iPhone App Directory
RPG Maker VX

Gallery Members Search Calendar Help

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Collapse

>Announcement

Keep an eye out for the upcoming 3rd Quarter Contest!

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Quick Question: Ruby in comparison to C++
doomed2die
post Jul 29 2011, 04:54 PM
Post #1

Group Icon

Type: Designer

Just how difficult is Ruby in comparison to C++? And since most OOP languages are fairly similar in structure, how much faster would knowing C++ speed up the process of learning Ruby? Also, how different is the syntax? I get I'll have to learn a whole bunch of new function names and all but would it carry over to learning new syntax as well? Any quick comparisons between the 2 while we're at it?

I probably won't learn Ruby for a while but I'm learning C++ and Ruby is next on my list for OOP languages so... tongue.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

BigEd781
post Jul 29 2011, 05:05 PM
Post #2

No method: 'stupid_title' found for 'nil:NilClass`
Group Icon

Type: Coder
Alignment: Chaotic Good

The main difference does not lie in the implementation of object oriented paradigms (though the implementation is semantically quite different), it's in the difference between a statically typed and dynamic language. These are two very different paradigms and it is worth learning both (I typically encourage learning different languages that use different paradigms, not 5 languages that are all relatively similar).

The move will be a bit jarring at first. You have no compiler to tell you when you've done something stupid. You don't have to forward declare your variables. You have much higher level structures at your disposal (i.e., built in iterators, dynamically sized arrays, etc.) and meta programming like you will never see in C++. Once you're ready, just give it a try. Ruby was my first dynamic language too, and it took a little bit to get used to doing things in a "Rubyish/dynamic" way, but you'll get there, and it's fun too! You'll find that you will likely enjoy the act of writing code more in a language like Ruby because the language itself makes things easy on you. It's not that C++ is bad or worse, it's just a different tool for a different set of jobs./

--------------------
My blog - It's awesome, I assure you
While sloppy writing does not invariably mean sloppy thinking, we've generally found the correlation to be strong -- and we have no use for sloppy thinkers. If you can't yet write competently, learn to. - Eric Raymond

---
My awards for being so awesome
Spoiler:

+Quote Post

VII
post Jul 31 2011, 05:00 AM
Post #3

Group Icon

Alignment: Unaligned

QUOTE (doomed2die @ Jul 29 2011, 11:54 AM) *
Just how difficult is Ruby in comparison to C++? And since most OOP languages are fairly similar in structure, how much faster would knowing C++ speed up the process of learning Ruby? Also, how different is the syntax? I get I'll have to learn a whole bunch of new function names and all but would it carry over to learning new syntax as well? Any quick comparisons between the 2 while we're at it?

I probably won't learn Ruby for a while but I'm learning C++ and Ruby is next on my list for OOP languages so... tongue.gif

Honestly you should learn Java or C# first. Seriously Java is the easiest Language to learn for beginners. The only downside is you will love using it...to the point that you will hate Ruby and its syntax.

QUOTE (BigEd781 @ Jul 29 2011, 12:05 PM) *
The main difference does not lie in the implementation of object oriented paradigms (though the implementation is semantically quite different), it's in the difference between a statically typed and dynamic language. These are two very different paradigms and it is worth learning both (I typically encourage learning different languages that use different paradigms, not 5 languages that are all relatively similar).

The move will be a bit jarring at first. You have no compiler to tell you when you've done something stupid. You don't have to forward declare your variables. You have much higher level structures at your disposal (i.e., build in iterators, dynamically sized arrays, etc.) and meta programming like you will never see in C++. Once your ready, just give it a try. Ruby was my first dynamic language too, and it took a little bit to get used to doing things in a "Rubyish/dynamic" way, but you'll get there, and it's fun too! You'll find that you will likely enjoy the act of writing code more in a language like Ruby because the language itself makes things easy on you. It's not that C++ is bad or worse, it's just a different tool for a different set of jobs./

Like always though i can never challenge the wisdom of BigEd, man is like Silent Bob...doesn't talk often, but when he does he blows your fucking mind.

Also, if your looking for Tutorials for a bunch of different languages you should definitly try out:

Im the baddass mofo named Krynn

This post has been edited by VII: Jul 31 2011, 05:08 AM

+Quote Post

doomed2die
post Aug 1 2011, 12:09 AM
Post #4

Group Icon

QUOTE (BigEd781 @ Jul 29 2011, 06:05 PM) *

The move will be a bit jarring at first. You have no compiler to tell you when you've done something stupid. You don't have to forward declare your variables. You have much higher level structures at your disposal (i.e., build in iterators, dynamically sized arrays, etc.) and meta programming like you will never see in C++. Once your ready, just give it a try. Ruby was my first dynamic language too, and it took a little bit to get used to doing things in a "Rubyish/dynamic" way, but you'll get there, and it's fun too! You'll find that you will likely enjoy the act of writing code more in a language like Ruby because the language itself makes things easy on you. It's not that C++ is bad or worse, it's just a different tool for a different set of jobs./

Not having to forward declare variables sounds nice actually xD

Yeah, I'm quite aware of the different mindset of C++ and Ruby. I've seen the website for both creators and their introductions. To be completely honest, C++ sounds more practical for a lot of real life applications but I might be mistaken.

You didn't really explicitly state the difficulty and comparisons at all though tongue.gif I kind of get that it depends per person but... xD

QUOTE (VII @ Jul 31 2011, 06:00 AM) *
Honestly you should learn Java or C# first. Seriously Java is the easiest Language to learn for beginners. The only downside is you will love using it...to the point that you will hate Ruby and its syntax.

Syntax errors are common enough that it seems quite irrelevant. lol

At any rate, C++ is the most practical for some other stuff I'm doing (and because it's stuff plural). It's on a need by need basis (which is why Ruby is low priority but scripting seems interesting in of itself) so I probably won't learn C#. Also, I'm taking a class for Java (I think... Very vague; long story. No it's not a stupid headfirst dive) so I'll probably finish JAVA THEN C++ as of now though.

Like always though i can never challenge the wisdom of BigEd, man is like Silent Bob...doesn't talk often, but when he does he blows your fucking mind.

Also, if your looking for Tutorials for a bunch of different languages you should definitly try out:

Spoiler:

Im the baddass mofo named Krynn

Will do. There's plenty of tutorials out there anyway smile.gif

+Quote Post

Xyphon
post Aug 13 2011, 08:42 PM
Post #5

I only have one gear: Go!
Group Icon

Alignment: Chaotic Evil

I just started learning Ruby and well, it is quite easy if you already know a programming language. I have known PHP since I was 12 and granted it is quite a bit different than Ruby but I am picking up on Ruby fairly quickly. It also helps that in RMVX there is so much stuff already done for you, that you can look at the scripts that RMVX comes with and pick up some of the basics from that.
I've tried learning C# and Java and C++ before, and it's not that they are too hard, but I just found them boring to learn. Surprising that this is coming from someone who knows PHP, which is an extremely boring language because it can't make much that is actually entertaining. I plan on learning Java and C# sometime in the future, maybe really soon, but not right now.

--------------------
Ahoy there sailor, can you do the otter dance? First you take your right flipper and you slap it on your pants. Next you take your left flipper and you catch a little fish. Then you take your little tail and you swish swish swish!

+Quote Post

BigEd781
post Aug 13 2011, 10:25 PM
Post #6

Group Icon

QUOTE (Xyphon @ Aug 13 2011, 01:42 PM) *
...PHP, which is an extremely boring language because it can't make much that is actually entertaining.

Right, except when you consider that the vast majority of web apps are written in PHP, including Facebook, Yahoo!, YouTube, and Wikipedia.

--------------------
While sloppy writing does not invariably mean sloppy thinking, we've generally found the correlation to be strong -- and we have no use for sloppy thinkers. If you can't yet write competently, learn to. - Eric Raymond

---
Spoiler:

+Quote Post

Xyphon
post Aug 13 2011, 10:33 PM
Post #7

Group Icon

QUOTE (BigEd781 @ Aug 13 2011, 07:25 PM) *
Right, except when you consider that the vast majority of web apps are written in PHP, including Facebook, Yahoo!, YouTube, and Wikipedia.

Opinions, opinions. I find web apps written in PHP to be mind-numbingly boring. I've made a few websites in PHP that a lot of people consider to be fun, but I personally dislike them quite a bit. I used to like them when I enjoyed playing those games, but I don't anymore.
EDIT: And I never said you can't make anything popular, I said entertaining. Yahoo and wikipedia don't entertain me, facebook is only entertaining because it has such a big userbase, so you can talk to all of your friends, and youtube is fun because of the videos.. Which I believe are run by a player made in Flash.

This post has been edited by Xyphon: Aug 13 2011, 10:35 PM

--------------------
Ahoy there sailor, can you do the otter dance? First you take your right flipper and you slap it on your pants. Next you take your left flipper and you catch a little fish. Then you take your little tail and you swish swish swish!

+Quote Post

BigEd781
post Aug 13 2011, 10:35 PM
Post #8

Group Icon

It's not opinion, it is fact. PHP is by far the most popular Web 2.0 language and it runs all sorts of highly scalable and interesting sites. I wouldn't consider you an authority on the matter, and this is from a guy who can't stand PHP as a language.

--------------------

---
Spoiler:

+Quote Post

Xyphon
post Aug 13 2011, 10:40 PM
Post #9

Group Icon

QUOTE (BigEd781 @ Aug 13 2011, 07:35 PM) *
It's not opinion, it is fact. PHP is by far the most popular Web 2.0 language and it runs all sorts of highly scalable and interesting sites. I wouldn't consider you an authority on the matter, and this is from a guy who can't stand PHP as a language.

Interesting and highly scalable are not the same as "entertaining". By entertaining I mean something that I personally find fun in, like video games or television. Considering what one finds entertaining is subjective, it can be nothing but an opinion. It is not fact that there are tons of entertaining sites made with PHP, it is an opinion. And this is coming from a guy who's best language is PHP and uses it all the time, still makes websites with PHP, has made very large scripts with PHP, and even freelances scripting in PHP.

--------------------

+Quote Post

BigEd781
post Aug 14 2011, 01:11 AM
Post #10

Group Icon

Ok, fair enough, just seems like a very narrow and uninformed opinion to me.

--------------------

---
Spoiler:

+Quote Post

Xyphon
post Aug 14 2011, 01:25 AM
Post #11

Group Icon

QUOTE (BigEd781 @ Aug 13 2011, 10:11 PM) *
Ok, fair enough, just seems like a very narrow and uninformed opinion to me.

It's more like.. I'm not very easily entertained. Or I suppose it's most probably due to the fact that I used to spend a lot of time on text based games and I have probably spent a little too much.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Esrever
post Oct 14 2011, 11:36 AM
Post #12

Group Icon

Type: Musician

I'll just leave this here.

To Ruby From C and C++

*backs away slowly*

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd July 2014 - 06:37 PM

RPGMakerVX.net is an Privacy Policy, Legal.