iPhone App Directory
RPG Maker VX

Gallery Members Search Calendar Help

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Collapse

>Announcement

Keep an eye out for the upcoming 3rd Quarter Contest!

> Notes for Complete Game Threads

This forum is for completed RPG Maker VX games. Please do not post threads about games being made in other engines here.

13 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Closed TopicStart new topic
> Star Stealing Prince, Full Game Released
Ronove
post Aug 8 2011, 02:17 PM
Post #41

I do not bite!
Group Icon

Type: Writer
Alignment: True Neutral

Oh! I have some fanart that I wanted to show you guys because it's just so amazing.
Spoiler:

Ooh, Snowe's dream. He has killer striped pajamas! If stripes weren't so hard to sprite on tiny sprites, I would so give him striped pajamas.
by feedingwolves.

This is from a friend of mine for my birthday last year I believe. It was an earlier version of Snowe who happened to have darker hair.
by Professor Yoshi

This is a more recent one by the same artist as above. Snowe and Astra! Must be flames around them!
by Professor Yoshi

So cool!

Also, I wanted to let you guys know that even though I'm being quiet, I'm still hard at work. I'd show screenshots, but this particular area I am just about finished with is a bit too spoiler-y. Anyway, I've planned the rest of the game and it fits on one small sheet of paper! I'm almost done! Only about three dungeons to go and a few areas that still need to be mapped, and a sprite and faceset I still need to do. I'm very excited! Thank you all for the support you've shown me thus far, I really appreciate it.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Adrasteia
post Aug 16 2011, 01:38 AM
Post #42

Group Icon

Type: Spriter
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral

I played the demo, and I have to say that it's well up to the quality I've come to expect from you, Ronove. happy.gif The music and atmosphere is perfect, and the story made me want more. The scarecrow was delightfully insane and deliciously creepy. Snowe is an engaging character despite not being fleshed out much (yet - I know you too well to believe it will stay that way!).

It's nice to have a heal point inside the dungeon. I really needed it. tongue.gif Does it heal status ailments? I had only just enough antidotes, and I brought 5 of 'em.

I loved that most (all?) of the books in the library were shout-outs. Very cute. happy.gif

I did have a little bit of non-gushy feedback, so here goes:

The miss rates on the rats is a bit high. It made those battles really drag out, which was a problem because I got hopelessly lost in that cave and ended up fighting a lot of the encounters two or three times.

On that note, a dash option would be nice. Or maybe there is one and I couldn't figure out which key does it. I am a VX game noob, so I don't know if there's a standard key for that sort of thing. So a quick tutorial thingy for us idiots if there is one would be nice. smile.gif

The dialog when Snowe finds out about the Star Princess seems a bit awkward at times. If you want, I can go back through it and try to figure out which lines, specifically, bothered me.

Is there a lantern? I wasted time going back to town looking for one, but never found it. Maybe that's why I had a hard time finding my way through the dungeon.

Anyway, can't wait for the finished game, and if you need scripting or any other kind of help, feel free to pester me. I'll even install VX.

EDIT: Oh, one more thing. I often lost track of Snowe when he entered a new map - he kind of blends with the warm tones. If you don't want to tone down the maps, maybe a little arrow over his head when he firsts enters a new map, that vanishes when you move?

This post has been edited by Adrasteia: Aug 16 2011, 01:42 AM

--------------------
Except for the rare boss who changes sides or escapes at the last minute, all fights will be to the death. A single mugger, standing over the bodies of seven of his felled colleagues, will still fight against a team of god-slaying juggernauts until his last breath. Surrender can never be offered, and would presumably be rejected out of hand, anyway.

+Quote Post

Ronove
post Aug 16 2011, 01:52 AM
Post #43

I do not bite!
Group Icon

Aww, thank you Adrasteia!

Don't forget the lantern before you go into the caves! If you do miss it, the screen is darker and you'll be missing quite often. Maybe I should have Richard tell you to remember a lantern and that you can find them in the town hall.

Dash can be done if you hold the shift key as you walk. I'm sure there's another key that might do it, but that's the one I use. I am planning to provide a little tutorial in the full game, I just decided not to for the demo. Maybe I should have, hehe.

I'll relook at the scene where he finds out about the Star Princess. I figured it might come across as awkward, so I'll definitely give it a look again and see if I can figure out a better way to say things. Some of the scenes I am a bit worried about coming across as awkward because I'm trying to limit how many scenes where people endlessly talk so I figure that created for some awkward bits.

I'll also see if I can do the last suggestion about an arrow showing over him when he enters a new map. That sounds like a good suggestion actually, so I will definitely give it a try.

Thank you very much for the post and the suggestions.
--

And! Here's a screenshot of stuff I've been working on:

Oh no! A bad dream. Poor Snowe. He really needs some sleep in this game! Crashing at Relenia's pad after a long day/night! Not that it seems to help! Hiante's not sleeping because he doesn't need to sleep, so he's probably off doing skeleton things.

+Quote Post

Lunarea
post Aug 16 2011, 02:35 AM
Post #44

Group Icon

Type: Artist

Aww, poor Snowe! At least the room looks cozy.

Great job spriting :3

+Quote Post

Adrasteia
post Aug 16 2011, 02:43 AM
Post #45

Group Icon

People really do love to sleep on those couches!

Oh, and I must congratulate you on your excellent use of a Lampshade Hanging on You ALL Look Familiar. Bravo!

--------------------
Except for the rare boss who changes sides or escapes at the last minute, all fights will be to the death. A single mugger, standing over the bodies of seven of his felled colleagues, will still fight against a team of god-slaying juggernauts until his last breath. Surrender can never be offered, and would presumably be rejected out of hand, anyway.

+Quote Post

Ronove
post Aug 16 2011, 03:00 AM
Post #46

I do not bite!
Group Icon

Whoo! Excellent uses of tropes! Sabine was just too small for unique people in the castle, so a subplot was born!

+Quote Post

Emmych
post Aug 16 2011, 04:52 AM
Post #47

Group Icon

Okay, I've got to say this. That screenshot - the one where they are all sleeping in the same room?
I CANNOT PICTURE A MORE PERFECT MOMENT IN A GAME. It's just so REAL - I love it so much~! ;A;

UWAAAAGH, THIS GAME IS GOING TO HAVE SUCH A SWEET NAKAMA I CAN'T WAIT TO PLAY THE REST OF IT~ <3333
(Did I mention I played the demo yet? I think I did. It was awesome, if I didn't say anything yet. xD I'm a big fan~!)

+Quote Post

Ronove
post Aug 16 2011, 05:15 PM
Post #48

I do not bite!
Group Icon

Yes you did mention it, Emmy! You have a post in this thread even! I'm really happy that you're stoked about it! I can only hope the whole game can live up to your expectations!

+Quote Post

Luchino-chan
post Aug 17 2011, 12:55 PM
Post #49

Mistress of none.
Group Icon

Type: Designer
Alignment: Neutral Good

I'm surprised I haven't commented on this yet. I don't know if it's the sprite style or those lovely screenshots, either way, I was intrigued. I was looking through the other project threads last night, but I was too sleepy to leave a comment here. But you have something special going here, Ronove. And you know what?

*SUPPORTS* smile.gif

Best of luck to you. And I love that art style as well. Really makes your game stand out.

--------------------
Developer and author of:

Dev blog:

I support:
Spoiler:

My tutorials: Bringing you quality tutorials, from me to you.
- Create a gorgeous valley with Mack tiles, Luchi-style.
- An advanced tutorial showing how you can add features such as an in-game gallery, a character biography or even an in-game tutorial!

+Quote Post

LusterMX
post Aug 17 2011, 04:32 PM
Post #50

Group Icon

Type: Designer

Star Stealing Prince Demo Review

This game in terms of mapping is incredible. I LOVE every single map, it's just so eye candy! I mean every single interior map you've done so well. Absolutely brilliant! There is so much custom visual goodness, I like it very much.

The dialogue is also fantastic. The NPCs have very interesting things to say and the flow of how they're saying it goes really well. I'm loving the sprites, a bit too small for my liking, it might be that I've gotten used to the original RTP characters, but oh well, that's just a very very minor problem. Speaking about small, I find the text so tiny. Sometimes I have to make my head zoom into the screen so I can see it better and then I accidentally press shift and skip it! I don't think the shift button to skip text is necessary as I tend to dash everywhere.

The scenes you have created have been made exceptionally well too. I love the movement, the dialogue... It fits nicely, although, the problem I have with it, is that it's very difficult for me to concentrate and read everything being said when it comes to 'too long' dialogue. The parts such as the dream is done perfectly, with the text box moving from top, to middle, to bottom done in short sentences and use of repetition - That type of thing makes me read. I can't say the same for the too long dialogue though. I hope I explained that well enough.

The music... Is also good!!! The type of style you are portraying works really well with the music. A bit more SE would be nice though, perhaps those balloon effects would go better with them... Maybe? Your music also works well with the scenes which is very important. (Well at least a very important key feature to me - If the music doesn't fit properly, then the story doesn't either...)

The eventing is good. I love little tidbits of original eventing such as how you actually go up the stairs! How you fade out and enter through a door! That type of things certainly deserves to be mentioned and I personally congratulate you for that type of thing. I want to see more original ideas like it, I love it VERY much.

That battle system was the worst part for me. Sometimes when you're stuck in a dark cave, especially at the near beginning of the game, dying of poison, don't know where to go, lost with no antidotes... you certainly feel like turning off the game. Well, I had to turn off the game, because I died and forgot to save. That type of thing can be annoying and well, it's most likely just me, but the battle system wasn't visually appealing enough to me so it was a huge turn off.
So all in all, I think your strong points are mapping, scenes and eventing while you lack more Gameplay abilities in my opinion.

Despite the battle system, I thoroughly enjoyed the game. It's VERY different to most VX games.
You get 7/10 from me! Would be an 8, but Gameplay is very important!
If it gets 8/10 , it's usually a supported project for me. (I know, I'm kind of strict... I don't support anything yet XD)

There is only one appearance issue I found. You are very good in keeping the game clean and avoiding bugs:

Bug/Glitch
Spoiler:

This has probably already been reported, but the text box is on the bottom clashing with the HUD when it should be on the top. No biggy.

--------------------

I support

+Quote Post

Ronove
post Aug 17 2011, 05:30 PM
Post #51

I do not bite!
Group Icon

@Luchino-chan: Ah! Thank you! I appreciate it very much! I'm very glad you were intrigued, and again I hope that when finished, it will continue to keep you intrigued until the end.

@LusterMX: Ah the battle bug is one I know happens . I have fixed that because I switched to a different message system--in the full game it doesn't do that any longer. I think the shift key skipping text is tied to that message system, though I will look into that with this new message system and make sure you can't accidentally skip messages. I had no idea it would do that, but again, that has changed. See, I was thinking about making the text bigger (and I still might) but I've come to really like it. If you really find it a problem, I'll do some fiddling--I just like the small compactness and making it bigger messes up how I have my message boxes set up, but if people really do think the text is too small, let me know!

And I'm not changing the battle system's graphics/layouts/visual so people can kindly not complain about that. Balancing I will fix and things will be added to have more strategy (as this is a demo, it doesn't have all the tweaks and functions working yet). Honestly though, I think you guys just seem to attract those spiders! In all of my tests I have never had the problem of running into them so often to nearly die from being poisoned. As I have mentioned previously in this thread, I will tone down the poison and all that kind of stuff. The game still needs to be balanced better and I understand that immensely, however, that is not on my list of things to do at this moment (rather that comes at the END when I have finished making all the dungeons and know how people will progress through the game and thus balance accordingly).

Gameplay doesn't just boil down to battling (it includes puzzles (which admittedly this demo is lacking so no being snarky about that!), exploration, etc.), and if you don't like the battle system because there aren't sprites running around all over the place or whatever you happen to like, well, tough cookies I suppose. I like what I have because of its simplicity (anything else and there is a HIGH chance I would not finish this game). I will fine tune the mechanics of the battles and implement a few more things but the graphics/layout for the battle will remain the same so any more comments on that will fall on deaf ears. And I am a bit sad that dampens your opinion of the game, but what can one do?

Thank you for the review, LusterMX--though I do wonder why would one review a demo? tongue.gif Might as well call it Thoughts on a Demo! I do appreciate you playing and hope when I get the final version released, you will feel compelled to pick it up and perhaps ignore the visually dull battle system.

Also, did you grab the lantern? I noticed in that screenshot Snowe has an icon for blind. No enemies can blind in the cave that I know of. If you don't grab the lantern from the townhall, the caves' enemies are much harder than they should be because Snowe can't see (perhaps this is why you died?)! He even complains if he just had a lantern, he could see in the caves!

This post has been edited by Ronove: Aug 17 2011, 05:48 PM

+Quote Post

feedingwolves
post Aug 19 2011, 06:30 AM
Post #52

Group Icon

Type: Undisclosed
Alignment: Unaligned

Ooooh new screenie! Hmmm I think the shadows (that are sorta like auto shadows) are a bit weird to me. Maybe if you overlaid them the bathtub wouldn't stick out as much... but that might look weird as well because the wall and floor shadows are differen't shades. Other than that its a beautiful map love the colours and scene. wink.gif

+Quote Post

Whiterose
post Aug 19 2011, 10:23 AM
Post #53

Group Icon

Just played your demo and I have to say I am impressed. I was really… upset when it ended. It seems like a very interesting story and the graphics are very mellow, cool and well matched.

Keep up the good work.

One thing I noticed though, Rufus and Richard, Richard was called Rufus at some points, like outside by the guards and when Snowe is talking to him before dashing off to rescue the poor damsel in the Eastern Tower.

Keep up the good work; I look forward to the rest.

--------------------
[ Recruitment ]
A Game by Purple Crystal Studios.
Image is now a project link.

DEMO PROGRESS: 0%[||||||||||----------------------------------------]100%

I Support:
Spoiler:

+Quote Post

Ronove
post Aug 19 2011, 01:23 PM
Post #54

I do not bite!
Group Icon

Yeah, Whiterose: I noticed that after I put up the demo. XD Richard has gone through too many name changes (besides, in the original version, I kept calling him Richard by accident!). Besides those two, I think I changed all the Rufuses to Richards. Anyway, in the full game, no mistaken names. Thank you for giving me a heads up.

Thank you feedingwolves! I'll have to redo those shadows then--those aren't autoshadows, they are my poor attempt at shadows. Since I did that, I've gotten better at doing shadows, so I just gotta open up the map again and fix it up. But that can wait until I'm done doing this dungeon I've been working on.

And here's a screenshot of the beginnings of a puzzle I'm working on:

Totally the easy part of it--the next place will have a more complex one! Oh, and this is totally why when I get the full game out, you people should not miss the lantern. You can speed through the Sabine Forest caves, but this one, you can't and you probably don't want to get to the boss when you don't have your lantern, as you will constantly miss it hahaha. Oh, and I noticed my blue lights are off a tile from those glowing mushrooms. :| I'll go change that right now.

This post has been edited by Ronove: Aug 19 2011, 01:23 PM

+Quote Post

Adrasteia
post Aug 19 2011, 02:49 PM
Post #55

Group Icon

If you end up far away from the starting town, perhaps other towns should offer lanterns for sale. That way you can still get one without backtracking and only a minor punishment from the game for it.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Ronove
post Aug 19 2011, 06:23 PM
Post #56

I do not bite!
Group Icon

Nope, Sabine is the only town you have access to (it's a short game--that island is really small!--and after the second time through Sabine Forest, you have an option to skip it). So if you missed it the first time, it will continue to be there until you pick it up. The poor lantern! Just waiting for someone to pick it up and use it! Hopefully you put it to good use. Besides, before you go to this cave, you're back in Sabine so it's best to re-explore or at least talk to your peeps again.

This post has been edited by Ronove: Aug 19 2011, 06:28 PM

+Quote Post

feedingwolves
post Aug 25 2011, 01:52 AM
Post #57

Group Icon

Type: Undisclosed

Heya! Forgot to mention- I found ********. Well hidden my friend, well hidden! And I missed searching the library too- I liked the freebird reference.

This post has been edited by feedingwolves: Aug 26 2011, 05:34 AM

+Quote Post

Ronove
post Aug 25 2011, 03:57 AM
Post #58

I do not bite!
Group Icon

D: Don't spoil that it's ******! There goes my foreshadowing! It's now just a blatant hint! tongue.gif (Whee for edits! 8D)

There are SO many references in the library. Freebird reference, Master of the Wind Reference, Melolune and associated Leebles reference, Professor Layton reference, Final Fantasy reference, Twice Upon a Hero reference--in fact, anything that you can't really tie to my game is probably a reference to one thing or another! I had fun doing that, and am glad someone finally mentioned it. biggrin.gif

Hmm since I am replying to someone. I really wish I had something to show people.

Here's an event I've been preparing. When I first made the church, I didn't have this scene in mind at all. When I finally came up with the scene, I was very worried I wouldn't have enough room for everyone in town, let alone your team members. Lo and behold, I had enough room. Originally your team members were supposed to be standing, but hey! They got seats anyway. Currently I've been hard at work on a bunch of optional scenes (8 images! Oh my!) so I really really hope when I get this released, you lot will explore a lot.

This post has been edited by Ronove: Aug 26 2011, 02:10 PM

+Quote Post

U-Oreo
post Aug 25 2011, 05:27 PM
Post #59

Group Icon

This looks so exciting! Totally looking forward to this~

--------------------
Support nao! D:<

+Quote Post

Twidger
post Aug 25 2011, 06:55 PM
Post #60

Everyday I'm Shufflin'
Group Icon

I played the demo, and I really enjoyed it!
Great job, keep up the good work biggrin.gif

--------------------
~Chapter 3 is out now!!~

~Check out my 2011 Game-Making Contest Entry! Fully complete and ready to play!~

I support:
Spoiler:

If you are a believer of Jesus Christ, and are 100% proud of it, put this in your sig.

+Quote Post

13 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th July 2014 - 08:50 PM

RPGMakerVX.net is an Privacy Policy, Legal.