iPhone App Directory
RPG Maker VX

Gallery Members Search Calendar Help

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Collapse

>Announcement

The 2nd Quarter Contest has arrived! Go check it out in the Community Announcements now!

> Note for Tutorial Threads

New threads (tutorials) here will go into a moderation queue. You will not see your thread appear when you create it. A moderator will decide if it will be approved or denied.

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> [-Graphics-] Making a professional logo., We're going to make "GunSlinger"
Rating 5 V
rgangsta
post May 21 2011, 03:01 PM
Post #1

The Handyman
Group Icon

Type: Designer
Alignment: Neutral Evil

In this tutorial, I will show you how to make a logo with a bullet going straight through it like the "Black Shot" logo.

First, you'll need a few things.
  • Photoshop: Photoshop CS5 - I prefer the latest (CS5) but either one will do.
  • This Pattern: Grunge Circles - Put the pattern in "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS5\Presets\Patterns"
  • These fonts: Ghost Theory and Endor - Put fonts in "C:\Windows\Fonts"

Procedure

1) Begin by making a standard sized canvas. I usually use 544x416.
Spoiler:

2) Use the Ghost Theory 2 font to make a "G" and an "S". I would recommend using 140px font size. Their location is not relevant at this moment.
Spoiler:

Now, use the Endor font to make "un" and "linger". I used 72px font size.
Spoiler:

3) Position the text real closely together so it seems as one word using the Move Tool. Pressing CRTL and clicking on multiple layers will allow you to move them at once.
Spoiler:

Now, while the layers "G" and "S" are selected, right click on either layer and choose "Rasterize Type" and then "Merge Layer". This will combine the layers and make them subject to editing.
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

After that, erase that extraneous line that the "G" produces. Be careful not to erase part of the "S".
Spoiler:

4) Now, we are going to add some effects to the new layer that we just combined.
    - Create a
  • Drop Shadow
    Spoiler:
  • Inner Glow - Use the this shade for yellow: #fdf795
    Spoiler:
  • Gradient Overlay - Colors for this gold gradient are: #4d380b, #b18500, and #f7f881.
    Spoiler:
  • Pattern Overlay
    Spoiler:
  • Stroke
    Spoiler:

5) After adding the layer effects, right click on the layer and choose "Copy Layer Style" then paste it on the "un" and "linger" layers. The product should look like this.
Spoiler:

6) Now, create a new blank layer by pressing CTRL+SHIFT+N. Call it "Main". Then disable the white background by clicking on the eye next to the layer. Finally, go to "Image" -> "Apply Image". What happens here is that it combines all the visible layers into one layer. This is going to be the one we use.
Spoiler:

Then disable every layer EXCEPT "Main". You can re-enable the white background.

7) Right click on the "Main" layer and choose "Duplicate Layer". The copied layer will be the layer we "salvage" for parts later.
Spoiler:

After this, you can disable the layer with only "Main" and the background showing.

8) Use the Rectangle Marquee tool to select half of the "Main" layer and use the Move Tool to move it upwards about 3-5 pixels up with the Arrow Keys. Always keep the spacing odd. I chose to move it up 3 pixels.
Spoiler:

Then, you can use the Pen Tool to create random zig-zags between the gap of the "Main" layer. Start from the "G" and make your way to the "r" and back around to the "G". Feel free to magnify the image so you can make smaller zig-zags. The zig-zags should look like this.
Spoiler:

9) With the Pen Tool, right click and choose "Make Selection". This will turn tour zig-zags into a selection. Then press DELETE to erase the parts.
Spoiler:

This is what it should look like zoomed out.
Spoiler:

10) Remember the "Main copy" layer? Enable the layer and select the Pen Tool once more. With is, make points around small sections on the layer image. Right click and choose "Make Selection" just like before. Then, use the Move Tool to drag the piece to the "G" side of the "Main layer". Erase the black shadow and white outline so only the yellow is present.
Spoiler:

Repeat this step multiple times and also to the "r" side. It should look like this when you're done. I did it three times for each side. The whole thing looks like this now.
Spoiler:

Finally, select the image of the "Main copy" layer with the Rectangle Marquee Tool and erase it by pressing DELETE.
Spoiler:

At this point, you can rename the "Main copy" layer to "Fragments" if you choose. It helps so you don't get confused.

11) Now, we'll start the bullet. Create a new group and call it "Bullet". The Group button is located at the bottom of the layers section. It looks like a folder.
Spoiler:

After the group, make a new layer called "Flare".

12) Zoom into the the picture around the gap you created. Use the Rectangle Marquee Tool to select the middle pixels between the gap going horizontally. Make sure you select a few more pixels past the text.
Spoiler:

Now, select the gradient tool and make a gradient starting from the "r" side to about 3/4 of the way through the "G". We want it to look like it fades.
Spoiler:

13) Copy the layer style from the previous layers and past them to the "Flare" layer. Or you can create you own style. What we want is to make it look like a yellow or orange gun flare. If you do copy the layer style, remove the Stroke and Drop Shadow. You can also add an Outer Glow to make it look cool. If you do, set the Outer Glow to "Normal" instead of "Overlay".
Spoiler:

14) Create a new layer called "Bullet" and use the Rectangle Marquee Tool to make a rectangle 9x3 pixels. Make this rectangle at the end of the text on the "r" side. To help you see the pixels better, select the white background layer and press CRTL+I. This will invert the white to black. Now, you'll be able to see the individual pixels.
Spoiler:

After you make the selection, use the Paint Bucket Tool to paint the selection on the "Bullet" layer. Make the color black. It should look like this when the background is disabled.
Spoiler:

15) Keeping the background disabled, you can erase the font 2 pixels of the "Bullet" layer so it's a little rounded. Use an eraser with 4px wide and 0% hardness.
Spoiler:

DON'T erase them completely.
The finished product looks like this.
Spoiler:

16) Make a new layer and call it "Light" and use white gradient to make a streak like this to this.
Spoiler:

Here comes the cool part. Press CTRL+SHIFT and click on the thumbnail of the "Bullet" layer. This will highlight the shape of the layer but, at the same time, you'll be on the "Light" layer. After that, click on the Layer Mask button. Doing this will make the white gradient only visible on the "Bullet" layer.
Spoiler:

And this is what it looks like zoomed out.
Spoiler:

17) Make another new layer called "Spark" and place it under the "Bullet" layer. Change the color to yellow (#fef015). And use a round brush that is 5px wide and 0% hardness.
Spoiler:

Now, on the "Spark" layer, paint a circle just behind the bullet. If you keep clicking the same spot, it will make the yellow more intense.
Spoiler:

18) Make a new layer called "Line" and place it under "Main". Use the Rectangle Marquee Tool once more to make a selection 1px in height an reaching from the "G" to the "r" horizontally.
Spoiler:

Now use the Gradient Tool and choose the circular gradient. Remember to change the color to black.
Spoiler:

Start your gradient from the the middle of the selection all the way to the "G" or "r". Either way doesn't matter because this gradient is circular.
Spoiler:

Unselected, it looks like this.
Spoiler:

Finally, you can copy the layer style of the old layers once more and paste it to the "Line" layer.
Spoiler:

19) This is the last an final piece to the logo which is completely optional. Adding Japanese text.
Go to Google Translator and type in "GunSlinger" and translate it to Japanese. After that, you can copy the Japanese text and paste it as new text layer in Photoshop. Then you can copy the Layer Style again and paste it to the Japanese text.
Spoiler:

Now you're Done! It should look like this!

Like this tutorial? Support it!

CODE
[url=http://www.rpgmakervx.net/index.php?s=&showtopic=45743&view=findpost&p=442310][IMG]http://i52.tinypic.com/w0jl7s.jpg[/IMG][/url]

This post has been edited by rgangsta: Nov 13 2011, 07:35 PM

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Fated
post May 22 2011, 07:38 PM
Post #2

Group Icon

Type: Undisclosed

Very, very helpful tutorial. I've always been interested in making stuff like this to spice up projects but I never pushed myself to learn because I thought it was too confusing, this will help me out a great deal smile.gif.

--------------------
Support:

+Quote Post

XIV
post May 22 2011, 09:06 PM
Post #3

Oh! What's that in apples?
Group Icon

Alignment: Lawful Neutral

Excellent reference for anyone wanting to make their own logo! Good job!

--------------------

I Support:

Check out my scripts:
Spoiler:

Ultimate Timer v3.1 - the best timer rewrite script there is
Timed Choices v1.6 - when your choices require a little excitement
Speedy Gonzales v1.1 - make agility influence move speed
Simple Reputation System v1.0 - R.E.S.P.E.C.T.
BEM - More Skill Costs Patch v1.1 - a treat for anyone using BEM

+Quote Post

rgangsta
post May 23 2011, 12:50 AM
Post #4

The Handyman
Group Icon

biggrin.gif Thanks, guys. Just want to help out around the community.

--------------------

+Quote Post

~Skyelove
post May 23 2011, 01:40 AM
Post #5

Group Icon

Alignment: Lawful Good

Awesome.

--------------------

+Quote Post

bioteam
post May 23 2011, 05:50 AM
Post #6

Group Icon

Alignment: Lawful Evil

Thanks! I really needed this! *Support Bar'd*

--------------------

Supported:
Spoiler:

+Quote Post

Ace5095
post May 23 2011, 07:01 AM
Post #7

Developer
Group Icon

Alignment: Unaligned

TOTALLY FANTASTIC!!!
I always wanted a nice logo Tutorial,and this is it!
Keep up the good work! biggrin.gif

--------------------
Spoiler:

+Quote Post

tymoff
post May 29 2011, 03:34 AM
Post #8

Group Icon

Alignment: Lawful Good

Glad you posted a tutorial- i was wondering how these were made

--------------------

+Quote Post

Zvahl
post Jun 1 2011, 03:56 PM
Post #9

AKA, SinfulKarma
Group Icon

Type: Artist
Alignment: True Neutral

I'm loving this tutorial, because not only is it informative, but you also gave me a new site to get new photoshop brushes!

So thanks 100%, and I hope to make a nice logo such as your preview one.

--------------------
A game will hopefully come soon... eventually... getting there...

+Quote Post

rgangsta
post Jun 1 2011, 08:29 PM
Post #10

The Handyman
Group Icon

Glad you guys like the tutorial. I'll try to post more tuts later on.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Zvahl
post Jun 2 2011, 04:46 AM
Post #11

AKA, SinfulKarma
Group Icon

Is anyone else having this problem? I'm following your steps- I have gotten to the adding the drop shadow for the B S layer.

I will get to Gradient Overlay & Pattern Overlay, and for some reason... Gradient Overlay will be ON TOP of the Pattern Overlay.
As in if I uncheck Gradient, then I can see the pattern, but if I check Gradient, the Gradient covers the Pattern.

I have every change you have as shown in the screen shots... but I have no clue what I'm screwing up.

And it's the same way in both 32 & 64 Photoshop.

**Edit, the only way I can get some kind of decent Pattern look is by turning the Opacity down for Gradient.
But it doesn't look as nice as the finished or edited product from the screenies.

This post has been edited by Zvahl: Jun 2 2011, 05:13 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post

rgangsta
post Jun 2 2011, 10:44 AM
Post #12

The Handyman
Group Icon

Set the gradient to "Overlay" or "Screen". That should fix it.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Zvahl
post Jun 2 2011, 11:25 AM
Post #13

AKA, SinfulKarma
Group Icon

Both of them get the job done, but Overlay does it quite beautifully! Thanks a million!

I wasn't 100% sure what to actually alter in Gradient, just knew that was my problem.
I'm in School for Visual Communications, but only just starting, so thanks for responding so quickly!

I'll be sure to use this tutorial in some of my own personal work, and will not miss the chance to let others know who I got it from. laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

PuppetOfFate
post Jun 2 2011, 04:49 PM
Post #14

I am hungry!
Group Icon

Alignment: Chaotic Good

I find it funny that this tutorial shows how to make a better looking logo than the tutorial for business logos in my Digital Imaging Fundamentals class' book. This is a great tutorial!

--------------------

+Quote Post

rgangsta
post Jun 3 2011, 01:58 AM
Post #15

The Handyman
Group Icon

I'm glad this tutorial helps you guys. biggrin.gif It makes me feel like I have accomplished something here.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Luchino-chan
post Jun 3 2011, 11:53 AM
Post #16

Mistress of none.
Group Icon

Alignment: Neutral Good

Really informative and great tutorial. Only makes me wish I had Photoshop again ( my CS3 trial expired ages ago... ). I do most of my graphical work with Paint Shop Pro 8, but I know the program is nowhere near as powerful as Photoshop. Anyhoo...

Great stuff. I actually saved the page so I could read it off-line, by some miracle that I get Photoshop one day. ^^

--------------------
Developer and author of:

Dev blog:

I support:
Spoiler:

My tutorials: Bringing you quality tutorials, from me to you.
- Create a gorgeous valley with Mack tiles, Luchi-style.
- An advanced tutorial showing how you can add features such as an in-game gallery, a character biography or even an in-game tutorial!

+Quote Post

LuminousInferno
post Jun 4 2011, 10:34 PM
Post #17

Group Icon

Type: Writer
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral

This is so awesome! Thank you for this tutorial you have helped massively! biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

rgangsta
post Jun 4 2011, 10:59 PM
Post #18

The Handyman
Group Icon

Glad I could help you guys. It's my pleasure. biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

CrayDragon
post Jun 5 2011, 02:49 AM
Post #19

RMVX > Social life
Group Icon

Wow.
Photoshop looks much better for this kind of thing than GIMP.
Maybe I should look into getting it *w*
By the way, excellent tutorial. But I couldn't help but notice that the logo looks a little more different in the support bar than it does in the final...
Did you remake it entirely for the tutorial? If so, that takes patience and I commend you for being awesome.

Another thing, since this seems to be a tutorial on how to make the GunSlinger logo specifically, maybe you could loosen it a bit by adding in another logo step-by-step?
Just a thought smile.gif

--------------------
I order you to click these.

>>deviantART!<<

+Quote Post

rgangsta
post Jun 5 2011, 03:32 AM
Post #20

The Handyman
Group Icon

Yes, I did remake the logo for the tutorial. lol I thought no one would notice. Thanks for calling me awesome. tongue.gif
I am going to make another tutorial but I can't think of anything right now.
Btw, you should definitely get PS. It's totally worth it.

--------------------

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2014 - 07:10 AM

RPGMakerVX.net is an Privacy Policy, Legal.