iPhone App Directory
RPG Maker VX

Gallery Members Search Calendar Help

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Collapse

>Announcement

Keep an eye out for the upcoming 3rd Quarter Contest!

> Note for Tutorial Threads

New threads (tutorials) here will go into a moderation queue. You will not see your thread appear when you create it. A moderator will decide if it will be approved or denied.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> [-Writing-] How to create original character names, TRULY original names
Rating 5 V
Seppie
post Jul 1 2011, 02:10 AM
Post #1

Seppie Releigh RPG
Group Icon

Type: Musician
Alignment: Neutral Good

Creating original characters
(Just requires some imagination)

Hey all. Seppie here from AB RPG. Still working on that project. biggrin.gif Right now, I'm working on a little demo though.

Onto the tutorial!

Working with names:
In order to name a character, you must find out his background. Where are his parents from? Why are they where they are now? Does he like the name? Why, or why not?

To figure out his name, you must define his personality. Is he nice, smart, funny, mean, rude, a downright !@$%@$^?

We'll be working on a girl name in this tutorial, though...

You must first find her origin. For example, our character is of Italian origin. Her personality? Nice, smart. Now, we will find the Italian word for 'Nice' and take it's root. The root is 'Bella'. Now, the root for 'Smart'. There are many adjectives for 'Smart', but I'll be using 'di moda' because it breaks it up a bit.

Now, our characters name is Bella di moda, which is directly translated 'Nice smart', and doesn't really explain our character. Let's say she's unworldly gorgeous. Perhaps her name should then be Donna Vistoso which would be 'woman gorgeous', or 'gorgeous woman'. You can create beautifully flowing names using this method.

Another name that would work for a gorgeous woman would be...

Bello Femmina (Italian)

I hope this helps somewhat to anyone trying to create names. Just look for root words that describe their personality. And, if all that fails, there's a first name generator with quite a few options.
[Generator Link]

Thanks for reading. And, if you're reading, thanks to the mods for approval!

Support?

CODE
[url="http://www.rpgmakervx.net/index.php?showtopic=47178"][IMG]http://i55.tinypic.com/fcspog.png[/IMG][/url]

Remember, I love you all if you viewed this.
Spoiler:

And, since you're reading this, you can PM me if you want to try out the demo. I'll give out 5 codes to use to play the game. If I receive good feedback from those 5, I'll continue on with the game creation. If not, scrap it and rebuild! =D

This post has been edited by Seppie: Jul 3 2011, 03:13 AM

--------------------
Not going back into RPG making.

Will be more than happy to help with Eventing! Just PM me. I like a challenge.

I'm going into music. I'll be posting some nice tunes for RM'ing at my soundcloud.

Have fun, dudes.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Sasayaki
post Jan 14 2012, 12:42 PM
Post #2

Beatliest Otaku owo
Group Icon

Type: Designer

Nice Tutorial ^.^

--------------------

+Quote Post

cdabamsworth
post Jan 14 2012, 03:04 PM
Post #3

Jinjo
Group Icon

Alignment: Lawful Good

How would the parents know what kind of personality their child was going to have when they matured into an adult, and thus name their child accordingly? That makes no sense. It's also far easier, I think, to go for normal names which people actually have in the real world, like "John" or "Sarah", rather than try to be overly inventive for no reason.

QUOTE (Seppie @ Jul 1 2011, 02:10 AM) *
Another name that would work for a gorgeous woman would be...

Bello Femmina

Personally, I'd find it weird if I was playing a game where one of the women was named with a male word ending. What's wrong with Bella?

QUOTE (Seppie @ Jul 1 2011, 02:10 AM) *
Now, we will find the Italian word for 'Nice' and take it's root.

Just to let you know, you mean 'its route'. There should be no apostrophe.

This post has been edited by cdabamsworth: Jan 14 2012, 03:05 PM

+Quote Post

Ehras
post Jan 14 2012, 05:28 PM
Post #4

Group Icon

Alignment: True Neutral

When taking it as a tutorial/theory, as I'm sure you meant it. I think this is a perfect tutorial. Names have always given me trouble and this definitely helps in the process. Just because the parents couldn't foreknow how the child would be doesn't mean they couldn't name them according to how they hoped they would. A lot of names are based on actual meanings throughout the world. I feel a clever and inventive name can be more compelling than a simple Sarah or a John. At least I believe so any way.

Great tut. though!

QUOTE (cdabamsworth @ Jan 14 2012, 04:04 PM) *
Just to let you know, you mean 'its route'. There should be no apostrophe.

Just to let you know, you mean "its root". He was talking about the root word. Not the route to the word.

--------------------
- Always learning, Often changing, Never digressing.

+Quote Post

cdabamsworth
post Jan 14 2012, 10:02 PM
Post #5

Jinjo
Group Icon

Alignment: Lawful Good

Yeah. Sorry, I really didn't mean to come into this thread and make points against it, I think it's a good tutorial. I was trying to be constructive that's all smile.gif

Didn't properly read the word route, just spotted the grammar thing and thought might be worth informing them. Cheers though

This post has been edited by cdabamsworth: Jan 14 2012, 10:12 PM

+Quote Post

Juunanagou
post Jan 15 2012, 08:19 PM
Post #6

Group Icon

Type: Designer

Well I'm Italian XD And Bella is more like beautiful, nice, if you mean like gentle is Gentile. Bello is male version of Bella, that's obviously an adjective. In italian you can call someone bella, but there is not a man called bello. Unfortunally we don't have male/female names for all names. Eg: there's Sara (without h like me) but not Saro, Andrea is usually a male name. But there are Giovanna (female) and Giovanni (male) for Jonh, Michele (male) and Michela (female). Genera rule is: the names that ends with a is female (not for Andrea as said before) ad the others are male. If you want I can translate some names to make them more realistic, but the guide is nice and original in any case. Well done :3

--------------------
If you need help with maps feel free to contact me. Sorry, I can't do much, but I'll be happy to help you.

+Quote Post

Videogamez Boy
post Mar 7 2012, 12:14 PM
Post #7

Group Icon

Type: Undisclosed
Alignment: Unaligned

this is a nice tutorial for someone who was brainstorming for the name of characters in RP game project, especially involved
lot of characters, and thanks for the provided link.

+Quote Post

KaiserKami
post Mar 7 2012, 06:19 PM
Post #8

Snake Eater
Group Icon

Type: Writer

Nice tutorial. Names are usually very hard to do for games, but also if you are still in trouble to find a good name check out different myths from different places.

--------------------
"Yo pops, I'll have the stupid special."
(What makes a hero?)
(Man's desire is a curse.)
(All crave for fortune.)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd September 2014 - 07:17 AM

RPGMakerVX.net is an Privacy Policy, Legal.