iPhone App Directory
RPG Maker VX

Gallery Members Search Calendar Help

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Collapse

>Announcement

Keep an eye out for the upcoming 3rd Quarter Contest!
5 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Ruby Scripting Tutorials in RPG Maker VX, Video tutorial to teach the basics and not so basics of Ruby for VX
Alismuffin
post Nov 11 2011, 09:37 AM
Post #61

Group Icon

Type: Undisclosed

Hi! These are very useful tuts so thanks so much for making them!!

I am having a problem wit tut two though :C

I get an error: Wrong Number of arguments (0 for 4)

whenever I talk to the character (Which is meant to bring up the character avatar and such

My code is exactly as you wrote it:

CODE
class Window_Mine < Window_Base
  def initialise
    super(0,0,320,240)
    actor = $game_actors[1]
    x, y = 5, 50
    draw_actor_face(actor, x, y)  
  end
end
class Scene_Mine < Scene_Base
  def start
    @my_window = Window_Mine.new
  end
  def update
    @my_window.update
    if Input.trigger?(Input::C)
      Sound.play_decision
      $scene = Scene_Map.new
    end
  end
  def terminate
    @my_window.dispose
  end
end

Im really confused as to why it's doing that
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

IMP1
post Nov 11 2011, 05:37 PM
Post #62

Retributionist.
Group Icon

Type: Writer

you've spelt initialize with an 's' instead of an 'z'.

This post has been edited by IMP1: Nov 11 2011, 05:37 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post

Alismuffin
post Nov 12 2011, 02:08 AM
Post #63

Group Icon

Accidental double post D:

This post has been edited by Alismuffin: Nov 12 2011, 02:11 AM

+Quote Post

Alismuffin
post Nov 12 2011, 02:09 AM
Post #64

Group Icon

Omg thank you so much!Me and my spelling
Thanks bro

This post has been edited by Alismuffin: Nov 12 2011, 02:13 AM

+Quote Post

DimitriAva
post Nov 15 2011, 02:46 PM
Post #65

Group Icon

Type: Designer

Script Request

I actually have a request. I've been looking everywhere for a script allowing spells/skills to level up for each individual actor. I.E. similar to FF you have the spell fire, it gains enough exp, and you learn fira. As I'm honestly still a noob when it comes to Ruby I haven't been able to script this on my own as of yet. I tried using the tut for the cooking script and applying it towards skills instead, but ended up with a tangled mess. I would love to see a tut on making this. Thanks for all the hard work on the past tuts! I have found them to be immensly helpful. biggrin.gif

DimitriAva

This post has been edited by DimitriAva: Nov 15 2011, 03:01 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post

GubiD
post Dec 8 2011, 04:10 AM
Post #66

Group Icon

Type: Coder

Tutorial 16 is now available...

Tutorial 16 - Chrono Trigger Style Battle System
Spoiler:
Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

Part 4

Dimitri, sure, that should be pretty easy.

+Quote Post

ELEusebio
post Dec 9 2011, 02:43 AM
Post #67

Master Compensation
Group Icon

Alignment: Unaligned

This is amazing...thank you for the effort in giving us knowledge in RUBY, GubiD!

--------------------
I'm sorry, i told ya...

+Quote Post

aidanson
post Dec 9 2011, 08:35 PM
Post #68

Group Icon

New user here.

First post.

Thank you very much for these!! Seriously helping me understand things.

+Quote Post

Kyle_Crafty
post Dec 13 2011, 01:38 PM
Post #69

Group Icon

Starting the tutorial. Looks promising. Also, you look like you should be a quarterback, not a scripter XD

+Quote Post

GubiD
post Dec 13 2011, 07:11 PM
Post #70

Group Icon

... What? I am like 170 soaking wet. I dont think they would accept me as that. smile.gif

Be sure to post any questions you have here, or if you are looking for general scripting advice.

+Quote Post

DimitriAva
post Dec 13 2011, 07:46 PM
Post #71

Group Icon

Thanks for the tut GubiD! Works like a charm! Simple, yet effective. Love it. I appreciate all your work on it, and the time spent debugging. laugh.gif Keep up the great work on those tuts, they're immensely helpful to RUBY beginners like me! I'll keep watch for more great vids, and let me know if you need any more ideas. I have tons up my sleeve, but don't wanna overwhelm you. Lol. Thanks again!

DimitriAva

--------------------

+Quote Post

posfan12
post Jan 5 2012, 10:20 PM
Post #72

Group Icon

I'd like to see a super-noob tutorial on how to install and then use a custom script downloaded off the web. I.e. where to copy or paste the script to, how to initialize it, how to call it at a later time.

+Quote Post

vihn78
post Jan 23 2012, 11:53 AM
Post #73

Group Icon

Hello, this is my first post in your tutorial topic and i must say they are very good and clear.

I ran into a problem tho, cause i am trying to use them to learn how to script in VX Ace, which i know its a bit different.
Anyway i have tried your first tutorial about drawing a window and call it from an event on map.

My code is this:

class Window_Mine < Window_Base
def initialize
super(0, 0, 320, 240)
actor = $game_actors[1]
x, y = 5, 50
draw_actor_face(actor, x, y)
end
end
class Scene_Mine < Scene_Base
def start
@my_window = Window_Mine.new
end
def update
@my_window.update
if Imput.trigger?(Imput::C)
$scene = Scene_Map.new
end
end
def terminate
@my_window.dispose
end
end

Now when i try to run the game i dont get any message of error, and when i try to call the scene from the event on map, nothing happens. So i wonder what can be the difference between rpg maker VX and VX Ace in this specific case since it seems i didnt make any syntax error or anything else wrong. Thanks in advance hoping you can help me.

--------------------

+Quote Post

GubiD
post Jan 23 2012, 08:34 PM
Post #74

Group Icon

Posfan12 - sure thing

Vihn78 - looks like your using Imput rather than Input, which will cause an error.
AND....
VX and VX Ace are completely different on the RGSS side. VX and XP were still pretty close, but VXA changes a bunch of previous logics. $scene = BLAH, doesnt call scenes in VXA. It is Scene_Manager.goto(SCENENAME) rather.

I am going to be rewriting GTBS for VXA soon, and will try to make a number of improvements. That being said, maybe I will just video the whole thing and try to commentate what I am doing as I do it. And speaking of tutorial video's I have one ready and I will post it later tonight. Its a feature that I think everyone will love. The ability to make events larger.. as in 2x2, 3x3 squares etc!

Anyway, I will be posting that later tonight. Until then.. CYA!

This post has been edited by GubiD: Jan 23 2012, 08:35 PM

+Quote Post

vihn78
post Jan 24 2012, 05:30 AM
Post #75

Group Icon

Thanks for your answer GubiD, i tried your advices on how to call a scene, strangely it said there is a error in the game interpreter script, which maybe a bug of the VX Ace. Oh well, i suppose i will have to wait for when you will start some tutorials of the VX Ace since the help file for me now is useless having the japanese version of it, same apply with the scripts, that are difficult to understand since all comments are in japanese (well in real all the comments are turned into strange simbols cause my PC do not read japanese kanji so i can't even use a translating program)

Thank you again and see you for you next tutorial lesson, i will still follow them no matter what smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

Molach
post Jan 24 2012, 03:56 PM
Post #76

Group Icon

Hi, i am a complete noob when it comes to scripting in RPG Maker VX, or any kind of programming really... Still, I like to pretend i can learn stuff from time to time, so i decided to follow these tutorials, and so far they have been a big help. SO THANKS!

At the moment I am at tutorial 5, and like I do with all tutorials I start fiddling around with code you provided. now first I would like to state that a piece of your code in tut 5 appears to contain a mistake. Or maybe I made the mistake... but it appears exactly the same as yours
' adjusted_steal_rate = [steal_rate * lv,100].max ' it should return the steal chance wich can't be higher than 100, however at present it appeartly is always 100, even after you set the steal_rate to 1... or atleased that is what my print command tells me. (I am noob, so I don't actually know if it should work or not)
ofcourse using and simple 'if' to to change all value above 100 to 100 will fix this... but clearly you where trying to teach us a quicker way... and I don't get it... sad.gif

Anyway, that wasn't actually why I decided to post a message, I am perfectly fine using 'if', I just thought i'd mention it since it did take me about halve an our figuring out why, even at a low steal_rate, I always seemed to be able to get a potion. (no, I am not THAT lucky!)

so... my real question. How do you increase an actors 'steal level'?
in the tutorial you mentioned increasing it manually... but never really specified HOW...
if have been busting my head trying to figure it out myself, at first I though, well the level up function is basically just this:

def level_up
@level += 1

-maybe it works for me too!
just change 'level_up' to 'steal_lv_up' and '@level' to '@Steal_lv' and where all set, right?

nope! 'undefined methode '+' for nill:nillClass!' translation? I assume; "lol! can't add to nill noob!" (probs, because it doesn't specify an actor... altough I can't find the point where 'def level_up' would have its actor specified... so maybe its not even that... but even if it is, I can't find it and therefor I can't copy it. sad.gif )
so then I though.. ill just make my own class! always fun... right?

class Steal_lv_UP
def initialize(actor_id)
new_steal_lv = Game_Actor.setup(actor_id)::steal_lv + 1
Game_Actor.setup(actor_id)::steal_lv = new_steal_lv
end
end

simple, but it seemd logical to me... but appearently I am alone in this... that error was someothing along the lines of 'setup' is not an methode of Game_Actor... damn
even tried to chang setup to self.setup... but anyway.... it took me an hour or three... but I finially came to the conclusion, this is probally simple... but still far beyond me!
so if anyone can give me a hand... this noob can start pretending to learn again... well... not today, i have had my share of 'rejections' for one day... but soon!

This post has been edited by Molach: Jan 24 2012, 07:55 PM

+Quote Post

GubiD
post Jan 25 2012, 01:53 PM
Post #77

Group Icon

steal_lv would be augmented using
CODE
$game_actors[ID].steal_lv = new lv.
or
$game_actors[ID].steal_lv += 1

In other news. New tutorial posted.
Tutorial 17 Skill Levels
Part 1

Part 2

Tutorial 18 Large Events
Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

+Quote Post

Molach
post Jan 25 2012, 03:07 PM
Post #78

Group Icon

QUOTE (GubiD @ Jan 25 2012, 02:53 PM) *
steal_lv would be augmented using
CODE
$game_actors[ID].steal_lv = new lv.
or
$game_actors[ID].steal_lv += 1

Thank you GubiD!

so.. everything under setup is put under $game_actors ?
and thus if I add something there, that is where it will end up...

I won't pretend to understand the logic behind that, but maybe ill get to that as I learn..

so thanks again! and keep up the good work!

+Quote Post

GubiD
post Jan 29 2012, 03:53 AM
Post #79

Group Icon

Btw, on the last message you said something about the steal prcnt etc. The reason is the word at the end. You have .max and it should be .min.

And remember that when you modify the Game_Actor class, that all its changes will be seen in the $game_actors[id] as that is just an instance of Game_Actor. That is why that above command is the one to update their individual steal lv.

+Quote Post

Bluerobin
post Mar 19 2012, 01:53 PM
Post #80

Group Icon

Thanks so much for these tutorials GubiD. I have a fair amount of scripting experience but none in Ruby and these videos are just perfect for my level. If you're looking for requests, I'm looking for (and probably going to make if you don't get around to it) a script that replaces the level-up system for stat increases with one that increases stats based on what you do (ala Final Fantasy 2 I think; if you attack it has a chance increases your attack stat, if you get hit it has a chance to increase your HP/defense, etc). If you're not looking for requests, feel free to ignore that and just take the thanks. wink.gif

Edit: Hmm I'm looking over the skill learning tutorials (tutorial 17) and I think I can probably use the methods you show there to put something together, so no worries if you don't want to do my request!

This post has been edited by Bluerobin: Mar 19 2012, 06:25 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd September 2014 - 08:14 AM

RPGMakerVX.net is an Privacy Policy, Legal.