iPhone App Directory
RPG Maker VX

Gallery Members Search Calendar Help

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Collapse

>Announcement

Keep an eye out for the upcoming 3rd Quarter Contest!

> Note for Tutorial Threads

New threads (tutorials) here will go into a moderation queue. You will not see your thread appear when you create it. A moderator will decide if it will be approved or denied.

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Closed TopicStart new topic
> [-Mapping-] Show those Autotiles who's boss: How to make them behave how you want them to, - Expert Mapping Tips Revealed -
Rating 5 V
BigEd781
post Aug 28 2008, 04:52 AM
Post #1

No method: 'stupid_title' found for 'nil:NilClass`
Group Icon

Type: Coder
Alignment: Chaotic Good

Some help with uncooperative autotiles and a bit more

Mapping in VX takes some patience and practice, but it is possible to make very nice scenery using only the RTP. One of the most powerful but relatively unknown features of
RPG Maker is the ability to make exact copies of tiles already on the map by using the shift button. This may not sound spectacular at first, but it allows you to use tiles in ways that
are impossible otherwise.

I am not trying to say that I am the best mapper around, but I have become fairly efficient over the years and I learned a few tricks that I think can help.
This tutorial is really about how to make complicated structures that just cannot be made without using the shift button, but the method that we will use can be applied everywhere.

Here is the quick guide to using shift for those who do not wish to read all of this:
» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

OK, the real guide.

We will use a simple tower as an example here. Begin by drawing the base of the tower.

Now, if we just start using the same wall and ceiling tiles to build the tower, the autotiles will do their thing and it will not look right. To remedy this, we will draw the second portion separately first.

Now, using the pen or rectangle tool, just hold down SHIFT and right-click/drag to select the entire thing.

Now continue to hold SHIFT and place the copied tiles on top of the base (you can actually let go of SHIFT in between copying and pasting, but you must be holding SHIFT while doing either).
If you are using the rectangle tool, you will need to press down the left mouse button to begin drawing and then drag the mouse to form the copied shape. Simply clicking will not work.

The tiles are laid down exactly as they were in the source and they do not act as autotiles.
This is also useful for shaping small details. For instance, if you wanted to place a door on the second story:

It does not look quite right, does it? Compare the left edge of the upper door to the left edge of the lower door and you will notice that the lower door looks more rounded and natural.
To get this effect, you need and example of what it should look like so that you can copy it.

I just drew enough wall to represent what I am trying to copy, and then copied it while holding SHIFT. Now place that to the left of the door, still holding SHIFT.

Notice that I drew four tiles, but only copied one (the highlighted tile in the image before last). This is because you must account for what is to the left and right of the destination tile.
If you only drew one and then copied it, it would look like this:

You have to accurately represent the place that you are copying to when drawing your sample.
Another small example, but remember, the details are everything:

See that bridge? Here is what it would look like had I not used shift to polish it:

This is not the most extreme example, but I just don't like how it looks.

The main idea here is that sometimes it is necessary to draw things on another background before placing them in their final destination.
Using this you can make very complex structures that you may have thought would be impossible using the RTP. Hope this helped.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

This post has been edited by BigEd781: Mar 16 2009, 08:31 PM

--------------------
My blog - It's awesome, I assure you
While sloppy writing does not invariably mean sloppy thinking, we've generally found the correlation to be strong -- and we have no use for sloppy thinkers. If you can't yet write competently, learn to. - Eric Raymond

---
My awards for being so awesome
Spoiler:
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Iluviel
post Aug 28 2008, 08:25 AM
Post #2

Group Icon

Type: Artist
Alignment: Neutral Good

I don't know why, but it doesn't work for me. I draw the tiles, I hold Shift and select it, then I hold Shift and try to place it, but nothing happens. Nothing at all.

Any ideas what could be wrong? I tried holding Shift the whole time, release it, place the copied thing using right mouse button, then left mouse button, then I tried hitting Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V but still nothing sad.gif

+Quote Post

BigEd781
post Aug 28 2008, 08:48 AM
Post #3

Group Icon

You need to copy the tiles by right clicking and dragging, and place them by right clicking. If you are using the rectangle tool you will need to drag to place the tiles as well. Hold shift the entire time.
Ctrl +C and Ctrl + V will not work.

--------------------
While sloppy writing does not invariably mean sloppy thinking, we've generally found the correlation to be strong -- and we have no use for sloppy thinkers. If you can't yet write competently, learn to. - Eric Raymond

---
Spoiler:

+Quote Post

Iluviel
post Aug 28 2008, 09:08 AM
Post #4

Group Icon

nope still not working sad.gif

+Quote Post

BigEd781
post Aug 28 2008, 09:44 AM
Post #5

Group Icon

Ummmm....I really don't know, it works.
Try it with just one tile. Hold shift, don't let go, right click tile, left click to place it, let go of shift.

--------------------

---
Spoiler:

+Quote Post

GrandmaDeb
post Aug 28 2008, 10:54 AM
Post #6

Retired
Group Icon

Type: Undisclosed
Alignment: Unaligned

BigEd, this is sooo helpful!

But what I have to do to make it work is
hold shift and right click
then Left Click once on the selected area (when I am copying more than one tile.)
Now I can hold shift and re-draw the area elsewhere.

And this really helps me alot, because I make mazes, and the rooms have to be identical.

<<edit>>
Okay, just to be clear, I was looking for the keys to completely copy my maps; I had heard somebody (you) tell how b4, but I couldn't remember.
Consequently one map would copy all wrong, and I really wanted to know this, so thanks!

But what you showed about creating towers is gonna make so many of my buildings look better!
I changed a lot of my original plans 'cause I couldn't get the house lines to quit doing the autotilething, even laying them down with shift. Ahhhh! Thx again!

Deb

This post has been edited by GrandmaDeb: Aug 28 2008, 11:06 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post

Iluviel
post Aug 28 2008, 11:29 AM
Post #7

Group Icon

still not working sad.gif

edit: it is now! thank you GrandmaDeb!

This post has been edited by Iluviel: Aug 28 2008, 11:31 AM

+Quote Post

BigEd781
post Aug 28 2008, 09:28 PM
Post #8

Group Icon

QUOTE (GrandmaDeb @ Aug 28 2008, 04:12 AM) *
BigEd, this is sooo helpful!

But what I have to do to make it work is
hold shift and right click
hen Left Click once on the selected area (when I am copying more than one tile.
Now I can hold shift and re-draw the area elsewhere.

That step should not be necessary. The only real change here should be holding the shift button. Copying and pasting down the tiles should work as it always does. For something like this it wold be great if I had a webcam. It is hard to know exactly what others are doing and why they are having problems.

--------------------

---
Spoiler:

+Quote Post

GrandmaDeb
post Aug 28 2008, 10:43 PM
Post #9

Retired
Group Icon

Alignment: Unaligned

Ah! The difference is that with the rectangle tool selected, you have to click.
With the pencil tool selected, it works the way you said, Ed!
smile.gif
It is actually much easier with the pencil tool, because it is one click and done,
not click and drag again...

This post has been edited by GrandmaDeb: Aug 28 2008, 10:44 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post

BigEd781
post Aug 28 2008, 11:29 PM
Post #10

Group Icon

Still weird though, because I always use the rectangle tool...oh well, glad this helped a bit. I have found myself explaining this many times over the years. Now I can just link here.

EDIT: Oh, I see, I should have been more clear that you will need to drag with the rectangle tool. I left it out because that is what you would always have to do anyway, but I will edit the tut so that is more obvious. Thanks for the feedback.

This post has been edited by BigEd781: Aug 28 2008, 11:30 PM

--------------------

---
Spoiler:

+Quote Post

unclesatan
post Aug 29 2008, 12:52 AM
Post #11

Group Icon

I tested this out and it works great smile.gif

Thanks for this. It'll help out with my crappy maps XD

--------------------

+Quote Post

Neqitan
post Aug 30 2008, 03:34 AM
Post #12

Piano fighter
Group Icon

Type: Musician

Wow! Good tutorial! Thanks, you've helped me a lot with those jaggy tiles on roofs. I'd give you points if I could...

EDIT: This was also helpful with fences. Please do compare:

This post has been edited by Neqitan: Aug 30 2008, 03:48 AM

+Quote Post

The Maker
post Nov 29 2008, 04:03 PM
Post #13

For those about to rock... FIRE! We salute you!!!
Group Icon

Type: Musician

A splendid tutorial, BigEd781!!! It is just what I needed! laugh.gif

This post has been edited by The Maker: Nov 29 2008, 04:03 PM

--------------------
The good that men do is oft interred with their bones...
But the evil that men do lives long after them...

Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
Final Fantasy 7

+Quote Post

airwick.pelican
post Jan 20 2009, 02:54 AM
Post #14

Group Icon

This is one of the most useful tutorials for mapping in VX I've found. Thankyou soooo much!

+Quote Post

Darthsul
post Jan 20 2009, 03:18 AM
Post #15

The Luckyyy One
Group Icon

I agree! Needed help finding it cus I didnt realize the connection to what I needed by the title, but now that I did, it's awesome! Thanks BigEd!

+Quote Post

BigEd781
post Jan 20 2009, 03:36 AM
Post #16

Group Icon

QUOTE (Darthsul @ Jan 19 2009, 07:36 PM) *
I agree! Needed help finding it cus I didnt realize the connection to what I needed by the title...

Hmmm...well that's no good. It's hard to think of a good name for this. Any suggestions? What would have grabbed your attention?

--------------------

---
Spoiler:

+Quote Post

Darthsul
post Jan 20 2009, 03:52 AM
Post #17

The Luckyyy One
Group Icon

Don't get me wrong! Your name was about as good as can be. I just wasnt able to make the connection between it and what I needed it for specifically. I had seen the topic before, just didnt draw connection. But rarely do people (i think) want to do the specific thing I described, so it wouldnt make sense to change the name of this tutorial to reflect that.

+Quote Post

halo32007
post Jan 21 2009, 06:07 AM
Post #18

Group Icon

Type: Designer

Hmmm...a title...

How about Fitting the background to events?

...Nothing else. X_X

+Quote Post

BigEd781
post Jan 21 2009, 08:14 AM
Post #19

Group Icon

QUOTE (halo32007 @ Jan 20 2009, 10:25 PM) *
Hmmm...a title...

How about Fitting the background to events?

...Nothing else. X_X

Well, it's a lot more than that though. I rarely have to do that compared to how often I use it for layering, but thanks.

--------------------

---
Spoiler:

+Quote Post

AmazingJaze
post Mar 8 2009, 01:22 AM
Post #20

Group Icon

QUOTE (BigEd781 @ Jan 21 2009, 12:14 AM) *
Well, it's a lot more than that though. I rarely have to do that compared to how often I use it for layering, but thanks.

Great help mate, I can't believe how limited things I was before and didn't even know it.

As far a title goes, at the risk of sounding too gimmicky how about something along the lines of

"Show the Autotiles whose boss: How to get them to do what you want - expert mapping secrets revealed"

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 31st July 2014 - 06:44 PM

RPGMakerVX.net is an Privacy Policy, Legal.