iPhone App Directory
RPG Maker VX

Gallery Members Search Calendar Help

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Collapse

>Announcement

The 2nd Quarter Contest has arrived! Go check it out in the Community Announcements now!

> Note for Tutorial Threads

New threads (tutorials) here will go into a moderation queue. You will not see your thread appear when you create it. A moderator will decide if it will be approved or denied.

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> [-Mapping-] World Map Generator, Easy-to-use program with a tutorial to boot!
Rating 4 V
Teanji
post Feb 6 2011, 04:32 AM
Post #1

Golden Sun: Dark Dawn
Group Icon

Type: Designer
Alignment: Neutral Good

Introduction to the Program:
Firstly, and most importantly, this is not my program.
Now, with that out of the way, this is my first time really getting actively involved in these forums, but, I figure that since I'm using tons of Scripts, Resources and Tutorials from here (with credit, naturally) that I should provide a little program I've been using to assist me in creating World Maps.
I picked this up around four or five years ago on the GameMaker forums (actually before YoYo Games came to be) so I highly doubt that its original source still exists (and, well, when I found it the topic had been dead for months because its use with GameMaker was obviously quite limited as RPGs aren't exactly the programs strong point).

Screenshots:
Enough history! Onto the main meat of this thread! Now, keep in mind that obviously the maps don't look overly appealing in these screenshots.. But, hey! Once you map them out in RPG Maker they look superb.
Right, well, I best stop rambling and actually show you some examples before moving onto the tutorial:
Spoiler:

Interesting, no? Well here's a little eye candy from my WIP project that uses many bits and pieces off these maps to create a rather detailed world. I did opt to create my own "filling" though and just use the outlines of the continents from those maps. You'll notice that the map is obviously incomplete, but regardless, it's an excellent example of the power this program holds. Note that this screenshot is rather large (even though it is in the 1/8 view mode):
Spoiler:

Tutorial:
Spoiler:

Step 1:
After downloading and opening the program you'll see a screen much like this:

Step 2:
Open up the options menu and the following will appear:

- Choose an appropriate Width between 50 to 640 and a Height between 50 to 480.
- Tick the box below the dimensions if you want the generator to displays mountains (do this if you want to copy the generated map EXACTLY when recreating it in RPG Maker otherwise its not really needed).
- Choose a number between 1 and 4 for the general size of your continents (typically 4 is the best option as islands are still made regardless).
- Depending on your chosen settings the number of maximum continents you can have will change from 2 to 22, choose whatever is most applicable.

Step 3:
Close the settings box and hit the Generate button (or Spacebar) to begin:

..Keep in mind however that the higher the settings you choose the longer it'll take for the program to finish:

Step 4:
Choose to export the map as a Bitmap (it'll appear exactly as you can see in the program now) or a height-map (a black and white version to better help you understand the height levels of the map). Regardless of your choice the file will be saved as a bmp file.

Step 5:
Open the image in any program you desire and begin copying it! Here's the finished product from this tutorial:

For the best result mix and match continents from various maps, the example from my WIP game uses around 5 different maps.

External Download:
Here are some alternate download options, if you request a host website I'll likely upload it there as well. Although I imagine most of you won't have a problem just simply downloading it from the attachment in this post (no password).
1: Mediafire

Feel free to upload any Generated Maps that you think are interesting or even ones that your going to use.
Spread the word! Support this tutorial and help out those people that lack the starting point, the trigger if you will, to create their own World Maps.

All credit goes to "Stargames 2007" (listed as the creator on the logo upon opening the program).

This post has been edited by Teanji: Mar 1 2011, 02:34 AM
Attached File(s)
Attached File  map_generatorV1.4.zip ( 1.78MB ) Number of downloads: 755

--------------------

The Golden Sun series is comprised of, by far, my most favorite games.
- Hidden Items, Extra Scenes, Monster Drops, Forge Info, Summons & Djinni [FAQ] (SPOILERS)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Teanji
post Feb 9 2011, 08:26 PM
Post #2

Group Icon

There has been at least 12 downloads and not a single reply commenting to say if this program has been useful. I would really like to see how this program has helped (if it has helped anyone). Please leave your comments, thanks.

--------------------

- Hidden Items, Extra Scenes, Monster Drops, Forge Info, Summons & Djinni [FAQ] (SPOILERS)

+Quote Post

IceDragon
post Feb 9 2011, 09:33 PM
Post #3

I demand cookies.
Group Icon

Type: Coder

Sorry. I didn't see this. (I'm rarely here in the tutorial section)

Looks interesting, I wonder if I can use this for other things...

--------------------
Spoiler:

To be Hexa-fied

Spoiler:
Other/Reminders--
Support your cookie loving dragon!

CODE
[url="http://www.rpgmakervx.net/index.php?showuser=52960"][img]http://i56.tinypic.com/2d1pfmw.png[/img][/url]

http://www.rpgmakervx.net/index.php?showto...amp;#entry48215 HA AUTOTILES
Pine's Birthday is the 2th of July

WORK ON YOUR TIME MEMORY @___@

+Quote Post

Teanji
post Feb 10 2011, 05:41 AM
Post #4

Group Icon

QUOTE (IceDragon @ Feb 10 2011, 07:33 AM) *
Sorry. I didn't see this. (I'm rarely here in the tutorial section)

Looks interesting, I wonder if I can use this for other things...

Haha, no problem, I was just slightly annoyed that there were no comments even though there were a number of downloads xD.

--------------------

+Quote Post

NAT_Designer
post Feb 10 2011, 09:45 AM
Post #5

Do not expect me to be nice.
Group Icon

Alignment: True Neutral

You can't trust that everybody is in a talking mood. I'll check this out, tell you what I think when I'm done.

--------------------
Never think of yourself as entitled to know how the world works. Your job is to live in it, and follow it's rules. Nothing more.

+Quote Post

The-13th-Secret
post Feb 10 2011, 12:34 PM
Post #6

Group Icon

Type: Writer
Alignment: Lawful Good

EDIT: I missed the OP.

OK, I think this would be worth a download.

This post has been edited by The-13th-Secret: Feb 10 2011, 12:36 PM

--------------------
In memoriam fabularum dedidicimus

+Quote Post

heyoka
post Feb 10 2011, 12:37 PM
Post #7

Group Icon

Type: Undisclosed
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral

Looks very interesting, I'm playing around with it right now. Also the mediafire link only goes to 20 continents instead of 22.

Edit: Such a lovely program, it definitely helped a lot. With this program you can make rather unique maps. However it's indeed advised to use multiple generated images from the generator.

This post has been edited by heyoka: Feb 10 2011, 04:54 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post

Teanji
post Feb 10 2011, 08:39 PM
Post #8

Group Icon

QUOTE (NAT_Designer @ Feb 10 2011, 07:45 PM) *
You can't trust that everybody is in a talking mood. I'll check this out, tell you what I think when I'm done.

Haha, fair enough, seems I got people's attention now though xD.

QUOTE (The-13th-Secret @ Feb 10 2011, 10:34 PM) *
EDIT: I missed the OP.

OK, I think this would be worth a download.

It has worked out well for me for quite some time now, so I felt I had to share it.

QUOTE (heyoka @ Feb 10 2011, 10:37 PM) *
Looks very interesting, I'm playing around with it right now. Also the mediafire link only goes to 20 continents instead of 22.

Edit: Such a lovely program, it definitely helped a lot. With this program you can make rather unique maps. However it's indeed advised to use multiple generated images from the generator.

That's odd.. Are you using the maximum area available? I believe you also need the size setting on 4 to be able to create 22 continents. I did upload the same file to all three places.. I think.
Yeah, I generally grab one continent from each map (unless I don't overly like any of them). The only problem is that the program only does Beaches, Grasslands, Forests and Mountains.

Oh also, like I said since this isn't my program feel free to spread it around -- If you do just give credit to "Stargames 2007", I guess xD.

--------------------

+Quote Post

nicolechan63
post Feb 19 2011, 03:20 AM
Post #9

Group Icon

Type: Undisclosed
Alignment: Unaligned

Thnx for putting this up, I always happen to have problems making maps since I suck at Mapping.
Perhaps now It'll be a lot more easier for me to make them. This is really Great help ^^

+Quote Post

pauluz
post Feb 19 2011, 08:02 AM
Post #10

Weem, YOUR MOM IS AWESOME<3
Group Icon

Alignment: Chaotic Neutral

Good job you made this
EDIT: o btw, Celianna has a wordmap maker too laugh.gif

--------------------
Avatars from dead people can still be alive by their friends.
You should change the name pauluz into kane in your head.

+Quote Post

Teanji
post Feb 26 2011, 11:49 AM
Post #11

Group Icon

QUOTE (nicolechan63 @ Feb 19 2011, 01:20 PM) *
Thnx for putting this up, I always happen to have problems making maps since I suck at Mapping.
Perhaps now It'll be a lot more easier for me to make them. This is really Great help ^^

Exactly the [problem I had, I just didn't know where to start, haha.

QUOTE (pauluz @ Feb 19 2011, 06:02 PM) *
Good job you made this
EDIT: o btw, Celianna has a wordmap maker too laugh.gif

I checked it out a little while ago and reckon that if you use them in conjunction you can make a truly unique world, I really like Celianna's for creating a in-game map item for the players to use as a reference, or, maybe FFX-esc where the dotted lines come up and show you where you need to go next. At least I plan to do something like that anyway, xD

--------------------

+Quote Post

Alexis Fernandes
post Feb 26 2011, 01:18 PM
Post #12

Group Icon

I'm having problems exporting to RPG Maker.

+Quote Post

Teanji
post Feb 26 2011, 10:31 PM
Post #13

Group Icon

QUOTE (Alexis Fernandes @ Feb 26 2011, 11:18 PM) *
I'm having problems exporting to RPG Maker.

That's the only flaw of the program.. It doesn't do that, xD. You have to export it as a BMP and then open the file and I guess, er, painstakingly make the World Map in VX pixel by pixel? Unless your just using it as a rough guideline. Though if you could export it to VX and have it automatically convert to tiles that would be amazing, personally though, I can't see that happening..
Edit: Unless your talking about importing it into VX as a resource, I didn't think you were talking about that because I can do it just fine as a BMP file.

This post has been edited by Teanji: Feb 26 2011, 10:37 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post

Fermmoylle
post Feb 28 2011, 05:51 PM
Post #14

RPG author
Group Icon

Alignment: Unaligned

QUOTE (Teanji @ Feb 26 2011, 07:31 PM) *
That's the only flaw of the program.. It doesn't do that, xD. You have to export it as a BMP and then open the file and I guess, er, painstakingly make the World Map in VX pixel by pixel? Unless your just using it as a rough guideline. Though if you could export it to VX and have it automatically convert to tiles that would be amazing, personally though, I can't see that happening..
Edit: Unless your talking about importing it into VX as a resource, I didn't think you were talking about that because I can do it just fine as a BMP file.

If I was to use the output map with less modifications as possible, I'd resize it to 800% (if I'm not mistaken, each "square" in the output map is 4px wide and each RPGMVX tile is 32px wide), import it as a parallax map, click on the checkbox that allows me to see it on the editor, and, finally, place tile by tile over it.

It would allow me to paste the tiles exactly on the "right" positions and spped the whole work.

--------------------
Marcelo Fermmoylle Paschoalin
Brazilian fantasy novelist

+Quote Post

Teanji
post Mar 1 2011, 02:31 AM
Post #15

Group Icon

QUOTE (Fermmoylle @ Mar 1 2011, 03:51 AM) *
If I was to use the output map with less modifications as possible, I'd resize it to 800% (if I'm not mistaken, each "square" in the output map is 4px wide and each RPGMVX tile is 32px wide), import it as a parallax map, click on the checkbox that allows me to see it on the editor, and, finally, place tile by tile over it.

It would allow me to paste the tiles exactly on the "right" positions and spped the whole work.

That would actually.. That would be pretty damn effective.. I mean, I used it by opening the BMP beside VX and doing tile by tile and it was such a pain, xD. Since I don't have the source I wouldn't be able to modify the program itself to do that. But, that could definitely help.

--------------------

+Quote Post

ozumadrew
post Mar 1 2011, 11:23 PM
Post #16

Group Icon

Type: Artist

interesting program. Im downloading this now

--------------------

+Quote Post

Ronove
post Mar 12 2011, 01:09 AM
Post #17

I do not bite!
Group Icon

Hey! This is very nifty. I was having trouble thinking of good continents and map layout, but this is helping me out tremendously! Thank you so much for providing it. smile.gif

+Quote Post

rosario91818
post Mar 30 2011, 02:42 PM
Post #18

Group Icon

Type: Musician

how could i use this in VX?

+Quote Post

chorrol
post Mar 30 2011, 06:40 PM
Post #19

Trololo
Group Icon

QUOTE (rosario91818 @ Mar 30 2011, 04:42 PM) *
how could i use this in VX?

If you would read the actual topic you would know.

On Topic: Very nice program!

+Quote Post

NightsOnRepeat
post Apr 4 2011, 04:12 AM
Post #20

Group Icon

Alignment: Chaotic Good

Thank you smile.gif

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2014 - 09:56 PM

RPGMakerVX.net is an Privacy Policy, Legal.