iPhone App Directory
RPG Maker VX

Gallery Members Search Calendar Help

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Collapse

>Announcement

Keep an eye out for the upcoming 3rd Quarter Contest!
64 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Resource WIP topic, Post your work here for feedback and criticism, or simple comments
Rating 4 V
Celianna
post May 5 2011, 10:17 PM
Post #1

Group Icon

Type: Artist
Alignment: Chaotic Evil

The Resource WIP topic

This is the topic where you can post your work in progress to get feedback, advice and criticism. This is also the only place where you can post something that is not up for grabs by the community. Anything graphical related to RPG Maker is allowed here (with the exceptions of game maps & screenshots, that belongs here.), music is also allowed.

[b]Rules:

1. Sprites, portraits, faces, tiles, logos - are all allowed as long as it has to do with RPG Maker. WIP songs are also allowed.
2. Try to be civil and offer good advice on how someone can improve their work. Do not just flat out say that it sucks, this won't help anyone.
3. Since this is a WIP topic, people will be editing your work to show faults, and/or make corrections. If you do not want someone else to touch up your work, please state this. By default, you allow this.
4. That said, you are not allowed to use any of the resources posted here, unless it is for giving feedback. You see a pretty little sprite you want to use? Tough luck, you can't. No exceptions.
5. Do not get worked up because no one commented on your work, no one is required to offer advice to every little thing that gets posted.
6. Please do not re-post your same WIP unless of course, you've made adjustments, for the sole reason no one commented on it.
7. If you've posted your work, and after 3 pages still haven't gotten any comments on it, then you can re-post your work.
8. When you are using already existing things (franken spritesets for example, or a tile another member made), it's nice if you point this out so we can avoid giving you advice and criticism on it. It's a waste of time to critique something you didn't make.
9. Please do not quote images.
10. Don't spam one-liners such as: "YOUR WORK IS GREAT!".
11. And lastly, please stay on topic and avoid chattering too much.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Retired-Pine
post May 5 2011, 10:18 PM
Post #2

Not a democracy
Group Icon

Type: Spriter
Alignment: Lawful Evil

Stickied now then
nwn

--------------------

Spoiler:

Awards
Spoiler:

Games I support [under construction]
Spoiler:

+Quote Post

Emmych
post May 5 2011, 10:27 PM
Post #3

Group Icon

Alignment: Chaotic Neutral

WELP, TIME TO DEFLOWER THIS THREAD.

Here's a WIP of a player character in my game:

WHADDYA THINK, GUYS~?

+Quote Post

Jalen
post May 5 2011, 10:30 PM
Post #4

Group Icon

Alignment: Neutral Good

WELL THEN I CAN START US OFF. XD Funtimes funtimes.

I'm doing the portraits for Soruve's twin sprites! X3 Her hair's been giving me trouble, so I thiiiink I'ma hafta cut out bits of the back. Does anyone think any parts of the ponytail would show? And the splattered paint bits on her collar is just unfinished hair covering. uwu

EDIT: DAMMIT EMMY YOU'RE MEAN ;A;

omgggg he looks ADORABLE. I love your sprites so muuuuch. XD His coat and torso is adorable! Maybe the chest is a little muddy? Nothing really stands out. PERHAPS SOME BRIGHTER COLORS?

uwu; Reminds me that I still have a lot of spriting practice I need to do.

--------------------

Visit my blog for all of my released materials!

+Quote Post

Celianna
post May 5 2011, 10:31 PM
Post #5

Group Icon

@Emmych: Have you thought about animating the hair? Specifically that little bang of hair on his forehead? Looks nice otherwise! Maybe give the outline of his coat a more brighter golden line instead of orange to separate it a bit from his shirt.

@Jalen: you should do your own set of glasses! Well, only because I think the RTP glasses look so ... well, weird.

+Quote Post

Emmych
post May 5 2011, 10:33 PM
Post #6

Group Icon

@Jalen: WAHAHAHAHAH~! Well, I am a part time ninja-cowboy-model-astronaut. cool.gif

I like it~! The hair looks so cool... I can't wait to see her when she's finished! biggrin.gif

Hrm... I agree. I'll try brightening it up; it's supposed to be all rad and gold and stuff. x3

+Quote Post

CrayDragon
post May 5 2011, 10:45 PM
Post #7

RMVX > Social life
Group Icon

Type: Designer
Alignment: Neutral Evil

Didn't Kefra already start a thread for this?

--------------------
I order you to click these.

>>deviantART!<<

+Quote Post

Radscythe
post May 5 2011, 10:47 PM
Post #8

Waiting for life to pass him by.
Group Icon

Type: Writer
Alignment: Neutral Good

@Emmych: It's looking great so far; soon you'll have to change your support bar to accommodate for the new sprite style. wink.gif

The only thing is what Jalen had pointed out, that the colors don't stand out from one another, which causes the coat to be on the same layer as the chest, so to speak. The coat should have a more 3d look to it so it sticks out more. Atm the chest and coat lining blend in together.

@Jalen that's one of Soruve's entries right? I agree with the glasses, they are gonna always look off imo, maybe make it your own shape so it looks like the glasses aren't going under the ear and missing a place to stand on.

The hair looks great so far, just need to fill it in and all.

Here's a WIP I started today for something secret.

And Kefra's is located here: http://www.rpgmakervx.net/index.php?showtopic=40548

--------------------
The words that sprout of lies to our souls; if they bear fruit the lies disappear.

Games:
Spoiler:
My Stuff:

Award:
Spoiler:

I support:
Spoiler:

<<< Stare at this in awe.

+Quote Post

Lunarea
post May 5 2011, 10:50 PM
Post #9

Group Icon

Alignment: True Neutral

@Celianna:
Thanks for creating the thread as well as writing up the rules!

@emmy:
I think the highlights in your hair are a bit muddied. Try to think of pixel hair as exagerated version of traditional art and the hair is in strands rather than blocky sections. If you alternate some dark and light, you can add a really natural look.
Here's a quick example of what I mean:

I hope that helps a bit. Hair is such a pain to master. But it really helps to constantly zoom in and out while working and experiment with different ways light might hit the hair.

@Jalen:
Looks really great! I think I'd puff the right side of his hair just a bit. It seemed a bit more puffy on the sprite. But wonderful start nonetheless :3

@Craydragon:
Yes, but there were no rules and it wasn't pinned. Consider this the official, staff-created-and-moderated thread.

@Radscythe:
There doesn't seem to be enough contrast, so all your shading is looking flat. When you're working with dark colors, you really have to up the contrast - almost make them shiny. Otherwise, the detail gets lost.

+Quote Post

Celianna
post May 5 2011, 11:06 PM
Post #10

Group Icon

@Radscythe: I see some purple in your sprite after I zoomed in, but from far away I can't tell at all. Try and make it brighter to create more of a contrast between the black and purple.

@Cray: Kefra's got buried, and this one would be the official one.

@Luna: I agree with your point, but then there's also the artist's style you have to consider. As far as I know, this is how Emmych does the hair on her sprites, and if she's consistent with it I think it looks fine as it is (though I do prefer your version, I love seeing the strands).

Myself I'm working on making Emmych's sprite base taller, since I realized they looked like children compared to my tiles (which I guess is good, since I do need children sized sprites, but also adult ones!).

Left the taller sprite, right the original one (except for the eyes haha).

@Jalen: I messed around a bit, and pushed the right side of her hair in a bit more. Nothing the liquify tool can't fix!

+Quote Post

Hanzo Kimura
post May 5 2011, 11:28 PM
Post #11

Group Icon

Alignment: Lawful Good

Now you made me wonder again cel... I want to see the finish product of that template and a sample sprite biggrin.gif I'll prolly use it if its good biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

Shiro
post May 5 2011, 11:36 PM
Post #12

Spriter
Group Icon

Type: Spriter
Alignment: Unaligned

@cel i think you should move the head down a pixel.
my turn since nobody gives feedback in my topic >_>

Its a Zaku(1) from the original gundam, i used Teras muscular dwarf base since it is a giant robot after all, would use mack but i dont think itd fit with VX sised sprites in the game, so its really just more or less a robot suit sised gundam ya know?

Reference: http://plajapan.com/images/gallery/sofv_ms_05_zaku1.jpg

--------------------

---------------------------

+Quote Post

Celianna
post May 5 2011, 11:48 PM
Post #13

Group Icon

@Shiro: lowering the head is what I would have done the first time, but then I saw it like this, and I do like that it creates a 'neck' almost if the head is higher (also gives you more space to make clothes). Though here's a version with the head lowered:

As for your own sprite, I suggest adding an actual light source on the top of his head so it doesn't look so pillowshaded, and add harsh highlights to make him more metal-like in appearance.

+Quote Post

Emmych
post May 5 2011, 11:53 PM
Post #14

Group Icon

@Lunarea: Agggh, you made it look so much better! @A@
Yeah, hair is bloody difficult. Thanks for the tips~! c:

@Celianna: Awww, I like what you're doing with it! biggrin.gif
I think the neck looks really nice - having no neck works better for the smaller sprite I originally created, buuuut I think you get to a certain point when a sprite is too big for not-having a neck. (If...uh... that ramble makes any sense. GNAH, MY BRAAAAIN.)
Plus, yeah: more room for clothes = tres excellent~! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post

Pentagonbuddy
post May 6 2011, 12:47 AM
Post #15

Obligated To Love <3
Group Icon

Type: Undisclosed

Hey guess who also has pixel-related hair woes.

It's supposed to look something like that, but I've been staring at it too long and am sick of the hair issues, ah-hahaha. And about the color...

I've been using the colors from this dude's hair, (don't bother crtiquing anything here; his entire sprite'll be bumped into a different style) but I might want a warmer black instead. I have just been having a hard time making a nice enough palette for black hair, though!

@emmych: AWWWWW YEAH KIDEN. <3 Lunarea nabbed the hair issue already, though who am I to be talking about pixeling hair, ah-hahaha! I'm not sure on how keen I am about his coat, but I can't really pinpoint what it is... OTL I SUPPOSE THAT MAKES THIS RATHER USELESS but yeah. If I stare at it harder that might help!

@shiro: That's what I get for coming here later, people already saying things I was going to say! Well I suppose there's no way to know for sure if I would have said it or even noticed had I shown up earlier, I suppose!

Jalen gets NO CRITIQUE FROM ME. NOPE. NEVER.

Also Cel's sprite template is a sprite template! So... yeah it's a sprite template. But if that's all I can think to say then that's probably a good thing!

--------------------

+Quote Post

Emmych
post May 6 2011, 01:05 AM
Post #16

Group Icon

@Penta: AWWW YEEEAH. <3
(He's my favourite, if only because I love the Lancer character. ALWAYS AND FOREVER~ <3)

Gnnaaaahhhh, that is the coolest ever maaaan! D: Hrrm... how are you blocking out colours when you pixel? I've found that loosely "painting" them on then cleaning later helps a lot. But, yeah - the colours look SOOOO rad. biggrin.gif

+Quote Post

Lunarea
post May 6 2011, 01:21 AM
Post #17

Group Icon

Alignment: True Neutral

Your shading's actually great, Penta, it's just that there isn't enough contrast between the values. I fiddled with the brightness and contrast a bit for you (brightness +15, contrast +30 or so):

I honestly couldn't find anything to add to it, really. Save for a pixel near the top of the hairline to sort of go along where his hair is divided on the bottom. I also darkened the beige in her pants by a couple values, just to add a little more definition to the leg muscles.

I also added a "light" side on the left (her right), because that's where the lighting seemed to hit, but whether it's something you keep or not depends on the style. But I figured it'd be good to include it because you can see how varying the border color can also add depth and lighting - well, maybe not you personally, but someone reading it!
Hair is sort of similar to metal, in that you can get away with some pretty extreme values.

Really marvelous sprite, overall! I love his itty bitty fingers XD

+Quote Post

Pentagonbuddy
post May 6 2011, 01:22 AM
Post #18

Obligated To Love <3
Group Icon

Type: Undisclosed

QUOTE (emmych @ May 5 2011, 06:05 PM) *
how are you blocking out colours when you pixel?

Like this:

And sometimes like this:

I usually plan things out in neon colors, then refine it bit-by-bit and make outlines and whatnot, and then use the fill tool when I'm ready to actually shade. Though as to my current hair problem...looking at the intended style and what I currently have, oops it is entirely not curving in the right direction. I SHALL STRIVE TO CHANGE THIS.

And as a slight aside about the powers of practice, the sprite you see up there is suspiciously similar to the one I'm working on now! Well that is the first attempt, with the current sprite coming about a week after INTENSIVE SPRITING PRACTICE. So really practice a lot, it is very good for you!

Edit: Woah, Lunarea! S-since when did you develop ninja posting powers? That contrast helps a lot, actually! It's a good point you bring up about the metal comparison, too... I'll definitely keep it in mind! Thank you very much. <3

--------------------

+Quote Post

Celianna
post May 6 2011, 01:25 AM
Post #19

Group Icon

@Penta: well, if the hair is supposed to look like the chibi, then his bangs would be shorter and go wooshy to the sides haha. Here's what I mean:

I added a warmer black palette while I was at it, though I do like the blue tones.

+Quote Post

Emmych
post May 6 2011, 01:28 AM
Post #20

Group Icon

@Penta: Wahahahaha xD
Do you just make these GIFs as you go, or do you have them stacked up somewhere, waiting to be used? Hahah~

Maaan, that is some crazy improvement in one week! And you're inspiring me, too... NOW I WANNA MAKE BIG BATTLE SPRITES! @A@
Gnaaaaah. I also really like the character designs!

I WANT TO

DRAW THEM

+Quote Post

64 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th September 2014 - 02:54 AM

RPGMakerVX.net is an Privacy Policy, Legal.