iPhone App Directory
RPG Maker VX

Gallery Members Search Calendar Help

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Collapse

>Announcement

Keep an eye out for the upcoming 3rd Quarter Contest!
4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Final Fantasy 8, Discussion of a classic
Wesker T02
post Jul 9 2011, 01:54 AM
Post #1

Group Icon

Type: Designer
Alignment: Unaligned

I had just come back from my 11B training at Fort Benning GA (4 months of suck), and I had been playing FF8 again. I cant believe after 10 years I still enjoy it as much as I first did lol. Anyways, I'm wondering for everyone who had played it, what is your favorite and least favorite features/moments in the game, and if you could change something in it, what would you change.

--------------------
Projects:
Spoiler:
Reunited Legends: 1% (Scraped: RM2k)
DBZ Legend of Vegeta: 1% (Scraped: RM2k)
Divine Crisis: 10% (Scraped: RM2k3)
Omega Genesis: 20% (Scraped: XP, Considering Restarting under VX)
Neo Saga: 100% (Completed: VX)
Neo Saga II: 10%(Under Construction: VX, Title Pending)

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Aesene
post Jul 9 2011, 02:33 AM
Post #2

Group Icon

Alignment: Lawful Good

When I FINALLY got Odin after failing with the Tonberries.. I would play it, if only it had a graphical release, can't play anything like that anymore.. just hurts my eyes.

+Quote Post

Zuxeria
post Jul 9 2011, 02:44 AM
Post #3

My Mind my rules
Group Icon

Type: Writer
Alignment: Chaotic Good

I really like the ballroom dance scene... Well I really liked all the Squall/Rinoa Moments tongue.gif
I also liked the limit breaks.
I didn't like th car system it is useless dry.gif also I didn't like the Tonberries dry.gif

--------------------
I support:
Spoiler:

Quotes:
Spoiler:
Let's eat quicker then.....
That was delicious. Now where were we?
*begins 80s high speed montage to speed up travels*
NOW ZUXERIA WE GOT YOU! - CrimsonItsuki

Fenix: HOW DARE YOU DIVIDE BY ZERO!!!! D:<<<
*head asplodes* - Zetu

If history is to change, let it change. If the world is to be destroyed, so be it. If my fate is to die, I must simply laugh.
- Magus; Chrono Trigger

All I want is world peace... or a piece of the world. - Nun ; Chrono Trigger

Run, run, or you'll be well done! - Kefka

You think a minor thing like the end of the world was gonna do me in? - Sabin

"No one touches Oghren's junk and lives!" - Oghren

Currently working at:
Spoiler:

My game
Spriter ;)

My posts:
Spoiler:

Stupid Tests:

NYAN CAT!! Also Slowoke ('cause slowpoke is the greatest pokemon ever):
Spoiler:

+Quote Post

Astel
post Jul 9 2011, 03:32 AM
Post #4

Elitists of the world, beware.
Group Icon

Alignment: Chaotic Neutral

Wrong board.
Also, FF discussions always gets ugly.

--------------------
Under Construction

+Quote Post

Wesker T02
post Jul 9 2011, 04:44 AM
Post #5

Group Icon

My bad, just noticed the other place for it. Can a mod plz move this to the gaming thread?

--------------------
Projects:
Spoiler:
Reunited Legends: 1% (Scraped: RM2k)
DBZ Legend of Vegeta: 1% (Scraped: RM2k)
Divine Crisis: 10% (Scraped: RM2k3)
Omega Genesis: 20% (Scraped: XP, Considering Restarting under VX)
Neo Saga: 100% (Completed: VX)
Neo Saga II: 10%(Under Construction: VX, Title Pending)

+Quote Post

darr123
post Jul 14 2011, 08:28 AM
Post #6

Mark is a fag.
Group Icon

Type: Undisclosed

I've never actually played it for long but my brother did. I think it was glichted because it only took 1000xp to level up.
He was lvl 45 half way through the first disc biggrin.gif Good times.

+Quote Post

Luna
post Jul 15 2011, 11:57 PM
Post #7

Vanilla Vixen
Group Icon

I honestly found Final Fantasy 8 to be rather decent and fun. I don't play so many Final Fantasy games anymore, but 8 was really the only one I've played besides Tactics. I liked alot of the gameplay in 8, but I honestly felt that the story kind of fell apart after Disk 2. It wasn't bad, but the characters seemed to be "less" developed than they probably could have been. It was still a fun game, but I kind of ran through the game, to be honest.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Philacus
post Jul 28 2011, 03:49 PM
Post #8

Group Icon

Alignment: Lawful Neutral

I personally did not like this game's systems. They were too tedious to accumulate a decent amount of spells, then every time you would cast one it would weaken any skill attached to said spell. Also, the garden floating on the water and over land... Took WAY too long, and I recall floating around for an hour then stopping my play for a week.

Pros:
Classic final fantasy view
innovative ideas for spells
interesting GFs
item combination for weapons
levels were easy to obtain
large array of interesting monsters
interesting story throughout most of the game
some of the best music i've ever heard in a game

Cons:
monsters leveled with you - which wouldn't bother me much, but you don't get any stronger until you upgrade your gears. The monsters would just trash you if you kept leveling in the same area, making levelups practically useless. (What kind of an RPG encourages you to run from enemies?)

limit breaks - Pretty much god tier when you figure them out, they break the game. Also makes GFs useless as summons, becoming only useful for attaching stats to your characters

monsters go docile when you start drawing from them, allowing multiple turns of drawing, removing difficulty

strongest monsters EXPECT you to use the limit breaks on them to beat them in decent time, leaving little room for higher level growth

Conclusion:
This game would have been great with a few tweaks(removal of the limit break exploit). Other than that Final Fantasy 8 didn't live up to the hype that it got back in the day. It had a very interesting first disc, the story was more than appealing, but it just wasn't as good as people have bloated it into... in my opinion of course.

The music was what really made me enjoy this game, and the only reason why I gave it a full play through. If nobuo uematsu hadn't done the sound track, i probably wouldn't have given the game a full play through. This game was great in general, the sound was awesome, the music was fantastic, the system was innovative and unique, the story followed final fantasy 4, 5, 6, and 7 in a respectable single standing manner. An overall great game with some flaws.

7/10 Final Fantasy 8

This post has been edited by Philacus: Jul 28 2011, 04:07 PM

--------------------
Buffet Bushi: I gain power with the belly slaps! *slaps belly*
Everyone else: ... Something is wrong with this guy.

+Quote Post

Draygone
post Jul 28 2011, 08:00 PM
Post #9

Group Icon

I liked FF8's story overall. Actually, about the only thing keeping it from being my favorite FF is the junction system. Too tedious to draw all those spells, and it seems almost required to draw a ton of them in order to be able to kill enemies in a respectable time. Especially bosses. My first time playing the game, I didn't have a good grasp on how the junction system worked, and it took FOREVER to kill bosses.

+Quote Post

BigEd781
post Jul 28 2011, 08:18 PM
Post #10

No method: 'stupid_title' found for 'nil:NilClass`
Group Icon

Type: Coder
Alignment: Chaotic Good

My least favorite of the "Real" Final Fantasies (i.e., X-II, 12, and 13 don't count.) It's still a good game, but I didn't like the brooding main character, I didn't like the stat boost system which forced you to horde your magic instead of, you know, using it, and I didn't like the graphical style.

--------------------
My blog - It's awesome, I assure you
While sloppy writing does not invariably mean sloppy thinking, we've generally found the correlation to be strong -- and we have no use for sloppy thinkers. If you can't yet write competently, learn to. - Eric Raymond

---
My awards for being so awesome
Spoiler:

+Quote Post

Astel
post Jul 28 2011, 10:01 PM
Post #11

Elitists of the world, beware.
Group Icon

What did i liked about FF8...? Let me see...

-Squall, at least before he lost his character.
-The Lionheart attack.
-And this...
Spoiler:

Everything else, not so much.

--------------------
Under Construction

+Quote Post

Jasonicus
post Jul 28 2011, 11:01 PM
Post #12

Old Friend
Group Icon

QUOTE (BigEd781 @ Jul 28 2011, 04:18 PM) *
My least favorite of the "Real" Final Fantasies (i.e., X-II, 12, and 13 don't count.) It's still a good game, but I didn't like the brooding main character, I didn't like the stat boost system which forced you to horde your magic instead of, you know, using it, and I didn't like the graphical style.

I was gonna say the same thing. I didn't like it all that much, decent game, but I think one of the boringest in the series.

--------------------
Trailer for It Came From Yesterday: Click Me

This was made by a dear friend of mine. Any support is appreciated! Also, Like the Facebook page while you're at it: It Came From Yesterday

New and improved official site: ICFY

Swagbucks referral link: http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/jbart321

+Quote Post

Dragoon1614
post Jul 29 2011, 01:55 AM
Post #13

Group Icon

Well on FF8 I'm finally done mastering the card game and was able to get high level spells in the balmab invasion of Dollet while keeping Squall and Zell at their initial lvls of 8 and 7. Lot of time wasted on that but the glory of it is doing a low-level run in this game

+Quote Post

Nanashi
post Aug 11 2011, 07:31 AM
Post #14

Group Icon

Type: Artist

I'll start with what I think could be different about it.

I would have like it if they expanded more on the world around them, since most of it is a msytery.

Even though the Guardian Force had importance and a few with a story given, it would be nice to know more about
how they came to be.

Not require Hero item to beat Omega Weapon XD

Kick Rinoa out for Quistis smile.gif

I think that's all, actually~

I loved the game and liked how they deviated from what VII was. Games are made to progress and I think it did, but was too difficult for some people. Definitely not like the easy Materia system, I think the developers wanted the Junction system to be more than just a battle system. It played in with the story as no one can use magic but a sorceress. Normal people had to extract it from monsters. I liked that, even though drawing is tedious. You can actually reach 100 relatively short, except for those that sucked at drawing (Zell).

I thought Junctioning would be hard but it was easy once you understood it. There was cause-and-effect. If you ran low on magic you could just use a GFs ability to create more from items you picked up.

Other than that, upgrading equipment instead of buying them added a new element, though challenging to gather the materials for some. And Lionheart was such a beautiful reward, second to Ultima Weapon of course~...I think.

The Limit Break system was believable as you didn't have to wait for the gauge to fill, but was enabled when you became critical. It was perfect for difficult enemies and boss fights, but didn't give too much leverage in my opinion. You had GFs and magic at your disposal and could be utilized however your strategy demanded.

Hmm. Items like potion and such seemed useless because you had Cure, drawn if you wanted, but Phoenix Down was needed if you didn't have Life yet.

The story and setting were wonderful! The post-apacolyptic environment was dreary in the last so I was happy that it changed in VIII. The story was great the whole way through, though I think when Squall showed he had a heart in the later discs, might have put some players off from it. VIII's theme was romance, of course~ He wasn't supposed to be dark and brooding forever, even though it was realistic from his background. So goth~ He never whined, at least (Tidus dry.gif).

And of course it got good when Laguna's story went more in-depth later on~ Though he searched high and low for Ellone, he exerted no effort to find his son...deadbeat bastard. T_T That part of the story made no sense to me. The game couldn't get into the character's backgrounds too much because, well, they were still kids. Not that much history behind them. It was more of the focus on their relationships with each other and the bonds. Even GFs took a role in the story that way, as they erased bits of their memory each time they were used.

Ultimecia was powerful, but not given the credit deserved. Their is no greater power than that of effecting time, if you think about it. Last, Lionheart limit break was amazing! I don't know how many times he hit, but with Renzokuken starting it off, I think his opponents would be disintegrated with slashes and bullet-holes.

One of my favorite Final Fantasies, even though the love scenes cheesed me out, I thought it was beautifully done and perfect continuation to the series. It just had the misfortune of being created after VII. Actually, all have suffered that...VII was amazing as it opened new doors with firsts, but it was not the best. If a company has to progress, they must make games better than the last, which I think they did on all accounts. FF X proved it by setting the sales record and being beloved many. I think VII has potential to be expanded on like IV, VII, X, and XIII. But, that might not happen.

--------------------

...If I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames, but have not love, I gain nothing. Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails....

+Quote Post

Draygone
post Aug 11 2011, 10:37 AM
Post #15

Group Icon

QUOTE (Nanashi @ Aug 11 2011, 02:31 AM) *
though I think when Squall showed he had a heart in the later discs, might have put some players off from it.

Actually I think it's Squall's brooding during the first half of the game that put people off. tongue.gif

+Quote Post

Nanashi
post Aug 11 2011, 10:53 AM
Post #16

Group Icon

Type: Artist

QUOTE (Draygone @ Aug 11 2011, 03:37 AM) *
Actually I think it's Squall's brooding during the first half of the game that put people off. tongue.gif

Haha, really? I liked it, so maybe I got it backwards~ He was more of a jerk than a brooder, unless talking about his little thoughts smile.gif What I don't get is why his personality changed in Kingdom Hearts games. Cloud acted more like him, so it seemed like they switched.

Aww, you didn't like XII? He did very well by the media and had mixed reviews with gamers. I've wondered what people didn't like about it besides the not so impressive story and Balthier. Makes me curious~

This post has been edited by Nanashi: Aug 11 2011, 10:56 AM

--------------------

...If I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames, but have not love, I gain nothing. Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails....

+Quote Post

Moururi
post Aug 11 2011, 11:43 AM
Post #17

Ocean Stars Falling...
Group Icon

Alignment: Neutral Good

QUOTE (Nanashi @ Aug 11 2011, 11:53 AM) *
Aww, you didn't like XII? He did very well by the media and had mixed reviews with gamers. I've wondered what people didn't like about it besides the not so impressive story and Balthier. Makes me curious~

Actually Balthier is one of the few things most people actually like about FFXII.

A lot of complaints are directed at the other characters, considering many of them are very bland and boring, and in the case of Vaan and Penelo don't even have a good reason for being there despite being the main characters.

Most also tend to find the gameplay very boring and tedious, but I personally find this with most FF games.

I've actually been replaying FFXII on a whim recently, I don't mind it much but it's fairly grindy.

+Quote Post

fmstwre
post Aug 11 2011, 02:32 PM
Post #18

Group Icon

Not a remendous fan of it. Stereotypical isolated character is just bleh. Square used him last game and pulled it off but two times in a row? No thanks. The leveling up system in my opinion sucked. You don't get any of that feeling inside when your characters are at a high enough level to one hit enemies that were giving you a hard time before. Also, I feel that the magic learning thing blowed. Same thing with the leveling. It gave you no premonition to grind, and since you don't learn spells by leveling, that makes fighting monsters useless, which makes the gameplay suck. And as a villian Ultimecia's not even attractive dry.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

Getdizzy
post Aug 11 2011, 06:37 PM
Post #19

Group Icon

QUOTE (BigEd781 @ Jul 28 2011, 04:18 PM) *

Yeah, I can't get into VIII. The stat boost system is, easily one of the most annoying customization system I've ever encountered in an RPG. On top of that it, BROKE really easily. Also, just, meh on the characters and story.

As for your other comment. X-2 is a ridiculously amazing game underneath all the girly camp stuff. And honestly the girly camp stuff is, HILARIOUS. Idk, to each their own.

+Quote Post

fmstwre
post Aug 11 2011, 06:45 PM
Post #20

Group Icon

X-2 is a ridiculously amazing game underneath all the girly camp stuff

FINALLY. Everyone gives that game so much crap for no reason in particular. It had such a fun battle system, and one of my favorite jobs, Blue Mage, kicked the ass it deserved to kick.

--------------------

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th August 2014 - 07:59 AM

RPGMakerVX.net is an Privacy Policy, Legal.