters, each with its own major demon to hunt.
- Deep, expressive characters, whose disposition towards you changes depending on your actions towards them.
- Multitudes of dialogue options, allowing you to role play the Demon Hunter as a paragon, a bastard, a mercenary and more.
- Challenging turn based combat against demonic foes with an emphasis on tactics and strategy.
- A unique combat system without elements that allows you to realistically determine what attacks will work against certain enemies; can you blind something with no eyes?

Screenshots

Download

You can download Demo 1 of Undying Eternal here:
http://rpgmaker.net/games/2750/

This demo covers the first 1-2 hours of gameplay. Keep in mind that it is intended mainly to gather feedback about the game, and is very rough and unpolished and may be unbalanced.

Credits
- Woratana, Yanfly, epic gee, Shanghai and TDS for scripts.
- Mack and FSM for graphics.
- Koori-kun for music.
- Craze and Karsuman for inspiration.

This post has been edited by Dark Gaia: Oct 15 2011, 09:30 AM

--------------------
Click the images below to play my games! All of them are fully complete!

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Scorneo
post Dec 25 2010, 08:53 PM
Post #2

If n = infinity, (1+(1/n))^n=1
Group Icon

Type: Undisclosed
Alignment: Lawful Good

"The creator of the One Night trilogy proudly presents his next master piece."
is much more appealing than "Non linear horror themed RPG set in an atmospheric world."
Just saying...

I love lovecrafts literature, especially The Shadow Over Innsmouth but the title is sounds too familiar to another (commercial) game based on lovecrafts work which is called Eternal Darkness. I don't know if it's on purpose but it makes me think that the two games are connected.

I really enjoyed the One Night games (few RMVX games that i actually took my time to play from start to finish). I am a bit disappointed that this project will be using a turn-based battle system.. That's a total horror buzzkill. Horror should be scary and based on reflexes! Not on strategy and button-mashing.

--------------------
QUOTE (Albert Einstein)
Imagination is more important than knowledge.

+Quote Post

Oceano
post Dec 25 2010, 10:31 PM
Post #3

I Shot The Sheriff
Group Icon

Alignment: Unaligned

Epic gee is in the credits? How, might I ask?

--------------------

MISS MAY I
ROSE FUNERAL
EMMURE

+Quote Post

Dark Gaia
post Dec 27 2010, 05:26 AM
Post #4

Group Icon

Hi everyone!

@Scorneo: It uses a turn based battle system because it's actually an RPG, not an all out horror game like One Night. It won't be outwardly scary either, but it will be atmospheric and a little creepy. It's kind of a mix between One Night and Legionwood, really. Also, I'm aware of the title "Eternal Darkness" - there was no intention on my part to connect the two. That game is actually based on Lovecraftian lore, while my game really only borrows its atmosphere; it's based on its own original mythos of my creation.

@Oceano: Epic gee made a modification to the command window in the title screen.

Also... Progress Update!

Monday, December 27th, 2010

Hi everyone! So, with the festive season and of course New Year's celebrations coming soon, I haven't had as much time as I would have liked to work on Undying Eternal.
However, I have made some progress on the game, and the first playable version (still due to be released on January 15th) is coming along nicely. I've been spending a lot of time balancing the opening of the game, as the first hour of the game will play quite differently, in terms of battles, depending on which of the two classes (Sanctifier or Magus) you pick for the Demon Hunter. I've had to spend a lot of time making sure that the monsters can be defeated by both classes, while still proving a challenge, and that both classes are able to hold their own in combat. I only needed to do this for the earlier areas of the game, as the class you did not pick is simply assigned to Auria, who joins your party relatively early (albeit she is at a lower level so is not as skilled in the class as you would be at that point). Later, the party is rounded off with a Fighter, so you should be able to experience a well rounded party with a "tank", a healer and a caster in the final area of the demo.
Aside from that, I've spent time planning out and programming the conversations. These, of course, change slightly depending on what responses you choose and also a variable that tracks your general "niceness" so they are annoying to work on. Although the exploration and gameplay of the game is quite linear, I've started implementing story events that will change a bit depending on the conversations, things such as being offered power by a demon instead of being taunted for more "evil" players, and also how your party members will react to your actions in certain events.
I've also tinkered with the scripts a bit - you will notice that I changed the menu to a cleaner, less awkward looking model. I'm committed to making Undying Eternal my very best project yet, so I very much hope you are able to enjoy the effort I've made - I guess we'll get to see whether it pays off or not when the first demo comes out on January 15h.

Thanks for your intial interest/comments on the game! I hope I can rely on even more informative feedback once a playable version is out to showcase what the game offers.

This post has been edited by Dark Gaia: Dec 27 2010, 06:00 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post

djking1994
post Dec 27 2010, 06:34 PM
Post #5

JRPG FAN!!!!!
Group Icon

Alignment: True Neutral

release date is January 15 2010 that passed already

+Quote Post

Radscythe
post Dec 27 2010, 06:53 PM
Post #6

Waiting for life to pass him by.
Group Icon

Type: Writer
Alignment: Neutral Good

Very few games lately have actually caught my interest, but this on the other hand sounds really amazing and I can't wait until there is a full release for the game in the future.

--------------------
The words that sprout of lies to our souls; if they bear fruit the lies disappear.

Games:
Spoiler:
My Stuff:

Award:
Spoiler:

I support:
Spoiler:

<<< Stare at this in awe.

+Quote Post

Kaimi
post Dec 27 2010, 07:53 PM
Post #7

RPGMakerVX.net's official Seranille lover
Group Icon

I'm looking forward to it.
@Radscythe: Gaia's games are always interesting and they will always catch interest of audience.

--------------------

Thanks to Kaviator for the signature

My resources
Spoiler:

+Quote Post

Confederacy
post Dec 29 2010, 11:53 PM
Post #8

Hello, my sweet lil' honey bee.
Group Icon

Alignment: Chaotic Good

Any project that is influenced by Lovecraft has me interested. My only gripe is the portraits, but other than that, I'm looking forward to trying the demo.

--------------------

Games (they have links! Click them!): Coming soon with *truly* remarkable games!
Oh oh oh, can I contribute to this conversation!?
I have an opinion about a game.

You're an idiot!

+Quote Post

Dark Gaia
post Jan 1 2011, 10:44 AM
Post #9

Group Icon

@djking: Whoops, I meant January 2011. I've fixed it.

@everyone else: Thanks for the show of interest. You won't have to wait to play for much longer.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Dark Gaia
post Jan 10 2011, 10:23 AM
Post #10

Group Icon

Monday, January 10th, 2011

Hi everyone!

Early last week, I was fortunate enough to obtain a brand new laptop, which I desperately needed for my upcoming first semester at university. As I only bought a portable hard drive a few days ago, it's taken the better part of a week to backup all my files (including RPG Maker) and move them over onto the new computer. Undying Eternal is safe and sound, but needless to say, this was time that I was unable to spend on developing the game. As such, there may be a slight delay in the game's release as I'll need to make up lost time. As such, I've moved the release date up from the 15th to the 30th. If I complete the release earlier, however, which is still possible, there's a chance it may be sooner.

Thanks for your support! You'll have a playable version to critique soon!

--------------------

+Quote Post

Oopsifarted
post Jan 16 2011, 12:49 PM
Post #11

Group Icon

Your mapping is fantastic! I've got much more progress to get through before catching up with you, even though we have the same tileset. :/

+Quote Post

Dark Gaia
post Jan 25 2011, 04:03 AM
Post #12

Group Icon

I'm using a set of premade maps to model my own maps on. I'm usually not this good a mapper, but basing my maps heavily on premade maps makes it look a lot better.

Also...

Tuesday, 25th of January, 2010

Quick update on Undying Eternal's progress - the game is chugging along nicely and I am making steady progress. I do intend to release the first playable chapter as soon as possible and a definite release date is within the next few weeks, however ongoing internet and computer problems (try transporting files from one laptop to another while also getting your internet upgraded in a rural area) as well as stuff I need to get done before I start university/college in March have caused me to make less progress than I would like. Rest assured however, it is coming. Just thought I'd let you all know since I don't believe in simply vanishing without a word and without a release to show for it.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Drakkonok
post Feb 23 2011, 07:31 PM
Post #13

Group Icon

Type: Undisclosed
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral

were did u find those battlers? they r amazing!

+Quote Post

Dark Gaia
post Oct 15 2011, 09:32 AM
Post #14

Group Icon

Saturday, October 15th 2011
As I write this, the first ever public release of Undying Eternal has been uploaded and is available at RMN!

Covering the first hour and a half to two hours of gameplay, Demo 1 is intended to provide a basic look at the mechanics and "feel" of the game. As this is the first public release and prior to this point the game has only been tested by myself, this demo may not best represent the difficulty that I am aiming for in the game. The point of this demo is to have people play the game, to aid me in balancing it and to gain an insight as to whether the concepts in the game are "working".

So if you've been hanging out to see Undying Eternal for yourself, this is your chance. Give it a go. You may be pleasantly surprised, but if not, be sure to leave your feedback so that the game can get better in future releases!

--------------------

+Quote Post

fmstwre
post Oct 15 2011, 02:25 PM
Post #15

Group Icon

Ah Dark Gaia it is a pleasure to see you continue your work. As a huge fan of the 'One Night' series this looks incredible to me. Godspeed my friend.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Dark Gaia
post Oct 16 2011, 04:32 AM
Post #16

Group Icon

Hi,

I'm glad you like the look of the game. Keep in mind though that this is not meant to be a traditional horror game like One Night, and simply scaring the player isn't the main objective. It's not quite as scary as One Night. Think of it more like a horror themed RPG.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Kyriaki
post Oct 16 2011, 05:10 AM
Post #17

Reviewer
Group Icon

Alignment: Lawful Neutral

Oh, I love those battlers and am using them in my own game also, they evoke the most gruesome fantasies. ^^ This is an interesting game, I will be sure to make room in my schedule to play it.

--------------------
.: Current Project :.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th July 2014 - 01:12 AM

RPGMakerVX.net is an Privacy Policy, Legal.