iPhone App Directory
RPG Maker VX

Gallery Members Search Calendar Help

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Collapse

>Announcement

Keep an eye out for the upcoming 3rd Quarter Contest!
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Seventh Castle, Classic Medieval Drama *Minor Update #1*
Kyriaki
post Jul 19 2011, 05:49 PM
Post #1

Reviewer
Group Icon

Type: Writer
Alignment: Lawful Neutral

All ideas appearing in this work are marginally cliché. Any resemblance to other Projects, current or dead, is purely coincidental.

This is the story of one woman, the intricate details of her undeserved rise to fame, and her slow descent from grace. Praefectus Evelia Quintana, the highest ranked General of Gaspania who has dedicated her very life to the Queen and all of her ambitions finds herself deeply troubled when she returns, after a long absence, only to discover that the throne is empty and it has remained so for the last five years that she has been away. When no one can answer her over the whereabouts of the Queen or how the country has been held together so long without a ruling monarch after just winning a war against its people, Evelia takes it upon herself to investigate the matter. However, she is not prepared for the things about to be revealed to her that will effect the very fate of the entire country; all the while she is haunted by her past and the dark history of the royal family of Gaspania.

These are the main characters the player will have access to controlling throughout the game, though the supporting cast is quite extensive including 90% of the models included with the RTP and others that are edits thereof.

Name: Evelia Quintana
Height: 5'8" (173 cm)
Weight: 136 lbs (62 kg)
Zodiac: Capricorn
Birthplace: Arcias
Weapon: Sword & Shield
Class: Praefectus
Personality: Evelia is disciplined, responsible, and serious, but she can be reserved, condescending, and finds it hard to open up to others.
Biography: As the leading general of the most powerful army in the entire world and personal guard to the royal family, Evelia has clawed her way up from a life of poverty to stand shoulder-to-shoulder with the most notable names of Gaspania, in a position that is normally reserved for nobles.

Name: Noemi Pascal
Height: 5"2" (157 cm)
Weight: 118 lbs (54 kg)
Zodiac: Virgo
Birthplace: Lampont
Weapon: Staff
Class: Aedilis
Personality: Noemi is modest, compassionate, and reliable, but she can be gullible, oblivious, and a worrier.
Biography: An orphaned young lady who has lived her entire life in one of Gaspania's poorest villages, studying medicine and tending to the other orphaned children there. Her life changed completely one day when the Praefectus suddenly appeared in Lampont, and after some time together took the young girl away from the life she had been living.

Name: Genevieve Cavanaugh
Height: 5'4" (163 cm)
Weight: 124 lbs (56 kg)
Zodiac: Sagittarius
Birthplace: Foubrecque
Weapon: Claymore
Class: Princeps
Personality: Genevieve is honest, straightforward, and has a strong sense of justice, but she can be tactless, irresponsible, and rambunctious.
Biography: Born into a noble family known for their military prowess, Genevieve has a talent with a claymore that many of common nobility envy. She has idolized the legendary Lady Evelia ever since she was a very young girl and has made an attempt to follow in her footsteps by joining the Royal Army.

Name: Marion Dietrich
Height: 5'6" (168 cm)
Weight: 130 lbs (59 kg)
Zodiac: Pisces
Birthplace: Edulach
Weapon: Dagger
Class: Veles
Personality: Marion is attentive, composed, and intelligent, but she can be pessimistic, sullen, and untrusting of others.
Biography: Originally a foreigner to Gaspania, Marion has been taken in under the wing of the sovereign country, never straying far from the capital city for fear of the Gaspanian commoner and what they think of her kind. She is the last of a dragon-like race that can take human form known as the Nichthein, because of this her life is protected under royal decree.

Set in the most powerful country of the known world, Gaspania, it is the year 392 A.P. (Ateleiotos Pali - "Unending Strife" - so named by the Order of Euphium), and they have entered into a time of peace despite the monsters that roam the countryside and a civil war that ended just five years prior. Gaspania has ruled for hundreds of years knowing nothing but good fortune. What started as a small kingdom in the northwestern region of the continent has taken over the entire landmass, from the frigid north to the arid south all that is on the western continent belongs to Gaspania. The eastern continent, home to other prominant but much weaker kingdoms, dare not even look to the west in fear of offending the massive kingdom, though it's people have been known to emigrate from there, pooling at the south of the Gaspania as unwanted refugees - a people without a country.

The Order of Euphium
A sect that has been watching over Gaspania since it's inception. Situated at the center of the continent, it has remained aloof from the passage of time and the happenings of the growing country around it for hundreds of years. It's members are comprised of a people not native to the country and view the people of Gaspania as nothing more than "mongrels" not even fit to rule over themselves. As such, they dictate many things behind the scenes, unknown to much of the populace.

However, when King Alamilla takes to the throne, Gaspania's prosperity takes a turn for the worse. He seems to blatantly ignore his duties to the Kingdom, agreeing to the very bare minimum when he takes the hand of Lady Magdalena in an arranged marriage. Like any good wife, now Queen Magdalena sees the broken country at her feet and does whatever she can to limit suffering and endear herself to the people of Gaspania. She takes a tour of the country to assess the damage while trying to make sense of it all, as the King remains silent about to the real issue at hand. When she returns to Gaspania, however, Sorceress Leocadia enters the picture with a list of demands.

The Thaumaturgy Campaign (370 A.P. - 374 A.P.)
Leocadia does not make the details known of her prior relationship to the King, but she does reveal the existence of a world beyond their own: one that needs to be made whole with the world they know by the breaking of a seal known as the "Arcana Veil". The endeavor to do such becomes known as the Working of Miracles Campaign or "The Thaumatugy Campaign". Once the fabric in reality is torn two things happen simultaneously: the use of magic becomes possible within all living beings on the western continent and magical beasts along with other sentient beings that had been living quietly in the parallel world either retaliate violently or go into hiding.

Three years pass before anyone sees an official make a public statement on the matter of the campaign. The Royal Army has done away with as many of the menacing beasts as it could, but some prove to be too resilient to be done away with entirely. The King has all but disappeared from public view, something the people of Gaspania are not too unfamiliar with, as being ruled over a monarchy without a face had become something they were used to. The Queen is left to her own devices so over the next three years she takes it upon herself to send aide across the country to clean up the mess that has been made, little by little a very clear vision begins forming in her mind of a better future for Gaspania.

The Sunset War (380 A.P. - 387 A.P.)
When the Queen publicly anounces her plan for a "better Gaspania", having gathered every prominent official throughout the country, it is met with complete outrage and revulsion. A country where much weaker women would have more rights than men who were far stronger would become second class citizens was unacceptable the officials clearly explain, but when the Queen refuses to listen to their rebuttal the result is a civil war that lasts seven years and shakes Gaspania to its very core. Because it has the potential to change the very function of the country itself, bringing everything Gaspania knows to an end, it becomes known as the "Sunset War" that started with the simple words, "I vow to never see another woman suffer again".

A deep, romantic, classical RPG storyline: you are playing as Evelia and learning how you have and how you continue to influence the lives of those around you in a true fantasy-medieval setting.
100% original music by various artists, no reconstituted game or retail music.
Crisp, clean menus: organize your skills and items, and learn more about them through more than just the help texts, descriptions will be attached to each and every selection – including the ability to view states and their descriptions.
An intuitive battle system featuring OriginalWij's Rear-view Interactive Battle System, not only will you have to worry about hitting your mark on the Judgement Ring for characters with varying Ring Speed based on their individual personalities, but understanding enemies' strengths and weaknesses will play a large role in both your run-of-the-mill battles and major bosses.
Monitor your party's health not only through HP and MP bars, but through changing facial expressions that also include being afflicted with certain states.
Enemies that wander on-screen: tilt the battle in your favor or against you, surprise and be surprised by them, meet them head on, or avoid them completely.
A unique equipment system: equip more than what the default system allows and learn to rely on a myriad of accessories and equipment that will mean victory or demise against more complicated enemies.
Sidequests that teach you more about the world of Gaspania, your party members, and even the story behind minor characters while rewarding extra items, skills, and equipment.
A choose-your-destination world map, so you won't have to spend time walking between place to place once you've unlocked new areas.
A complex shopping system: only certain places will sell certain items and you may have to backtrack to get what you want, but play your cards right and you can have whatever you specify delivered right to you in any dungeon.
Explore detailed maps of elegant cities and natural dungeons: swamp, forest, desert, beach and much more all in an effort to reveal the mysteries of The Seventh Castle.

Currently, this is a compilation of Screenshots from a technical demo, so they will be small, a little uniform, and a bit sparse. They are here to show the general mapping style I will be using in official maps, comments and critiques are welcome even though these are just samples. (The World Map, Menu Scene, and Battle Scene designs will carry over to the official release.)
Spoiler:

Mapping Samples
Spoiler:

Menus & Battle (Battle Stats shown are grossly inaccurate.)
Spoiler:

I have always felt RTP characters do not get enough credit as resources you can use in a serious story, so I started this project around this time last year, to show that they can be used enjoyably in more than just first time trial projects and parodies. The story that I have written out for these characters is wholly based on impressions of the character designs and things I felt went unaddressed in most other people's projects such as the use of strong female archetypes and a solid storyline where the black and white nature of good and evil fades into shades of gray. Even though it has been some time since I began thinking up this project, taking my time with it has helped me to find scripts, fixes, and other resources I would have otherwise missed out on. Now I feel I am ready to share my project but that it still needs quite a bit more work before it is finished. I have made a few technical demos but only just recently started work on eventing, mapping and filling in the database for the official game. Though I am happy to say, the story and scripting are 100% complete and the graphics 75%, but I am still trying to decide between regular or parallax mapping.

Cozziekuns, IceDragon, Jet, Modern Algebra, OriginalWij, and Rajawali for helping me out with requests and fixes that went towards the unveiling of this Project. (Official Credits for everyone will be found at the end of the Game.)

Please do not ask in the thread, leave me a PM and I will get back to you. I am interested in people who are familiar with VX and will have constructive criticism on the direction of the project, use of resources, mapping, battle system, and errors that might pop up.

If you like this Project and would like to support it, please put this in your Signature. Any support is very much appreciated. ^^
CODE
[url="http://www.rpgmakervx.net/index.php?showtopic=47769"][img]http://i978.photobucket.com/albums/ae262/SevenKalmia/The%20Seventh%20Castle/TSCUserbarNEW.png[/img][/url]

*In a number of packages: With or Without the RTP, and With or Without the BGM folder.

This game is suitable for ages 13 and older.
Contains: violence, suggestive themes, crude humor, minimal blood, and infrequent use of strong language.

--------------------
.: Current Project :.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

hugak
post Jul 25 2011, 07:23 AM
Post #2

Group Icon

Alignment: True Neutral

This Game really actually looks quite good, I have never been a fan of the RTP, especially the tilesets, but you have mixed them in and it looks really good!
The characters look good too, even if they have come from the RTP, thank god for no Ralph! (I think it may be the tileset letting the RTP down!)
It's also nice to see someone not using a sbs! I did notice a little mapping error on the 6th picture showing your samples, but apart from that, they look good too. The characters look well defined, and its good too see that we have a disciplined main character!
Good luck with the project!

--------------------
My Project:
Spoiler:

Respite - 5%
Features:

• Heavily Edited Mack and Hanzo Tilesets
  • Edited Scripts including Melody
  • Heavily focused on Story, Graphics, and Music.

The silly test I did...
Spoiler:

+Quote Post

Luchino-chan
post Jul 26 2011, 09:17 AM
Post #3

Mistress of none.
Group Icon

Type: Designer
Alignment: Neutral Good

Hey Kyriaki. It's nice to see your game thread finally up. I have to agree with hugak. Finally we have an adult, mature female protagonist who is over the age of 30 and fits in well with her world and the relevant characters. I admit, I was already loving the sound of it from the first few paragraphs. It's one of the few games I've seen with a detailed world and history chronicling the game's timeline, so kudos to that. smile.gif Aaand, an all-female cast! You've actually made the RTP characters look good.

I've never been a fan of it in general, but because you have such a well thought-out story and world, the RTP can be easily overlooked.

I actually see alot of similarity between Evelia and Laine. She sort of reminds me of my favorite Fire Emblem character. smile.gif

Anyway, I will be keeping an eye on this, when I pop in from time to time. ^^

--------------------
Developer and author of:

Dev blog:

I support:
Spoiler:

My tutorials: Bringing you quality tutorials, from me to you.
- Create a gorgeous valley with Mack tiles, Luchi-style.
- An advanced tutorial showing how you can add features such as an in-game gallery, a character biography or even an in-game tutorial!

+Quote Post

ak47lol
post Jul 26 2011, 01:58 PM
Post #4

Group Icon

Alignment: Chaotic Evil

I like the uniqueness of the story, the characters are very interesting too.
Looking forward to give this a try.
Oh, and I love the world map! smile.gif

This post has been edited by ak47lol: Jul 26 2011, 01:59 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post

Ronove
post Jul 26 2011, 02:05 PM
Post #5

I do not bite!
Group Icon

I'm looking forward to giving this a try as well. It sounds interesting. biggrin.gif Do you have a date that you plan to have a demo released or any ideas when besides soon? :3

+Quote Post

Kyriaki
post Jul 26 2011, 04:43 PM
Post #6

Reviewer
Group Icon

Wow, thank you very much everyone, I was beginning to think no one here would be interested in this project. But actually, yes I am currently working on a demo that is slated to be released by the end of the week. Though if there is a delay it is because I am trying out parallax mapping for the first time. It is only going to be a small portion of gameplay, but will feature part of a city and a dungeon with a boss, much dialogue, and fancy music. ^^

Here is a small screenshot of the begining, it is morning at an inn.

--------------------

+Quote Post

M@pple
post Aug 24 2011, 10:34 AM
Post #7

Writer in Training
Group Icon

Wow i'm VERY impressed, loved your characters they look solid and likeable, the features are very unique and i liked the setting. keep up the good work.

+Quote Post

Steysel
post Sep 6 2011, 01:47 PM
Post #8

Freaky Geeky Nerdy Guy
Group Icon

A stroke of uniqueness. And this is the second game that I know on this site, after Spellbinder, that uses RIBS, which is awesome.
Lookin forward to play it. rolleyes.gif biggrin.gif

--------------------
I support :
Spoiler:

+Quote Post

RoseReveries
post Sep 8 2011, 12:35 PM
Post #9

Luuuuurrrrk >.>
Group Icon

This sounds really interesting! biggrin.gif
I'm on the same side as Luchino-chan and Hugak, I usually don't like the RTP, but I think you have executed it very well^^ I'm really looking forward to playing this!

+Quote Post

Luchino-chan
post Sep 12 2011, 06:07 AM
Post #10

Mistress of none.
Group Icon

Kyriaki, any updates you'd like to enlighten us about? smile.gif

--------------------
Developer and author of:

Dev blog:

I support:
Spoiler:

- An advanced tutorial showing how you can add features such as an in-game gallery, a character biography or even an in-game tutorial!

+Quote Post

Kyriaki
post Sep 12 2011, 12:49 PM
Post #11

Reviewer
Group Icon

Things have been busy around here lately, so you'll have to forgive me for completely blowing off my own deadline. But I do want to say that I haven't forgotten about the Project and have been working on it little by little. After some miscellaneous adventures with parallax mapping, I had decided to use some of the junk maps on a completely separate demo I have no plans on releasing for now. As it showcases minor characters and is mainly used for some much needed eventing practice after working mostly on system graphics, script testing, and the like. That said, I can show you the new windowskin I worked on with some border edits thanks to Kajini, she helped me place the roses into the corners.

The rose used for the border is by Neo Himeism and the pixel pattern in the background, "Kurrvy", is by Harri Leppälä.

I can promise you a much lengthier demo than I originally planned since everyone has been waiting, but not a release date. I will make sure to update regularly from now on. Thank you for all of the support, it is really helping me get through the frustrating parts of the Project!

--------------------

+Quote Post

Kyriaki
post Oct 2 2011, 08:50 AM
Post #12

Reviewer
Group Icon

Minor Update #1: Tutorials, Quests, and Statistics (Oh my!)
- Stat Refinement
- Tutorial
- New Maps
- Quest System

Going to apologize one more time for the slow progress, but in this case any news is good news, right? ^^; Since I posted the thread, I have been constantly working out bugs and refining things as far as scripts, dialogue, and mapping goes. However, I tend to get overcritical of what it is exactly I want to portray and how to go about doing so. So, lately I have been going with my gut to get things done and this is what I have so far.

Stat Refinement
There is a little more to the battle stats ATK, DEF, SPI, and AGI now along with the addition of a few new stats that will make the battle system even more interesting. All of the stats from the default system have been renamed and are explained in detail in the Tutorial.

Tutorial

The Tutorial will be accessible as soon as the game is loaded as a selection on the Title Screen so that you will not have to skip it on multiple playthroughs within the game. Lydia, the Dark Rider, is a minor character that guides you through the tutorial, but will be a major part of a subquest late into the game. She will explain how to get around, use of each and every menu, and a detailed walkthrough of the battle system. It is for beginners and advanced players alike.

Quaesitio

The quest system (called Quaesitio in the main menu) will display the Main Objective at the top: it is the main story and as you progress it will change. The "inquiries found" will be an indicator of how far along you are in the current Main Objective. As for the Secondary Objectives at the bottom, that will be a list of your subquests. the percentage in the upper right corner of the window will tell you how many are done in relation to how many there are. As far as the game goes, there will be the option to only follow the main quest at the sacrifice of extra story content and gameplay found in subquests.

New Maps
Spoiler:

Here are 3 maps of the castle area (the castle, a waiting area, and the bridge/moat separating it from the city). I was thinking of doing a "stage" type setting and making most of the maps exactly 544x416 with a fadeless transfer; with only a very few maps exceeding those dimensions.

*While all of the above mentioned features and maps are subject to change, they will all be shown in the upcoming demo. Critique and criticism are fully encouraged.

--------------------

+Quote Post

EvilEagles
post Oct 2 2011, 09:19 AM
Post #13

Viva La Revolución!
Group Icon

Alignment: Unaligned

Actually I was going to ask for some updates today tongue.gif
These are so very very lovely wink.gif so, there's a plan of releasing a demo? When is it?
P/S: Sighhhh ... I think I should start learning parallax mapping too sad.gif

+Quote Post

Ronove
post Oct 2 2011, 12:33 PM
Post #14

I do not bite!
Group Icon

Wonderful progress!

The second castle map I think needs a bit of polishing though. While I love the brick path, it looks a tad off next to the path from XP's RTP. Though I think I'll get used to that. Either the brick path needs to move down a pixel in that screenshot, or the bridge bannisters do. You can see a line where the brick path and the XP RTP path meets and since it's one pixel underneath the bannister, it's just all looking a tad jarring. Otherwise, very wonderful maps! I like the idea of the fadeless transfer you mention.

I can't wait for a demo! smile.gif

+Quote Post

Luchino-chan
post Oct 2 2011, 06:26 PM
Post #15

Mistress of none.
Group Icon

You know, this game is just so graceful and elegant. From the maps to the windowskin ( the black and white color scheme only makes it better ), has a simplistic, yet appealing feel to it. I also like the look of that tutorial section. Mind sharing how you added it to the main menu, Kyriaki? smile.gif

Great work so far. Keep those updates coming. And I too, await that demo. No rush though. Good things come to those who wait. wink.gif

--------------------
Developer and author of:

Dev blog:

I support:
Spoiler:

+Quote Post

Kyriaki
post Oct 3 2011, 05:55 AM
Post #16

Reviewer
Group Icon

@EvilEagles: I want to come out with a complete demo sometime soon, ideally within the month, but progress may be even slower through October due to real life engagements. And well there is a contest going on, a little hard to resist... ><; Actually, I thought you were already parallax mapping in your game but since that's not the case you use the regular editor mapping quite well.

@Ronove: I have to re-do the entire brick flooring for the middle map anyway so that it "meets seamlessly" with the map above it, but I will keep those edits in mind. Just to clarify it's the unsightly bright white line between the XP RTP, banister, and the brick floor? By the way I've always loved your name, it is one of my favorites from The Lesser Key of Solomon. ^^

@Luchino-chan: A good reporter never reveals her sources. laugh.gif I added the Tutorial selection to the main menu using Cozziekuns' Custom Title Screen over at rmrk.net. While you're there, I recommend grabbing Modern Algebra's Scene Tutorial also if you intend to do something similar. ^^ I think those two are absolutely perfect scripts everyone should have in their project, but I am an organizational freak as it is so I am a little biased. Also, yes I love using a minimalist style especially when it comes to this project in particular, so I am glad you enjoy it. The only thing that bothers me sometimes is that I won't add enough detail to my maps because of it.

Other than that, thank you very much for the compliments, I was actually worried the maps would be "too this" or "too that". I can continue mapping with confidence. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

hkoz
post Oct 21 2011, 05:00 PM
Post #17

Group Icon

Type: Undisclosed
Alignment: Chaotic Good

Gambatte Sensei iam rooting for you the game looks amazing every time i look at it i see its quite will made even the story it give you the feeling of the historical epicness of the game.XD i cant wait for the demo

--------------------
My Projects:
-The Lost Myth(in progress)
-Soul list (my game for the free for all contest 2011)

Spoiler:

I support:

+Quote Post

mgalekgolo1
post Nov 23 2011, 03:38 AM
Post #18

I was going to put something here, I just know it!
Group Icon

Type: Coder
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral

I don't mean to bump, not sure what the guidelines are for that on this site but w/e. Genevieve!. its Genevieve Kavanagh though. Not sure if that was intentional or not. Glad to see someone else is stealing from night's dawn. I'll PM you for beta.

--------------------
"An original storyline"
My project:

Support:

+Quote Post

Kyriaki
post Nov 23 2011, 04:33 AM
Post #19

Reviewer
Group Icon

@hkoz: Thank you for the support!

@mgalekgolo1: Actually, I have never heard of that series before and I got the names for the characters somewhat randomly going by what looked nice together and would fit the semi-fantasy-realism I was going for using the sites behindthename and behindthesurname. ^^; So, it is just a huge coincidence.

I just wanted to post to say this project is not dead, but I have started a new job so production has slowed down a bit more while I get used to my schedule, as it is a bit random. In the meantime, I have finalized the coloring/mapping style I want to use as far as the demo is concerned. Here are some screenshots for critiquing.

The rest is just boring test notes for script compatibility and usage, eventing, yada yada. There will be a more extensive report later on, thanks for looking!

--------------------

+Quote Post

EvilEagles
post Nov 23 2011, 04:53 AM
Post #20

Viva La Revolución!
Group Icon

Alignment: Unaligned

Yay yay yay updates! ^^

Things look even more awesome now. I especially like the first screenshot tongue.gif and the second one, would be nicer if you added some lighting wink.gif

Also, congratulations for having a new job happy.gif

Meh. I seriously must learn to be patient and wait tongue.gif

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd July 2014 - 08:24 AM

RPGMakerVX.net is an Privacy Policy, Legal.