iPhone App Directory
RPG Maker VX

Gallery Members Search Calendar Help

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Collapse

>Announcement

The 2nd Quarter Contest has arrived! Go check it out in the Community Announcements now!

> Notes for Complete Game Threads

This forum is for completed RPG Maker VX games. Please do not post threads about games being made in other engines here.

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Spellbinder, ... a game from the mind of Wij ...
OriginalWij
post Mar 22 2011, 01:35 PM
Post #1

I script my own reality ...
Group Icon

Type: Coder
Alignment: Chaotic Evil

STORY

Almost a century ago, an ordinary young man was possessed by an evil spirit accidentally let loose. This spirit, the Visigoth, bound himself to this young man's body with powerful magic and spread fear and chaos across the land. He had taken over almost the entire world in a matter of weeks. All that remained was a stronghold held by the most powerful spellbinders. They knew that they could not beat the Visigoth, so they laid a trap for him. The trap worked. The spirit was separated from this unfortunate young man and banished to the ether. Fast forward to several years later. That young man was now an apprentice spellbinder. He had moved on with his life and had even learned to embrace magic. However, the Visigoth, before being banished, made a vow to return. He just had to bide his time and wait for the right opportunity. He would be back. This was disconcerting to the young spellbinder, because once bound to him, the Visigoth could not bind with any other human ...

WORLD

The world known only as Erf has a system of elementally based towers that provide a protective barrier between the human world and the spirit world. Harmless spirits, such as spiritflies, can pass through this barrier, but the barrier blocks any malevolent magic beings. The four main towers each reside on one of the four main continents. This, obviously, is a world filled with magic. The world government is known as the Magistrate and consists of the most powerful wizards, witches, sorcerers, mages, and spellbinders from all over the planet. Each continent is governed by a Proxy. This Proxy also is responsible for the barrier tower on his or her continent. When the barrier is up, the world is generally an eden. No war, no poverty, no illness. If the barrier were to fall ...

CHARACTERS

Seydoth
Class: Spellbinder
Our protagonist. He became a spellbinder when that evil spirit was removed from him, due to the enormous amount of magic energy that passed through him. He is a little impatient and fed up with being an apprentice. While rough on the outside, he has a heart of gold and rarely refuses a request for help. His manners may not be the best, but he dedicates himself completely to whatever endeavor he pursues and never gives up. If you need someone you can count on, this is the guy you call.

Tamsiss
Class: Sorcerine
In a word, serious. She is work first, work second, maybe play tomorrow. She is known mostly for her healing prowess, however do not underestimate her! She is an accomplished sorcerine that can match any sorcerer in battle. She lives with and takes care of her younger sister. She has strong family values and is extremely loyal. A must for any team.

Zheryn
Class: Necromage
Self-proclaimed famous hunter. Master of the darker magics. Comedian, or so he thinks. Loves to joke around, especially during awkward or inappropriate moments. Very well known amongst some of the seedier people and in some very strange places. A man who is always in search of a good time and a better drink. Overconfident almost to a fault, but it suits him well.

Lyithor
Class: Fairy Knight
Sergeant in a classified section of the military. When you want someone or something dead ... this is who you get to do it. Do not ever question her loyalty. Fairy Knights are forged of great honor and pride. She is the only knight ever to receive the Magistrate's Cross, the highest honor achievable for a soldier. She is also an expert in espionage and infiltration.

SCREENSHOTS

Spoiler:

NOTES

NOTE 1: All credits are displayed at the end of the game.
NOTE 2: Please report any odd occurrences, bugs, or tile errors.
NOTE 3: Criticism is welcome (both good and bad), but please tell me WHY it's awesome or WHY it sucks.
NOTE 4: I STRONGLY recommend you play in FULL SCREEN if playing on some older/slower PCs.
It WILL lag in towns and the intro will not sync correctly otherwise.
NOTE 5: If the font doesn't seem to work, delete the FONT folder in the game and it will use a default font.
NOTE 6: Do NOT re-post without permission.
NOTE 7: Enjoy! 8)

DOWNLOADS

Updated to Version 1.06 [minor fixes]
Wij's Downloads

SUPPORT BAR

CODE
[url=http://www.rpgmakervx.net/index.php?showtopic=43605][img]http://img254.imageshack.us/img254/7510/sbbar3.png[/img][/url]

Note: some sites may require the link address to be in quotation marks

From my mind to your PC ....
~Wij 8)

This post has been edited by OriginalWij: May 8 2011, 10:48 PM

--------------------

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Supergodjesus
post Mar 22 2011, 03:45 PM
Post #2

Group Icon

Type: Designer
Alignment: Unaligned

I'll give this game a shot later after work. My initial assessment based on the writing you have shown and the screenshots, I feel that what will make this game popular and unique amongst the VX crowd is your high quality scripting ability. It is easy to tell off the bat that you have a number of custom scripts you probably made yourself, which is a great thing.

The writing thus far, though, is pretty lacking. The story is overall vague and not terribly inspiring from the excerp/summary you posted. Also, the battle screen shot, although unique to the VX crowd, doesn't look terribly exciting - though it could turn out to be fun I am sure.

Again, those are just my initial assessments based on what is in the thread. I will give this game a try (a rarity for me) and give detailed feedback after I do. I look forward to seeing what you have done with your scripts!

This post has been edited by Supergodjesus: Mar 22 2011, 03:48 PM

--------------------
Keep up-to-date with the greatest RPGs ever: Pioneer Valley Games

Need inexpensive art resources? Let me know!

Need AMAZING game music? Note by Note Studios

+Quote Post

GrandmaDeb
post Mar 22 2011, 04:10 PM
Post #3

Retired
Group Icon

Type: Undisclosed

Wij, this game is absolutely incredible. Thanks for sharing it - just love it!

I had already downloaded it from your script site before you posted it here, and just finished it up last night.
Lots of game play, some puzzles and side quests, of course fantastic scripts, and an very enjoyable battle system.

Thanks so much.

edit

aside from the "you can't judge a book by it's cover" advise,
I'd like to point out that I can review the game from actually playing the game completely through for about 11 hours
as opposed to trying to give feedback on a completed game from ???a screenshot and a plot summary?????
I have never played a game in which the battle system was so integrated into the plot
Oviously Wij's strength area is scripts, and that area of the game just sings.

As i said, I loved the game. The scripts are masterful, and create a natural environment for the world.

--------------------

+Quote Post

The-13th-Secret
post Mar 22 2011, 10:42 PM
Post #4

Group Icon

Type: Writer
Alignment: Lawful Good

QUOTE (Supergodjesus @ Mar 22 2011, 11:45 AM) *
(..).The writing thus far, though, is pretty lacking. The story is overall vague and not terribly inspiring from the excerp/summary you posted. Also, the battle screen shot, although unique to the VX crowd, doesn't look terribly exciting - though it could turn out to be fun I am sure. (..).

That actually summed up my thoughts.

Well, I certainly plan on downloading and playing, this ought to be an interesting game.

--------------------
In memoriam fabularum dedidicimus

+Quote Post

Ravenheart
post Mar 23 2011, 02:12 AM
Post #5

Seeks Knowledge
Group Icon

You sir have done a masterpiece. I am playing hte game now and I have been playing it for quite a while now. You have done a wonderful job via scripts via plot, story interaction and music. You really managed to weave things together. It is fantastic.

+Quote Post

darr123
post Mar 23 2011, 06:15 AM
Post #6

Mark is a fag.
Group Icon

This is an amazing game Wij the battle system is amazing and the spell bind thing is amazing
aswell, your skill in scripting really shows here. I've only played it for an hour yet but I'll still give it a 10/10.

This post has been edited by darr123: Mar 23 2011, 06:16 AM

--------------------

Join or die >:)

Need userbars? go here.

+Quote Post

Cass
post Mar 23 2011, 07:47 AM
Post #7

*Insert something slightly wise and satirical*
Group Icon

Alignment: True Neutral

What a fun, enjoyable little nook this is! So far, I'm really liking it, even though I've only
cleared one dungeon.

On that note, I've gotten to the E'rf Temple, and... I'm stuck. There's nothing to "do", per se. The two statues in there have arrows pointing at them, but using the action button on them doesn't do a thing. Do you have the solution?

This post has been edited by Cass: Mar 23 2011, 07:47 AM

--------------------

*Mwah*

+Quote Post

Supergodjesus
post Mar 23 2011, 11:11 AM
Post #8

Group Icon

I did download it last night, but did not get to play it very much, only for a short bit. I will play it some more this evening after work.

However, here are my thoughts on what I -have- seen thus far:

The interactive main menu is a neat idea. However, I think it could have used a little fine-tuning because it takes an unnecessary amount of time to select new game, load, options, etc. Though this is mostly just a nitpick because it doesn't take -that- much extra time.

I really liked your splash screens and how the images "burned" themselves onto the wooden background. Very well done.

The intro was enjoyable enough but a bit long. I got the point by the third wave of guys being slaughtered, but it just kept going.

I really like the the fact that you can save anywhere but you also have reminders for the player to save right on the map. I never thought of doing something like that. It gives the best of both worlds, as players can save anytime but usually they forget to save for long periods of time, but now that shouldn't be a problem with those reminders.

I really enjoy the indoor to outdoor map transition, how just the roof fades in and out. I am envious, really, of this. I am pretty sure I have seen a script that does that somewhere (perhaps it was your script?)

I also like how event names are displayed over their heads. That gives the game a pseudo "mmo" feel.

I was also impressed by your menus. The way they slid on and off screen was smooth and seemless, and they looked consistent and well-done. Good job on that. However, without much explanation, there are a few elements of the status screen that are confusing, like on the bottom right there are all those squares. I am assuming these are for elemental/status resistances and/or other status effects?

The mapping itself is pretty decent. I only saw a couple things that looked out of place, such as the fireplaces being one space in front of the wall instead of inside the wall.

I simultaneously like and dislike putting the character's sprite in the message box. I like it because it reminds me of older games that I enjoyed. I dislike it because it just seems to clash with the aesthetics of the game overall and looks a bit out of place. Or perhaps it is just the box that outlines the sprite.

Although I like the -mapping- I really don't like the color-scheme and 'art direction' so far. The colors are sooooooo saturated that it looks like the 80's threw up all over your world. This applies to the tiles AND text. The color text is so bright that it is distracting. I am sure these are the default saturation levels, so it might not be a problem for most people - I could just be too used to working with my color scheme which includes far more muted and unsaturated colors.

The writing is basically what I thought in my post above. It is not -bad- writing. It is what I tend to consider "young" writing. It is the sort of writing that tends to appeal to young teenagers: easy to read and comprehend but lacking in depth and distinct style.

When I play through more of the game, I am sure I will change my opinion on some of these things, and I will add more of my thoughts later.

--------------------

+Quote Post

OriginalWij
post Mar 23 2011, 04:31 PM
Post #9

Group Icon

@Grandma Deb ... WOW! Deb approves of my game ... that's like the Good Housekeeping Seal of Approval ... I am honored.

@Cass
Spoiler:
biggrin.gif You must not have paid attention to Orlix when he gave you the E'rf Scepter. You have to equip it to activate most things in the E'rf Temple.

@Supergodjesus ... thanx for the in-depth review so far ... all your points are valid, I'm just happy that your "cons" are minor and don't ruing the overall experience. I look forward yo your thoughts on the rest of the game.

@everyone else ... thanx for the feedback, I'm glad you are enjoying my little game!

--------------------

+Quote Post

Supergodjesus
post Mar 23 2011, 07:12 PM
Post #10

Group Icon

So I have played some more of the game and here are additional thoughts:

I find the combat to be a mixed bag, but mostly of the good variety. I like the concept of binding as it offers a risk vs reward for the player - new spells and skills but use up a turn, or forego spells and skills and take down the enemy. The enemies were not too difficult, nor were they too easy until I outleveled them by 2+ levels. Infusion is the most broken skill you have in there as it basically makes you immortal as long as you have MP to support it, which is not a problem because if you use it against large groups of monsters you will level fast. I felt no need at any point, though, to use any of the status effect abilities on my enemies. I also felt you gave enough potions to make it through most scrapes, so it felt fairly balanced. I just wish that the old man warned me about the purple chests BEFORE sending me to the tower instead of AFTER I returned.

I did not care much for the frequency of battles. They felt to be too many too frequently, but the maps were so small that without the high frequency you would probably have no battles at all. I also feel that the battle background suffers from the same malody that afflicts the tilesets: incredibly high levels of saturation. Again, this is more of a personal prefence than a design flaw as I am sure other people enjoy the bright colors. The map layouts themselves are perfectly fine.

In the time I spent between the town and crawling through towers I feel as if I should have learned something about the world in which I am playing in, but I learned very little. None of the NPCs really offer much in the way of information or back story, nor are there books to read or anything else that would enlighten me as to what the greater world is all about.

So, thus far I would say the large amount of uniqueness and interest in this game stems from your great scripting abilities and eventing. When comparing it to most VX games, I would say that you have done a hell of a job with it. If I am to look at the game for its own merits, I find the writing/story to be lacking and in need of revision and the saturation levels are too high for my taste. Overall though, it is an enjoyable game and you hit the nail on the head when you said that the complaints are minor compared to the praise - that is true, my complaints are predominantly nitpicks.

--------------------

+Quote Post

darr123
post Mar 23 2011, 08:09 PM
Post #11

Mark is a fag.
Group Icon

2 Problems

1. Revive dose'nt work, wtf !
2. For the spellbinder Lvl.2 test I did'nt have all the spells the first time, got them all came back took the test again
but this time no events worked I pressed enter on the fire (I have pyre Lvl.2) and it does'nt work
its pissin me off.

--------------------

Join or die >:)

Need userbars? go here.

+Quote Post

OriginalWij
post Mar 24 2011, 12:29 AM
Post #12

Group Icon

@darr123 ... Fixed and fixed.
I even made it so you can continue with your old save. [leave the L'yt temple and return if you saved your game in that temple]
Sorry for the troubles, and thanx for the bug report.

@everyone ... updated the download to V1.05! [minor bug fixes]
(see original post)

--------------------

+Quote Post

Cass
post Mar 24 2011, 01:22 AM
Post #13

*Insert something slightly wise and satirical*
Group Icon

Oh! I can't believe it. It just sort of swept over my head, I suppose. XD Well, I'll reserve this
post for a more in-depth review, once I've gotten deeper into the game.

Cheers~

--------------------

*Mwah*

+Quote Post

Steysel
post Mar 24 2011, 07:02 AM
Post #14

Freaky Geeky Nerdy Guy
Group Icon

Finally. I've been waiting to see OriginalWij making the game thread for Spellbinder here.

I like the concept of house-entering which does not use Player Transfer method, it makes the world look real.
I actually think that the terms, weapon names, item names, monster names, location names, NPC names are all pretty well thought as they just sound fit right into the feel of world's lore.(Soondaw Extract and Dr. Coubech's Elixir for example, they sound nice).
Although the battle system seems pretty static, but it is still enjoyable. I love the monster battlers.
The storyline is unique and engaging. It's not a generic teenagers-saving-the-world game. However, it is still kinda predictable though(cuz of the towers-activating mission).
The significance of the game title is rightly understood.

Meh, I'm not much of a reviewer. Overall I like the game!

It's awesome on the scale with 8/10. smile.gif

--------------------
I support :
Spoiler:

+Quote Post

Garnetto
post Mar 24 2011, 09:07 AM
Post #15

Group Icon

Hi!

I've downloaded and am playing! I've got as far as the first boss battle...which I keep losing (probably my fault for not leveling up...)

I love the little touches you've done like the piano and the reflection in the water. Things that like make me smile.

The game over scene is brilliant I love how
Spoiler:
you're like...on the edge of hell and have to choose to go back or continue to hell...really great!
the title scene is also beautiful.

I did think the intro went on a little bit too long for my liking. I know it was to fit in with the music but I found myself button bashing to try and skip.

The battles are simple but effective and the encounter monitor is brilliant!

One thing...and it might just be me, but the first shop in the first village...I just can't seem to buy anything. I don't know what I'm, doing wrong I thought I bought items and then left the shop only to find I hadn't bought anything at all.

Any who I shall continue to play and update you as I go on but so far - sterling job my man!

+Quote Post

GrandmaDeb
post Mar 24 2011, 10:26 AM
Post #16

Retired
Group Icon

QUOTE (Garnetto @ Mar 24 2011, 05:07 AM) *
One thing...and it might just be me, but the first shop in the first village...I just can't seem to buy anything. I don't know what I'm, doing wrong I thought I bought items and then left the shop only to find I hadn't bought anything at all.

Any who I shall continue to play and update you as I go on but so far - sterling job my man!

Hi Garnetto - you have to confirm the purchase on a second screen. It keeps you from accidentally buying the wrong thing, but it does involve a next step.

It is kind of like things are in your cart but not yet purchased.

The keyboard commands are listed, but on my PC they aren't the same - like I think they are supposed to be
"C" to confirm purchease but I had to use "A" and hold it to get to the screen and then just enter and arrow keys to confirm.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Garnetto
post Mar 24 2011, 11:01 AM
Post #17

Group Icon

QUOTE (GrandmaDeb @ Mar 24 2011, 10:26 AM) *
Hi Garnetto - you have to confirm the purchase on a second screen. It keeps you from accidentally buying the wrong thing, but it does involve a next step.

It is kind of like things are in your cart but not yet purchased.

The keyboard commands are listed, but on my PC they aren't the same - like I think they are supposed to be
"C" to confirm purchease but I had to use "A" and hold it to get to the screen and then just enter and arrow keys to confirm.

Thanks! Yeah same here, it says press C to confirm but I too had to use A.

Also, not sure if this is a glitch but on the way to the boat (second tower mission) whilst walking through the forest (2nd screen as if heading back towards the 1st tower), the screen was flashing red for a while...
then stopped when I had a battle.
Happened again when I went to the tower again and then continued all the way to southland and until the next battle

I just want you to know that I am very much enjoying the game thus far!

This post has been edited by Garnetto: Mar 24 2011, 11:02 AM

+Quote Post

GrandmaDeb
post Mar 24 2011, 11:04 AM
Post #18

Retired
Group Icon

QUOTE (Garnetto @ Mar 24 2011, 07:01 AM) *

Also, not sure if this is a glitch but on the way to the boat (second tower mission) whilst walking through the forest (2nd screen as if heading back towards the 1st tower), the screen was flashing red for a while...
then stopped when I had a battle.
Happened again when I went to the tower again and then continued all the way to southland and until the next battle

I just want you to know that I am very much enjoying the game thus far!

Uh oh - that means you are poisoned and continue to be harmed by it wink.gif

Gotta use Soondaw or whatever it is to cure the poison. You can die like that :/

--------------------

+Quote Post

OriginalWij
post Mar 24 2011, 06:13 PM
Post #19

Group Icon

QUOTE (Garnetto @ Mar 24 2011, 06:01 AM) *

The "buttons" I refer to in the game are they system buttons (A, B, C, X, Y, Z, L, R) ... NOT keyboard keys, as I have no idea what you have those "buttons" assigned to in the F1 config window. So, I didn't say "press the A key" because everyone can have a different keyboard key assigned to that "button", which would result in me saying "press A to continue" when you do NOT have A assigned to the same function.
Hope that helps clear that up.

And thanx, I'm happy you like the game!

[EDIT: GrandmaDeb is right, you were poisoned ... the red flash is a default effect for poisoning in RMVX games.]

This post has been edited by OriginalWij: Mar 24 2011, 06:16 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post

Garnetto
post Mar 24 2011, 08:47 PM
Post #20

Group Icon

QUOTE (OriginalWij @ Mar 24 2011, 06:13 PM) *
you were poisoned ... the red flash is a default effect for poisoning in RMVX games.]

Aww mayne....now I feel silly biggrin.gif

Strike it from the record...

Any who, I'm fighting on!! Keep getting killed by those wretched lv 13 monsters....

+Quote Post

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2014 - 09:41 PM

RPGMakerVX.net is an Privacy Policy, Legal.